Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6666
Is it just me or are games gradually moving away from a high learning curve, with a style ideally suited for players who want to get good, and are instead forcing players to work together (thus reducing the capabilities of one man), rewarding loyality instead of skill, and just slowly dumbing down games altogether?

I do not like forced teamwork. Teamwork is a perfectly timed attack from two sides at once, is a squad leader sneaking around getting into a perfect position for his teammates to spawn when they do as much damage before spawning, is covering each other, is.. well, and so on.

Teamwork is not giving orders, following orders, is not earning points, and is definetely NOT teamwork points.

I love it when I have the ability to learn how to best a game and eventually become skilled enough to take on an entire server at once (within limits of course ). This is so in CS. This was so in Quake. It was so in BF2. It is not so in 2142. And I fear that quake wars and many other games coming out are following the trend of dumbing down the insane speed, fast weapons with high damage, and proper arena-deathmatch style gameplay to leave make the game more friendly towards lower skilled players who do not want to learn how to play a game and will move on to the next game that receives enough hype to get their attention.

A good example of making a game fit for the majority is World of Warcraft: it rewards you easily and does not take any considerable skill to do. although I must admit the way that teamwork happens in WoW is nice, I still think that WoW lets people achieve something easily and gives players a good way to talk about their progress. (think levels gained, items/weapons earned, etc.) without them really making any actual progress.
A game for me is something you're utter crap at in the beginning, spend months or even years practicing, and then at the end you can enjoy it immensly when you get really good.

another more personal concern is the relative realism: No more bouncing around all over the place, no more things like rocket jumping, no more dolpin diving madness, no more shooting at each other in midair flying across the map at insane speeds. I ENJOY THAT. it's a challenge! It's fun! it takes a lot of practice! but I fear it's going away fast. We're tied to the ground, unable to shoot unless if we stand dead still, and on top of that the guns are weak and innacurate, leaving much to luck. Do all games need to be like this? of course not. But neither do all games have to try to be realistic. I doubt that Quake 3 would have been quite as populair as it was if you couldn't jump using weapons, shoot while jumping, move quickly, and fire peashooters at each other.

Back to teamwork: when you make two random people work together to get a tank moving, people are going to get pissed off. Obvious example: choppers in BF2. while its great to be able to work together if you want, it sucks to have some random idiot shooting at nothing, or in the case of a tank that has a driver and a gunner: someone who randomly drives about with a very good gunner trying to shoot stuff. It shouldn't be forced on to players. Such things do not work on pubs, unless if you have some very good tricks for altering the atitude of your entire player base into being communicative, nice, and understanding people.
This forced teamwork also makes it impossible to do well on your own. Thus, nobody can come on to a server and make johnny feel bad. another way of making said boy feel good about himself when he really isn't good at all.

please respond with some actual constructive arguements. I will not have random ass forum trolls telling me to go play game X.

Last edited by SargeV1.4 (2007-03-29 13:32:02)

https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6644|949

Yes!  I agree 100%.  BF2142 made me realize this.  The learning curve is nowhere near its predecessors.

We will see about Crysis though.  The game play looks great, but I haven't seen footage that displays how easy/tough it will be to learn.
l41e
+677|6661

Your third-to-last sentence explains it all, with the help of one symbol and one image.

Symbol: $
Image: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/2/23/ESRB_T.png/75px-ESRB_T.png
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6666

k30dxedle wrote:

Your third-to-last sentence explains it all, with the help of one symbol and one image.

Symbol: $
Image: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e … ESRB_T.png
too right.

*facedesk and rock in general direction of developers*
https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
Simon
basically
+838|6670|UK

SargeV1.4 wrote:

And I fear that quake wars and many other games coming out are following the trend of dumbing down the insane speed, fast weapons with high damage, and proper arena-deathmatch style gameplay to leave make the game more friendly towards lower skilled players who do not want to learn how to play a game and will move on to the next game that receives enough hype to get their attention.
Do you have any solid evidence that QW will follow this trend? or are you preempting it.

SargeV1.4 wrote:

Back to teamwork: when you make two random people work together to get a tank moving, people are going to get pissed off. Obvious example: choppers in BF2. while its great to be able to work together if you want, it sucks to have some random idiot shooting at nothing, or in the case of a tank that has a driver and a gunner: someone who randomly drives about with a very good gunner trying to shoot stuff. It shouldn't be forced on to players. Such things do not work on pubs, unless if you have some very good tricks for altering the attitude of your entire player base into being communicative, nice, and understanding people.
This forced teamwork also makes it impossible to do well on your own. Thus, nobody can come on to a server and make johnny feel bad. another way of making said boy feel good about himself when he really isn't good at all.
I agree in a way,but the forced teamwork also encourages a player to excel on his own, learning his own tricks, not being pulled down by the average player. Obvious example: Soloing in BF2. But I do agree with that for the most part.

SargeV1.4 wrote:

another more personal concern is the relative realism: No more bouncing around all over the place, no more things like rocket jumping, no more dolpin diving madness, no more shooting at each other in midair flying across the map at insane speeds.
Although hopping around the map (No not bunnyhopping in BF2 for those idiots) can be fun, and is obviously for you, I'm sure alot of people with agree with me when I say that is not what some gamers want.

Some gamers want to progress easily throughout the game without much hassle/work. (Whiners in BF2)
Some gamers, like you, want the game to be a challenges but still fun, fun enough to keep on learning until you know the tricks that were killing you when you started.
Some gamers just simply want to be the best, whether the game is easy or hard.
Some gamers want to game to be basic, easy, simple.
Some gamers want the game to be changed to fit their needs, so its easier for them, so they don't die as much, so they don't have to try and they still get kills.

Sarge1.4 wrote:

We're tied to the ground, unable to shoot unless if we stand dead still
What game are you referring to exactly?

About the learning curve a bit more, for the past few months Ive been playing CSS on and off, the learning curve in CSS is so unbelievably different than it is in BF2, in bf2 the learning curve is simple, you both go prone, whoever has the more power full gun, or whoever saw each other first wins (In publics), not knowing any better.
In CSS the average skill level is much higher than in BF2, its so much more about aim, in BF2 its about where you are and random luck, with all the messed up deviation and hitreg its hardly about aim. I'm assuming this is because all the whining gamers who cant take a high learning curve quit after a few days. I still have a whole lot to learn in CSS, I like that, it adds something to the game that BF2 hasn't got for me, it gives the game another layer.

BF2 wont last much longer because of these reasons, CSS will last for a very long time (And already has) because of the higher learning curve.
Volatile
+252|6717|Sextupling in Empire

I think that this sort of gameplay is generally more enjoyable to most.

Edit: There will always be dathmatch style games that allow extreme gamers to shine. Battlefield style games want to emphasize teamwork as the game becomes more immersive when there is a great deal of communication.

SargeV1.4 wrote:

This part of the OP doesn't sit well with me. What's wrong with everyone having fun? Do you need to feel superior, or have other players know your superior? That statement just seemed somewhat egotistical.

Perhaps I misunderstood?

Last edited by Volatile_Squirrel (2007-03-29 14:49:04)

madmurre
I suspect something is amiss
+117|6723|Sweden
Agree with pretty much everything there´s allot of limits in what you can do in bf2142 no matter how good you are they were less in bf2.

Then teamwork can be great fun unless you´re on the recieving end then it does´nt matter what you do you will only ( at best ) slow the whole thing down.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6481
Different genre maybe? Look the teamwork focused games are becoming more popular and getting better reveiws than those who are more arcade-esque. BF2 and 2142 wanted to emphasise teamwork over all else because that is what people want to do. When teamwork is forced, in games like BF2 and BF2142 then people will use teamwork most of the time. When it is not forced people will almost never use teamwork. Take CSS, no one ever uses teamwork, the game may as well be DM only and few would notice, the team that wins is always the team with the best players on it. In team-orientated games it is the team that co-operates the most that wins, and while having superior players is still important it is not the only factor in which team will win unlike in non-teamwork games.

Also your point about BunnyHopping and Dophine diving, well they are fine in DM games because DM focus on the individual over the team, but are extremely out of place in team-work based games as people who do those things tend to avoid using real teamwork, which is what the game is about  and as a result they should not be present in them.

And Simon's statement about CSS being less about luck than in BF2 I would just like to say how easy it is to get a hit in CSS so it really isn't luck or skill, it is just crap, CSS is just crap.
alien-DSW-Gen
Hates snipers and says the "F" word a lot
+72|6686|Houston, Texas
I agree with a lot of what you said. I have stopped playing 2142, and bf2 as well, though just because i'm sick of it. There are a lot of games out there, a lot of them more realistic, or just "dumbed" dumb. I have yet to find a new game that suits my interest for a "full time" game to occupy my time. I find myself playing multiple things, swapping back and forth, bored, and just wishing something decent would come out.
SilentscoutIX
BF2s US Server Admin
+91|6400|Vancouver, BC, Canada

SargeV1.4 wrote:

And I fear that quake wars and many other games coming out are following the trend of dumbing down the insane speed, fast weapons with high damage, and proper arena-deathmatch style gameplay to leave make the game more friendly towards lower skilled players who do not want to learn how to play a game and will move on to the next game that receives enough hype to get their attention.
Actually I saw an interview with the lead developer and he said that they were doing their utmost to avoid this becoming the case. And for all our sake I pray he is right.
Dragonclaw
+186|6318|Florida

SilentscoutIX wrote:

SargeV1.4 wrote:

Actually I saw an interview with the lead developer and he said that they were doing their utmost to avoid this becoming the case. And for all our sake I pray he is right.
With the name "Quake" in the title you know theres going to be hardcore bunnyhopping or its just not Quake.
tehz
<3 Bosnia
+11|6513|gulf of oman
Agreeable for the most part and I will use Quake 3 ctf and/or Q3 Urban Terror ctf as an example. It's team based however here is a scenario.

It's a 4v4 (or whatever) match, Team A has good shooters (accurate) but they all lack footwork. Team B has a few good (accurate) shooters and 1 or 2 people who can strafe very well ( by that I mean fast in a half, single or two beat strafe (like 1200 ups or better fast)). Team A will have a struggle keeping Team B from getting caps. Team B is the minority in most cases on Public servers.

The majority of people want to have a fun time which does not involve having the floor mopped with them. They don't want to have to spend a ton of time practicing just to get a frag, and don't want to go 0-fer in caps all the time. This introduces games having limits on one single player imposed. This way the majority of the paying for the game too people can have a good time.

I used to play allot on a CoD:UO realism s/d server, not because of the mod, but because of it's all custom map rotation. "No grenades thrown in the first 15 seconds of the round/no bunny hopping to avoid fire/weapon limits per round and no round after round whoring of certain limited weapons (Springfield) or kick/ban." They were all terrific people and fun and they loved to game but, they all lacked good coordination/fast aiming and shooting skill. The dumbed down rules made it possible for them to all play and have fun casually. which is all that the majority of the gaming public wants to have.

Hell, you're from up north Europe, I'm sure you know what darts is. would you as a beginner want to constantly play pubs against Per Skau or Ray van Barneveld. This is why soft tips became popular, huge targets, easy to score big and have the same fun as the "pros".

Efficient players, like you Sarge (especially in the jet) are the minority and unfortunately lose out most of the time.

I hope Quake Wars and/or Crysis are not bound by these limitations. It is after all, the numbers in the sales department that will determine this.
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6677|NT, like Mick Dundee

TeamFortress 2.

Counterstrike: Source.

Hopefully Quake Wars: ET....

Those are the answers to your prayers. I have borrowed CS: Source from R3v and am planning on getting TF2.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard