stkhoplite
Banned
+564|6485|Sheffield-England
Ok so heres the deal... the other week i bought Blitz The League for the Xbox 360...
How the hell do i play it? I'm english so how the hell would i know?

Any help on explaining the game?
cheers
messmessmess17
CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
+54|6559|london, enlgand
take it back and get madden 07. its so much better and all you have to do is ask ea what play to do

i also play it for real lol. just extremly badly

Last edited by messmessmess17 (2007-04-11 04:36:49)

ELITE-UK
Scratching my back
+170|6479|SHEFFIELD, ENGLAND
Ive played Madden, so you should have gotten madden.
coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6714|England. Stoke
I too am English, and I too bought Madden took me a little while but I think from playing that and watching the game a bit on channel 5 I've gotten to know most of the rules. It aint as complicated as it first seems, just think of it like rugby league.
weasel_thingo
+74|6332
yeah madden is good, get madden.
cowami
OY, BITCHTITS!
+1,106|6295|Noo Yawk, Noo Yawk

*sigh*

Since no one is explaining the rules of American football, I'll take the liberty.

The Kickoff
First, the teams flip a coin. This determines who receives the ball, and which direction the defending team will defend toward. The defending team kicks the ball down field, where the offensive team will run catch the ball and push forward, to get in a good position for their drive.

Offense
Each set has 4 downs. This means that the offense has 4 chances to go at least 10 yards forward from their last ball position (called the line of scrimmage). This can be accomplished in two ways: passing or running.

These are the main offensive players:
  • Quarterback (QB)- Your main player, he touches the ball on every play. He leads the offense.
  • Running back/halfback/tailback (RB)- This player comes in two styles: Small and fast, and big and tough. Smaller players tend to use their speed to dodge defenders to gain yardage. Bigger players tend to try and plow through the defenders in order to gain yards.
  • Tight end (TE)- A player who can play offense or defense. Most option plays will involve a tight end, who sets up as if he is defending no matter what. Tight ends can either help the offensive line block defensive players, or they can go out and catch passes.
  • Wide receiver (WR)- The wide receiver is a tall, fast (usually black) player whose job is to catch passes (though on a few trick plays, they can be used as running backs). Their height allows them to reach over players to make catches and they can typically jump very high.
There are many different types of passing and running plays, and I'll run through a few basic passing plays here, considering my running game is terrible:
  • The screen pass: The running back runs horizontally, parallel to the line of scrimmage. As the defense rushes forward, the quarterback throws to the side, to the running back, who runs down the sidelines. Useful if the defense tries to blitz (i.e., send everyone at the QB).
  • Play action: This is always coupled with a passing play. Play action involves faking a handoff to the running back, hopefully throwing the defense off and giving you a few seconds extra for the throw.
  • The option: An option is when a receiver has different routes they can run. They usually start the same (e.g., run forward), then differ somehow (e.g., slant right, cut left, etc.). The point of an option is that the play can be unpredictable and can get a defender off the receiver, leaving them open.
A touchdown is scored when the ball reaches the endzone, and is worth 6 points. After scoring a touchdown, the offense can either kick for an extra point, or they can attempt to pass or run the ball for an extra 2 points. Regardless of which one is performed, the offensive team then kicks the ball off to the defensive team, and the roles switch.Of course, a touchdown is not scored on every play. When a team enters "field goal range" (usually within 30-40 yards of the endzone) and they are down to their 4th down, they usually opt for a field goal. The field goal is a kicking play and is worth 3 points (I believe it's done in rugby too, but I'm not sure). It can be blocked, but it rarely is.When an offense reaches 4th down, and are nowhere near field goal range, they go with the punt. The goal of a punt is to get the ball as far away from your endzone as possible. It differs from the kickoff in that the punt does not have someone holding the ball, resulting in a shorter kick. The punter must catch the snap then kick the ball down field. Also, punters can run fake punt plays, where a pass or run occurs. This is useful when you only have a yard or 2 to gain.DefenseThe defense's job is simple: Hold the offense back. Do not let them gain yardage.The main defensive roles are:
  • Defensive line- These are some of your biggest players. Their main job is to punch through the offensive line and rush, or ideally, sack the QB. Sacking the QB causes the other team to lose yardage, hence why it is so imperative to have a strong defensive line.
  • Cornerback (CB)- The players are like wide receivers, but usually not quite as good at catching. They can jump high, are tall, and must have speed to keep up with wide receivers. They try to knock passes down, intercept the ball, or tackle the receiver if the ball is caught.
  • Safeties (FS, SS)- The job of safeties is all-around. They can defend against passes like cornerbacks, or they can help the defensive line in rushing the offense (almost always in a blitz). They also tend to stop running plays.
There are a few ways the defense can turn the ball back over, and can actually score points.
  • The interception- This involves a player on the defense catching the ball. The result of this is that the ball is turned over to the defending team.
  • The fumble- A fumble occurs when a player catches (and has control of) the ball, but loses it somehow. A fumble can be forced by hitting a player hard enough, and usually ends up in a dogpile (the stereotypical image of football players heaped on each other). The ball is either recovered by the offense or turned over to the defense.
  • The safety- The only way the defense can score points. If a player on the offense is tackled within the defending team's endzone, a safety is scored. A safety is worth 2 points, and goes to the defending team.

That's all I have for now, hope you like my "basic" list.
https://i.imgur.com/PfIpcdn.gif
ghettoperson
+1,943|6655

Copypasta!
voodoosniper7
BF2s Nublet
+71|6444|somewhere other then here

ghettoperson wrote:

Copypasta!
hey do not hate on copy and pasted that is my life and my job
cowami
OY, BITCHTITS!

ghettoperson wrote:

Copypasta!
Actually, no. I really did write that all out.

That's what happens when your mom lets you oversleep on the first day back to school.
jord
+2,382|6683|The North, beyond the wall.

cowami wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

Copypasta!
Actually, no. I really did write that all out.

That's what happens when your mom lets you oversleep on the first day back to school.
My mum only lets me have days off when she oversleeps.
Coolbeano
Level 13.5 BF2S Ninja Penguin Sensei
+378|6769

Let's shorten that.

Two lines.
Quarterback gets ball from center through the legs.
He wants to get it 10 yards forward.
He has 4 tries. (3 if you play manly CFL)
The other team wants to take the guy with the ball down.
The QB has a bunch of people protecting him from that team.
He also has some receivers to throw the ball to in efforts of getting it 10 yards.

The rest is rather logical.
TheOneAndOnlyX
Banned
+36|6380|Florida, USA

Coolbeano wrote:

Let's shorten that.

Two lines.
Quarterback gets ball from center through the legs.
He wants to get it 10 yards forward.
He has 4 tries. (3 if you play manly CFL)
The other team wants to take the guy with the ball down.
The QB has a bunch of people protecting him from that team.
He also has some receivers to throw the ball to in efforts of getting it 10 yards.

The rest is rather logical.
HAHAHAHA The worst NFL team could crush the best CFL team easily. Your Canadian teams suck!
G3|Genius
Pope of BF2s
+355|6631|Sea to globally-cooled sea
buy madden, i agree.  it's awesome
cowami
OY, BITCHTITS!

G3|Genius wrote:

buy madden, i agree.  it's awesome
And if you do buy it, my list applies even more (considering that I don't have Blitz)!
fadedsteve
GOP Sympathizer
+266|6496|Menlo Park, CA
What about the LINEBACKERS cowami?? You mentioned the Conerbacks, Safety, Defensive line. . . .etc.

How could you leave out one of the most pivotal positions on defense?? Shame on you!! -1 if I could!

The Linbacker: A linebacker is a position in American and Canadian football invented by legendary football coach Fielding Yost of the University of Michigan. Linebackers are members of the defensive team, and line up approximately five to seven yards behind the line of scrimmage, behind the defensive linemen. Linebackers generally align themselves before the ball is snapped by standing upright in a "two point stance" (as opposed to the defensive linemen, who put one or two hands on the ground for a "three point stance" or "four point stance" before the ball is snapped). The linebacker is often the most feared player on the defensive side of the ball and is considered the ideal blend of size, strength, ferocity, speed and overall athleticism.

jesus christ. . . . and you "know" football. . . .

Last edited by fadedsteve (2007-04-11 13:55:49)

oChaos.Haze
+90|6444
Sounds like someone was a linebacker in high school.
Sk
stat padding is for girls
+41|6394
take it back and buy Pro Evo 6..

Play REAL football.

(begin war...)
jord
+2,382|6683|The North, beyond the wall.

Sk wrote:

take it back and buy Pro Evo 6..

Play REAL football.

(begin war...)
FIFA.
fibtech
+10|6280
stkhoplite......

The following is a link to the rules of the NFL.  These rules will differ somewhat from both high school and college football.  I'm sure cowami meant well and was quite generous in explaining "his" understanding of the rules.  It was however greatly oversimplified and in some cases incorrect.

http://www.nfl.com/fans/rules
InfectiousShadow
BF2S Resident Bass Player
+45|6437|Washington State, USA

fadedsteve wrote:

What about the LINEBACKERS cowami?? You mentioned the Conerbacks, Safety, Defensive line. . . .etc.

How could you leave out one of the most pivotal positions on defense?? Shame on you!! -1 if I could!

The Linbacker: A linebacker is a position in American and Canadian football invented by legendary football coach Fielding Yost of the University of Michigan. Linebackers are members of the defensive team, and line up approximately five to seven yards behind the line of scrimmage, behind the defensive linemen. Linebackers generally align themselves before the ball is snapped by standing upright in a "two point stance" (as opposed to the defensive linemen, who put one or two hands on the ground for a "three point stance" or "four point stance" before the ball is snapped). The linebacker is often the most feared player on the defensive side of the ball and is considered the ideal blend of size, strength, ferocity, speed and overall athleticism.

jesus christ. . . . and you "know" football. . . .
thats exactly what i play (in real life)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard