fadedsteve
GOP Sympathizer
+266|6486|Menlo Park, CA

Bubbalo wrote:

But you have yet to tell me why a larger population matters.
More populations mean more hospitals, more staff, more equipment, more salaries, more everything!!! The bigger the population the bigger the cost!!

If you have a dinner party at a nice restaurant of 8 people as opposed to 25, do you think it will cost more or less???. . . . . The more mouths you feed the more expensive the dinner!! Not too mention the wine/bar tab as well!!! The more people the more expensive, more SERVICE is needed to provide the same adaquate experience to your guest.

Same goes with health care!! The more people you have to treat the more expensive the coverage!! Do the math! Why arent you getting this concept. . . .Universal health care for everyone IS expensive(the more people you have to treat the more expensive the care is going to be). Somebody is going to have to pay, and if its universal, that means the American tax payer is paying.  Which means taxes (which are already high) will go higher, high to a level in which we have never even thought to be realistic. 

Why do you think it costs $8+ a gallon/liter of gasoline in England. . . .  cause the government needs the tax revenue to provide the free services to their population!!! i.e. part of that revenue goes to their health care system!!

Last edited by fadedsteve (2007-03-29 00:45:21)

Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6557

fadedsteve wrote:

More populations mean more hospitals, more staff, more equipment, more salaries, more everything!!! The bigger the population the bigger the cost!!

If you have a dinner party at a nice restaurant of 8 people as opposed to 25, do you think it will cost more or less???
Per person it will cost exactly the same.
fadedsteve
GOP Sympathizer
+266|6486|Menlo Park, CA

Bubbalo wrote:

fadedsteve wrote:

If you have a dinner party at a nice restaurant of 8 people as opposed to 25, do you think it will cost more or less???
No it wont dude. . . .

I have yet to see the crunched numbers, but knowing how things work here in the USA, it will be expensive, REALLY expensive. . . .

I am sorry, but universal health care here in the USA is not feasible. . . .it just wont happen

I am sure some individual smaller states will attempt something, but states like New York or my state of California will screw it up royally. . . .

I think it is up to the states to provide health care to its citizens, if the state population wants to pay for it, then more power to em'! If all Californians want to vote on a drastic increase in their OWN taxes, to enjoy sub par medical coverage, then bust out the ballots baby!!!!

Personally, I wont be wanting a federal government medical plan ANYTIME soon!! I would rather spend the extra money paying a doctor of my choosing and whom I trust/picked out. . .

Last edited by fadedsteve (2007-03-29 01:02:56)

Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6557
So you're telling me that if 5 people go to a restaurant it'll cost them a set amount, but if 6 people go the restaurant will charge them more?

Further, you're telling me that you can't give me the numbers, I'll just have to take your word for it?
.:XDR:.PureFodder
+105|6825
Just because I can't bear to watch this little arguement go on for another whole page;

If your country has 10 times as many people in it healthcare will cost something like ten times as much. But as ten times more people are paying for it, it then the costs per person will remain the same.

Actually it's not true. because medical research, alot of the administration etc. will only need to be done once no matter how big your country is, so the actual costs per person should be LESS for bigger countries.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6557
You honestly think that logic will end this?
fadedsteve
GOP Sympathizer
+266|6486|Menlo Park, CA
Its not going to cost less. . . .

Whatever lets agree to disagree. . . .

The only way I see universal health care happening is if the states adopt their own plans. . . The feds will never get it right, and in all honesty I dont think the American public wants the feds in total control of the health care system either. . . They just want change from what is currently going on. 

Will there be a substantial increase in taxes as a result of a state adopted plan. . . absolutely! Health care is an expensive enterprise, and if we want to continue to enjoy top notch care, we are going to have to pay premium prices.
Marinejuana
local
+415|6581|Seattle
Whoa, be careful with this thing. This is profoundly vague political propaganda.

There is no information contained in the video. He just throws around how liberals somehow can’t comprehend “Good, evil, success, failure, wrong, and right.” He doesn’t attempt to argue a conservative position on any point. He even attempts to claim that the only uniting force liberals have, is towards tearing down good in various good-evil dichotomies. (Maybe he is attempting to make up for the fact that most conservative stances violate the founding personal-freedom ideals that are meant to be conservative). But he says in the same breath that liberals are fundamentally incapable of making any discriminations. So how he makes the argument that liberals consistently support “evil” is probably impossible to explain based on his original thesis.

I’m a liberal and I can make discriminations anywhere I need to. For example, the orator in this vid looks like worm tongue from lord of the rings.

Attempting to reduce people to good and evil is extremely ignorant. People (and entire nations for fucks sake) are more complicated than that. The world was not produced by Disney pictures.

Its funny how they set the video up with a little press conference format so it looks like there was an audience. Actually there are like 10 people in the room.

“They try to make good things like America, Israel, and walmart look bad!”

I really laughed at that one. He just preaches like everyone would agree with that. Watch the video if you want, then go get some fresh air, talk to somebody new, learn something you didn’t know about them, maybe watch some crappy leftist propaganda like “super size me.”

Seriously be careful. If you weren’t able to bullshit detect anything in this then you may ruin your life in a cult or something.

I watched the whole thing because I think substanceless, yet persuasive, propaganda is an interesting, if filthy, art.

Last edited by Marinejuana (2007-03-29 02:33:47)

Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6670|Canberra, AUS
But then you have to consider that increased productivity from better healthcare leads to more wealth, offsetting (and in some cases exceeding) the increase in taxes.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
fadedsteve
GOP Sympathizer
+266|6486|Menlo Park, CA

Bubbalo wrote:

So you're telling me that if 5 people go to a restaurant it'll cost them a set amount, but if 6 people go the restaurant will charge them more?

Further, you're telling me that you can't give me the numbers, I'll just have to take your word for it?
Sure, say you have a party of 6, and you seat them on the floor.  On the other hand, you could have 25 people, chances are you are going to have to pay a private dinning room fee for the bigger party.  Chances are if you have more people, that means MORE PEOPLE are going to have to tend (ie more labor) to the larger party.

Trust me, I work as bartender in a 4 star restaurant.  Having more people in a party COSTS MORE MONEY! There are different menus (=different health plans), which could increase/decrease the meal cost (health pricing plan) depending on food preference (health needs). . . .

Different health needs cost different prices. . . So saying everyone will be paying costs reletive to someone getting "just" a check up, will obviously cost different than someone getting an MRI!!  The cost for a "blanket" plan will need to encompase ALL possible health issues (ie surgery, regular checkups, emergency visits etc.)  ALL THAT WILL COST A SHITLOAD IN COVERAGE.  That is of course you are providing ADAQUATE coverage for the average American, cause after all dont you want the best for your citizens. . . .

If the USA has a national vote to increase taxes for the ability to provide health care to "all citizens" then I am all for it . . . . If the majority says YES we want universal health care, and we are willing to pay for it, then its democracy at work!!!
btw this is getting rediculous lol

Last edited by fadedsteve (2007-03-29 02:38:17)

.:XDR:.PureFodder
+105|6825

fadedsteve wrote:

Bubbalo wrote:

Sure, say you have a party of 6, and you seat them on the floor.  On the other hand, you could have 25 people, chances are you are going to have to pay a private dinning room fee for the bigger party.  Chances are if you have more people, that means MORE PEOPLE are going to have to tend (ie more labor) to the larger party.

Trust me, I work as bartender in a 4 star restaurant.  Having more people in a party COSTS MORE MONEY! There are different menus (=different health plans), which could increase/decrease the meal cost (health pricing plan) depending on food preference (health needs). . . .

Different health needs cost different prices. . . So saying everyone will be paying costs reletive to someone getting "just" a check up, will obviously cost different than someone getting an MRI!!  The cost for a "blanket" plan will need to encompase ALL possible health issues (ie surgery, regular checkups, emergency visits etc.)  ALL THAT WILL COST A SHITLOAD IN COVERAGE.  That is of course you are providing ADAQUATE coverage for the average American, cause after all dont you want the best for your citizens. . . .

Ok, let every state run it's healthcare separately. Now even the largest states have approximately the same number of people as countries like the UK, France, Germany etc. problem/logic solved.

Oh, btw, personally I don't see the US being able to afford a free national health service unless the number of subscription drugs is drastically reduced. I read some time ago that on average each American is on 3 prescription drugs at any one time either in Scientific American or New Scientist.
fadedsteve
GOP Sympathizer
+266|6486|Menlo Park, CA

.:XDR:.PureFodder wrote:

fadedsteve wrote:

Bubbalo wrote:

Ok, let every state run it's healthcare separately. Now even the largest states have approximately the same number of people as countries like the UK, France, Germany etc. problem/logic solved.

Oh, btw, personally I don't see the US being able to afford a free national health service unless the number of subscription drugs is drastically reduced. I read some time ago that on average each American is on 3 prescription drugs at any one time either in Scientific American or New Scientist.
Like I have been saying, its TOO EXPENSIVE!! We couldnt sustain it!!

No one has even mentioned the fact that the baby boomers are now going to collect social security at a rate we havent seen before which is going to drain the treasury. . . Now some liberal wants to add on national health coverage too!! We will go bankrupt. . .pure and simple!! It (socialized medicine in the USA) AINT gonna happen. . . .
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6670|Canberra, AUS

fadedsteve wrote:

.:XDR:.PureFodder wrote:

fadedsteve wrote:

Like I have been saying, its TOO EXPENSIVE!! We couldnt sustain it!!

No one has even mentioned the fact that the baby boomers are now going to collect social security at a rate we havent seen before which is going to drain the treasury. . . Now some liberal wants to add on national health coverage too!! We will go bankrupt. . .pure and simple!! It (socialized medicine in the USA) AINT gonna happen. . . .
Well... it might be too expensive to you (25% budget deficit... gg bush), but if you can do it, it is by far the best option.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6557

fadedsteve wrote:

Sure, say you have a party of 6, and you seat them on the floor.  On the other hand, you could have 25 people, chances are you are going to have to pay a private dinning room fee for the bigger party.
But that's providing a different service.  The cost, per person, for 6 or 25 people is exactly the same for the same service.

fadedsteve wrote:

Chances are if you have more people, that means MORE PEOPLE are going to have to tend (ie more labor) to the larger party.  Trust me, I work as bartender in a 4 star restaurant.  Having more people in a party COSTS MORE MONEY! There are different menus (=different health plans), which could increase/decrease the meal cost (health pricing plan) depending on food preference (health needs). . . .
Oh, wow, I bow to your superior knowledge.  Clearly a bartender would know public health far better than anyone else .

That statement demonstrates that you have no concept of the maths involved.  For a given item there will be a probability that someone will choose it.  Certainly, if there's are three groups of people the cost per head might vary slightly depending on which items are chosen, but overall, in the long term, the cost per head will approach a given number that represents the average cost per head.  Obviously your restaurant dinner analogy doesn't allow for this because it's a one off, but public health is a long run thing.  Further, the labour will increase but the labour per person will be the same or less.

Finally, you're too mired in the analogy.  Just because you're a bartender and you compare the system to buying food doesn't mean the analogy works far enough that your bartending expertise trumps all.

fadedsteve wrote:

Yes, sure, but these are all issues that other countries who do provide universal health care have to deal with.

fadedsteve wrote:

What, your obstinance?
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6557

fadedsteve wrote:

Except that you'll have to provide those pensioners with enough money to cover health care unless you provide it for them.  If you provide it for them instead it'll likely be cheaper for a number of reasons.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6647|USA

Bubbalo wrote:

lowing wrote:

War is hell, civilians die in it,
You know, you're right, and it really wasn't the Nazi's fault that all those Jews died in WWII .

Declaring that war is hell does not justify throwing grenades into houses on the off chance that there are enemies inside.

fadedsteve wrote:

The training you recieve in the USA military is the best in the world
Uh-huh, sure...................that underarm technique they use is just superb..............
nice try but genicide is not thew same thing as urban combat. Wait I take it back it ain't even really a nice try.
R Dub
+2|6549

fadedsteve wrote:

Trust me, I work as bartender in a 4 star restaurant.
This made me laugh a little (okay, alot) inside. All this conservative (and severely flawed) rhetoric coming from a bartender, ha! And you obviously haven't taken a math class in quite a long time, and don't understand the social ramifications of universal healthcare (i.e. healthy people work more, are less of "drain" on the economy; something people like you really hate).

And you have yet to form a concise, well-laid argument that contains generally accepted principles. Once again, insipient diarrhea of the mouth.

And as far as "reporting" me goes...that was funny.

You basically told me that you have nothing intelligent to add and have no rebuttal (at least one that makes sense) so you are trying to get me banned, lol!

I like the 6 people go to a restaurant to eat and it costs more per person than 5, that is some of the most amazing logic I have ever seen, and then he qualifies it with, "trust me, I'm a bartender." ROFL!
Hunter/Jumper
+117|6350

Bubbalo wrote:

fadedsteve wrote:

is that why they offer group rates than? Silly if only they could see the light.

If I have a hospital. I and I have to buy an X Ray machine.

and my town has two people in it they split the cost a 10k each.
If my town has 20 people in it they each pay 1k...get it ?

Many small dairy farms have folded because a tractor, a manure tank, a milker, Etc., cost the same if you have 20 cows or 300. The 300 cow farm can absorb the cost of a liquid manure storage tank the government now requires you to use better than the guy who has 20 cows. Now almost all are farms are corporation run....They thought hey would help...but they fucked the little guy in the end.

And now for the ultimate insult to injury US senateors Jeffords ( D.) and Leahy ( D.) who you may know fron the US news lately. Have helped pass much legislation in Vermont USA to prevent these newly busted and broke farmers from selling their land. They want to keep that pretty, quint family farm in the countryside look about the area.

They pretend to be oblivious to the fact that they were the ones who caused it to fail.

Last edited by Hunter/Jumper (2007-03-29 10:08:34)

JimmyBotswana
+82|6581|Montreal
In Canada the cost per taxpayer for healthcare is 1400 per year. Conservatively we could estimate costs in the US to be 2000 per year, may be even less. As far as I know 2000 per year is much less than what it costs to be fully insured by private health insurance in the states. So citizens would actually have less to pay each year and be fully covered. And the argument of small European nations doesn't hold water. France has 55 million people, Germany over 60 million, Italy too. England has over 50 million. These are not small countries. And what's more University is also free, even for international students. If these Europeans can do it, why can't the US, the richest, most powerful and most advanced country in the world do it? To say it will never happen in the US is probably correct, due to the US being the most business run country in the world and business tending to be anti universal healthcare (no profits to be made from it) but that doesn't mean it isn't feasible. The US is the one country in the world most able to do it. Except that now it is on the verge of bankruptcy due to the disastrous policies and spending of this administration.
PureFodder
+225|6281

Hunter/Jumper wrote:

Bubbalo wrote:

fadedsteve wrote:

is that why they offer group rates than? Silly if only they could see the light.

If my country had 20 cities and each city has a hospital, the cost of the hospitals PER PERSON is the cost of 20 hospitals divided by number of people in my country. If your country has 40 cities and each city has one hospital, then you have twice as many hospitals to pay for and twice as many people paying for them then you end up with EXACTLY THE SAME COST PER PERSON.

This debate was brought to you by the letter 'H'.
UON
Junglist Massive
+223|6649

JimmyBotswana wrote:

And what's more University is also free, even for international students.
Where?
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6557

lowing wrote:

Bubbalo wrote:

lowing wrote:

War is hell, civilians die in it,
You know, you're right, and it really wasn't the Nazi's fault that all those Jews died in WWII .

Declaring that war is hell does not justify throwing grenades into houses on the off chance that there are enemies inside.

fadedsteve wrote:

The training you recieve in the USA military is the best in the world
Uh-huh, sure...................that underarm technique they use is just superb..............
nice try but genicide is not thew same thing as urban combat. Wait I take it back it ain't even really a nice try.
Which has to do with what, exactly?
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6557

Hunter/Jumper wrote:

Yes, and it works that way with small groups.  But eventually you get to a point where you need 2 x-ray machines to help everyone, meaning that the price bottoms out.  Of course, other factors come in (e.g. if you need lots of x-ray machines you can use a production line, making each one cheaper, etc.), but even so public health approachees a set figure, rather than getting consistently lower.  This isn't to say that it wouldn't be cheaper for America, but I suspect if I make the discussion too complex steve's head will explode.
fadedsteve
GOP Sympathizer
+266|6486|Menlo Park, CA
Hey Bubbalo since you are all for universal health care. . . .whats your stance on universal car insurance?

Do you think the government should pick up that tab too???

Last edited by fadedsteve (2007-03-29 16:05:14)

KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6628|949

fadedsteve wrote:

Hey Bubbalo since you are all for universal health care. . . .whats your stance on universal car insurance?

Do you think the government should pick up that tab too???
Except that driving is a privilege.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard