Hurricane
Banned
+1,153|6635|Washington, DC

I like my Aero Glass interface, and the sidebar. But I lag horribly in BF2, get some lag in CS:S, and same with HL2. Any tips on fixing this? Or am I just SOL until nVidia makes some stable drivers?
l41e
+677|6653

I told you not to go the dark side. But nooooooooo, you didn't listen, did you.

SonderKommando
Eat, Lift, Grow, Repeat....
+564|6664|The darkside of Denver
We are fucked untill nvidia releases better drivers. my xfi is fucked too. I cant even use my sli.... my second card is just keeping my case warm.. what a great $1000 upgrade....
r2zoo
Knowledge is power, guard it well
+126|6601|Michigan, USA
Pretty much SOL, thats why no reasonable person buys an OS so early Had to be said.  Thena gain supposedly the 8800s or whatever are supposed to be Vista compatible as well as some other higher end cards, so technically you should'nt have a problem, but thats microsoft.
Hurricane
Banned

r2zoo wrote:

Pretty much SOL, thats why no reasonable person buys an OS so early Had to be said.  Thena gain supposedly the 8800s or whatever are supposed to be Vista compatible as well as some other higher end cards, so technically you should'nt have a problem, but thats microsoft.
I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my hand, nor were my parents, so a brand spanking new system that would run Vista 100% smoothly despite the lame drivers is out of the question.

Oh well. Guess it's minesweeper until those dunderheads make proper drivers.
SonderKommando
Hurricane i was on teh SLi zone forums on nvidia's website. New drivers are due in early march. I have dual 7900gt's and 2 gigs of ram. only one card works w/ vista for now and the OS is a ram hog, i feel your pain bro.
Hurricane
Banned

<SS>SonderKommando wrote:

Hurricane i was on teh SLi zone forums on nvidia's website. New drivers are due in early march. I have dual 7900gt's and 2 gigs of ram. only one card works w/ vista for now and the OS is a ram hog, i feel your pain bro.
Thank god. At least nVidia's driver releases, when they say they're decent, are decent. Thanks for the info man.
jsnipy
+3,276|6527|...

Does your "Aero Glass interface" make you more productive
jsnipy
+3,276|6527|...

jsnipy wrote:

Does your "Aero Glass interface" make you more productive
no its rather useless. But it looks damn cool.
http://imageshack.us/?x=my6&amp;myr … eshack.us/
yeah I have it on another machine ... not sure what the big rush is to load it (vista). Like people racing to buy property in Lebanon, and they when they get there its  ... WTF?!

You are right though it is cool looking.

Last edited by jsnipy (2007-03-02 12:23:23)

SonderKommando
grr. lol meant to post pic, but fucked up the embedding. so i just deleted it. BTW hurricane i never said the drivers will be decent. Just new. And reportedly will support 6/7 series cards in SLi. Hopefully they address DX9 backwards compatibility issues as well. I heard when vista installs in install dx10 as well as a backwards compatible version of dx9.

Last edited by <SS>SonderKommando (2007-03-02 12:25:40)

Hurricane
Banned

grr. lol meant to post pic, but fucked up the embedding. so i just deleted it. BTW hurricane i never said the drivers will be decent. Just new. And reportedly will support 6/7 series cards in SLi. Hopefully they address DX9 backwards compatibility issues as well. I heard when vista installs in install dx10 as well as a backwards compatible version of dx9.
Well I'd think they'd be decent since they've had at least a month and a half to work on them.
SonderKommando
Dice had three years to work on bf2.
Cheddarmuff
+21|6657
Yes....BUY A MAC!!!

Vista CHUGSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS........
beerface702
+65|6698|las vegas
buy a mac? and play what ww2 online?

thats the only game goin for mac really

im dual booting vista to play with since rc2. it is a ram hog, sp1 is supposed to address overhead issues...lets hope so

because at idle this sucker eats 600+ or system ram. out of 2 gig that is alot for just the os

and yes SLI is broke, at least 8800 owners have a solution in their future. 7 series....looks like well have a bit of waiting.
Drykill
I Like Waffles.
+47|6697|England
I found closing the sidebar helped a fair bit. The jerky lag where it's like you have a 200 ping and recording fraps at the same time was reduced and I got 20-25 extra fps.
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6444|King Of The Islands

You can get it to turn off Aero as you load the game.

I'm assuming you've put BF2 in Games.
Go Customize and choose Play, Compatibility, Disable Desktop Composition

I know Vista is supposed to turn off Aero if it thinks your computer's a tub, but I haven't noticed it do things like that yet.
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
motherdear
+25|6656|Denmark/Minnesota (depends)

Cheez wrote:

You can get it to turn off Aero as you load the game.

I'm assuming you've put BF2 in Games.
Go Customize and choose Play, Compatibility, Disable Desktop Composition

I know Vista is supposed to turn off Aero if it thinks your computer's a tub, but I haven't noticed it do things like that yet.
well if the drivers aren't out for the grafikscard yet then Aero ain't on (like with my 7600 go)
DestinedTConquer
[sec8] Member
+12|6660|Netherlands
Microsoft Claims Vista's Aero Interface Doesn't Slow PCs

It's probably not the interface, but Vista is requiring more from your computer than XP (all newer software does).
My solution: Shut down as much programs as possible too reduce the lag. Simple.
Titch2349
iz me!
+358|6357|uk

I created a new user account called "Gaming" took off all my shit that usually starts up, took away the o-so-sexy interface.. and halved the amount of physical memory Vista Uses.
TDRE666
+5|6486
Had vista since the day it came out.

BF2 works fine once i figured out how to fix the "Inadequate O/S" Punkbuster message that got me booted from server.
Cookie.VXT
Bringer Of Cookies.
+178|6440|UK
Vista and gaming is shit

benchmarks show that XP Pro is still the #1

but thats what you get for having a new O/S

bugs issues drivers...

if your that fussed about how well your games play go back to XP till they sort Vista

ohh and did i mention Vista is a resource dinosaur?
SonderKommando
Nvidia is releasing new drivers for 7/6 series cards for sli this month. Sli for 8 series cards works w/ current drivers.  Whoever said we have to wait awhile, if you feel less than a month is awhile you are impatient.
Hurricane
Banned

Robbie77 wrote:

MOD: removed
If you're going to make retarded posts, make them in D&ST or the Junk Drawer. Maybe you should smoke lots and lots of crack that you forget your motor skills.
Drykill
I Like Waffles.
+47|6697|England
I think Vista is alright for gaming. I have Ultimate 64-bit installed and bf2 runs perfectly on it.
All I've done is turn off user account control, set compatibility mode for bf2 to xp(sp2) and closed the sidebar. For some reason with the sidebar open it lags games :\ so I turn it off before playing. And using the latest GFX drivers (100.65) and chip-set drivers off the nvidia website.
Bf2 runs real smooth and I have a similar fps to XP.
Ran 3DMark06 on both Vista and XP. XP got 3009 and Vista got 3024 so I see no performance decrease from using Vista.
And as for Vista being a resource hog, well the only think I've noticed is that it accesses the hard drive a lot more that XP and uses about 15% more RAM. However when running a demanding task it will empty out the RAM for the application so I see it as no big deal that it use up more RAM.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard