sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6757|Argentina
It was April 19, 2002 when Layne Staley, Alice in Chains lead singer, was found dead in his house due to heroin and cocaine overdose.  By coincidence, the coroner's office estimated that Staley had died on April 5, the same date that fellow Seattle Grunge rocker Kurt Cobain was estimated to have died eight years earlier.
For all the AIC fans it was a huge loss, and we sure miss him. 

I believe them bones are me
Some say were born into the grave
I feel so alone, gonna end up a
Big ole pile a them bones

Dust rise right on over my time
Empty fossil of the new scene
I feel so alone, gonna wind up a

Toll due bad dream come true
I lie dead gone under red sky
I feel so alone, gonna end up a
Ryan
+1,230|6843|Alberta, Canada

I dunno him, sorry.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6757|Argentina

Ryan wrote:

I dunno him, sorry.
Alice in Chains lead singer.
Ryan
+1,230|6843|Alberta, Canada

sergeriver wrote:

Ryan wrote:

I dunno him, sorry.
I don't listen to them so...
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6757|Argentina

Ryan wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

Ryan wrote:

I dunno him, sorry.
I don't listen to them so...
You should...it's an awesome band.  Try their second album Dirt.
FecalSpray
+1|6636
Nutshell
Christbane
+51|6235
Jerry Cantrell does a good job with his solo stuff, and AIC songs,    but he and Layne together were perfection. I miss him for sure.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6757|Argentina

Christbane wrote:

Jerry Cantrell does a good job with his solo stuff, and AIC songs,    but he and Layne together were perfection. I miss him for sure.
Alice in Chains was their two voices combined.  It's my favorite band ever.
SysTray
"Generous mods" < Thats right Systray !
+180|6821|Delaware
Alice in Chains wasn't as...revolutionary in the music world as Nirvana was, however. They are still a good band, don't get me wrong, but I'll take Nirvana any day.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6757|Argentina

SysTray wrote:

Alice in Chains wasn't as...revolutionary in the music world as Nirvana was, however. They are still a good band, don't get me wrong, but I'll take Nirvana any day.
I love grunge music, but let me disagree.  While Nirvana was a huge commercial boom, Alice in Chains reached the perfection and that you can't measure with numbers.
SysTray
+180|6821|Delaware

sergeriver wrote:

SysTray wrote:

I love grunge music, but let me disagree.  While Nirvana was a huge commercial boom, Alice in Chains reached the perfection and that you can't measure with numbers.
Nirvana is the epitome of grunge, though. You hear grunge, the first band you think of is Nirvana, y'know? You can't say that about Alice in Chains, really...Also, a great thing about them is that they never wanted to be a commercial boom (or at least good ol' Kurt didn't).
Christbane
+51|6235

sergeriver wrote:

Christbane wrote:

Alice in Chains was their two voices combined.  It's my favorite band ever.
they are one of my favorites without a doubt.  second only to TOOL.  I got to see them live twice. once at lala palooza, and some other multi band outdoor show when they were just getting started.    damn that was like 16 years ago!  im getting old >(
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6757|Argentina

SysTray wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

SysTray wrote:

Nirvana is the epitome of grunge, though. You hear grunge, the first band you think of is Nirvana, y'know? You can't say that about Alice in Chains, really...Also, a great thing about them is that they never wanted to be a commercial boom (or at least good ol' Kurt didn't).
I disagree.  Before Nirvana there was Soundgarden, IMO a much better band than Nirvana.  There were a lot of underground bands as well during the late 80's.  Nirvana come to your mind coz of the huge commercial success it was aftyer the release of Nevermind.  But don't forget Pearl Jam, they sold more records than Nirvana and if you ask me Ten is one of the best albums ever, not as commercial as Nevermind, which is a great album also.  Alice in Chains is grunge metal, and there is no other band like AIC.  And Dirt is a masterpiece like no other in the genre.
SysTray
+180|6821|Delaware
Nevermind sold so well because it was a new type of music to the public. It was a breakthrough in music because most people of the time were still coming off the 80s hair bands and one hit wonders. I won't disagree with you that Soundgarden is good, and that Ten is a great album, but they didn't play the same type of music as Nirvana. No one plays the same type of music as Nirvana.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6757|Argentina

SysTray wrote:

Nevermind sold so well because it was a new type of music to the public. It was a breakthrough in music because most people of the time were still coming off the 80s hair bands and one hit wonders. I won't disagree with you that Soundgarden is good, and that Ten is a great album, but they didn't play the same type of music as Nirvana. No one plays the same type of music as Nirvana.
They all are grunge bands.  They are different of course.  But if you ask me AIC is the best one, followed by Soundgarden, Pearl Jam and Nirvana, in that order.  Another great grunge album is Temple of the Dog, the combined Soundgarden and Pearl Jam effort that was a tribute to the late Andrew Wood from Mother Love Bone, another great grunge band of the late 80's.
Christbane
+51|6235

sergeriver wrote:

SysTray wrote:

They all are grunge bands.  They are different of course.  But if you ask me AIC is the best one, followed by Soundgarden, Pearl Jam and Nirvana, in that order.  Another great grunge album is Temple of the Dog, the combined Soundgarden and Pearl Jam effort that was a tribute to the late Andrew Wood from Mother Love Bone, another great grunge band of the late 80's.
dont forget Mad Season!   more great voclas from Layne!   

Layne Staley - Vocals, Guitar
Mike McCready - Guitars, electric and acoustic
John Baker Saunders - Electric Bass
Barrett Martin - Drums, Percussion, Marimba, Vibes, Cello, Upright Bass
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6757|Argentina

Christbane wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

SysTray wrote:

dont forget Mad Season!   more great voclas from Layne!   

Layne Staley - Vocals, Guitar
Mike McCready - Guitars, electric and acoustic
John Baker Saunders - Electric Bass
Barrett Martin - Drums, Percussion, Marimba, Vibes, Cello, Upright Bass
I was naming the major bands, of course the side projects are also great.  I have more than 100 grunge cd's, and I love them all.  Another excellent grunge album is Core, from STP.  Sadly the following albums suck.
oChaos.Haze
+90|6438
Wow I just happened to play nutshell tonight at a gig.  Hadn't played it in 2 years or so.  Funny how things work...
RoosterCantrell
Goodbye :)
+399|6480|Somewhere else

Ryan wrote:

I dunno him, sorry.
That's a crime right there.

Christbane wrote:

they are one of my favorites without a doubt.  second only to TOOL.  I got to see them live twice. once at lala palooza, and some other multi band outdoor show when they were just getting started.    damn that was like 16 years ago!  im getting old >(
Hey! damn. my two favorite bands right there. TOOL and AIC.  kick ass.  However, I do have to hate you for seeing Layne Perform live.   I was probably 12 when they did thier last major touring.

I did see Alice's Reunion tour with WIlliam Duvall covering for Layne.  Which, surprisingly, Duvall Did an excellent job.  He sang the song's so well, it was hard ,With your eyes closed not tell it wasn't Layne; and at the same not trying too hard to sound like him.  Job well done.

I just wish I could've also seen AICand the Tsunami benefit show, where Maynard James Keenan sang with Alice.  THAT would be fucking EPIC!

Still, it's such a shame Layne's gone.  But, after losing his Girlfriend Demri to a blood infection, his life became empty.   I just hope he has peace.

EDIT:

SysTray wrote:

Whiel Im not gonna have a pissing contest about who's better, I will say that I hear more of an influence form Alice In Chains in today's music, than I hear of Nirvana. Sadly, most of those bands suck nuts

Last edited by RoosterCantrell (2007-04-14 06:27:08)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard