specxops
Banned
+18|6641|Boca Raton,Florida
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUI8DO2ujf4

im the smaller one with the black shirt i just kinda started boxing with my friends and my opponent who is 210 pounds came over and said ill box anyone here and im like w/e lets go. At the end there he like pushes me lol and i just fall straight. But anyways would like some advice on how to box people bigger than you or anything im doing wrong thanks
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6521|Global Command
1) Always claim to be the bigger dude when you post a youtube video.
2) Always carry a small roll of quarters that you sneakily place in your fist.
3) When boxing big stupid guys let them win as if you don't, they'll kick your ass for humiliating them.

Other than that, it looks like you need work on your blocking.
specxops
Banned
lol well for number 1, y?? for number 2 hell kick my ass if he finds out, and 3 hes my buddy why would he kick my ass after we are boxing(for #2 thats a different story),

you said i need to work on my blocking, how would i go about doing that?
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6637
the guy in the green T-shirt was not boxing he was pushing the other guy lol
But any who try jabbing him and getting a real ring that way you can  move around the ring and have some kind of boundary. The guys in the green shirt seems to be in a bad shape so after couple of 5-min rounds if you have good STAMINA you should be able to knock his ass out he would be tired as hell. Also watch some Mohamed Ali tapes he was never a biggest guy in the ring, but he kept moving a lot and at the end of each match he would bring his A game.
specxops
Banned
thanks man, but they had to go after that round there so we ended it but ya he was just pushing me basicaly and i was really intimidated, he benches 250 so if he woulda hit me, woulda hurt dunno im going to box him next week for a few rounds see how it goes.
acEofspadEs6313
Shiny! Let's be bad guys.
+102|6684|NAS Jacksonville, Florida
Just because he can bench 250 doesn't necessarily mean he can hit hard.
ATG
Banned

specxops wrote:

lol well for number 1, y?? for number 2 hell kick my ass if he finds out, and 3 hes my buddy why would he kick my ass after we are boxing(for #2 thats a different story),

you said i need to work on my blocking, how would i go about doing that?
Well, when I was into rock climbing hardcore I would watch a lot of videos related to that. Watch a lot of fights. There is likely a boxing gym near you where you can spare with trained boxers.

My feeling was that you were afraid of getting hit, understandable considering his size, but a crutch no less.
specxops
Banned
sry what is a crutch?, and ya there is a boxing gym near by but i dont think i am good enough to fight trained boxers yet im gunna work out more first, o and i was jabbing him was i not?
twood375
+16|6640|Washington, D.C.
keep your guards up at all times. your front fist more vertical in front of your face and your back fist more on the far side of your chest. move around, stay balanced. on a bigger guy, wait for him to punch, block it, and hit him back. you just need to be more aggressive overall it seemed like both of you were not really in the fighting mood haha get drunk or something
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6534|Texas - Bigger than France
You need to work on your footwork - take shorter & faster steps.

Plus you're squared up - you should have one foot slightly in front of the other, otherwise it allows your opponent to step in, forcing you to move your feet before you throw a punch - this is why he was able to press you back - all he had to do was move forward, you can't move side to side as well if you're squared.  Plus you can't get as much power if you're squared.

The guy is bigger than you, you are faster - you wait for him to move in, sidestep and sting him.  You look fast enough to get in and out, assuming your feet are right, but with bigger guy it's best to let him come to you - you got to hit him harder to do damage.

I learned to box a bit when I was playing hockey.  But honestly I wasn't too good at either.
ATG
Banned

specxops wrote:

sry what is a crutch?, and ya there is a boxing gym near by but i dont think i am good enough to fight trained boxers yet im gunna work out more first, o and i was jabbing him was i not?
Crutch means obvious weakness.

You don't fight trained boxers, you spar with them. Two untrained guys will not learn much slapping at each other. If you really want to box, join the boxing gym.

Last edited by ATG (2007-03-17 23:18:27)

specxops
Banned
thanks good advice, i really do need to learn footwork i have not had anyone train me or teach me anything really just about a month of boxing my friends ill try keeping my foot out next time and twood i dont really understand what you are saying about keeping my fist vertical and my other one on the far side, and ya its weird fighting your friends and im not gunna get drunk at like 3pm lol and i fight better when im concentrating on the fight not going nuts
twood375
+16|6640|Washington, D.C.
ok basic fighting stance facing to the right:

legs shoulder width apart, front foot facing forward, back foot perpendicular to body

point your front foot at your target, so you should be exposing the side of your body, not the whole front by standing square.

now your fists. your left arm, put it up in front of your face, so that your forearm is almost vertical. take your right fist and rest it on your right upper chest.

This is just basic fighting technique...i dont know about boxing although its pretty similar
bluehavoc8686
will frag for food
+11|6831|Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Combination punching works well. Instead of backing off when your opponent lets down his guard, continue to get in good punches. Quick jabs are the bread and butter of boxing. Instead of the round-house approach, work on quick, decisive jabs that will render your opponent ineffective for a second or two after an effective hit. The idea behind this: hitting him in the cheek won't do much to his concentration, but a shot to the nose will make his eyes water.

If you want to win, you have to wear down an opponent; especially if he's significantly bigger than you. When the guard goes down (kid in the green shirt had his hands around his waist area for most of the bout), go for one or two quick jabs. Continue to jab until the guard goes back up. The hands will stay down for longer periods of time the more good shots you get.

But don't forget to protect your own guard. Your's looked pretty good. Your hands were where they needed to be for most of the match.

Also, make sure you keep a good distance. Get within YOUR arm's length so you can jab effectively. When he swings, go in toward him rather than backing out. This takes some getting used to if your natural reaction is flight instead of fight. Feel free to hit him in the kidneys a few times to force him to drop the guard.

Good luck!

Last edited by bluehavoc8686 (2007-03-17 23:34:34)

specxops
Banned
thanks all great advice
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.
+1,396|6738|The United Center
BlueHavoc gave you some really good advice.

Counter-punching is your friend.  Everytime he threw a jab, he opened up one side of his body.  If you're able to dodge the jab, counter it with one of your own.  If you land one on the chin, he's done.

Also, everytime you threw a punch, you would throw one and then back away.  That won't really get you anywhere.  Throw a jab, then as your opponent is blocking it, follow up the jab with an uppercut from your other hand.  If your jab is up high, he'll block high, leaving his body/jaw open for an uppercut.

Finally, try to cover your punches.  Everytime you went to throw a jab, you could tell a second or two in advance when you set up for the punch.  You'd be better off faking with one hand, then actually punching with your other hand.  It'll get your opponent guessing and it won't give him time to set up a block.

...not to mention, it looks like you're right handed.  If you work on your left hand a bit, you'll be a much better boxer.
specxops
Banned
ya im right handed feel weird jabbing with my left gotta work on a lot of things but i landed a few good hits on him
R3v4n
We shall beat to quarters!
+433|6478|Melbourne

Not to bad, Keep moving around him, and instead of throughing your hands at him when you block try ducking or stepping back, tire him out then start to unload on him.  Make sure when you go for a big punch you through your shoulder into it.
~ Do you not know that in the service … one must always choose the lesser of two weevils?
TrollmeaT
Aspiring Objectivist
+492|6664|Colorado
Watch all the rockys & buy a boxing video game. ;P
specxops
Banned
lol r3v4n its throwing i believe and i did step back alot, didnt duck much on him i have other fights where i do alot of ducking i try not to do it much since im not amazing at it and if i mess up ill get hit pretty hard, lol the rockys sucked btw, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT8loyWeX9Q lol thats me knocking a kid out, im editing a fight thats alot more even in weight but i kinda rock him imo but i wanna see your guys view so im gunna go work on that
acidkiller187
+123|6622
I would love to box both of you...
madmurre
I suspect something is amiss
+117|6702|Sweden

TrollmeaT wrote:

Watch all the rockys & buy a boxing video game. ;P
Yea learn from Rocky he got the moves remember to keep the guard the rocky-way and you shall not fear defeat.
specxops
Banned
acid are you being sarcastic or serious if so you got any videos?
neon_flux601
+18|6242|Sidahnee Orstrayleeah
join your local gym!

it might seem intimidating but you're going to learn technique before you get thrown into a sparring ring, so get on down and join up.
make sure it isn't 'boxacise' or something watered down though - you need a proper boxing gym so check it out first - they usually have some kind of first session free deal.

just take the plunge and don't be too scared - you'll learn so much more and get worked so much harder in a proper gym PLUS it will be much safer than what I just saw in your video.

feeling intimidated, awkward or scared etc is all part of the sport - you will learn that it can be overcome as you develop a timing and rhythm that will overcome all of that - it's a confidence thing.

pointers? i'm not claiming to be a pro but i do attend a boxing gym for fitness and love it - these are some basic things you should be working on before putting gloves on.

***I take no responsibility for what you do after reading the following etc etc***

FOOTWORK - shoulder width apart, feet STRAIGHT ahead, right foot forward (you're right handed yeah?)
don't walk the tightrope (ie watch distance - keep them shoulder width apart) and keep a spring in your rear foot. slide your feet - always have one on the ground.
when moving forward always be throwing a jab, as with retreating.
i'm not going to go into pivots or anything more advanced than that.

GUARD - keep your chin down! keep that chin close to your chest and you won't get smacked out with your head sticking out on that neck of yours - you want to eliminate the amount of chin that is exposed.
put your hands up in front of your face - right hand on your nose and left hand (leading hand) DIRECTLY in front of that one - you want to be looking over the tops of those gloves and looking through your eyebrows almost - stay loose though, you need to be like a coiled rubber band about to explode - don't tense up!
let the punches hit your gloves - get used to it - your eyes will well up, you will flinch and you won't like it one bit but you WILL get used to it and learn to control your fear.
I won't go into catching punches or anything more advanced as you really need proper instruction, not some tips off the internet.

JAB - before even thinking about throwing your right you need to have a FAST SNAPPY jab - it's your best friend. you use your jab to guage distance between you and your opponent, to defend and keep your opponent away from you and also to lead into combos.
when you're backing away from your opponent, throw that jab out and he'll stay back and won't run you over with a massive combo.
the jab's power comes from your BACK, not your arms - you rotate on your trunk (torso) and snap the arm out in a straight line - practice this in front of a mirror. thats why they call it 'throwing' a punch - practice this until you have it fast, hard and so that you can do it over and over for at LEAST 2 minutes (standard round).
this will make you very tired, no matter how fit you think you are.
get the jab back fast - if you keep it out there you are exposed and will cop a returning jab, hook or even an uppercut if you're unlucky enough.

HOOK - your right hand comes out on that same torso twisting path and the arm is bent 90 degrees at the elbow - follow through on the punch and watch as your opponent twists away and down from you. aim for the jawline.

COMBO - jab, jab, hook - let your jabs force them to jab and try throwing a hook when you see their arm extended.

WEAVING, BOBBING - you need to practice on a head height piece of rope or clothesline and bob your head around it - get your speed up.

I won't get any more descriptive than that - you need one on one instruction to learn properly - i take no responsibility for your actions that arise from what information i have written here - although your mate with the green shirt will get a surprise if you keep your cool and follow some of the above.

the bigger they are the harder they fall - it's so damn true. he might bench a lot, but he's slow... just watch those long arms of his, you have to get closer to him to do damage.

boxing is a great sport, an ancient sport and you can have a lot of fun and get VERY fit if you join a gym - messing around with your friends will only end up with you or someone else getting hurt.

enjoy.
savking
+37|6579|England
kick him in the fucking balls, then nutt the cunt, and when hes on the floor double stomp on his head.

as for boxing dont let yourself be the one backing away, come at him strong anddont stop till 1)ur fuckin knakered 2) he batters ya (in eithercase turn n run)

while where on the subject of fighting some cunt bit my ear offon friday durring a pub fight, fuking wanker

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard