Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6570|132 and Bush

It looks like Iran is airing footage of the hostages on national television now.
http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,, … 80,00.html
Footage of the British sailors and marines being held in Iran has been aired by Iranian TV.

It shows the group being arrested, eating food in captivity and carries an interview with Faye Turney.
Turney is seen looking worried, wearing Iranian clothes and smoking.
She is due to be released shortly, the Iranian government said, and will carry a letter to her parents saying the group were "apparently" in Iranian territory.

https://i12.tinypic.com/34dnamr.jpg  https://i7.tinypic.com/3y3msqs.jpg       
https://i3.tinypic.com/2hx2cue.jpg

At a news conference the MoD said the British boarding vessel was 1.7 nautical miles inside Iraqi territory when it was seized - and revealed the exact co-ordinates of the event to back up its claim.

Vice Admiral Charles Style said the MoD "unambiguously contested" Iran's claims that the boarding party had strayed into Iranian waters.

He said their capture was "unjustified and wrong," and said they were "ambushed."
https://i14.tinypic.com/4hlil8x.jpg https://i10.tinypic.com/2med2yr.jpg
The Ministry of Defence has released detailed evidence supporting
the claim that 15 British marines and sailors were in Iraqi territory when
they were seized by Iran.

https://i12.tinypic.com/2zdwtmt.jpg
The MoD released this photograph of a helicopter hovering above
the scene - with the GPS co-ordinates visible.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6337|Columbus, Ohio
So when does the SAS go in?
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6551|SE London

usmarine2007 wrote:

Hopefully never.

It went ok last time the SAS tangled with the Iranians in the Iranian embassy siege though......
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6415|The Land of Scott Walker
Seems Iran needs to start backpeddling and apologizing.  I'm not going to hold my breath for it, though.
nlsme
+48|6385|new york
I have that exact same gps.
splixx
ChupaCABRA
+53|6709|Omaha, Nebraska
Should have stayed far away from those waters. They still need to release them.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6551|SE London

splixx wrote:

Why? Even if they were in Iranian waters - which they blatantly weren't - the Iranians still have no right to arrest them. Warships have some degree of sovreignty, as such all the Iranians would have been legally permitted to do is request that they leave - if that request was denied they would be within their rights to arrest them.
herrr_smity
+156|6597|space command ur anus
why didn't the HMS cornwall open fire, that's what I'm wondering about
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6551|SE London

herrr_smity wrote:

why didn't the HMS cornwall open fire, that's what I'm wondering about
Look at the map. It was a long way away. By the time they were aware of the incident the abductees and their captors were in Iranian waters.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6260|Éire
The game of chess continues ...I still don't think Iran have the balls to play hardball all the way through to the inevitable bitter end. The soldiers looked healthy and the letter the woman officer 'wrote' had a few lines in it that sound like compromises, she said in it 'we APPARENTLY went into Iranian' waters', that's a soft use of words considering it was written under coercion. Iran have also confirmed they will release the woman prisoner. I think it's the beginning of a compromise, Iran just don't want to lose face by backing down completely in one fell swoop. Britain are acting responsibly and are turning up the pressure in a measured and justifiable way, nobody wants to unlock the gun cupboard for this one!
Fen321
+54|6467|Singularity

Bertster7 wrote:

splixx wrote:

Why? Even if they were in Iranian waters - which they blatantly weren't - the Iranians still have no right to arrest them. Warships have some degree of sovreignty, as such all the Iranians would have been legally permitted to do is request that they leave - if that request was denied they would be within their rights to arrest them.
Not all warships are considered floating pieces of territory so that statement isn't all that accurate -- and guess who gets to decide that? Each STATE. I'm not 100% sure if the British abide by floating piece of territory -- they may , but that in no ways allows for them to deny boarding and if they are perceived to be in Iranian waters with weapons then....uhh? Hello detainment.

I love playing devil advocate and simply point out that Iran has disputed for some time the area which is considered Iraqi international waters so if they -- assuming this is the case -- don't agree with the given arrangement obviously there will be differences in delineation in terms of what they perceive to be international waters / Iraqi territorial waters / Iranian territorial waters.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6613
april right around the corner folks
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6551|SE London

Fen321 wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

splixx wrote:

Not all warships are considered floating pieces of territory so that statement isn't all that accurate -- and guess who gets to decide that? Each STATE. I'm not 100% sure if the British abide by floating piece of territory -- they may , but that in no ways allows for them to deny boarding and if they are perceived to be in Iranian waters with weapons then....uhh? Hello detainment.

I love playing devil advocate and simply point out that Iran has disputed for some time the area which is considered Iraqi international waters so if they -- assuming this is the case -- don't agree with the given arrangement obviously there will be differences in delineation in terms of what they perceive to be international waters / Iraqi territorial waters / Iranian territorial waters.
It's perfectly accurate. It is relevant too, as it is part of International Law - much like a lot of other military maritime law.
Eboreus
Member of Foamy's Card Cult
+46|6617
Funny thing is: Iran admitted, that they were not inside their territory some days ago and today they start claiming that they were inside their territory. IMO they just try to test how far they can go. Ahmadinejad and his power-hungry war-mongers are a bunch of attention whores (sorry..). It just reminds me too much of the German fishing guy they caught and put into a prison for 12 months, claiming he was a German spy.
I hope they release all of them soon!
JahManRed
wank
+646|6598|IRELAND

nlsme wrote:

Me2
Hunter/Jumper
+117|6324
if you still have both.... its time to prove it me thinks
Hunter/Jumper
+117|6324

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

what does this refer to ?
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6337|Columbus, Ohio

Hunter/Jumper wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

Rodman
Commie Killer
+192|6357

Hunter/Jumper wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

Most offensive are started in the spring time, he was making a sarcastic remark(I think).
CoronadoSEAL
pics or it didn't happen
+207|6488|USA

Bertster7 wrote:

usmarine2007 wrote:

Hopefully never.

It went ok last time the SAS tangled with the Iranians in the Iranian embassy siege though......
+1 SAS
steelie34
pub hero!
+603|6351|the land of bourbon
i'm not quite sure i understand Iran's motivation behind this... what do they hope to gain from arresting the sailors?  are they going to try some sort of hostage swap, or are they posturing to the West that they aren't fearful?  i'm afraid i don't get it.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/36e1d9e36ae924048a933db90fb05bb247fe315e.png
jonsimon
+224|6465

steelie34 wrote:

i'm not quite sure i understand Iran's motivation behind this... what do they hope to gain from arresting the sailors?  are they going to try some sort of hostage swap, or are they posturing to the West that they aren't fearful?  i'm afraid i don't get it.
The brits boarded an Iranian boat, so they sent their coast gaurd or whatnot to arrest the brits. They were defending their trade and borders. They may have overstepped their borders, but rules are often bent when it comes to nations an militaries. Whether or not Iran is justified in holding the brits really isnt an issue considering the nations they are dealing with often aren't justified in many of their actions. The focus now should be what next.
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6735|Cambridge (UK)

Kmarion wrote:

It looks like Iran is airing footage of the hostages on national television now.
And we're now airing them on our TV. Hypocrisy FTW!

Last edited by Scorpion0x17 (2007-03-28 13:25:34)

Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6735|Cambridge (UK)

usmarine2007 wrote:

As I posted in t'other thread on this subject :

Day 1: several big aircraft go in and out of a local airstrip where they refit the insides of Hercules'.
Day 2: several big aircraft, one of which was definitely a Hercules, go in and out of a local airstrip where they refit the insides of Hercules'.
Day 3: 15 sailors and marines are arrested by Iran.

Coincidence?

(and to which ever Mod it was that deleted that post in the other thread - 1) please do not delete this one. 2) please tell me why you deleted it from the other thread)

Last edited by Scorpion0x17 (2007-03-28 16:28:08)

Reaper Hilarus
+0|6318

nlsme wrote:

No way?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard