LawJik
The Skeptical Realist
+48|6572|Amherst, MA
Atheist's Wager

Another sweet Dawkins clip:
colonel_locke
+2|6321
I read this somewhere, if anyone knows who the original author was, please feel free to let me know via PM or email:

"I contend that we are both athiest, I merely believe in one less god than you do.  If you can discern why you discount all other gods, then you will know why I discount yours."

I may have the quote slightly mis-worded, it's been several years since I originally read it, however, I think it holds water.

If I were to claim I worshipped Zeus (being Greek, he's my first choice for omnipotence -sp?) you'd think I was daft.  Now tell me all your reasons for thinking I'm wrong, and you'll know why I don't believe in the Christian/Muslim/Judiac/Etc. god. 

I was raised Catholic, fwiw, and pretty much gave up on religion as soon as I found out that there were not only hundreds of different religions, but also several flavors of catholocism. 

How can there be so many different religions?  Either there is one god or there is not.

And finally, if there is a god, then little kids would not get cancer, a-holes would not fly planes into buildings, and stupid people would not go on shooting rampages killing people who don't even know them. 

Praise god. 

Indeed.
OxiDeOwns
+15|6261|Sydney, Australia

righthandfork wrote:

Hi I am new to the forum, but from what I gather many of you have strong views on religion.  I believe in God because it is the only logical thing to do.  This is why…

Take this simple statement:

“For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”

1.  It is impossible to prove this statement true.
2.  It is impossible to prove this statement false.
3.  This statement has to be either true or false.

Since a person can choose to believe or not to believe, and since this statement has to be either true or false, there are only four possible outcomes:

1.  A person believes, the statement is true, and he attains eternal life.
2.  A person believes, the statement is false, and he ceases to exist.
3.  A person does not believe, the statement is true, and he is damned to hell.
4.  A person does not believe, the statement is false, and he ceases to exist.

If a person cannot prove this statement false, and he is logical, then he will choose to believe because that is his only chance for a favorable outcome. 

So deductive logic tells us that atheists are illogical unless they can prove that the statement above is false. 

Now obviously there are other religions out there that promise eternal life and it would be just as logical to believe in them, because as long as there is a chance of a positive outcome, the choice would be considered logical.  It seems the most logical choice would be to believe in as many religions as possible, so I guess I’ll have to concede that I’m not the most logical.  But my only point is that choosing to believe in something that can only lead to negative outcomes is illogical:)
YOU are illogical.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard