KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6603|949

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,72972-0.html

"Law enforcement agencies in China and elsewhere don't explain to us or telecom companies or anyone the reason why they're demanding specific information. We can't tell the difference between a legitimate national security issue and something else."
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6376|North Carolina
That's fucked up.... 

Every day that passes, I wish more and more that we had supported the Capitalist government in China before the Communist Revolution.  If we had never let the Communists win that battle, China would be in a much better place today.
Eagle
Togs8896 is my evil alter ego
+567|6602|New Hampshire, USA
It sucks not having freedom of speech
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/14407/Sig_Pats.jpg
Superslim
BF2s Frat Brother
+211|6663|Calgary
Too bad but he broke the law in China. It might be different in the US, but in China, he was well aware what he was doing. In the US, the government would just get a court order to get the info from Yahoo.  So what is the difference???
Turquoise
O Canada

Superslim wrote:

Too bad but he broke the law in China. It might be different in the US, but in China, he was well aware what he was doing. In the US, the government would just get a court order to get the info from Yahoo.  So what is the difference???
Well, it's basically the difference between due process and the Patriot Act.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6532

Turquoise wrote:

Every day that passes, I wish more and more that we had supported the Capitalist government in China before the Communist Revolution.
You did.  So did the Russians.  They lost anyway because the Communists were smarter and had popular support.

Turquoise wrote:

If we had never let the Communists win that battle, China would be in a much better place today.
I doubt it.  Kai-Shek was a brutal son of a bitch.  Keep in mind that Saddam Hussein wasn't Communist.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6532
I love the part where the Republican politician complains.  As if world governments aren't doing the exact same thing.
Turquoise
O Canada

Bubbalo wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Every day that passes, I wish more and more that we had supported the Capitalist government in China before the Communist Revolution.
You did.  So did the Russians.  They lost anyway because the Communists were smarter and had popular support.

Turquoise wrote:

If we had never let the Communists win that battle, China would be in a much better place today.
I doubt it.  Kai-Shek was a brutal son of a bitch.  Keep in mind that Saddam Hussein wasn't Communist.
Mao was far more brutal than Kai-Shek ever was.
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6336|California
That's how I lost my uncle hes in a prison in Shanghai.
Turquoise
O Canada
Sorry to hear that... 
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6336|California
And my other uncle died in a car crash in China while driving somewhere... but this is not the right place to talk about it.. he was the best uncle i ever had took me everywhere and did everything for me... I MISS HIM
TwistedX
Aviator
+26|6765|Oklahoma
Adding another to my list of "Reasons Not To Go To China"
some_random_panda
Flamesuit essential
+454|6361

TwistedX wrote:

Adding another to my list of "Reasons Not To Go To China"
Well, another to add to the list is that I'm going there next Christmas, and you REALLY wouldn't want to meet me there, would you?

And another thing, you'd be naive to think that the law enforcement agencies in your country don't monitor what you do on the internet.

Last edited by some_random_panda (2007-03-21 00:09:08)

Mr.Pieeater
+116|6595|Cherry Pie
Looks like they should have been born in the United States and not China.  Oh well, not my problem! 

I love Pie!
brome
brap.
+244|6558|Accidental, TK

Mr.Pieeater wrote:

Looks like they should have been born in the United States and not China.  Oh well, not my problem! 

I love Pie!
Senesitivity FTW
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6532

Turquoise wrote:

Which explains why the people supported Mao..................................or not.

The majority of deaths under Mao were either the result of subordinates taking things to far, or poor planning rather than maliciousness.  Kai-Shek was famed for his brutality, whilst Communist soldiers were known for their politeness.
konfusion
mostly afk
+480|6521|CH/BR - in UK

This is disturbing - it must be quite bad having people patrol your emails/internet 24/7. Switzerland is too small to have someone do that inside the country, so if they do it at all, it must be external help. At any rate, living in the UK right now, I know that whatever I write can be read :S

-konfusion
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6416|The Land of Scott Walker

Bubbalo wrote:

I love the part where the Republican politician complains.  As if world governments aren't doing the exact same thing.
Yes the US is hauling people off to prison for 10 years for pro-democracy internet activities aren't we . . .
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6532

Stingray24 wrote:

Bubbalo wrote:

Yes the US is hauling people off to prison for 10 years for pro-democracy internet activities aren't we . . .
No, the US government is dealing with China despite it's human rights abuses.

That, and holding people for years on end without giving them a chance to prove their innocence, but that isn't what I was talking about.
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6416|The Land of Scott Walker

Bubbalo wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

Bubbalo wrote:

True.  I wish we wouldn't do that, but we don't have much of a choice in this global economy.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6261|Éire

Stingray24 wrote:

True.  I wish we wouldn't do that, but we don't have much of a choice in this global economy.
You can't have your cake and eat it. If you're happy enough for your country to do business with China it kind of takes away from your right to complain about Chinese affairs. I myself are for freedom of speech, always.
Turquoise
O Canada

Stingray24 wrote:

Bubbalo wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

I disagree.  We could diversify our trade more by shifting it more towards India, Indonesia, and several other Third World nations.  Granted, most of these countries are really corrupt in one way or another.  Some would say Indonesia is a lot worse than China.
jonsimon
+224|6466

Turquoise wrote:

That's fucked up.... 

Every day that passes, I wish more and more that we had supported the Capitalist government in China before the Communist Revolution.  If we had never let the Communists win that battle, China would be in a much better place today.
Why, so we could have another Saddam Huessien, but this time with nation larger than ours behind him?
Turquoise
O Canada

Bubbalo wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Which explains why the people supported Mao..................................or not.

The majority of deaths under Mao were either the result of subordinates taking things to far, or poor planning rather than maliciousness.  Kai-Shek was famed for his brutality, whilst Communist soldiers were known for their politeness.
I take it you're a Communist apologist.
Turquoise
O Canada

jonsimon wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

That's fucked up.... 

Why, so we could have another Saddam Huessien, but this time with nation larger than ours behind him?
That's not necessarily how it would be.  By now, China would probably be much further ahead towards Westernization if it hadn't been for Communism.  Kai-Shek may have been brutal, but governments become less and less able to brutalize their people as they get more prosperous.  Already, the Chinese people have begun to demand more freedoms from their government.  A system more capitalistic from the get-go would have allowed the Chinese to be much more prosperous by now, and by extension, most likely a lot more free.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard