Poll

will Barry Bonds deserve the title of "home run king" with 18 more?

Yes, he earned it28%28% - 10
No, he cheated to get those home runs65%65% - 23
I dont know, no hard proof has come out yet either way5%5% - 2
Total: 35
comet241
+164|6735|Normal, IL
I think that the the man cheated to get the bulk of those home runs, personally. I think that while there has been no hard proof (a pic of him injecting for example) there is more than enough evidence to strip him of any title.

Hank aaron wont even go to his games if he has a chance to break his record... he is basically saying there that he doesn't care if a cheater breaks his record, he's above that.

I would like to hear what the majority of people think.
bonedoc69
+36|6381|Eugene, Oregon U.S.A.
total bullshit if you ask me, anyone on the juice should have all records stripped. all you have to do is look at his pictures and it's obvious, he goes from athlete to gorilla. he needs a big fat reset!
T.Pike
99 Problems . . .
+187|6252|Pennsyltucky

No !
UnknownRanger
Squirrels, natures little speedbump.
+610|6315|Cali

T.Pike wrote:

No !
TrollmeaT
Aspiring Objectivist
+492|6642|Colorado

bonedoc69 wrote:

total bullshit if you ask me, anyone on the juice should have all records stripped. all you have to do is look at his pictures and it's obvious, he goes from athlete to gorilla. he needs a big fat reset!
QFE
soldevilla13
SuperFly
+21|6691|oregon
The guy is still good, no matter what, you have to have some sort of physical ability to start out with to be able to do that.

*flame suit*
Reciprocity
+721|6550|the dank(super) side of Oregon
where's the who cares vote?  Baseball is a joke now, has been for 15 years.
terrafirma
Press 1 to Kill
+81|6624|Westminster, Colorado
His head ................. IT'S HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!
fadedsteve
GOP Sympathizer
+266|6460|Menlo Park, CA
lol who hasnt cheated in the game of baseball. . . . .

Some of the best pitchers used to "juice" the ball to put more movement on it!

Bottom line is MLB had every opportunity to stop steroids. . . .They chose not to because baseball had a resurgence of ratings and fan fare.  The league "liked the long ball", so consequently guys were able to continue to "use" and get away with it.  Hence the term "steroid era". . . .just like the era where blacks didnt play. . . . Should those "white only league" players stats be wiped because they didnt play against another race of equal talent??

Barry Bonds is the greatest baseball player in the last 30 + years, no question about it. . . .What he has done statistically is unreal! Regardless of the allogations and probable usage, he hasnt tested dirty, nor been convicted in any form.  If he was a nice guy, more people would be giving him the benefit of the doubt, but he is a prick! Everybody knows he is a self indulged asshole, so people want to discount his record.  Sammy Sosa used steroids, so did Mark Maquire, and no one is saying shit about those guys!!!!

He is the best player of his era REGARDLESS if he ever used steroids. . . .PERIOD! No one even comes close to his talent whatsoever.

GO GIANTS!!!!!!!!!!!! lol, hell I am a Giants fan, and even I know he is an asshole!  All I care about is watching my team win its first World Series in San Francisco, and if Barry Bonds gets me closer to that dream, THEN PLAY ON!

Last edited by fadedsteve (2007-04-19 22:05:10)

Yaocelotl
:D
+221|6620|Keyboard
The price would have to go to the tons of steroids that he used. I also hear that he in person is a fucking douche, so no, he doesn´t deserve nothing. He has to be in the same corner as Pete Rose and Jose Canseco are.
dubbs
+105|6601|Lexington, KY

fadedsteve wrote:

Bottom line is MLB had every opportunity to stop steroids. . . .They chose not to because baseball had a resurgence of ratings and fan fare.  The league "liked the long ball", so consequently guys were able to continue to "use" and get away with it.  Hence the term "steroid era". . . .just like the era where blacks didnt play. . . . Should those "white only league" players stats be wiped because they didnt play against another race of equal talent??

Barry Bonds is the greatest baseball player in the last 30 + years, no question about it. . . .What he has done statistically is unreal! Regardless of the allogations and probable usage, he hasnt tested dirty, nor been convicted in any form.  If he was a nice guy, more people would be giving him the benefit of the doubt, but he is a prick! Everybody knows he is a self indulged asshole, so people want to discount his record.  Sammy Sosa used steroids, so did Mark Maquire, and no one is saying shit about those guys!!!!

He is the best player of his era REGARDLESS if he ever used steroids. . . .PERIOD! No one even comes close to his talent whatsoever.

GO GIANTS!!!!!!!!!!!! lol, hell I am a Giants fan, and even I know he is an asshole!  All I care about is watching my team win its first World Series in San Francisco, and if Barry Bonds gets me closer to that dream, THEN PLAY ON!
Mark did not use steriods, he used a new over the counter drug at the time.  Also, Barry did have that issue with the cream that a team mate "gave" him last year.  Let's not even get into the trail and how people will not testify in court.  Why should they not testify, it would not hurt them. 

Before the 73 HR year Barry's highest homerun season was 49.  Very impressive number itself, but you hit 40 something the year before and the year after.  Ruth was always close to 60 each year, even though he did cheat himself.  The Yankees made left field at Polo Grounds shorter just for him.  Unlike Sammy, who has not been proven to use steroids, but a corked bat, who hit 60 every year for about 3 or 4 years.  Mark flirted with 60 for about 3 years, even when he was in Oakland. 

Also, just a personal option, I think that there are a lot of better players then Barry in the last 30 years.  I can name a lot of the top of my head, but playing and retired.  Here are some, Alex Rodriguez (may be the only player to get a 40/40 in a season with out drugs), Nolan Ryan, Cal Ripken Jr, Manny Ramierz, David Ortiz, Ozzie Smith, Curt Schilling, and Randy Johnson.  That is just to name a few off the top of my head.  Barry is a one dimention player, only for hitting that is all that he will be known for, but players like Alex, Cal, Ozzie will be remembered for more then just one thing.
Major.League.Infidel
Make Love and War
+303|6448|Communist Republic of CA, USA
Gooo Giants
fadedsteve
GOP Sympathizer
+266|6460|Menlo Park, CA

dubbs wrote:

fadedsteve wrote:

Mark did not use steriods, he used a new over the counter drug at the time.  Also, Barry did have that issue with the cream that a team mate "gave" him last year.  Let's not even get into the trail and how people will not testify in court.  Why should they not testify, it would not hurt them. 

Before the 73 HR year Barry's highest homerun season was 49.  Very impressive number itself, but you hit 40 something the year before and the year after.  Ruth was always close to 60 each year, even though he did cheat himself.  The Yankees made left field at Polo Grounds shorter just for him.  Unlike Sammy, who has not been proven to use steroids, but a corked bat, who hit 60 every year for about 3 or 4 years.  Mark flirted with 60 for about 3 years, even when he was in Oakland. 

Also, just a personal option, I think that there are a lot of better players then Barry in the last 30 years.  I can name a lot of the top of my head, but playing and retired.  Here are some, Alex Rodriguez (may be the only player to get a 40/40 in a season with out drugs), Nolan Ryan, Cal Ripken Jr, Manny Ramierz, David Ortiz, Ozzie Smith, Curt Schilling, and Randy Johnson.  That is just to name a few off the top of my head.  Barry is a one dimention player, only for hitting that is all that he will be known for, but players like Alex, Cal, Ozzie will be remembered for more then just one thing.
Bottom line you still have to hit big league pitching, and steroids dont help you hit a fastball. . .It might make you hit it farther, but you still have to hit the ball.  Last time I checked steroids dont improve your eye and judgement!

lol! Maguire blantantly used steriods, and so did Sammy dude. . . .everyone knows they used! You just dont get that big and not have used steroids! Mark was a twig when he came into the league, and beefed up by 40 lbs!! Same with Sammy!!! You think that he wasnt using steroids when he was playing with Jose Canseco??? You have no clue what those two were up to!! The "Bash Brothers" lol!!!

All the other players you listed are great players, no doubt.  They are just not as good as Barry Bonds.  How many gold gloves does the guy (Bonds) have?? Hmm. . . .If you think he sucks in the field based soley on the failed throw to home plate trying to gun out Sid Bream when he played on the Pirates, your mistaken.  He is a great left fielder! As good as anyone who has played. . . .

Your contempt for him as a person shouldnt be masked by how great he is a baseball player.  He is the best since Willy Mays (godfather btw). . . . He is BAR NONE the best player of his era. . . .Because I dont believe there is such a thing as "greatest" baseball player of all time.  I can tell you that most baseball people agree that Bonds is the best player of his era. . . .They may not like him, but they know how good he is and has been over the years!

btw isnt our society based upon the ideals of innocent until proven quilty. . . . Cause last time I checked he hasnt been convicted of anything! As I also said. . . he hasnt tested dirty for anything! Granted, I do believe he was using something as I am not that naive. . . .

Last edited by fadedsteve (2007-04-19 22:49:52)

Ironsteed
Fuck Shoes
+18|6441|North of Dallas
Baseball is still a sport?

*cough*... oh I mean Go Rangers!!
Ironsteed
Fuck Shoes
+18|6441|North of Dallas
What how many World Championships has Barry led his team to???

Oh that's right, best player my ass, how about best pure slugger, now that I can agree with.

edit*(wait maybe I shouldn't use the word 'pure' in that statement.)

Last edited by Ironsteed (2007-04-19 22:51:06)

fadedsteve
GOP Sympathizer
+266|6460|Menlo Park, CA
Its not only a sport, but our nations pastime. . . .Thanks for asking!
fadedsteve
GOP Sympathizer
+266|6460|Menlo Park, CA

Ironsteed wrote:

What how many World Championships has Barry led his team to???

Oh that's right, best player my ass, how about best pure slugger, now that I can agree with.

edit*(wait maybe I shouldn't use the word 'pure' in that statement.)
Umm. . . . He took us to the World Series. . . .

He isnt a relief pitcher (Keep in mind the Giants had a 5-0 lead in the bottom of the 7th in Anaheim, up in the series 3-2). . . Baseball is a team game, the whole team wins and loses together!

NO ONE leads a whole team on his own. . . . .His bullpen couldnt get the job done, Bonds did everything he could in those playoffs/season to give the Giants a shot at winning the Series. . . .

HE IS the best player of his era. . . .no question about it! Stop clouding your judgement with your contempt for him as a person.  THE FACTS are the facts. . . .some people just never see em'

side note: You do realize that the World Series is one of the hardest Championships to win in sports??

Last edited by fadedsteve (2007-04-19 22:57:08)

comet241
+164|6735|Normal, IL

fadedsteve wrote:

you do have some good points that the league itself definately looked the other way in order to boost sales, attendance.... money. However, does that make cheating right? If the people who are supposed to stop the cheating dont, it doesn't justify it, it just degrades the sport as a whole.

If it will help, i agree that sosa and maguire used steroids. lets take a look at sammy. when he was on the sox, for example... tiny guy. less than 10 years later he's the fucking hulk and swinging with corked bats as well! Now, after his debacle with baltimore and the year off, he sure has shrunk in size. I wonder why....?

I will also wholeheartedly disagree with your claim that he is the best player in the last 30 years. As someone else put it, he's a one-dimensional player. He can hit. Nothing else. Yes, it does take an incredible amount of skill to hit big-league pitchers, and he has it, but he just didn't have the size he wanted before he started cheating. The guy was tiny when he started in the league.

Lets use an example of a similar situation from my team, the White Sox: Frank Thomas. He was GIANT when he started in the league... he is STILL FUCKING HUGE! He can hit the ball, but he's so-so out on the field. Back when the league went on strike he was on pace that year to smash the then HR record. He never juiced. He was giant to begin with and he used his natural abilities. That doesnt make him the best player ever, but he's pretty good, just like Bonds. (Speaking of Sox, going to watch them demolish the Tigers at Comerica on Saturday. I just hope I dont get shot sporting my Sox World Champs hoodie...)

Going back to the point, I can name a dozen people off the top of my head in the last 30 years who were better players than Bonds. Just because you can knock them out of the park, doesn't make you stellar on defense, or a great base-stealer. Being well-rounded makes a player great. Something, sadly, Bonds lacks. Im not knocking the talents he does have, I'm trying to say he didn't have a reason to cheat in the first place. Regardless of if or when he breaks the record, he will still have to overcome a LOT of negative sentiment against him to be remembered as great. Look at maguire, he got the shaft on his first chance at being elected into the hall of fame. Expect that to repeat for awhile, and expect it to repeat for Bonds.
Rick_O_Shea678
Angry Engy
+95|6723
"better than that"
That's how to describe Barry Bonds.  It is impossible to overrate him.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard