Greenboi
+14|6377
Hey all, took delivery of my Gigabyte DS3 motherboard, and eVGA 8800GTS KO ACS3 gpu

Im a very happy chappy at the moment to say the least!

I ran 3d mark 05, execting 12k+... but i only got just over 10k, this is with the following set up:

C2D E6300 @ Stock (Seems to be running v hot, 60c idle.. this is why its at stock)
2gb crucial ballistix @ 667mhz
8800GTS KO @ stock (580core, 850memory)

Is that score about right? Also, using the latest nvidia drivers (im on XP)

Thanks in advance
soldevilla13
SuperFly
+21|6732|oregon
Your problem is right here: C2D E6300 @ Stock (not a problem, just not a help)
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6592|SE London

That's like my system and you're getting the same results at stock I get overclocked, and I was very pleased with my results.

*edit*D'oh 3DMark '05 - I need to brush up on my reading skills. I get the same score in '06, so it seems like something might be up.

Your CPU should NOT be idling at 60C. Under prolonged load that's just going to die on you. Cool it better, cool it better NOW. I'm not happy with mine going upto 45-50C under heavy prolonged load at 3.5GHz (idling at 30C) - you need to sort that out, FAST.

Last edited by Bertster7 (2007-04-13 16:38:55)

Greenboi
+14|6377
I guess but at 60c idle i dont want to overclock it like i used to
Greenboi
+14|6377

Bertster7 wrote:

That's like my system and you're getting the same results at stock I get overclocked, and I was very pleased with my results.
On 3d05? :S
Reciprocity
+721|6591|the dank(super) side of Oregon
60c at idle means there is something wrong.  make sure you dont have a wire interfering with your CPU fan.  did you install the heatsink correctly, in a cross patern?  did you install the heatsink more than once and not apply fresh thermal paste?
cospengle
+140|6497|Armidale, NSW, Australia
Yeah, my E6400 idles at around 35C (stock cooling and stock clock speed). You'd better check that out before you're up for a new chip too.
Greenboi
+14|6377
Okay thanks all, will get some new thermal paste and a new heatsink asap.  Seems to be throtteling under heavy load (as it hits 80c 0.0)

I know i have the heat sink installed properly, but when i put it on with my new motherboard i did not use more thermal paste as it still had some on it from when installed on my previous motherboard.

Booo gutta spend more money now:(

Well thanks for helping me
cospengle
+140|6497|Armidale, NSW, Australia
Just try the paste before you go buying a new heatsink.
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6578|NYC / Hamburg

Greenboi wrote:

Okay thanks all, will get some new thermal paste and a new heatsink asap.  Seems to be throtteling under heavy load (as it hits 80c 0.0)

I know i have the heat sink installed properly, but when i put it on with my new motherboard i did not use more thermal paste as it still had some on it from when installed on my previous motherboard.

Booo gutta spend more money now:(

Well thanks for helping me
when remounting/seating a heatsink you should always get rid of the thermal paste with some alcohol and cotton swabs and then re-apply new paste. Otherwise the heat transfer sucks
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Stormscythe
Aiming for the head
+88|6559|EUtopia | Austria
Also, try to use as little thermal paste as possible - rather put only a little dot on your cpu and try to get some piece of plastic to disperse the thermal paste on the cpu heatspreader (not on the heatsink ^^). On my cpu, there's not more than a pinhead of Arctic Silver 5 and my Prescott 3.0 is idling at 36°C only reaching 44°C under full load (With an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro, which isn't the bst air cooler anyway)! And that processor should be a power-hungry one, compared to yours ^^

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard