• Index » 
  • Community » 
  • Tech » 
  • Computer Monitor Wont Turn On!! Need Help Fast Please!
K-milk
+13|6589|NJ
OK, a few days ago i was playing World of Warcarft, and suddenly the game crashed to the "Physical memory dump" blue screen.  I thought is was a game error so i tried reinstalling it.  When it was installing, I tried to play BF2, but the same thing happened.  After forcefully shutting down my computer (pressing the power button until it shuts down), I started my computer.  It worked, and made noises but NOTHING displayed on the screen.  Called Dell, they said my graphic card fried, but i don't believe them, so I'm asking all you computer pros out there that can help me.  Yes i do know alot about computers so you don't have to give me step by step instructions how to solve my problem.  Anyway any support is appreciated, and I thank those giving there time to help me.  Thanks again!

P.S. IM using a differant computer for those asking how I am writing this topic.
Check out my new Modern Warfare 3 Website!  http://mw3network.com
SuperSlowYo
slow as you go
+124|6579|Canaduhhh.. West Toast
fried monitor possibly.. try hookin the monitor to a different computer and find out
AndrewKF
+3|6387
What kind of sounds, rather what kind of beeping you hear is it just one beep when you start the PC or different try to describe ...
delta4bravo*nl*
Dutch Delight
+68|6771
looks like a fried card...
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6785|Cambridge (UK)
'fraid dell is probably right - it sounds like it's either a dead monitor or a dead video card.

D'u have a spare monitor? Or a spare video card?
K-milk
+13|6589|NJ
Thanks for your replies guys, really appreciated.  Anyway, when I turn I my computer, I hear 2 short beeps.  I tried looking them up on the Internet but could not find what I was looking for.  One more thing. There are 4 lights on the front of my computer, labeled, 1   2   3   4.  On start up, the lights flash when running BIOS and you know check to make sure everything is OK.  Once the computer is loaded and I hear the 2 short beeps, lights 1, 2, and 3. stay lit.  According to the Dell website ( http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/s … #wp1054184 ) this mean that there is an error somewhere with my hard drive, CD drive, or DVD drive.
Anyway thanks for you help.

P.S.  My monitor is fine.

Last edited by K-milk (2007-03-29 12:36:54)

Magpie
international welder....Douchebag Dude, <3 ur mom
+257|6545|Milkystania, yurop

K-milk wrote:

OK, a few days ago i was playing World of Warcarft
Your monitor commited suicide cause it HATES WOW and so do i
jsnipy
+3,276|6541|...

k-milk, like how ketamine is milky?
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6544|South Florida

K-milk wrote:

a few days ago i was playing World of Warcarft
Theres your problem
15 more years! 15 more years!
jimmanycricket
EBC Member
+56|6674|Cambridge, England
Sorry to say that Dell is right, Your Graphics card is the problem, most likely its fried although it could juat be the cable fell out.
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6785|Cambridge (UK)

K-milk wrote:

According to the Dell website ( http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/s … #wp1054184 ) this mean that there is an error somewhere with my hard drive, CD drive, or DVD drive.
Then that is probably correct.
stef10
+173|6501|Denmark
I hate WOW!
KnowMeByTrailOfDead
Jackass of all Trades
+62|6700|Dayton, Ohio
K-milk, most dells also have integrated Intel video, If yours does, try removing the add on Video card and see if you get a response on the integrated card.  It should enable when you remove the addin card. 

Did you troubleshoot the status lights with the Dell tech.  That would probably change thier story.
Panikfrost
+9|6553
i had the same problem a while back and it was my video card frying because I don't turn off my PC.I had taken the card out and put it in my refrigerator to cool off and that worked until I got a new card
K-milk
+13|6589|NJ

KnowMeByTrailOfDead wrote:

Did you troubleshoot the status lights with the Dell tech.  That would probably change thier story.
I've called them. Twice.  They can't  help me because my WARRANTY expired and In order to get tech help I need to BUY it for $39.  Stupid policy.  The Toshiba I am using now is about 3 years and i still get support for it.  Why can't dell do the same.

Cable is in, so that is not my problem.

If anyone else has any help please say so.

Thanks all who acually are trying to help me and replied.
You will get Karma.
AndrewKF
+3|6387
Did you maybe tried to pull your graphic card and put it back again, it might be just lose ?
Does your monitor starts but not showing anything, or it doesn't work at all ?
How is your monitor connected to power, through PSU or just straight to power line ?
If you know how you could try to clear BIOS settings ( very doubtful it will help but worth a try )
To check if the graphic card might be the problem you could pull it out and check if after starting without it PC gives the same beeping, if yes that's card for sure.
Good luck, and thanks by the way.

Last edited by AndrewKF (2007-03-29 13:23:26)

bennisboy
+829|6665|Poundland
wow you got all the way to here without a monitor, you know this site too well my friend
paranoid101
Ambitious but Rubbish
+540|6759
I will put you on to the IT department.

"Hello IT department, right sir Is it plugged in"
=Karma-Kills=
"Don't post while intoxicated."
+356|6603|England
So youve tried,
Different GFX card?
Different monitor?
(Swapping HDDs)?

yes? What were the results (too lazy to read throughly but as far as i can see all you said was the monitor is fine?)
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6710|Devon, England
Try plugging the monitor into the onboard graphics card. If it works then, then it's your graphics card.
=Karma-Kills=
"Don't post while intoxicated."
+356|6603|England
Im also assuming you know for sure that its a hardware problem?
I.E. Try booting into safe mode (F8 - assuming XP)
Try booting from an OS CD (if this works you know its a software problem).
K-milk
+13|6589|NJ
Monitor is not the problem.  I dont have another card.  I dont have an onboard garapic card.
AndrewKF
+3|6387

AndrewKF wrote:

Did you maybe tried to pull your graphic card and put it back again, it might be just lose ?
If you know how you could try to clear BIOS settings ( very doubtful it will help but worth a try )
To check if the graphic card might be the problem you could pull it out and check if after starting without it PC gives the same beeping, if yes that's card for sure.
Did you tried those ?
Oh and try to remove and put back your ram as well.

Last edited by AndrewKF (2007-03-29 14:18:27)

Mad Ad
+178|6530|England, UK

AndrewKF wrote:

Does your monitor starts but not showing anything, or it doesn't work at all ?
How is your monitor connected to power, through PSU or just straight to power line ?
Good luck, and thanks by the way.
thats what I was going to post - remove your videocard and reboot and see if it beeps out the same code or a different one.  If its different you could try pulling your memory and reboot again but if you get windows startup sounds then its probably not the mem.

if it was just the monitor then there shouldnt be any change from the normal single beep so my guess is that its hardware based.
KnowMeByTrailOfDead
Jackass of all Trades
+62|6700|Dayton, Ohio
It sounds like you do not have a graphics card to swap with.  That is what you are going to need.  The indicators on the  back would tell you if something else was not working.  If you have a buddy with a PCIe graphics card I suggest to ask him to swap it with you for testing.  Oh, and with Dell you only get what you pay for, If you buy 1 year support that is all you get.
  • Index » 
  • Community » 
  • Tech » 
  • Computer Monitor Wont Turn On!! Need Help Fast Please!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard