Hurricane
Banned
+1,153|6632|Washington, DC

Would it be feasible to use my HDTV (52" DLP) as a computer monitor? I know it has a PC hookup (either VGA or DVI, I'll cry if it is ancient VGA) but would it be worth it? Basically, would it look better than my current 17" LCD (1280x1024)? I don't know where the manual is so I don't know the res capabilities, but since it can display 1080i I'm compelled to believe that it would be better (since 1080i is 1920x1080).
Marlboroman82
Personal philosophy: Clothing optional.
+1,022|6625|Camp XRay

Hurricane wrote:

Would it be feasible to use my HDTV (52" DLP) as a computer monitor? I know it has a PC hookup (either VGA or DVI, I'll cry if it is ancient VGA) but would it be worth it? Basically, would it look better than my current 17" LCD (1280x1024)? I don't know where the manual is so I don't know the res capabilities, but since it can display 1080i I'm compelled to believe that it would be better (since 1080i is 1920x1080).
should be hdmi or dvi, either way you can hook it up but i don't know how well it will preform game wise.
https://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l250/marlboroman82/Untitled-8.png
r'Eeee
That's how I roll, BITCH!
+311|6450

I would, I am getting HDTV during the summer, and I am gonna use it. I am not sure if it will be clearer, but I think it depends on your GFX as well?
wah1188
You orrible caaaaaaan't
+321|6462|UK
Might look stretched and stuff post pics if you do on bf2 on it. Lol biggest tv i got is 32 inch.
Mad Ad
+178|6512|England, UK
need more specs tbh, from your tv manual (max resolution of the ports it has) and what video card you intend to drive it with.
jsnipy
+3,276|6524|...

isn't the response time on most HDTV's 8ms? If so that seems slow for gaming
Masques
Black Panzer Party
+184|6724|Eastern PA
It works, just be sure to have a card capable of the high res.
Ridir
Semper Fi!
+48|6765
Check the TV's resolution, a lot of TVs that are high def are meager for a monitor in terms of resolutions. 1033x768 is the best one sold at my store currenty, and thatsa 42" wide screen.  Also it could matter what type of card you have but thats where i get kinda shady in my knowledge.  From what I know the video card will transmit the information just like normal and its up to the TV to update and project it. 

One test I would run before running a game, espically an FPS, is play a movie with quick movments, something like a kung fu or something.  Watch for ghosting of the arms and legs, if its there the responce time is way too slow.  Then check and see what it would be with a game's graphics.  You can't just go by the manual even for PC monitors because that is an average for the way different programs and colors update.  Some companies fudge their timings by running the test that run well more then the other test.
Airwolf
Latter Alcoholic
+287|6721|Scotland

jsnipy wrote:

isn't the response time on most HDTV's 8ms? If so that seems slow for gaming
8ms is nothing, really.

I think you start to detect around 15-20ms
Ridir
Semper Fi!
+48|6765
8ms is average i think, 12 is when I started to notice it due to eye strain after about a half hour of playing or so

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard