FrankieSpankie3388
Hockey Nut
+243|6500|Boston, MA
To be completely honest with you, the only thing to hate in the United States is the politics and the crime. Sure, we're not really the most hospitable people in the world, but most of the middle class citizens will help you if you need it.
JohnnyBlanco
+44|6541|England

comet241 wrote:

JohnnyBlanco wrote:

McDonalds cheesburgers, coca cola, muscle cars, playboy, horny chicks and Star Wars.
hey, lets be fair. we have you guys to thank almost as much for star wars, half the cast is british! and as far as what Arkanon said, i wouldn't know what to do in london, i guess i didn't realize that small talk and conversations with random strangers was totally american.... I guess next time im there ill just shut up so i dont stand out like a sore thumb....

and while we're at it, the TRUE american muscle car, johnnyblanco: http://www.ers-squad.com/comet/vette3.JPG

i bought it three years ago and am slowly bringing it back to 100% original. Driving it down Old Route 66 (which runs right through my town) is the true American experience
You jammy git, she's fucking PIMP man! I mentioned muscle cars because i spent three years restoring and painting pre 1970 stangs so if you need any tips give us a shout, she looks pretty mint from the photo though. Oh and don't necessarily stay in London if you visit, its ok for a few days but like most capitals not the best part of the country.
Mackaronen
+18|6607|Uppland, Sweden
Haven't met so many Americans and have never been there. But i have never met a unpleasant American yet. I would love to visit America some day, maybe my friend gonna get married there this fall. I hope so so i can visit, and buy some stuff to my guns that are really hard to get here in Sweden.
JG1567JG
+110|6558|United States of America

Mackaronen wrote:

Haven't met so many Americans and have never been there. But i have never met a unpleasant American yet. I would love to visit America some day, maybe my friend gonna get married there this fall. I hope so so i can visit, and buy some stuff to my guns that are really hard to get here in Sweden.
you may have t ship whatever you buy for your guns back seperate instead of taking it back with you.  The laws get pretty tricky when you ship or carry something involving firearms across international lines.  Do some research and be careful.

P.S. you might be able to buy whatever off the internet and have it shipped to a dealer near you?

P.S.S.  bigp66 sorry for my comment earlier in the thread.  I like BBQ also but never had memphis BBQ.

Last edited by JG1567JG (2006-06-15 15:44:40)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

CameronPoe wrote:

The architecture in Chicago is the finest modern architecture I have ever witnessed.
If you visit Chicago at all in the winter, just watch out for falling ice. It's deadly.
Major_Spittle
Banned
+276|6625|United States of America

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

The architecture in Chicago is the finest modern architecture I have ever witnessed.
If you visit Chicago at all in the winter, just watch out for falling ice. It's deadly.
Cameron, please stay out of the U.S., obviously you hate America so why visit it.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6660|Tampa Bay Florida

Major_Spittle wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Cameron, please stay out of the U.S., obviously you hate America so why visit it.
He was the person who created the thread but whatever, guess you can't read.
kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
+581|6519|Southeastern USA
if he gets a picture of himself in front of Bob's Big Boy Doughnuts and puts it in his sig it means he is total complete grandmaster flash of all trivia American and is infallible
CameronPoe
+2,925|6525

Major_Spittle wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

I'll go to the US if I bloody well want. I don't hate America or Americans at all. I just hate the foreign policy of their currently deeply unpopular government. In fact I was considering a short fly-drive to California/Nevada this summer if I can squeeze it in.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2006-06-16 11:47:34)

PuckMercury
6 x 9 = 42
+298|6497|Portland, OR USA
As a life-long American, I love my country.  I would gladly give my life for it.  However, we haven't been in that position since WWII and I think that causes some problems because we don't have anyone to fight.  In the Cold War we had an obvious opponent as well, but this terrorism BS just generates smoke and mirrors.  Don't get me wrong, guerilla is an effective way to fight if you're the smaller force ... hell, that's how WE won our independance, so we can't really talk too poorly about those who use it.

We do have many flaws and the negative world image we have is largely propogated by ourselves.  Most obvious of this is our tendancy to police the world (Team America: World Police) and impress our views and values on less powerful nations.  There is also a large tendancy to stereotype and generalize without any effort to find out the real truth.  Of course ... that in ITSELF is a generalization, but I suppose Mark Twain said it best when he said, "No generalization is worth a damn - including this one."
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6260|Éire
There's so much to like about America...

Architecture: Some of the most impressive skylines in the world. When I was in New York I was blown away by the shear scale of it. I started to have sky scrapers appear in my dreams at night! Also the fantastic Art Deco architecture in New York and Modern Architecture in Chicago are outstanding.

Films: Outside of the Hollywood studio system some of the best independent films in the world come out of the US. Also as a result of being the number one power in the movie world and having a very strong movie culture American actors are far superior to most other nationalities (in general, not neccessarily across the board). You can also get any DVD in the world in America, I was looking for a rare independent Irish movie for ages and the only place I could get it was America (and I live in Ireland where the film was made, figure that one out!).

Music: Some of the greatest bands ever came from the US: Nine Inch Nails, Primus, Frank Zappa ...I could go on all day.

People: In general most of the Americans I've met have been friendly, open and hospitable (I've only ever ended up arguing with Americans when the conversation has moved onto the subject of politics and even then it has never ended in violence). When I was in New York I had to wait for my brother at a Manhattan hotel and got chatting to a family who ended up giving me their number in case my brother never showed up and I needed a place to stay! Contrast this with my opinion of the French, I love France and Paris is my favourite city in the world but the people, in general, come across as aloof and a little arrogant (African-French people seem much more friendly in my experience, they are always more helpful and more likely to engage in friendly conversation).

Landscape: Some of the most incredible scenery in the world. I love the seemingly never ending landscape and the idea of thousands and thousands of little towns and cities that you could spend your whole life travelling around and never reach them all.

Sport: American boxing is much more exciting than British boxing (although British boxing is on the rise again with the likes of Ricky Hatton and Joe Calzaghe). I'm a soccer man but I actually quite like American Football, it's like a cross between Rugby and Chess.

Politics: even when there is a government in place like the current administration there remains plenty of Americans out there who still have their eyes and their ears open and know the reality of what's going on (maybe not as many as I'd like but still plenty). Freedom of speech rules.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6571|132 and Bush

CameronPoe wrote:

Major_Spittle wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

I'll go to the US if I bloody well want. I don't hate America or Americans at all. I just hate the foreign policy of their currently deeply unpopular government. In fact I was considering a short fly-drive to California/Nevada this summer if I can squeeze it in.
Where in Nevada/California?
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Parker
isteal
+1,452|6364|The Gem Saloon
fucking-A CP, you make your way around st louis you contact me. well go get some beers and shoot some machine guns......doesnt have to be in that order lol.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6260|Éire

Major_Spittle wrote:

Congratulations Major_Spittle you've just inspired me to go on holiday to America. You should work for the tourist board.
.:XDR:.PureFodder
+105|6799
For me I like alot of the music, films, tv etc. that comes out of America. There's also a whole lot of important and impressive scientific research being done there on important topics including fighting cancer, malaria and other disease, high tech applications and theoretical fundamentals.

As for the country, there are some of the most impressive countryside I've ever seen. Boston and New York are great places to visit and Seattle is just brilliant.

Baseball!
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6780|Nårvei

*American Fotball (have played it myself)
*Baseball
*San Francisco
*Chicago (the city)
*Linkin Park
*Loads of other music
*Eleanor
*Clint Eastwood
*Pepsi
*South Park
*The Simpsons
*Condoleeza Rice
*Edison
*Hollywood
*CDC
*44 Magnum

...... and some other stuff
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6571|132 and Bush

Parker wrote:

fucking-A CP, you make your way around st louis you contact me. well go get some beers and shoot some machine guns......doesnt have to be in that order lol.
I was thinking the same. I figured if he could handle the Nevada heat in the summer, FL wouldn't be that bad (Aside from the possible hurricane).. lol. Damn you were nearly here too when you went to Cuba.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
BVC
+325|6665
Music
Beer and barbeques
Muscle cars

And pumpkin pie, fuck that stuff is nice!

Hey I already posted some of this stuff...meh...BBQs still rule!

Last edited by Pubic (2007-03-16 04:50:46)

.:XDR:.PureFodder
+105|6799

Major_Spittle wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

It takes a special effort for an American to actually put America in a negative light in a topic specifically designed to point out the good things about America.

Well done!
crimson_grunt
Shitty Disposition (apparently)
+214|6624|Teesside, UK
1) The big budget blockbuster Hollywood films that the rest of the world can't afford to make
2) Although i despise McDonalds food i do respect the whole "have a nice day" thing where employees at least pretend to enjoy their job.  Shop assistants are miserable as fuck over here and whine to each other non stop while serving you.
3) loads of decent rock bands
4) Some fantastic tv like 24, futurama, Simpson’s, daily show and much to many to list.
5) Also about tv American tv series (seasons) are massive a uk series is around 6-10 episodes whereas in America in can be up to 24 episodes.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6531
I've thought about this all night, trying to find something unique about the US that I like or dislike, and I've just now realised:

There isn't anything about the US that I particularly like or dislike that no-one else has, it's just that the US has the ability to assert itself on the world stage, and that accentuates that harshness of their foreign policy, which exists anywhere.  Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer to live in Australia as opposed to the US, but only in the same way that I prefer Australia to just about anywhere.

Basically:  There isn't anything that I particularly like or dislike with the US as compared to Britain, or France, or even Australia.  It's just that the US is powerful enough to affect the world, and no-one ever talks about Australia.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6571|132 and Bush

Bubbalo wrote:

I've thought about this all night, trying to find something unique about the US that I like or dislike, and I've just now realised:

There isn't anything about the US that I particularly like or dislike that no-one else has, it's just that the US has the ability to assert itself on the world stage, and that accentuates that harshness of their foreign policy, which exists anywhere.  Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer to live in Australia as opposed to the US, but only in the same way that I prefer Australia to just about anywhere.

Basically:  There isn't anything that I particularly like or dislike with the US as compared to Britain, or France, or even Australia.  It's just that the US is powerful enough to affect the world, and no-one ever talks about Australia.
How about BF2S? I like Australian beer btw .. . I hear you guys have a really nice reef sitting out there also. I would love to visit Australia. Unlikely in my lifetime though.

Last edited by Kmarion (2007-03-16 06:39:38)

Xbone Stormsurgezz
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6531
Yeah, the great barrier reef is dieing though...............

I'm sorry to say that the US isn't high on my list of places to travel to (above Britain, France and Italy, though).  It just seems so similar, that I'd rather go to places which are wacky and crazy.  Still, if I had my druthers I'd have enough to to visit everywhere on Earth (except NZ, you guys are freaks).
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6260|Éire
The service in bars and restaurants is better in America. I know there is a sort of compulsory tipping culture there but most of the time they earn those tips by providing a higher quality and more friendly service. This is particularly the case in bars and pubs.
Marinejuana
local
+415|6555|Seattle
West Coast Hydro. im telling you, gooey weed that smells stronger than gasoline (o_O). or medical marijuana in general. in CA there are pharmacies all over where basically anyone can be prescribed world class herb. but i guess the netherlands with amsterdam have all of us looking like sissies.

its nice to hear that we americans arent completely hated even if we frequently deserve it.

much respect to people everywhere. honestly its just those few lame people here and there that make or break any nation's image. you just can't hate people on the level of a nationality, country, region, language group, or culture... individual people are just too diverse for that.

its hard to have a nation of 300 million people with out some cool shit going down.
and as a piece of land, much of the US is nice to look at.

King_County_Downy wrote:

Wow, this is the first thread I've seen i a while that doesn't piss me off LOL!!

I'm a big outdoorsman, and I love America for it's beautiful land. Did you know that we are the only country in the world that has all 5 climates? Deserts, Rainforests, etc..

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard