Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6669

Volatile_Squirrel wrote:

Why provide a link to the article? Nobody here ever fucking reads.

BBC NEWS wrote:

The resolution to ban the so-called "N-word" is largely symbolic as it carries no weight in law and those who use the word would face no punishment.
This means nothing to the public.
Some of us like to know the source.

On topic, I guess black comedians won't be booking shows in New York anymore.  I guess the Apollo Theater will have to close down.  I guess all the satellite and cable companies will have to filter out BET, BFC and like channels.

Last edited by Ilocano (2007-03-01 11:49:41)

Bull3t
stephen brule
+83|6303

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

aardfrith wrote:

Apparently the New York city council has decided to ban the word "nigger".  It'll be interesting to see how this stacks up with the First Amendment to the US Constitution, which amongst other things, is supposed to have enshrined the freedom of speech.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6406625.stm
Freedom of speech doesn't give you the right to say anything... Freedom of speech is allowed only if is not insulting anyone. But why don't they ban all racial slurs as well?
The word "Nigger" is just another term for racial slur. I don't see why people get so offensive? You don't see people getting pissed when anyone calls a white person a "Cracker". I guess "Cracker" should be banned also?

Freedom of speech are words unlike other countrys where you have to pay for what you say. Freedom of Speech, Allows you to express yourself in ways other people can't.

The term "Nigger" has been used for hundreds of years. Up until now. I see absoulutley nothing wrong with the term. If they won't ban "Cracker" Then why should they ban this? Racism is just another way to get to peoples heads because they take it to far.
Megalomaniac
Formerly known as Missionless
+92|6329|105 RVK

Bull3t wrote:

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

aardfrith wrote:

Apparently the New York city council has decided to ban the word "nigger".  It'll be interesting to see how this stacks up with the First Amendment to the US Constitution, which amongst other things, is supposed to have enshrined the freedom of speech.

Freedom of speech doesn't give you the right to say anything... Freedom of speech is allowed only if is not insulting anyone. But why don't they ban all racial slurs as well?
The word "Nigger" is just another term for racial slur. I don't see why people get so offensive? You don't see people getting pissed when anyone calls a white person a "Cracker". I guess "Cracker" should be banned also?

Freedom of speech are words unlike other countrys where you have to pay for what you say. Freedom of Speech, Allows you to express yourself in ways other people can't.

The term "Nigger" has been used for hundreds of years. Up until now. I see absoulutley nothing wrong with the term. If they won't ban "Cracker" Then why should they ban this? Racism is just another way to get to peoples heads because they take it to far.
If you are fine with calling a black a nigger than you need to die.
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6447|The Land of Scott Walker
Someone needs to post Chris Rock's routine on this word to lighten things up.  I'm at work, so I can't.
UGADawgs
+13|6322|South Carolina, US
I don't know what's up with politicians these days but apparently they think that if you ask nicely in a non-binding resolution, you can get anything done.
aardfrith
Δ > x > ¥
+145|6794

Missionless wrote:

Bull3t wrote:

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

Actually, the word "black" has more bad conotations than "nigger".  Why is black not banned?
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6447|The Land of Scott Walker
Everyone has different connotations that they link with words depending on their unique experience and heritage.  In our PC society it has become nearly impossible to speak without being labeled a racist or insensitive or some crap.  My friends that are black (no recent relatives from Africa) get annoyed when people call them african-american because they’re not!  They’re born and raised US citizens as are their parents! 

I wish people would quit being offended on behalf of other races and causing issues over words that are not racist (the N word obviously is racist).  Example: universities banning mascots because native Americans might be offended.  Hello?!?!  A mascot is a symbol of pride and derides no one!  Even when the tribes came out and publicly said they like the mascot and take no offense, the universities follow their PC mandate and the Warriors have to change to the Goldens or some lame alternative. 

UGADawgs wrote:

I don't know what's up with politicians these days but apparently they think that if you ask nicely in a non-binding resolution, you can get anything done.
They seem to be taking the "it's the thought that counts" approach. :rolleyes

Last edited by Stingray24 (2007-03-02 08:41:58)

Pw.Sultan
+15|6480|NC
i can see why but what i don't understand.. white people say the n word its a big ordeal black person says cracker or anything else whatever doesnt caus a problem i say the same with cursing.. can get offensive but mild words like hell, damn, bastard whatever gets really annoying when made a big deal
jord
+2,382|6680|The North, beyond the wall.

aardfrith wrote:

Missionless wrote:

Bull3t wrote:

Actually, the word "black" has more bad conotations than "nigger".  Why is black not banned?
Well Black is the name of a colour so it wouldn't be banned.

When describing a Black guy to another Black guy he takes no offence.

"Yeah he was a tall,muscular Black guy",nothing wrong with that.
Deadmonkiefart
Floccinaucinihilipilificator
+177|6708

aardfrith wrote:

EDIT: would the person who reported this topic being offensive please contact me to discuss it sensibly.
Yes it is bad, and I agaree that it is at the moment a harmless law, but the problem is that once it has beeen passed it has broken the ice and made way for similar laws that affect our freedom of speech.  I don't like this at all. *shudders*
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6527|South Florida

Pug wrote:

Ahh New York, the most conservative city in America.  What will they do next?
Sarcasm?  Cause NYC is an orgy of commies.......
15 more years! 15 more years!
markkos
Kokko, kokoo koko kokko kokoon!
+9|6677|Zurich, Switzerland
NY could ban speaking at all... It would be easy to find out violators
Hurricane
Banned
+1,153|6632|Washington, DC

Reminds me of South Park, where Cartman gets sued for racism and the following exchange happens:

Prosecutor: Who is Token?
Cartman: A black kid
Prosecutor: BLACK? DID YOU SAY BLACK? HE IS AFRICAN-AMERICAN!
ShoopDaWhoop
Banned
+53|6334
Banning the word Nigger is catering for the black people and therfore slightly racist, in a way that black people are still being treated differently.

They should ban Cracker if they're gonna ban nigger. Or Honkey, or Casper etc
cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6697|NJ
The banning of a word is just as bad as book burning.. It's a word that was an idea even though it was negative, they shouldn't ban cracker or any other word. Next thing you know we'll only be able to speak three or four words. Are we going to ban Genecide because the meaning of it?
Mr.Pieeater
+116|6626|Cherry Pie
The Supreme court will override this.  And you don't have to actually type the word for us to know what it is...  Uncalled for.
stef10
+173|6484|Denmark

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

aardfrith wrote:

Well that is really untrue. You can say anything you want aslong it is not racial discriminating.
But really there is a stuggle between the law of speech and the law of not comming with racial talk.

Last edited by stef10 (2007-03-02 12:39:04)

Mr.Pieeater
+116|6626|Cherry Pie

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

aardfrith wrote:

I think you need to review the US constitution a little more buddy, because people say things all the time that are insulting.  You can say anything that you want to say, when you get down to the law the "N" word is perfectly legal.  The law only comes into play if you were to state something about another person as fact that is actually untrue.  That is called defamation.  There are many other parts of law regarding what a person says, but everyone has the freedom to say what they like.
stef10
+173|6484|Denmark

Mr.Pieeater wrote:

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

aardfrith wrote:

I think you need to review the US constitution a little more buddy, because people say things all the time that are insulting.  You can say anything that you want to say, when you get down to the law the "N" word is perfectly legal.  The law only comes into play if you were to state something about another person as fact that is actually untrue.  That is called defamation.  There are many other parts of law regarding what a person says, but everyone has the freedom to say what they like.
Yep, that is 100% true.

But most things are really just crazy. Like with the drawings of Muhammad many sued Denmark because they hurt their fellings. I say harden the fuck up. What about in Palestine when they burn the jewish flag containing the star of David which is really important for Christians and Jews

Last edited by stef10 (2007-03-02 12:49:02)

Dirrty_Bird
Dirtier than thou
+5|6742|Vermont

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

Actually you are completely off the mark. Freedom of speech does not exclude words that might insult people. Freedom of speech excludes things that could be dangerous to people's safety (like yelling "fire" in a crowded theater), not things that might be harmful to one's delicate sensibilities.
R0lyP0ly
+161|6655|USA

Dezerteagal5 wrote:

Pug wrote:

Ahh New York, the most conservative city in America.  What will they do next?
Sarcasm?  Cause NYC is an orgy of commies.......
Really, NY (and NYC) is one of the most liberal places in the known world.
Bull3t
stephen brule
+83|6303

Missionless wrote:

Bull3t wrote:

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

I don't, You don't get the point. People take it to seriously. When we can all just joke about it. Someone made the word up and decided this is going to be a racist slur.
beerface702
+65|6694|las vegas

RasorX wrote:

First off, it's a non-binding resolution.  Which essentially means, it has no meaning.   It's kinda like telling your parents when you're a teenager "Yeah, i promise i wont drink at the party."  10 Zima's later you're trying to figure out how to sneak back into your house.

So nothing is "banned".

The point of the resolution is that intellectually the politicians of New York felt the word nigger has no place in our society, which i agree with.  The word was born out of hatred and oppression, changing it's meaning to mean "close friend" doesn't change it's origins.
lol zima's

wtf
deeznutz1245
Connecticut: our chimps are stealin yo' faces.
+483|6494|Connecticut

Mekstizzle wrote:

Alright, Nigger is banned. What about nigga?
My nizzle
Malloy must go
P00R_M3
+19|6571|Yorkshire, England
Dude.... racial slurs are a pain in  the ass. I am P_issed and English and my mother country is a vary tolerent state of the USA. I'm happy to be human

Ciggie time

Last edited by P00R_M3 (2007-03-02 17:37:51)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard