Oscar590
The Canadian
+3|6244|Richmond, BC, Canada
Isn't this about RAM not video card? Why did section post his video card lol.
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6789|Cambridge (UK)
OK, time for some sense:

MemoJAK0803 - we have roughly the same spec PCs - except mine is an AthlonXP 3200+ with an X800XT PE - I used to have 1Gig ram and recently upgraded to 2Gig.

With only 1Gig I could run BF2 with all on high except dynamic lighting and shadows, which were off, and effects, which was on medium.

With 2Gig I can now run with all on high. No exceptions.

(the frame rate is a little lower than I'd like in places, but it is utterly playable.)

I also gained about 22% in 3DMark06 by upgrading to 2Gig.
Danbowski
SAUSAGE
+16|6375|Massachusetts
I have 2 gig and I'm looking into getting another gig. Also, Faster ram does help.
CommieChipmunk
+488|6593|Portland, OR, USA

Danbowski wrote:

I have 2 gig and I'm looking into getting another gig. Also, Faster ram does help.
get another 2 gigs if your mobo runs dual channel, otherwise you're slowing yourself down.
Jemme101
M24 Abuser
+99|6524|Valley of the Dragons

CommieChipmunk wrote:

Danbowski wrote:

get another 2 gigs if your mobo runs dual channel, otherwise you're slowing yourself down.
Not is it is a 2x 512 set
Scorpion0x17
+691|6789|Cambridge (UK)

Jemme101 wrote:

CommieChipmunk wrote:

Danbowski wrote:

Indeed. That's what I had - 2x512MB of dual-channel lovely-ness.

Added a 1Gig stick. Now have 2x512MB+1x1GB dual-channel even-more-lovely-ness.

Unfortunately going up to 3GB will mean replacing the 2x512MB with another 2x1GB.
Jemme101
M24 Abuser

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Jemme101 wrote:

CommieChipmunk wrote:

Unfortunately going up to 3GB will mean replacing the 2x512MB with another 2x1GB.
Hmm so you had 2 slots filled with 512Mb on 1 side and the other side on ly one slot with the 1Gb? I guess that should work because its all about the total which is supposed to be equal.

But You shouldnt get 2x1Gb m8. Just buy another 1Gb stick and do the same thing as I did; 1,5Gb per side for a total of 3Gb. Getting more than 3Gb is a waste of money imo for 99% of the people on this board.
Scorpion0x17
+691|6789|Cambridge (UK)

Jemme101 wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Jemme101 wrote:

Hmm so you had 2 slots filled with 512Mb on 1 side and the other side on ly one slot with the 1Gb? I guess that should work because its all about the total which is supposed to be equal.

But You shouldnt get 2x1Gb m8. Just buy another 1Gb stick and do the same thing as I did; 1,5Gb per side for a total of 3Gb. Getting more than 3Gb is a waste of money imo for 99% of the people on this board.
Yeah, that's what I would do, but if I fill all four slots, my mobo runs the ram at 166MHz, not 200MHz!
Jemme101
M24 Abuser

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Yeah, that's what I would do, but if I fill all four slots, my mobo runs the ram at 166MHz, not 200MHz!
Hmmm thats weird. Have you checked with a vendor if a BIOS flash will make it work at 200? What are your system specs anyway?

Btw if you have 3Gb, withuot the equal spread, you cannot run a DUAL channel config.
Scorpion0x17
+691|6789|Cambridge (UK)

Jemme101 wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Hmmm thats weird. Have you checked with a vendor if a BIOS flash will make it work at 200? What are your system specs anyway?
The mobo is a GA-7N400 Pro2 (rev2).

And, to quote the Gigabyte FAQ:

Gigabyte wrote:

Based on nVIDIA chipset specification, the motherboard you have only support 3 DIMM slots officially. When a MB comes with GIGABYTE unique memory H/W deisgn, the board you have can provide the extra DIMM slot and make users get better flexibility on H/W installation/expansion. But, because the quality of memory modules in retail market is uneven, thus, when you install 4xDDR400 memory modules on the motherboard, our MB BIOS will decrease memory speed to make sure most system will bootup properly.
source

Crap, isn't it.

Jemme101 wrote:

Btw if you have 3Gb, withuot the equal spread, you cannot run a DUAL channel config.
Actually, I think I can - it will run 3x512MB dual-channel (which I discovered because I did originally buy another 2x512MB).
Jemme101
M24 Abuser
Hmm I am not the wizkid, but the rule of thumb always was that the spread for DUAL channel should be equal on both sides to retain DUAL capability. Unless that Gigabyte MoBo is working differently because of a different design.
If I read that FAQ correctly it is telling me that you can only use 3 out of 4 slots without loss of speed. But 3 slots filled will always mean an imbalance, which in turn means that you would have to buy 2x 2Gb. It doesnt make sense to me.
Did you try to websurf for some BIOS solution for this MoBo?
eisBär
+22|6267|Germany

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Gigabyte wrote:

Based on nVIDIA chipset specification, the motherboard you have only support 3 DIMM slots officially. When a MB comes with GIGABYTE unique memory H/W deisgn, the board you have can provide the extra DIMM slot and make users get better flexibility on H/W installation/expansion. But, because the quality of memory modules in retail market is uneven, thus, when you install 4xDDR400 memory modules on the motherboard, our MB BIOS will decrease memory speed to make sure most system will bootup properly.
source
Read that carefully. It says that it clocks it down to 166 to ensure proper booting.  If you have good quality RAM, you can raise it back up to 200 in the BIOS. It doesn't say that it locks it at 166, it just auto-down clocks at first to make sure you can boot.
ShiftyMoves
+0|6262
There all like that. Here is a clue. Watch your bios post, if if doesn't say 'dual channel' it's not!!!
When you fill all the RAM slots, the FSB will report slower speed.
For instances. I have 4x 512 (3200) matched! Currently running at 333Mhz. If I take one out, it still runs 333Mhz. It will not report dual Channel. Ok now if I take the other one out, bios reports dual channel@400
I do make up a little by OverClocking 5%. I have overclocked, just a speed check (HOT) 3.6Ghz@1200 fsb stable, running prime95. I have played BF2@ 3.6Ghz. I didn't see that much of difference

Last edited by ShiftyMoves (2007-04-18 06:15:36)

Jemme101
M24 Abuser

eisBär wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Gigabyte wrote:

source
Read that carefully. It says that it clocks it down to 166 to ensure proper booting.  If you have good quality RAM, you can raise it back up to 200 in the BIOS. It doesn't say that it locks it at 166, it just auto-down clocks at first to make sure you can boot.
So it will only clock it down at that initial boot after installing. That would make more sense imo. Contact Gigabyte, they should be able to tell you more.
Scorpion0x17
+691|6789|Cambridge (UK)

ShiftyMoves wrote:

There all like that. Here is a clue. Watch your bios post, if if doesn't say 'dual channel' it's not!!!
When you fill all the RAM slots, the FSB will report slower speed.
For instances. I have 4x 512 (3200) matched! Currently running at 333Mhz. If I take one out, it still runs 333Mhz. It will not report dual Channel. Ok now if I take the other one out, bios reports dual channel@400
I do make up a little by OverClocking 5%. I have overclocked, just a speed check (HOT) 3.6Ghz@1200 fsb stable, running prime95. I have played BF2@ 3.6Ghz. I didn't see that much of difference
NO. With 3x512MB is ran 400Mhz Dual-Channel. They are not "all like that". I have like 15odd years experience with computers of all kinds. I do know what I'm talking about.

Jemme101 wrote:

eisBär wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

source
So it will only clock it down at that initial boot after installing. That would make more sense imo. Contact Gigabyte, they should be able to tell you more.
No. It can not be changed with a BIOS setting. It can not be changed with a BIOS upgrade. I have the latest BIOS. It locks it at 166Mhz.

Again, I do know what I am talking about.
Jemme101
M24 Abuser
I am not doubting your expertise here, just trying to learn something new So your MoBo will allow DUAL channel without the evenly spread setup of 2 or 4 DIMM's. Your setup of 3 DIMM's will give you DUAL channel?
eisBär
+22|6267|Germany

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

That may be, but I would be amazed and disappointed if the BIOS didn't allow you to adjust the HTT/FSB. If you let the mem clock down to 166, you should be able to bump the HTT/FSB up by 33 points to keep the same clock speed on the CPU while having the RAM run at 200(DDR400). That would, of course, require good ram.

Everything i have read about this board says it has overclocking features, so you should be able to raise the HTT/FSB. You may have to set one of the jumpers from Auto to manua.

Last edited by eisBär (2007-04-18 07:03:42)

Jemme101
M24 Abuser

eisBär wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

That may be, but I would be amazed and disappointed if the BIOS didn't allow you to adjust the HTT/FSB. If you let the mem clock down to 166, you should be able to bump the HTT/FSB up by 33 points to keep the same clock speed on the CPU while having the RAM run at 200(DDR400). That would, of course, require good ram.

Everything i have read about this board says it has overclocking features, so you should be able to raise the HTT/FSB. You may have to set one of the jumpers from Auto to manua.
Yeah that Auto to Manual dipswitch came up on a german forum as well. It allowed that guy to access additional options in his BIOS.
Mr.Pieeater
+116|6647|Cherry Pie
I have 4 Gb of RAM and two 6800 GTs in Sli and highest setting would run a crappy fps on my computer.  I have it on about medium settings and get around 60fps.
DrunkenResistance
beat mason
+13|6243|Bloomington, Indiana
2 gigs mang
Scorpion0x17
+691|6789|Cambridge (UK)

Jemme101 wrote:

I am not doubting your expertise here, just trying to learn something new So your MoBo will allow DUAL channel without the evenly spread setup of 2 or 4 DIMM's. Your setup of 3 DIMM's will give you DUAL channel?
It did when I had 3x512MB installed. I am assuming the situation would be the same with 3x1GB - I could be wrong, but I think it's a fairly safe assumption to make.

eisBär wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Do you think after I payed good money for two more 512MB DIMMS that I didn't look into everything?

The GA-7N400 Pro2 will downclock the RAM if you install 4xPC3200 DDR - there is no work-around and no way to disable this behaviour.

All in all it's a trade-off - it's very flexible in terms of what selection of DIMMs you can use and in the number of ways you can achieve a dual-channel setup - for example Crucial told me I simply would not be able to achieve dual channel using 2x512MB+1x1GB - but they were wrong. The down side comes from the fact that, as I discovered with a LOT of memtest86ing, most configurations are not particularly stable and with 4xPC3200, it will be downclocked.
taffy1979
+7|6640|u.k
Tis is a link to my system, i run everything at max no probs

http://www.xfire.com/profile/taffy1979/
kingofkolt
+17|6247|Boston, MA, USA
Pardon my ignorance... what's dual-channel RAM?

I have 512MB RAM, but I just bought two brand new 1GB sticks on eBay (total of 2GB for the mathematically impaired) so I'm pretty excited about that. The game is always really choppy and hard to play for the first round or so after loading a map.

My video card is 64MB ATI Mobility Radeon 9700. Yeah. My laptop is, like, 3 years old in May. It's only redeeming quality is the 2.8GhZ CPU. I'm going to be replacing it soon with a MacBook Pro with a 256MB video card.
elite.mafia
Banned
+122|6477|USA
1gig of pc21000 shit ram (2 kingston 512mb sticks in dual channel)
120gb 7200 rpm 8mb cache samsung hdd
3.06ghz p4 with 533fsb
6600gt 128mb
asus p4g8x deluxe
yeah my computer SUCKS.
Scorpion0x17
+691|6789|Cambridge (UK)

kingofkolt wrote:

Pardon my ignorance... what's dual-channel RAM?
Well, strictly speaking, it isn't the RAM that dual-channel - it is the motherboard. Basically, it means that instead of reading from the ram 1 'chunk' at a time, it reads two 'chunks' at a time. It does this by dividing the available ram slots into two 'channels' - hence 'dual-channel'.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard