Ryan
+1,230|6844|Alberta, Canada

Kind of a scary thought. Here's a little flash film about it: http://hubblesite.org/explore_astronomy … lision.php

You can search up more if you like, but it's kind of scary to think that our stellar neighbour is hurtling at us, ready to crash. We won't be around to encounter it, but it's scary to think of.
Bull3t
stephen brule
+83|6303
Will? Not even the best of scientists know this. Why? Because predicting something like this is crazy.

Just because they something will happen dosen't mean it will.

But if it does. We will more then likely not be around for it.
Ryan

They know that the Andromeda Galaxy is heading towards us at about 100x the speed of a bullet.
What else do you think will happen?
Naughty_Om
Im Ron Burgundy?
+355|6634|USA

ryan_14 wrote:

They know that the Andromeda Galaxy is heading towards us at about 100x the speed of a bullet.
100x the speed of a bullet is piss compared to the speed of most objects traveling in space.
Brasso
+1,549|6631

Naughty_Om wrote:

ryan_14 wrote:

100x the speed of a bullet is piss compared to the speed of most objects traveling in space.
win.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
xBlackPantherx
Grow up, or die
+142|6344|California
Nice. Our posterity is gonna hate it though.
Ryan

Naughty_Om wrote:

ryan_14 wrote:

So you're saying a massive object, like that galaxy, which is probably several light years across, is moving slowly? Maybe so, but what is attracting it to our galaxy? Obviously a very small attraction, thus it moves slower.
CaptainMike
It's just a flesh wound
+45|6646|Canada
Hmm, very interesting. It looks like it will look quite beautiful when it will happen, though I'm not sure I want to be around when it does.
Brasso
+1,549|6631

CaptainMike wrote:

Hmm, very interesting. It looks like it will look quite beautiful when it will happen, though I'm not sure I want to be around when it does.
I don't think you should care, I doubt you'll feel it anyway.  Death isn't something to be feared.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Naughty_Om
Im Ron Burgundy?
+355|6634|USA

haffeysucks wrote:

CaptainMike wrote:

I don't think you should care, I doubt you'll feel it anyway.  Death isn't something to be feared.
QFT.

The only thing to be feared is the time leading up to death.
Mr.Pieeater
+116|6625|Cherry Pie

Bull3t wrote:

But if it does. We will more then likely not be around for it.
That never even crossed my mind that we won't be around for it...  I was hoping to live to be 300 Billion years old.  =-)
TrollmeaT
Aspiring Objectivist
+492|6673|Colorado
I heard about this in school when I was young, little late with the info. Thanks anyways .
-=raska=-
Canada's French Frog
+123|6627|Quebec city, Canada
I'd like to be around and see it..

Either I watch a beautiful show in the sky

or

I die of a quick and painless death

nothing to lose imo

Last edited by -=raska=- (2007-03-21 20:05:44)

Ryan

TrollmeaT wrote:

I heard about this in school when I was young, little late with the info. Thanks anyways .
Yeah, I was browsing around the Hubble site and came across this.Musn't be very important seeing as how I never heard about it
TuataraDude
+115|6523|Aotearoa
And yet I have read recently in either New Scientist or Scientific American (can't remember which) that due to dark energy now having a greater effect on the universe, as the galaxies are further apart than they were 6-8 billion years ago, that the actual number of colliding galaxies has dropped by a massive amount. Having said that, Andromeda and the Milky Way are part of the same local cluster, so we may collide. Anyway, 100 times a speeding bullet is still quire pedestrian when you need to cover 4.2 million light years. Humans won't be around to see that happen. Even if we are, we have have survived for sooooooooooo long, that we would have the technology to be elsewhere when it happens.

Last edited by TuataraDude (2007-03-22 17:08:30)

blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6646
our galaxy is going to kick the other galaxy's ass woot milky way
TuataraDude
+115|6523|Aotearoa

blademaster wrote:

our galaxy is going to kick the other galaxy's ass woot milky way
Andromeda is bigger than us, but we have the advatage of being more nimble I guess.
RasorX
+17|6744|Indianapolis
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH....pant pant pant.....AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
-101-InvaderZim
+42|6845|Waikato, Aotearoa
sweet dude - cant hardly wait. pity i wont be around to see it
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6767|UK

CaptainMike wrote:

If you live 5 million years you will
destruktion_6143
Was ist Loos?
+154|6628|Canada
and why sould we care? our civilization wont be around in 500 million years they way things are going now.
Surgeons
U shud proabbly f off u fat prik
+3,097|6490|Gogledd Cymru

it may be moving at 100x the speed of a bullet, but every object in space is moving away from the "big bang" which means we are moving away from it too but we cant measure our own red shift, btw were moving away from it aswell
Ryan

surgeon_bond wrote:

it may be moving at 100x the speed of a bullet, but every object in space is moving away from the "big bang" which means we are moving away from it too but we cant measure our own red shift, btw were moving away from it aswell
I bet our galaxy is being attracted the black hole in M31, causing us to move towards it.
I know it won't happen anytime soon, but it will happen someday.

And I won't be there to prove it.

Last edited by Ryan (2007-03-25 12:25:14)

aLeX
.?
+160|6332|:D

destruktion_6143 wrote:

and why sould we care? our civilization wont be around in 500 million years they way things are going now.
Yes, you are all forgetting our civilization will most probably have ended by then. Due to global warming, nucleur war, the battle for earth. Or the planet may just get bored and piss off into space (I cant prove that) What ever happens, we're screwed! Lifes good, enjoy it while it lasts.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6767|UK

surgeon_bond wrote:

completely and utterly wrong.

Space is expanding, solar system and any object with mass is moving in ANY direction within that.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard