Poll

Something needs to change with artillery. Next patch should have...

A longer timer between usage.11%11% - 18
A limited number of uses per round.9%9% - 15
All the above.13%13% - 22
None of the above.65%65% - 104
Total: 159
Cr33d0
+0|6726
How many times have you been in a great firefight for a position only to have our good friend Arty come and fuck it all up? IMHO I really think the artillery needs some nerfing. I feel it ruins the very experience the game is actually trying to give to the players.... intense ingaging combat!

We have all been in a situation where your in a great firefight thinking, "Aww hell yea... this firefight for the bridge is awso.....BOOM!! BOOOM!! BOOOOOM!!" ......firefight ruined..

Dont you think its time that this game focus more on the tactics of the players rather than a cheap fast shelling of artillery...I do.

Cast your vote.. and thank you for your time.
fdcp_elmo
Rules over Sesamestreet
+5|6753|The Netherlands
it does not bother me at all
DeVerlosserNL
The Flying Dutchmen
+5|6705|Chinese Airfield.
Yeah i deffinitly agree, arty in close combat maps is just bs... Fighting on Karkand and one of a sudden some arty comes down, it just screws the fighting.... Also, i believe it should be taken out of Special Forces maps... The maps are just to small for such a big weapon....

Kapiche

Last edited by DeVerlosserNL (2006-01-12 08:53:05)

irarreF
+0|6750
The tactics of a good commander are also part of the game.  Was it your com or the other one blowing you up?
Kung Jew
That one mod
+331|6743|Houston, TX
Sorry bro,  I think it is just about right.  As is I incorporate possible arty strikes into my strategy. Capping a flag?  Find some cover, cause when the enemy comm sees his flag turn white, he's gonna send uncle Arty to visit.  Mass infantry battle?  Don't bunch up too close to the team cause uncle Arty loves a big crowd.  Tank pounding?  Don't put it in park cause you know that an arty strike is a commanders answer to base rapists.  Waiting for a heli?  Don't sit on that big H on the pad.  A good Commander can usually find a couple of soon to be dead soldiers camped out waiting for the next spawn.

All in all, I think the arty is balanced.
wannabe_tank_whore
+5|6775
on a large map arty is useless so i disagree.  on karkand 64 man map i can get 30+ arty kills per round whereas i only 15 or so on kubra.
WildBlueYonder
+0|6736|New Brunswick Canada
i Think its fine, but i sort of agree with SF having no arty
invisiduck
Aromatic
+-4|6771
Artillery has that effect on some people, personally, i think theres nothiong more fun that running through the middle of it and hopeing for the best, chances are if you make it, the bad guys will be looking the other way, leading to cheeky stealth dishonourable kill AHOY!
Cr33d0
+0|6726
Interesting points guys keep 'em commin'!!
Cbass
Kick His Ass!
+371|6692|Howell, Mi USA
Yea it gets annoying at times but i don't mind. It can also be helpful.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/bb53a522780eff5b30ba3252d44932cc2f5b8c4f.png
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6734|Salt Lake City

Artillery is fine the way it is.  A good commander shouldn't be dropping arty into the middle of a close quarters firefight where there is a concentration of his/her own troops.  Just because a team has a poor commander is no reason to alter the arty settings of the game.

Also realize that there is a goal to the game.  To capture all CPs and/or eliminate the opposing team's tickets to zero.  Altering the arty from the way it stands because you feel like it interferes with your firefights with the other team is just, well...selfish is the best word that comes to mind at this moment.
Cr33d0
+0|6726
Actually I think the commander using the arty to take out multiple targets and not leaving the team a chance to engage is selfish. Artillery dropping every 20-30 seconds from either teams commander is just too much IMO. No one is saying "remove the arty" just...damn... make it more of a valued team asset then just something to spam away with ruining a developing combat situation over a CP just as it starts. AND.... for every great commander out there, is 20 more who absolutely suck at it. The frequency of callable artillery is just too much right now for the ratio of skilless vs skilled commnders.

...maybe I'm just crazy for wanting more time to fight it out before Uncle Arty does it for me.. *shrug*
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6734|Salt Lake City

Cr33d0 wrote:

Actually I think the commander using the arty to take out multiple targets and not leaving the team a chance to engage is selfish. Artillery dropping every 20-30 seconds from either teams commander is just too much IMO. No one is saying "remove the arty" just...damn... make it more of a valued team asset then just something to spam away with ruining a developing combat situation over a CP just as it starts. AND.... for every great commander out there, is 20 more who absolutely suck at it. The frequency of callable artillery is just too much right now for the ratio of skilless vs skilled commnders.

...maybe I'm just crazy for wanting more time to fight it out before Uncle Arty does it for me.. *shrug*
It would be selfish if the commander could cap a CP using arty, but they can't.  It still requires the team out in the field to actually take and hold those command points.  Also, as has been discussed at great length, is the fact that the commander's score is based on an average of his team's score.  The commander gets less if their team doesn't perform.  Therefore, it is always in the commanders best interest to do what is best for the TEAM.

Last edited by Agent_Dung_Bomb (2006-01-12 12:47:46)

Cr33d0
+0|6726
Your absolutely right ADB and I agree with you 100% but the thing is, you can go to 10-20 servers and maybe 2 or 3 commanders out of those servers knows that. Currently the MAJORITY of commanders I have come across were basicly having a "who can drop the arty faster than the other comm..." contest. It doesnt matter where or who is in the target zone. So long as they get all the bad red dots on the screen.
Sh4rkb1t3
+6|6682
Artillary is fun for the commander, but very annoying and aggravating for everyone else.
wooly-back-jack
Jihaaaaaad!!!
+84|6738|England
they usually get more teamkills with it than enemies anyway.
id say have certain maps with no Arty but EA will probably do just that.....in a fucking booster pack!

Last edited by wooly-back-jack (2006-01-12 14:18:40)

monkeyhunkeytunkey
+2|6740
kinda both falut i mean look you got aarty on ur radar which no one looks but on the other side i like to think of lots of commanders greedy for the kills!
cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6693|NJ
I agree with removing arty from the smaller maps like most the night vision maps don't need it.
teh adam
+2|6684

wooly-back-jack wrote:

they usually get more teamkills with it than enemies anyway.
id say have certain maps with no Arty but EA will probably do just that.....in a fucking booster pack!
Well sometimes that happens but that is rarely the commander's fault... like today I was playing on Zatar Wetlands and the enemy commander dropped arty on me and some other guy. Well at that exact moment an enemy vehicle came rolling in and it killed the 3 enemys in the vehicle.

Not the commander's fault just the idiot that ran into the arty... thats why I don't play commander. I will use the "Incoming Artillary" voice command thing and say/type "ARTILLARY IS COMING DOWN" followed by "DO NOT RUN INTO THE ARTILLARY" at this point someone runs into the arty and I get a teamkill.

Basically it sucks when you get killed by arty but the best way to avoid that is keep moving and try to move along with buildings so if artillary comes down you can hide inside one. Also if you see a bunch of ppl just staying in one place putting down suppresive fire... move away from them

I don't play on small maps that much so I can't really comment about artillary on them, but im fine with artillary on 32/64 player maps

Last edited by teh adam (2006-01-12 15:22:52)

evillbill
+-1|6732|West Oz

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

Also realize that there is a goal to the game.  To capture all CPs and/or eliminate the opposing team's tickets to zero.  Altering the arty from the way it stands because you feel like it interferes with your firefights with the other team is just, well...selfish is the best word that comes to mind at this moment.
ADB has it is a nutshell here.

Also it is not the fault of the arty that it gets you, it was the commander that dropped it on you. He's an idiot. Go commander yourself, or find another server. If you don't like arty because is ends the game too early, then I guess that's just tough.

I would say that the Karkand/Wake fanz don't like arty mostly because it interfere's with their stats aquisition. Messes up the routine.

I like going commander and I love the stuff. Especially the first drop of the day onto the top of the carrier amongst the campers. That sure motivates them to repawn in the boat deck and attack the island.

A nice addition to arty would be the precision bomb drop. Instead of a barrage; one big bomb, right where you want it. Luverly.
FromTheAshes
+53|6702
LMAO! arty is so easy to not get hit by, just as soon as you hear the "WEOOOOOOW" before it hits, RUN into the nearest cover you have and go prone intill its over, i've done this many times in huge firefights and not die.
WildBlueYonder
+0|6736|New Brunswick Canada

Cr33d0 wrote:

I make sure i don't drop arty on friendlies unless they call for it, also the main point of arty is to take out the large group of enemies so that your team isn't in a stalemate firefight so that your men are safe and they are moving forward towards the CP rather than racking up deaths in a 32 on 32 trench warfare style shoot out. this is Tactical Squad Based Combat not world war 1.

That being said I agree it can be annoying and yes there are more crappy commanders than bad and many more that just want badges points and ribbons. I can only remember the time on karkland when an enemy wanted to BAN me for dropping artilery on his main force of like 20 people in a firefight over the bridge. He said it came down too often so i was obviously cheating. It just so happens that my team had worked its way to the bridge had all the CP's and was simply holding them at bay so when the arty reloaded BOOM and my team advanced a bit and destroyed some commander assets, then they died spawned at the train and Boom back in to try and capture. WHile all along this one guy screams cheat, hack, noob, fag, and anything else he came up with. It was quite hilarious.
polarbearz
Raiders of the Lost Bear
+-1,474|6786|Singapore

I guess we command in a different way.

#1 If a CP is in danger of being taken: Multiple teamies killed, couple of snipers left, APC rolling in, enemy advancing the position. Your life is forfeit. I.e. Train Accident, if the USMC has a APC and a Tank and is overwhelming you from Market/Suburbs, get your ass back to gatehouse and defend. Because your life is forfeit to me.

#2 Arty leaves a nice big red spot on the map, if you refuse to listen to my warnings over VOIP and over Squad Commands, your life is forfiet. I WILL drop arty on a big firefight, but I WILL ask you to take cover, and I WILL put it further away from you. If you still refuse to do that, your life is forfeit.

#3 On enemy Helipads/Carriers. Your life is ALREADY forfeit when you get there. I rather hit the jet TK-ing you and one other person and killing a couple of enemies than allow the jet to lift off and own my team.

I go for the team win, and teamkills with artillery along the way are regrettable but unavoidable. Live with it.
oberst_enzian
+234|6740|melb.au

polarbearz wrote:

#2 Arty leaves a nice big red spot on the map, if you refuse to listen to my warnings over VOIP and over Squad Commands, your life is forfiet. I WILL drop arty on a big firefight, but I WILL ask you to take cover, and I WILL put it further away from you. If you still refuse to do that, your life is forfeit.
And as the Holy Polarbear sayeth
Use thine map.
For if thy life is lost despite the presence
of the Holy Red Throb of Artillery from Heaven,
Bad Fucking Luck for not having sufficient Situational Awareness.

Amen.
./KRUX
+1|6735|Austin Texas
i think they should remove it all together.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard