DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6687|Disaster Free Zone

Smithereener wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

PS: Why the fuck are American's to defensive about there cars. Ok, you make 2 or 3 decent sports cars, that doesn't make the industry good nor does it make any other car good. Most of your cars are big cheap, fuel guzzling excuses for a penis extension. With no engineering thought put in and then massively protected by government taxes, tariffs and subsidies. They just couldn't compete otherwise, The cars are crap, the reliability is low and the fuel consumption is worse. (yes its a generalisation, but its mostly true).
Probably because the birth of mass production of vehicles (or mass production in general) originated here in the States. I'd agree that most of the cars being built are huge, gas guzzling, and (in my opinion) the smaller cars are not that great looking. I'd assume that the government is intervening and putting a lot of taxes, tarrifs, and subsidies other cars in order to protect American car manufacturers. I mean, if BMWs/Mercedes/etc. are actually as cheap as you say they are, wouldn't that just drive the American manufacturers into the ground? So you're probably right that they wouldn't be able to compete. Granted, there will always be the loyal customers, but that simply wouldn't be sufficient to offset the cheap "luxury" cars. With that said, German cars are pretty damn nice. Then again, I think most every car is damn nice.
Thats my point. American cars can not compete in a "fair" market because they produce inferior products for no less money. Companies such as KIA, Hyundai etc may also produce inferior cars but they do it so cheaply they can compete against much better cars.
The evidence is that as there a very few American cars in other countries because they lack the government protection they get in the domestic market, yet there are plenty of European/German and Japanese cars in America because they are better quality and people know this.
reaper_654
confused??
+36|6302|ohio,USA

Mongoose wrote:

Ford, without them we would'nt have mass produced cars. Or mabye Mercedes Benz for inventing them. not sure, but i drive a Ford so my vote goes to Ford.
yah i like ford to and i dont drive it my dad does
blisteringsilence
I'd rather hunt with Cheney than ride with Kennedy
+83|6708|Little Rock, Arkansas

DrunkFace wrote:

Thats my point. American cars can not compete in a "fair" market because they produce inferior products for no less money. Companies such as KIA, Hyundai etc may also produce inferior cars but they do it so cheaply they can compete against much better cars.
The evidence is that as there a very few American cars in other countries because they lack the government protection they get in the domestic market, yet there are plenty of European/German and Japanese cars in America because they are better quality and people know this.
The ford focus has been a top 10 seller in the UK and Europe since it was introduced in 1998. Consistently. It was a top 5 for the first 6 years. Even today, it's the 5th most popular selling car in the UK.

Onto other american cars in foreign markets: The australians love everything vauxhall.... which is essentially an american company. The vaunted Monaro is just a rebadged Pontiac GTO. The swedes love their volvos (also american). The japanese drive the hell out of their mazda's (also american).

And then there's south america. Rio is FULL of american cars. Sure, there are lots of non american imports, but let's be real. There are millions of american cars in use around the world.

And I want to differentiate between a European car and a German car. These are two different beasts. While I would happily drive a BMW, you'd have to hold a gun to my head to get be behind the wheel of a Renault or Citroen. You talk about shoddy worksmanship? Who are you kidding? Europe is the home of such beauties as Jag, Alfa, and Volkswagen.

There is a hippie icon in the US named John Muir. He is know for several books, but his most famous is titled How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive: A Manual of Step-by-Step Procedures for the Complete Idiot. It's a book that taught hippies throughout the world how to fix their broken down beetles.

And as a man who had to drive a new beetle as a company car, I can tell you with certainty that I would never get behind the wheel of that piece of shit as a private owner. That damn car. I had it for 23K miles, and it had to go to the dealership 5 times. For shit that broke. On its own. Don't lecture me about the quality of German cars. The days of the 1981 Mercedes 300D getting 300K miles are long over my friend. LONG over.

You want something that will last forever? Get a Ford truck. Those bastards won't die. My buddy has one, just rolled over 300K miles, and all he's had to replace, other than tires and brakes, is his rear window. That got shot out. He hasn't even had to replace the plugs. Just pulls them out, cleans them, regaps them, and puts them back in.

That's worksmanship.
psH
Banned
+217|6390|Sydney
TVR...sick lookin cars.
KuSTaV
noice
+947|6518|Gold Coast
Mercedes, BMW or anything with safety and/or fuel saving thingos. Some cars are good because theyre cheap, but they can be really dodgy as. Especially Hyundai Getz.
noice                                                                                                        https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/awsmsanta.png
aardfrith
Δ > x > ¥
+145|6799

blisteringsilence wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

The ford focus has been a top 10 seller in the UK and Europe since it was introduced in 1998. Consistently. It was a top 5 for the first 6 years. Even today, it's the 5th most popular selling car in the UK.

Onto other american cars in foreign markets: The australians love everything vauxhall.... which is essentially an american company. The vaunted Monaro is just a rebadged Pontiac GTO. The swedes love their volvos (also american). The japanese drive the hell out of their mazda's (also american).

And then there's south america. Rio is FULL of american cars. Sure, there are lots of non american imports, but let's be real. There are millions of american cars in use around the world.

And I want to differentiate between a European car and a German car. These are two different beasts. While I would happily drive a BMW, you'd have to hold a gun to my head to get be behind the wheel of a Renault or Citroen. You talk about shoddy worksmanship? Who are you kidding? Europe is the home of such beauties as Jag, Alfa, and Volkswagen.

There is a hippie icon in the US named John Muir. He is know for several books, but his most famous is titled How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive: A Manual of Step-by-Step Procedures for the Complete Idiot. It's a book that taught hippies throughout the world how to fix their broken down beetles.

And as a man who had to drive a new beetle as a company car, I can tell you with certainty that I would never get behind the wheel of that piece of shit as a private owner. That damn car. I had it for 23K miles, and it had to go to the dealership 5 times. For shit that broke. On its own. Don't lecture me about the quality of German cars. The days of the 1981 Mercedes 300D getting 300K miles are long over my friend. LONG over.

You want something that will last forever? Get a Ford truck. Those bastards won't die. My buddy has one, just rolled over 300K miles, and all he's had to replace, other than tires and brakes, is his rear window. That got shot out. He hasn't even had to replace the plugs. Just pulls them out, cleans them, regaps them, and puts them back in.

That's worksmanship.
The Ford Focus that sells in the UK and across Europe is different to the one that is for sale in the US.  The ride, the handling, the responsiveness, everything's tightened up.  It feels more lively whereas the Focus that's available in the US is just a whale.  It lurches, there's no feeling, it's just different.

You mention Volvo and Vauxhall as being owned by US companies.  This may well be true but they aren't made in the US (thank God!) and they aren't made to US (lack of) standards.  Who owns the company has no relation to how the cars are made.  One notable example I can cite is the Volvo 480.  At the time, Volvo (car division) was owned by Sweden and almost all their cars were made in Sweden, to Swedish standards.  Along came the 480, which was built by Nederlanders.  It didn't conform to Volvo standards of engineering - every car had electrical problems and it's extremely rare to see one, even just 10 years after manufacture.  Even Trabants lived for a decade.

By the way, would you say MACK trucks are American?  They are owned by Volvo (truck division) which is still Swedish.
Intended-Mayhem
+1|6434|Perth, Australia

blisteringsilence wrote:

Onto other American cars in foreign markets: The australians love everything vauxhall.... which is essentially an american company. The vaunted Monaro is just a rebadged Pontiac GTO. The swedes love their volvos (also american). The japanese drive the hell out of their mazda's (also american).
vauxhall isn't American nor do "us" Australians love them, infact im pritty sure we dont even get them over here... we generally love Holdens or Australia Ford build cars (majority of us anyways)... so speak for ur self next time please. another thing... reverse ur statement on Holden Monaro clown!

Wiki wrote:

Vauxhall Motors is a UK car company. It is a subsidiary of General Motors. Most current Vauxhall models are right-hand drive derivatives of GM's Opel brand with several performance vehicles coming from Holden/Holden Special Vehicles in Australia.
Just coz General Motors have their finger in the pie, dosnt make it American.

now onto my fav car.... which is Holden..... not so much the commodore era more earlier FX-FB models....

and i own and 1997 VS Holden commodore ute that has done over 400 000kms, no rebuild only thing its had is a rebuild trans. still runs like a dream and still kicks out nice when it has to.

Last edited by Intended-Mayhem (2007-03-25 02:34:07)

Raphi
Banned
+354|6265|Basel, Switzerland
Bmw
sn00ze
+31|6555|Mjölby, Sweden

klassekock wrote:

Oooookeeeyyy! I say Volvo!

Great family cars. Reliable and sturdy. And cheap to own and repair. I own a Volvo 940 S2.3 from 1995. Ugly as hell but a real workhorse. 267000 kilometres and it just keeps rolling. And huge loading capabilities too.
I´m with you dude! I have a Volvo 745 GL 1991 that has run  470000km and still purring like a cat when i turn the key. Like you said it´s a real workhorse that never let´s me down.
Ok, it´s no race car, 0-100km/h (0-60mp/h) in about a week but it gets me to were I want to go everytime.

sn00ze out
Drunk_Musketeer
To be honest I don't care anyway..
+57|6744|Great Wall
I like Vauxhall (Opel).. the best cars imho .. I never had anything else than Opel.. Next year I'm gonna buy Vauxhall Astra VXR (OPC).. but I like Ford Focus ST too.. so maybe time for a change.. we will see

ASTRA VXR (2.0 16V Turbo, 240bhp, 0-60mph 6 sec.)
https://members.lycos.co.uk/mordoklej/temp/astra_vxr.jpg

FOCUS ST (2.5 20V Turbo, 224bhp, 0-60mph 6.5 sec.)
https://members.lycos.co.uk/mordoklej/temp/focus_st.jpg

Last edited by Drunk_Musketeer (2007-03-25 03:07:42)

DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6687|Disaster Free Zone

blisteringsilence wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

I'll give you this one, Its a well built relatively cheap reliable small car.
Onto other american cars in foreign markets: The australians love everything vauxhall.... which is essentially an american company.
Australia makes its own cars under the badge of Holden and exports them to Europe as Vauxhall and Chevrolet to the US.
The vaunted Monaro is just a rebadged Pontiac GTO.
Its actually a Holden Monaro, which is a coupe version of the Holden commadore which is exported to Europe under the badge Vauxhall and is rebadged the Pontiac GTO for the US. Yes the company is owned by GM, but its a self governing subsidiary and the cars are not made or designed in the US.
The swedes love their volvos (also american).
Owned by Ford but again, a self governing subsidiary which has all its design operations in Sweden, and a lot of its production operations in Europe (and none in America).
The japanese drive the hell out of their mazda's (also american).
Mazda is only 33.4% owned by Ford but still runs most of its operations outside of America.
I'll take your word for it (even tho you've been wrong on everything else) as I know nothing about the Brazilian car market (except they use ethanol a lot).
VW is German and owns both Audi and Bugatti (which made the Veyron - the worlds best super car). It makes one of the best small cars in the golf and many of its other cars are based off Audi. Its 1 bad car - the 'new' Beetle was a gimic car, over priced, under designed and marketed at idiots.
Jaguar and Alpa have been know to lack quality, but they are improving. EDIT: Forgot to mention that Jaguar is also owned by Ford.
I wont mention the French cars... Because there well... French.
A car based on a designed in 1938, and its last major updated in 1967, yet was still being produced in 2003 just shouts out "SHIT" doesn't it?
And as a man who had to drive a new beetle as a company car, I can tell you with certainty that I would never get behind the wheel of that piece of shit as a private owner. That damn car. I had it for 23K miles, and it had to go to the dealership 5 times. For shit that broke.
No one in there right mind would buy a 'new' beetle as explained above.
Don't lecture me about the quality of German cars. The days of the 1981 Mercedes 300D getting 300K miles are long over my friend. LONG over.
Only time will tell, but nothing I've seen or heard leads me to believe your statement is anything but a frustrated US pride arrogant opinion.
Or if you want something that lasts forever, doesn't cost the earth in petrol, doesn't pollute as much, handles alot better and has a much smoother ride, Get a Toyota Hilux or Land Cruiser.

Last edited by DrunkFace (2007-03-25 03:21:58)

blisteringsilence
I'd rather hunt with Cheney than ride with Kennedy
+83|6708|Little Rock, Arkansas

DrunkFace wrote:

blisteringsilence wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

I'll give you this one, Its a well built relatively cheap reliable small car.
Onto other american cars in foreign markets: The australians love everything vauxhall.... which is essentially an american company.
Australia makes its own cars under the badge of Holden and exports them to Europe as Vauxhall and Chevrolet to the US.
The vaunted Monaro is just a rebadged Pontiac GTO.
Its actually a Holden Monaro, which is a coupe version of the Holden commadore which is exported to Europe under the badge Vauxhall and is rebadged the Pontiac GTO for the US. Yes the company is owned by GM, but its a self governing subsidiary and the cars are not made or designed in the US.
The swedes love their volvos (also american).
Owned by Ford but again, a self governing subsidiary which has all its design operations in Sweden, and a lot of its production operations in Europe (and none in America).
The japanese drive the hell out of their mazda's (also american).
Mazda is only 33.4% owned by Ford but still runs most of its operations outside of America.
I'll take your word for it (even tho you've been wrong on everything else) as I know nothing about the Brazilian car market (except they use ethanol a lot).
VW is German and owns both Audi and Bugatti (which made the Veyron - the worlds best super car). It makes one of the best small cars in the golf and many of its other cars are based off Audi. Its 1 bad car - the 'new' Beetle was a gimic car, over priced, under designed and marketed at idiots.
Jaguar and Alpa have been know to lack quality, but they are improving. EDIT: Forgot to mention that Jaguar is also owned by Ford.
I wont mention the French cars... Because there well... French.
A car based on a designed in 1938, and its last major updated in 1967, yet was still being produced in 2003 just shouts out "SHIT" doesn't it?
And as a man who had to drive a new beetle as a company car, I can tell you with certainty that I would never get behind the wheel of that piece of shit as a private owner. That damn car. I had it for 23K miles, and it had to go to the dealership 5 times. For shit that broke.
No one in there right mind would buy a 'new' beetle as explained above.
Don't lecture me about the quality of German cars. The days of the 1981 Mercedes 300D getting 300K miles are long over my friend. LONG over.
Only time will tell, but nothing I've seen or heard leads me to believe your statement is anything but a frustrated US pride arrogant opinion.
Or if you want something that lasts forever, doesn't cost the earth in petrol, doesn't pollute as much, handles alot better and has a much smoother ride, Get a Toyota Hilux or Land Cruiser.
http://www.holden.com.au/www-holden/act … goryId=all

Austraila designs their own cars. The frames, engines, and drivetrains come from the states. Hence, the Monaro is an AMERICAN car. It's not a pride thing. It's just fact. I'd also argue that the Chrysler 300 is a German car. And Holden, while having some limited self governance (no more than Chevy or GMC), is an American company.

Volvo is also not a "self-governing" subsidary any more than Lincoln or Mercury is. They are managed by the Premier Automotive group, who's board of directors are appointed by (and overlap with) Ford's.

The 33.4% of Mazda that Ford owns is the controlling interest. In other words, they own more than any other single entitiy. Mazda's that are sold in the US are designed and built here. Of the 20 factories owned by Mazda, 2 are in Japan. The others are co-located with Ford plants around the rest of the world.

Now, I'm well aware of the fact that Jag is owned by Ford. And now I blame Ford for the fact that you can't keep a Jag on the road. And Alfa had made absolutely no progress whatsoever on the reliability front. Only gamblers drive alfas.

Onto the end of the days of the ultra reliable german car. I want you to open your local newspaper, and tell me how many '70's vintage mercs and bmws are there. Compare that to '80's vintage. To the '90's vintage. See a pattern? I'm not saying that the germans are building bad cars. I'm saying that they are trading on a name of reliability that their newer product's just don't have. It's got nothing to do with pride. You don't see me trashing Toyota or Honda, do you? Their cars ACTUALLY ARE as reliable as they used to be. Mercedes is not.

Now, onto your "comparison." You want me to give up an F-150 to buy a Toyota Hilux or Land Cruiser.

First off, the Hilux isn't available in the US. We call it the Tundra. And it's a good compact pickup. A great one even. Better than the ranger, better than the sonoma. But it's not a real truck. You can't haul with it, and you can't tow with it. In the most maxed out version available, you can have a useful bed load of 1100 pounds (figuring 400 pounds in the passenger compartment) and can tow a trailer weighing 6500 pounds. Not to mention, it fails the first test of a pickup truck bed. You can't lay a sheet of 4'x8' plywood in the bed. It gets 18/21 MPG.

Next the Land Cruiser. To start with, the Land Cruiser starts in price at $56,000. You can't make a Ford (or GMC) truck that expensive. It's not possible, not from the dealership. Next, it's an SUV who's total useful load is 1500 lbs. This from a vehicle that weighs 5400 lbs before you put gas in it. Finally, it gets a whopping 13/17 mpg worth of mileage. How does this not "cost the earth in petrol" again? And then you get into the handling. Sure, I bet it does drive nicer on a highway. It fucking better for $56K. It should have a little slot that gives me a blowjob too. Somehow, I think it might have some problems on dirt roads, and in poor conditions. I mean, the bastard weighs more than a two and a half tons.

The Ford F-350, on the other hand, can hold a Land Cruiser in the bed. That's its useable weight. It can tow two of them on a trailer, plus a Tundra. That's a truck. And, if you get a diesel, you'll still get 20 miles to the gallon in the city. Stick the 2007 compliant diesel in it, and your emissions are less than a Land Cruiser and a Tundra combined.

We Americans may not know how to build a supercar. We may not be able to build a sports sedan. But we wrote every chapter in the book of truck.

Last edited by blisteringsilence (2007-03-25 11:53:22)

snuten_i_sjoholmen
+9|6480|Svea Rike
https://www.lolcars.com/images/smallest-car.jpg
Slayer
---hates you
+1,137|6763|Hell, p.o box 666

ok, right, this one is solved then! It´s VOLVO!
Jasp
Bongabilla
+171|6668|The Outer Circle

I_SUCK_999 wrote:

well actually - SUBARU is the best CAR COMPANY

their ENTIRE range is GOOD. Not a single DUD in production anywhere they are made and sold.

affordable too.
er....

the JUSTY ?

lols

https://www.subaruklub.hu/subaru_pictures/subaru_justy_09.jpg
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/11882/holteendersig2.jpghttps://forums.bf2s.com/img/avatars/11508.gif
alien-DSW-Gen
Hates snipers and says the "F" word a lot
+72|6680|Houston, Texas
I've driven both BMW and Mercedes. Mercedes has taken on more of its american chrysler mentality in the last decade. Their vehicles quality has been driven down a lot, in a lot of areas.

I wish I had never sold my BMW, and I can't get rid of this Benz fast enough.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard