Pernicious544
Zee Tank Skank
+80|6709|MoVal So-Cal
Yes, I know vista comes with one but I dont think i'll stake my hard drives on a microsoft firewall. does anyone know of a good firewall for free that is compatible with the vista? Karma for help (yay for karma)
misconfiguration
GURU
+86|6405|Indianapolis, IN
If you are behind a router the vista firewall should be substantial. Other than that I don't know, Vista drivers don't even work I don't see why a free firewall would be available yet.
Pernicious544
Zee Tank Skank
+80|6709|MoVal So-Cal
well, AVG makes one and I currently have it but its only a free trial with 20 days left, i just wanted to know if any other Vista peeps have one besides their basic one.
misconfiguration
GURU
This is what I use to install on the machines I tech, I've installed it on XP, XP x64 and VISTA, it's 100% free and pretty straight-forward. It doesn't bug you like Zone Alarm or Norton.

http://www.pctools.com/firewall/
EvilMonkeySlayer
+82|6661
Damn, there was a fantastic firewall I used before I got a router years ago.. if only I could remember the name. (it wasn't free)

EDIT: Ah, I think it was made by BlackICE.. though it seems they are somewhat dead. (BlackICE Defender?)

Ninja EDIT 2: If you see any firewall review lists where they include Nortons with a good rating then take everything that site says with a big grain of salt. The consumer stuff that Norton (excluding corporate stuff) makes nowadays is pure compost.

Super Ninja Edit 3: Are you wanting a free firewall or something that's better and costs money?

Last edited by EvilMonkeySlayer (2007-04-23 14:29:44)

Ki][mE
OMG H4XOR!
+51|6572|I'm a Viking....Norway
Use KaperSky!! it is fully Vista compitable and keeps the nasty viruses away.......

link: http://www.kaspersky.com/
Titch2349
iz me!
+358|6361|uk

I have just the Windows firewall for my Vista Business system,

However, i have a strong Netgear DG834PN firewall as well.

I believe Microsoft One Care comes with a firewall, and looks quite a neat package with AV and backup included.

You get 90 Days trial as well, which would put your time period up a bit to give you time to consider.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6502|N. Ireland
Vista Defender is actually quite good.

Misconfiguration: I am willing to bet you haven't even tried Vista. Drivers are now in a strong beta, fully released or already vista compatible.
misconfiguration
GURU

leetkyle wrote:

Vista Defender is actually quite good.

Misconfiguration: I am willing to bet you haven't even tried Vista. Drivers are now in a strong beta, fully released or already vista compatible.
LeetKyle it's nice that you're willing to bet on that, I actually have used Vista quite a bit in a testing environment, no I didn't like it. It's not stable enough for me to give good reviews, Drivers are in strong beta and it's a full OS release? How much sense does that make, do you realize the impact this OS is having in the corporate world? It's a piece of shit, the only people that are using Vista are the neophytes that think they're on the bleeding edge. Don't even get me started on I.E 7, at least I can connect to works Citrix portal with firefox on a *NIX platform.  Vista is costing the corporation I work for Millions of dollars in development and implementation.

So before you assume please ask me first mate, I'm a avid *NIX user I'm not a fan boy per se. I don't have any problems with XP now that the OS has MOST of it's issues worked out, nothing is perfect I understand that. If micro$haft would have waited a bit longer to release this OS maybe I wouldn't have hard feelings towards it. I'm not sure if you read a bit higher, but did I not say the default firewall included with Vista would be sufficient given he is behind a router? I don't hate Microsoft I just don't agree with the way they force customers into using new products like bully's, you're nothing but a under-paid beta tester in their eyes.

Last edited by misconfiguration (2007-04-24 07:40:02)

joker3327
=IBF2=
+305|6607|Cheshire. UK
=Karma-Kills=
"Don't post while intoxicated."
+356|6593|England
http://www.kaspersky.com/kis6

TO-peRnicious544,-eveRything-is-frEe,-if-you-uNdersTand-thiS.

herrr_smity
+156|6636|space command ur anus
i hate myself because i bought that shit vista, I'm getting at lest one blue screen per day.
i considering going back to a pirated xp

Last edited by herrr_smity (2007-04-24 14:37:33)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard