too_money2007
+145|6304|Keller, Tx
So, to make a long story short, I'm trying to bum a wireless signal off my neighbors who haven't protected their router.

I went and bought a wireless card for my laptop and installed everything. I connect to their signal, getting a Very Good to Good rated signal, my browser is set up correctly, but I cannot pull up any webpage. When my friend brings his laptop over, he can use their internet with his built in card, so what's up with mine?

I can usually figure stuff like this out, but everything that I've tried has failed. The signal is at +90%, so I doubt it's that. Their router is completely unprotected too.. so, what do you guys think my next step is (other than paying for the internet myself)?
Marlboroman82
Personal philosophy: Clothing optional.
+1,022|6619|Camp XRay

run, cmd, ipconfig /release, ipconfig /renew
https://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l250/marlboroman82/Untitled-8.png
too_money2007
+145|6304|Keller, Tx
I'll give that a shot when I get home.

I used the Repair button in network connections as well, not sure if that's the same thing. I remember seeing it state that it was dropping the IP and obtaining a new one.
too_money2007
+145|6304|Keller, Tx
Tried ipconfig /release, didn't work.

Anyone else have any ideas?
jsnipy
+3,276|6518|...

You get a very good signal but are you connected to thier network? hint: what is you ipadress reporting as (try start->run->cmd->ipconfig /all )
Titch2349
iz me!
+358|6348|uk

In IE...

Tools, Options, Connections, Never dial a connection
too_money2007
+145|6304|Keller, Tx

jsnipy wrote:

You get a very good signal but are you connected to thier network? hint: what is you ipadress reporting as (try start->run->cmd->ipconfig /all )
My ip is always 192.168.1.115, when I disconnect and renew it, it comes back as the same. I'll have to wait and see what that command tells me when I get home.
too_money2007
+145|6304|Keller, Tx

Titch2349 wrote:

In IE...

Tools, Options, Connections, Never dial a connection
I'll double check that when I get home, but I'm more than certain I don't have it selected.
too_money2007
+145|6304|Keller, Tx
Well, I think the problem is the laptop or the card itself.

I took my laptop to my mom's house and tried connecting to her wireless 'net. Didn't work. I had the correct password (that I set up back in the day) and a perfect connection. Nothing would load.

Fuck it, something else has come along and I'm going to be getting DSL, if no contract is required.
Stoned_Smurfz
The Mushroom Man
+1|6843|Australia
mac address block?
my router at home is set up so that only the computers in my house can access the internet.. i have a list of mac addresses and the routher is set to block all mac's from getting on the internet except my 3.. prehaps ur friend is doing that?
Jameseyy
Banned
+108|6224|Scotland!

too_money2007 wrote:

So, to make a long story short, I'm trying to bum a wireless signal off my neighbors who haven't protected their router.
Get your own internet, Why not steal the clothes off their washing line and the petrol from their car too, just because it's not got a lock on it doesn't make it yours.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard