Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6451|The Land of Scott Walker
http://www.military.com/NewsContent/0,1 … =marine.nl

It's a debate that's gone on for years - and now it's finally coming to a head.

The compact M4 carbine - a shortened version of the M16 - that is now standard issue for most Army troops, some Marines and other specialized units is facing increased criticism because of its tendency to malfunction with even the minutest exposure to the elements.

Some ground communities, including special operations forces, have begun to sideline the M4 in favor of newer, gas-piston operated variants such as the Heckler & Koch-manufactured 416 and the FNH-built Special Operations Forces Combat Assault Rifle, or SCAR

In a routine acquisition notice March 23, a U.S. Special Forces battalion based in Okinawa announced that it is buying 84 upper receiver assemblies for the HK416 to modify their M4 carbines. The M4 fires using a system that redirects gas from the expended round to eject it and reload another. The 416 and SCAR use a gas-operated piston that physically pushes the bolt back to eject the round and load another.

Carbon buildup from the M4's gas system has plagued the rifle for years, resulting in some close calls with Soldiers in combat whose rifles jammed at critical moments.

According to the solicitation for the new upper receiver assemblies, the 416 "allows Soldiers to replace the existing M4 upper receiver with an HK proprietary gas system that does not introduce propellant gases and the associated carbon fouling back into the weapon's interior. This reduces operator cleaning time, and increases the reliability of the M4 Carbine, particularly in an environment in which sand and dust are prevalent."

The 416 is used by the Army's elite Delta Force, and a recent Army Times investigation showed the service's top equipment buyers ignored data from the spec ops community showing the M4 had fundamental flaws. Enamored by the development of futuristic weapons such as the XM29 and, later, XM8 - neither of which were ever fielded - the M4 stayed in the hands of Soldiers deploying to hot, dusty, austere environments like Iraq and Afghanistan.

The Army would prefer to wait for the development of a new rifle firing an airburst, round - essentially leaping ahead of today's technology. But that innovation has been hard to find in the right weight class.

An Army spokeswoman for Program Executive Office Soldier, based at Fort Belvoir, Va., said in a statement the Army isn't buying into SOF's argument.

"At this time PEO Soldier is not procuring and does not have plans to procure the 416," said Army spokeswoman, Erin Thomas, in an email statement.

But special operations forces sometimes work outside the "Big Army" procurement system, so they can grab the best gear quickly.

"The elimination of the gas tube ... means that the M4 will function normally even if the weapon is fired full of water without first being drained," the justification for the 416 assembly buy states. "There isn't another company that offers these features in their products. It is a practical, versatile system."

Army weapons experts have been tinkering with new weapons designs, such as the HK-built XM8. Its modular design, rugged construction and accuracy intrigued many in the Army - and other services. But in 2005, the Army abandoned the XM8 after spending $33 million - though the Natick Soldier Systems Center has been looking at a shortened version of the XM8 as a personal defense weapon for officers and armored vehicle crews.

So far, however, the Army is unwilling to buy what the special operations community believes is a clearly superior system and is still spending money looking for another technology while Soldiers use what many say is an inferior weapon in harsh combat conditions.

"The Infantry School at Fort Benning, Georgia is currently conducting a Capabilities Based Assessment to determine future Army needs," Thomas said in the statement, declining to elaborate.
----------
Discuss.

Last edited by Stingray24 (2007-04-11 15:12:46)

GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6650
the m16/m4 series of weapons might be on the record as the longest serving rifle in the US Army.  its a great weapon but i totally see how you could knock on it.  cant be a lazy bastard if you wanna be proficient with it.  tell you the truth, I fear change.
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6451|The Land of Scott Walker
Have you used the variant they're talking about, Gunslinger?  I wondered if anyone here has used both and what they're perspective might be.
Hurricane
Banned
+1,153|6636|Washington, DC

Pff, give the soldiers steroids + olympic strength training and they can lug the XM29 around with ease =p

As for the M4, it looks pretty sweet IMO. Still, if there are better things, why not use them?
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6650
oh no, thats news to me.  ive dabbled with the 16a2/a4 and the m4 in terms of being a rifleman.  but, i was AR (automatic rifleman,  one step below MG,  the SAW) for the most part of my infantry career.  Im also the only person that I know who absolutley loves that m249.   majority of soldiers/marines i know hate that weapon.  that other weapon theyre talking bout sounds like its coming into play in SO world.  SO always gets everything first.  EVERYTHING.  they tweak and play with it till its just right before they give it the go ahead and send it down to conventional forces.
S3v3N
lolwut?
+685|6524|Montucky
I carried the M4 for 3 years while in Marines by far the best variant of the M16.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6650
my m16a4 was broken in iraq, but, i kinda bubblegummed it to fire because they didnt have the parts to replace.  really dangerous but i knew what i was doing.  one time though, WOW.  id rather not say.....but, wow.
Parker
isteal
+1,452|6400|The Gem Saloon
i think the M4/M16 have served this country for a very long time. IF IT IS PROPERLY MAINTAINED it works fine, even in conditions such as iraq. if it is not properly cared for, just like any other firearm it will fail.

however with that being said there are many other weapons systems that could be used as it is a very old design.
yuckfou09
hide your terrorists ^,^
+94|6683|Ft. Drum, NY
funny thing, last saturday i was shooting with my bud from thye NAVY and he has a bushmaster M4 and I have a ak-47 romanian and i was like

me- "hey, has that thing jammed on you yet?

underwood- "nah, and i havent cleaned it yet and ive taken it to the range like 3 times so far"

Just then......."CLICK"

LOLOLOLOLOL Owned
S3v3N
lolwut?
+685|6524|Montucky

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

my m16a4 was broken in iraq, but, i kinda bubblegummed it to fire because they didnt have the parts to replace.  really dangerous but i knew what i was doing.  one time though, WOW.  id rather not say.....but, wow.
Field Armorer FTW.  I've done it too.. and yeah wow.

Last edited by S3v3N (2007-04-11 15:33:25)

GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6650

Parker wrote:

i think the M4/M16 have served this country for a very long time. IF IT IS PROPERLY MAINTAINED it works fine, even in conditions such as iraq. if it is not properly cared for, just like any other firearm it will fail.

however with that being said there are many other weapons systems that could be used as it is a very old design.
100% correct

S3v3N wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

Field Armorer FTW.  I've done it too.. and yeah wow.
lol seriously

amazing what you could do with 550 cord and 100mph tape

Last edited by GunSlinger OIF II (2007-04-11 15:34:39)

Skorpy-chan
+127|6351|Twyford, UK
So what, they nixed the XM8 as well, which would have been a godsend somewhere like iraq. The M16's direct impingement mechanism isn't very well suited to deserts or swamps, but guess where it's been fielded for the last 40 years? Mostly swamp and desert.
They're being too perfectionist, IMO. They keep cancelling projects because of the '300% improvement' they want. I don't think you can GET that without entering the realms of impossibility of sci-fi.

Bring on the imperial lasgun, I say.
Stubbee
Religions Hate Facts, Questions and Doubts
+223|6749|Reality
There is a Youtube video of the H&K where they bury it in sand, pull it out and fire.

EDIT

Found it

Last edited by Stubbee (2007-04-11 16:07:23)

The US economy is a giant Ponzi scheme. And 'to big to fail' is code speak for 'niahnahniahniahnah 99 percenters'
l41e
+677|6654

Just wondering, would it be possible to take the action of the Bren/L4 LMG, turn it upside down, and stick it in an upper receiver that would fit the M16/M4?
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6650

k30dxedle wrote:

Just wondering, would it be possible to take the action of the Bren/L4 LMG, turn it upside down, and stick it in an upper receiver that would fit the M16/M4?
im sure you could but what about the buffer spring.  dont think youll be able to fire.  what calibre is that weapon?
BVC
+325|6702
Shit...a vet in my paintball group was saying he'd love to replace our army's rifles with M4s...Austeyrs must be utter shite!

Last edited by Pubic (2007-04-11 16:46:51)

GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6650
tell you the truth i prefer the 16 over the m4.  unless we're talking MOUT.
l41e
+677|6654

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

k30dxedle wrote:

im sure you could but what about the buffer spring.  dont think youll be able to fire.  what calibre is that weapon?
.303 British, converted to .308 for the L4. Would it be possible to smaller-ize (?) it to fit 5.56?
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6696|Tampa Bay Florida
What I'm hoping someone can explain to me is why the US military isnt seriously considering bullpup rifles... I mean, you get rifle-lengthed barrels while the gun is only the length of a carbine, right?  It just doesnt make sense why someone wouldnt want an AUG, FN2000 or some other bullpup rifle.  Can anyone here answer this question?  Gunslinger?
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6650

k30dxedle wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

k30dxedle wrote:

.303 British, converted to .308 for the L4. Would it be possible to smaller-ize (?) it to fit 5.56?
is it a long round?  im sure itll  be possible as long as you align the gas tube right and do some welding or something.  youd also have to fuck with sear accordling. not so much the trigger mech.  on the other hand you would if you unless you change some the characteristics on the upper reciever.  but i dont know too much about that shit.  just been around it.

Spearhead wrote:

Can anyone here answer this question?
i dont know.  I feel loyal to the m16.
Ridir
Semper Fi!
+48|6770

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

the m16/m4 series of weapons might be on the record as the longest serving rifle in the US Army.  its a great weapon but i totally see how you could knock on it.  cant be a lazy bastard if you wanna be proficient with it.  tell you the truth, I fear change.
Personally I would like a slightly larger round with more knockdown power.  The m16 is a good rifle for competition shooting but with how often we had to field strip them just in training at Camp Pendleton just to ensure they would fire when we needed them to.  Also the M4 isn't going to be introduced widespread into the USMC due to drill (marching for those who aren't certain what drill is).
BVC
+325|6702

Spearhead wrote:

What I'm hoping someone can explain to me is why the US military isnt seriously considering bullpup rifles... I mean, you get rifle-lengthed barrels while the gun is only the length of a carbine, right?  It just doesnt make sense why someone wouldnt want an AUG, FN2000 or some other bullpup rifle.  Can anyone here answer this question?  Gunslinger?
My paintball vet buddy was saying Austeyrs (AUG derivative) have a tendency to cook off with heavy use.  Said he put 5 mags through and the thing was firing by itself after that.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6768

Spearhead wrote:

Money and lives.

I believe they are looking into other weapons.  You just cannot introduce them while you are in a war.  Think back to the original M16 in Vietnam.

Last edited by usmarine2005 (2007-04-11 22:35:43)

alien-DSW-Gen
Hates snipers and says the "F" word a lot
+72|6680|Houston, Texas
this is typical army politics. same exact thing happened when the ar-15 platform was first introduced, it was almost scrapped... and to think what a diffrent path our forces would have without the m16/m4's built off that ar-15 platform would of taken.. considering the army wanted to stay with the older technology....
CannonFodder11b
Purple Heart Recipient
+73|6696|Fort Lewis WA

Spearhead wrote:

Honestly you dont need a full length barrel with todays compensators.  Look at the PARA-SAW.  The barrel is so much shorter then the SAW's, and yet it holds the same Accuracy. Its all in that threaded, and ported compensator.  The army is looking into several different styles in compensator, for SDMs to mount on they're M14's or M4's.  The first time I was here we used our M14's daily.  This time though, that weapon just sits on the stryker and we use our M4's and optics.  Last time I think we actually fired it was Haifa Street.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard