Justinian
+1|6771
I've seen some pretty crazy things in BF2, and I've seen some pretty impossible stuff. But never have I seen a tank look up and blow a jet out of the sky before. Never.

There I am, flying along at 1000 mph. I spot a tank, in a second I'm over the base. In another second two 2000-lb bombs will be dropping on top of him and I will be in a tight turn to return to the carrier.

Except, in that one second interval (and that's a generous estimate for the time it takes an afterburner jet to fly over a base) the tank points up and blows me out of the sky with its main gun. Just like that. Thump ka-BOOM, I die.

It takes a pretty decent tank gunner to hit a helicopter with the main gun. But a JET? Impossible.

https://img379.imageshack.us/img379/5724/hacks9it.th.jpg

Unfortunately I didn't take the screenie  soon enough to catch the debris of my jet (it hit the ground), but just LOOK.

Is that POSSIBLE?

PS. Yeah, I know it was immature to shout 'hacks' but I was freaking shocked.

Last edited by Justinian (2006-01-19 05:03:37)

$kelet0r
+16|6674
yes of course it is possible
the only problem is that the plane has to have been partially damaged before it started its cannon run because the time taken to shoot at the plane with machine guns and a shell will not destroy a jet outright
i've done it on gulf of oman and kubra dam but its not worth the hassle - hit smoke and move your ass
Angel.C-sq
+24|6680|Computer Chair
Dont know could be a weird glitch, I have been awarded kills with guns I didnt even carry at the time.
Justinian
+1|6771
I was at full health.
Belx
+4|6670|New York, New York
Maybe it was just a lucky shot...we're all had them.
$kelet0r
+16|6674
well then you were just unlucky
for example last night i hit a f35b on wake with a motherload of machinegun fire and a shell in the space of a second (planes see you before you see them ) and he got away probably with one bar - but he survived
the lesson to learn here is that a good tanker can hit anything so adjust your technique to attack from a higher angle form now on
Justinian
+1|6771
Now I'm scared.
RAS_ace10
+12|6745
happened to my friend aswell, he coiln't beleive it either
cocoasdad
+0|6734
I was flying on Wake yesterday and was making a run at the airfield. All the sudden I'm just blown up, nobody near me and no alarms going off. I looked up at the ticker and it said I was killed by artillery.

I know a helo can get smashed as it flys over the cannons, now I know it can happen in a jet as well.
mjw
The All Rounder
+22|6751|Rotherham, England
its definetely possible, one of my clanmates did it in M1A2 on kubra dam. The bomber aircraft had just took off at MEC airbase and we were cappin the flag, the bomber pilot noticed the flag went neutral and came back round for a bombing run and he got slightly too low and my clanmate shot teh tank shell at him and destroyed the jet in one shot. It was very nice, looked awesome.
polarbearz
Raiders of the Lost Bear
+-1,474|6781|Singapore

Nope. I just got shot out for the 2nd time of my plane flying career by a tank today on Daqing. Approached too straight, too low, too slow. Paid for it.
timboon
+2|6708
yep did it on wake after like 20 hrs in a jet ive neva seen it b4, but on wake in one shot he fluked it and took me out, just lucky i guess.
PHaze
+0|6708

cocoasdad wrote:

I was flying on Wake yesterday and was making a run at the airfield. All the sudden I'm just blown up, nobody near me and no alarms going off. I looked up at the ticker and it said I was killed by artillery.

I know a helo can get smashed as it flys over the cannons, now I know it can happen in a jet as well.
hehe.
happened to me aswell - on oman .
i was flying straight to a flag to bomb it when a artillery strike started to rain from the sky. i didn't care and flow straight thru it ... imagine what happend?! KABOOOOM...
damn i was so shocked from the sudden impact.

how much is the probability of such an event? - i must be a very lucky man , i guess
ResDog1
+51|6757|Netherlands
It is not a glitch.

I have done it once...
the F22 was coming straight at me, I aimed a bit above him to compensate for the arch of the shell.
It was pure luck combined with the fact that he had his thrusters in full reverse, to take aim for the bombdrop.
Snakestyles
+17|6729|South Africa
Have shot a bomber out the sky with the main tank gun on Kubra dam. The jets go down with one AT shot so yea a tank round can do the damage its all about placement and timing.
A=10
+-2|6779|U.K DURHAM
yer i always kill a jet with 1 shot when i hit 1 thats is but on gulf of oman you can kill loads of jets on that map with a tank.i sit my tank on the bank some times and wait for em to come over you know they will dive to try kill ya ass. thats why i bomb from right above not 25 foot off the ground like i see most doing if you do that then a tank will get you some time.
0ktane
Negative Ping
+55|6759|Arizona
A few months back...my bro and I were playin on Oman.  We took an apc from the beach, and started to drive to the carrier.  Well, a jet spots us, comes by, misses...the takes off to make another approach.  Even with the bouncy water, my bro launched the rocket and took it out...was pretty intense, especially your first time doin it. 
Cbass
Kick His Ass!
+371|6686|Howell, Mi USA
No it is possable iv done it alot. each time though the jet was already damaged. i nailed them when they slow down  to start their bombing run. You know whats weird though is you can shoot a jet in the hanger and it blows up instantly but if you shoot it in flight it barely does anything.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/bb53a522780eff5b30ba3252d44932cc2f5b8c4f.png
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6758|UK
trust me its fluky, ive done it 2x before and it wasnt coz im some crack shot with the tank. just aim infront of plane and pray it flies into the shell.
A=10
+-2|6779|U.K DURHAM
its not fluky if thats what ya want to call it its all about aim in a tank man im not that good in em but i can hold me own. and i can take a jet down no problem if hes a dumb pilot even if hes not dumb its still not so hard. but then again not many in tanks think about trying to kill a plane tell the truth. but trust me them that fly so low to the ground ask for it.when they bank to come back for ya when they dive to bomb ya most of em come in so low.i must admit i dont hit em every time i miss more than i hit but on oman map i think i hit more than i miss. best when ya get the campers on that map sit it on the bank they always dive to runway bye bye plane.
Janis_Petke
\m/(><)\m/
+49|6685|Brunei Darussalam

I've been once shot down in flames with eryx. I was in full speed with F-15. Now that was a lucky shot!
Co-pilot went silent for a couple of minutes,he was so amazed!

Last edited by Janis_Petke (2006-01-19 06:26:25)

thinner44
+1|6802
I'm proud to be an owner of a 'Jet shooting tank' . I've done it on GoO and Kubra..... takes lots of patience and a knack of knowing where to lead the shot..oh, and a helluva lot of luck.
Dirrty_Bird
Dirtier than thou
+5|6733|Vermont
I would say that a tank is the second most effective way of shooting down a jet (the first being another jet).
occamsrezr
+7|6707
Did you guys ever play desert combat?  Tank kills on Jets weren't common but did occur enough that people weren't like OMG
imdead
Death StatPadder
+228|6761|Human Meat Shield
Hell, the tank knew he didn't have a chance so ... why not shoot in the air and pray? I say congrats to him. As I have done this numerous times with no luck ( I have shot down one chopper with tank). To me he had nothing to lose and probably amused himself. Planes have great superiority as everyone knows.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard