sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6758|Argentina
In the 16th and 17th centuries, everything had to be transported by ship.  It was also before commercial fertilizer's invention, so large shipments of manure were common.  It was shipped dry, because in dry form it weighed a lot less than when wet, but once water (at sea) hit it, it not only became heavier, but the process of fermentation began again, of which a by-product is methane gas. As the stuff was stored below decks in bundles you can see what could (and did) happen.  Methane began to build up below decks and the first time someone came below at night with a lantern, BOOOOM!
Several ships were destroyed in this manner before it was determined just what was happening.  After that, the bundles of manure were always stamped with the term "Ship High In Transit" on them which meant for he sailors to stow it high enough off the lower decks so that any water that came into the hold would not touch this volatile cargo and start the production of methane.
Thus evolved the term "S.H.I.T." which has come down through the centuries and is in use to this very day.  You probably did not know the true history of this word.
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6627|UK
Interesting.
']['error
Banned
+630|6644|The Netherlands
shit:

https://log.krak.nl/wateenswas/poep.jpg
aLeX
.?
+160|6331|:D

/win
TuataraDude
+115|6523|Aotearoa
Haha. Next thing you'll say that the urban myth about the old expression "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge" is the source of.....well, you know.

http://www.snopes.com/language/acronyms/shit.asp

Last edited by TuataraDude (2007-03-06 10:09:38)

sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6758|Argentina

TuataraDude wrote:

Haha. Next thing you'll say that the urban myth about the old expression "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge" is the source of.....well, you know.

This is serious shit.
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6597|Seattle

Reminds me of where the term "POSH" came from.

(From memory so may be somewhat slanted from exact fact)

Back in the late 1800's when the big cruise ships like the Titanic sailed across the Atlantic, you were issued a ticket to board the ship. On the ticket was your rooms location for example: Port Out, Starboard Hull (shortened to POSH). These were the nicest and most expensive rooms.
Sober enough to know what I'm doing, drunk enough to really enjoy doing it
paranoid101
Ambitious but Rubbish
+540|6740
Did you just take a crap in your kitchen to get that picture?
RasorX
+17|6743|Indianapolis

King_County_Downy wrote:

Back in the late 1800's when the big cruise ships like the Titanic sailed across the Atlantic, you were issued a ticket to board the ship. On the ticket was your rooms location for example: Port Out, Starboard Hull (shortened to POSH). These were the nicest and most expensive rooms.
posh
1918, of uncertain origin; no evidence for the common derivation from an acronym of port outward, starboard home, supposedly the shipboard accommodations of wealthy British traveling to India on the P & O Lines (to keep their cabins out of the sun)
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6597|Seattle

RasorX wrote:

King_County_Downy wrote:

posh
1918, of uncertain origin; no evidence for the common derivation from an acronym of port outward, starboard home, supposedly the shipboard accommodations of wealthy British traveling to India on the P & O Lines (to keep their cabins out of the sun)
Close enough
Sober enough to know what I'm doing, drunk enough to really enjoy doing it
TuataraDude
+115|6523|Aotearoa

sergeriver wrote:

TuataraDude wrote:

This is serious shit.
Not when people are talking shit.
stkhoplite
Banned
+564|6480|Sheffield-England
Oh cmon... i just had my tea....
hate&discontent
USMC 0311 SEMPER FI
+69|6389|USA, MICHIGAN
no store high in transit, well for unlawful carnal knowledge me

Board footer