maffiaw
ph33r me 傻逼
+40|6390|Melbourne, AUS
Lest We Forget

Might I add lest we forget the noobness of the British Generals.
Invaderzim
Chicken wing?
+49|6418|Newcastle NSW Australia

KuSTaV wrote:

Ty wrote:

That's the weirdest thing righ there. During the whole Gallipoi campaign there are numerous occurences of the soldiers exchanging gifts and notes and singing songs together. The mutual respect the sides had is just so strange, but I guess warfare itself is pretty alien. My favourite story is of the exchange of food. Turkish troops threw bread and other food to the ANZACs and the ANZACs threw their rations of bully beef, (kind of like spam,) to the Turks. After trying it the Turks threw it back.

Yea, thats really strange. Ive heard of that, but its kinda odd to do that, and it would be a bit awkward, shooting someone you just had a good time with...
They played a game of soccer on christmas day too. I think if there were no German officers there tooversee the Turkish troops and no British officers there to over see ANZAC troops, there prob;y wouldnt have been a fight.

The relationship between the two sides was probly best summed up by Kemal Atatürk on the memorial at ANZAC cove:

"Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives… you are now lying in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets where they lie side by side here in this country of ours… You the mothers who sent their sons from far away countries, wipe away your tears. Your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace. Having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well."
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6531

Superior Mind wrote:

Happy ANZAC day! The next time I drink I'll make a toast the the Aussies and Kiwis. (and the Brits...)
Not really a "happy" occasion, per se.  Also, your toast should be to Aussies and Kiwis only.  Toast for the Brits should be on VE day, IIRC.
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6691|Sydney, Australia

KuSTaV wrote:

I just came back from an ANZAC service, had to stand at ease for quite a while. Its such a relief to sit down and rest my feet. It was pretty hot, but we got water. Some person fainted because we were standing for so long, but it was good nonetheless. Some old fella fell down too, but it was because he was in direct sun. Dawn services are better, as its not as hot.
Are you ADF or Cadets?

I was part of the cenotaph guard that my AAFC SQN provided for the local RSL dawn service. Just me (and 3 other guys with rifles, +1 with a sword) and Mr.FN FAL resting on my foot, in silence, for 45 minutes. We then did the city march. All good fun.

Mcminty.

Lest we forget.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6531
You're in the army mcminty?
Sneaky.Russian
Random Hero
+119|6291|Australia QLD
Lest We Forget.
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6592|Little Bentcock
Lest we forget
mcminty

Bubbalo wrote:

You're in the army mcminty?
Australian Air Force Cadets. I was going to go into the Royal Australian Air Force as an Aeronautical Engineer, but the only reason I got knocked back was because of my colour perception class (red-green colour blindness... sort of).

Mcminty.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6531
Bah..........cadets! 

The FN-FAL should have been a dead giveaway, that's the standard rifle of the Air Force........guard thingy..........isn't it?
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6470|so randum

Flecco wrote:

I'm fortunate enough to be going on a school trip to the Western Front, Normandy and a few other spots in France/Belgium/London in June. Tomorrow I'm going to both the services that are held in my town. These men might not have fought to protect their loved ones, but they forged our two nation's identities and have left a legacy for all Australians and New Zealanders to be proud of. Honour, courage, loyalty and raw strength of character were all demonstrated. The Somme, Ypres and Gallipolli... May we never forget the thousands of our sons who helped forge these two great nations into what they are today.

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

Lest we forget."
I used to be in the Air Cadets, and every year we would travel to ypres, to lay down a wreath, and take part in the daily procession under the gate. Fucking amazing times.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
mcminty

Bubbalo wrote:

Bah..........cadets! 

The FN-FAL should have been a dead giveaway, that's the standard rifle of the Air Force........guard thingy..........isn't it?
Our SQN uses the FN FAL for drill while the standard rifle used for drill is the F88 (by both cadets and the ADF). On my Junior NCO promotion course graduation parade, the Senior NCO courses were given the F88's and did 'Steyr Drill'. Actually, I think the manual of drill only covers F88 drill, not FAL drill.

In all honesty, drill with the FAL is so much better, and cooler looking, than drill with the F88.

Mcminty.
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6635|NT, like Mick Dundee

fatherted13 wrote:

Flecco wrote:

I'm fortunate enough to be going on a school trip to the Western Front, Normandy and a few other spots in France/Belgium/London in June. Tomorrow I'm going to both the services that are held in my town. These men might not have fought to protect their loved ones, but they forged our two nation's identities and have left a legacy for all Australians and New Zealanders to be proud of. Honour, courage, loyalty and raw strength of character were all demonstrated. The Somme, Ypres and Gallipolli... May we never forget the thousands of our sons who helped forge these two great nations into what they are today.

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

Lest we forget."
I used to be in the Air Cadets, and every year we would travel to ypres, to lay down a wreath, and take part in the daily procession under the gate. Fucking amazing times.
Yes. I'm really looking forward to it. I'm probably one of the few people in Australia who's English side of the family doesn't have anybody who served on the Western Front in it. They were all in the navy I believe...

EDIT

Ty, the costs of getting there are pretty high from here so we aren't going to see Gallipoli. Over there for about three weeks...

10 days on the Western Front and a bit of time causing trouble in France/Paris/London before we come back.

Last edited by Flecco (2007-04-25 05:19:32)

Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
cospengle
+140|6457|Armidale, NSW, Australia
I started to write something to explain how I feel each ANZAC day, but all my words are somehow inadequate, so...

Lest we forget.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6531

mcminty wrote:

Bubbalo wrote:

Bah..........cadets! 

Our SQN uses the FN FAL for drill while the standard rifle used for drill is the F88 (by both cadets and the ADF). On my Junior NCO promotion course graduation parade, the Senior NCO courses were given the F88's and did 'Steyr Drill'. Actually, I think the manual of drill only covers F88 drill, not FAL drill.

In all honesty, drill with the FAL is so much better, and cooler looking, than drill with the F88.

Mcminty.
Yeah, but the soldiers tasked with runway defence..........I forget their name, but they don't use the F88 do they?
Parker
isteal
+1,452|6364|The Gem Saloon
always nice to hear people remember their history and honor the fallen.
BF2Craglyeye
+72|6642|Australia

Bubbalo wrote:

Superior Mind wrote:

Happy ANZAC day! The next time I drink I'll make a toast the the Aussies and Kiwis. (and the Brits...)
Not really a "happy" occasion, per se.  Also, your toast should be to Aussies and Kiwis only.  Toast for the Brits should be on VE day, IIRC.
I was gonna say the same thing.

Not really a happy day.

Its a day of remembrance.

The reason we had so many casualties at Gallipoli is because of the British Generals, sent us up a hill in front of machine gun nests. All the the while they drank tea.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6531
I should probably put an "Except for me and mine" disclaimer on that: it's my sister's birthday.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard