jonsimon
+224|6494
Al Gore should make a movie. But seriously, why won't predators touch the hives after CCD? What implications of danger are associated with the hive afterward?
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6642

UON wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

i gotta call bullshit.  a beehive just found its home inside the wall 2 feet away from where im typing this.  i use my phone at this spot all the time and these bees seem to be multiplying.  any tips on getting rid of bees?
sure they are honey bees?... sounds like wasps to me...
im gonna take a picture right now
Yaocelotl
:D
+221|6648|Keyboard
Better start unpacking those telegraphs and morse codes .
>LOD<Dougalachi
Teh_Complainer
+85|6554|An Hour North of Indy
can I get a source for the original?
UON
Junglist Massive
+223|6652

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

im gonna take a picture right now
Found a fairly useful link on bees:

http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/hgic2507.htm

Did you see the colony swarm in?

@>LOD<Dougalachi
http://news.independent.co.uk/environme … 449968.ece
jonsimon
+224|6494

PekkaA wrote:

That thing with bees actually has really big effect on USAs economy. It was estimated that this year american farmers will lose over 40 billion dollars because of disappering bees.
Cell phones being the reason was just one theory among others. However, cell phones and military networks operate on same frequencies that bees use.
I think the cold snaps are a bigger problem. Fruit will be expensive this year.
Skorpy-chan
+127|6343|Twyford, UK

Smitty5613 wrote:

Skorpy-chan wrote:

What the hell? No it doesen't. If it DID, my grandfather would not keep his mobile on him while dealing with his bees.
This is just a pussy excuse for the veroa mite infections in America.
Thats what my dad's bees had, the Veroa Mite....
You're meant to put in strips to stop 'em getting in, or your honey ends up contaminated.
I paid attention when told this stuff. Such a shame bees don't like me. Go near a hive, all I get is this huge buzz.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6528|Global Command

LT.Victim wrote:

Just imagine if cell phones are actually the cause..

You think the companys will do anything? Can they even do anything?

It would take billions of dollars to replace the current networks that we have in place.

And I mean, whats the alternative, because we all know people aren't gonna give up their cell phones...
To me it seems real simple. If the cell phones are what is killing the bee's they have to go because bees pollinate food crops.

No bees, no people.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6580|SE London

ATG wrote:

LT.Victim wrote:

It would take billions of dollars to replace the current networks that we have in place.

And I mean, whats the alternative, because we all know people aren't gonna give up their cell phones...
To me it seems real simple. If the cell phones are what is killing the bee's they have to go because bees pollinate food crops.

No bees, no people.
Damn straight!

More likely to just lead to increases in costs of food, but who knows.....

Last edited by Bertster7 (2007-04-19 17:21:37)

jonsimon
+224|6494

ATG wrote:

LT.Victim wrote:

No bees, no people.
Bees aren't the only way to pollinate food. It could be done by hand or machine as well. If CCD is a real problem, and if cell phones are by some unimaginable stretch the singular cause, seed farmers will simply pollinate their crops mechanically. For all I know they may do that already, I honestly don't know how seed is produced for sale.
PekkaA
+36|6663|Finland

jonsimon wrote:

Bees aren't the only way to pollinate food. It could be done by hand or machine as well. If CCD is a real problem, and if cell phones are by some unimaginable stretch the singular cause, seed farmers will simply pollinate their crops mechanically. For all I know they may do that already, I honestly don't know how seed is produced for sale.
Actually there are several commercially used plants that are completely dependent on bees, for example almond.
LT.Victim
+1,175|6561|British Columbia, Canada

PekkaA wrote:

jonsimon wrote:

Actually there are several commercially used plants that are completely dependent on bees, for example almond.
I hate almonds anyways
Elamdri
The New Johnnie Cochran
+134|6645|Peoria
What we need now is... GENETICALLY ENGINEERED SUPERBEES!
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6644

Elamdri wrote:

What we need now is... GENETICALLY ENGINEERED SUPERBEES!
yea thats what I said earlier but those bees would do their job for a while then turn on us lol
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6580|SE London

jonsimon wrote:

Bees aren't the only way to pollinate food. It could be done by hand or machine as well. If CCD is a real problem, and if cell phones are by some unimaginable stretch the singular cause, seed farmers will simply pollinate their crops mechanically.
Bees are pretty much the only industrialised way to pollinate food. As I mentioned earlier about a third of the average persons diet is made up of foodstuffs that have been pollinated by bees.

In fact, approximately one-third of the total human diet is derived directly or indirectly from insect-pollinated plants (fruits, legumes and vegetables).

http://www.honey.com/downloads/pollination_brochure.pdf
You can do it by hand or machine, but in all the trials (into Kiwi and Almond production at least) there has been very limited success when not using bees for pollination. Artificial pollination is more expensive, by far, it also produces lower quality and lower yield harvests. All this means that essential foodstuffs will become many, many times more expensive. How would you like to have to pay $5-10 for an apple? Mobile phones are an inessential luxury. If they are proven to be the cause of CCD and it looks like getting out of hand, to the extent that bees can no longer be used for industrial pollination, I would support a unilateral ban on mobile phones.

Last edited by Bertster7 (2007-04-20 06:49:34)

Darth_Fleder
Mod from the Church of the Painful Truth
+533|6805|Orlando, FL - Age 43

jonsimon wrote:

Al Gore should make a movie. But seriously, why won't predators touch the hives after CCD? What implications of danger are associated with the hive afterward?
You bring up a good point....there are also theories of this being caused by a virus.

http://scienceblogs.com/grrlscientist/2 … g_bees.php

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard