Stoned_Smurfz
The Mushroom Man
+1|6846|Australia
bah i might cry too
my dad lives in the sticks they got adsl1 there he gets 7mbps
i live in a city tho 5km from the exchange on adsl2+ and i only get 5mbps...
tho some big fat juicy cable runs past my house so im goin to cable
ELITE-UK
Scratching my back
+170|6473|SHEFFIELD, ENGLAND

KILLSWITCH wrote:

If anyone is thinking of upgrading, whatever you do, don't go with Sky broadband, they are truly shite.  The customer service is bollocks and we were waiting 3 months for them to connect us so in the end we told them to shove it up their arses.
LOL, i have just got Sky broadband last week dude, the first 2 days where shitty, but they told me it would be, but after that, its been great, good download speeds, reliable.

They connected us 2 days before the engineer came and installed it
cospengle
+140|6486|Armidale, NSW, Australia

Cheez wrote:

You don't live on a housing estate do you? Telstra likes to put in cheap hardware called RIMs,
and they aren't capable of anything above 4mb.
I think this might have something to do with it.

Anyway, I called my provider and after about 1.5 hours on the phone and trying several different things the guy basically said "stiff shit". He said it's because we're so far from the exchange. I asked if we can get out of our 2 year contract because we're only getting 16% of the speed they said we'd have, but of course he said we'd have to pay out the contract to disconnect. I don't want to disconnect anyway, at least what I've got is faster that what I had on ADSL, by more than double. It just sucks that I paid $113 to get out of my ADSL contract so I could get ADSL2+ and it's so crap. Also, my GF is pissed because the guy that sold it to us said she'd be able to DL songs in 30 seconds.
BeerzGod
Hooray Beer!
+94|6569|United States
I feel bad for all you guys in European countries, etc. who are stuck with worthless internet because 8meg, 100% broadband cable is so choice.
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6438|King Of The Islands

cospengle wrote:

Cheez wrote:

Hmm. I remember when McMinty first got 2+ I attempted to figure it out there.
Lets see here...

Try going into your modem's config and seeing what your line sync is (also check Down Attenuation, VPI, etc).

Do you know how much your line can handle, distance wise? You can do this equation:
  (Down Attenuation/1381) x 100=your distance in Km's
Then reference this graph

Edit: stupid maths.
Thanks for the link. I worked it out to be 2.2km from the exchange, which is about right.

So I guess when they told me I was getting a 24Mbps connection, they meant that's what I would get if I lived in the exchange... I never expected to get the full theoretical speed of course, but I'm pretty disappointed it's only 13% of what I was promised. Maybe I could ask them if it's OK to pay 13% of the price??? lol

EDIT: Hold the phone, I did that calculation above and used that value on the y axis of the graph to interpolate the distance. But the units on the graph are kbps. What's the formula for? At 2.2km I should be getting 14000kbps.
15.5mb if the line is pristine... It never is. You'll probably get 12-14 at most.

My mate in Melbourne used to get 14, then 12, all the way down to 4, and I think its levelled out at around 8. He says that he 'could shit a better exchange'. This may also be the case with you. Give your ISP a call they may have a diagnostic.
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard