Mason4Assassin444
retired
+552|6705|USA

I thought this was a well put together movie and recommend it for you guys to watch and toss around for debate.

Alot of people are interviewed and its pretty unbiased politically. If you've already seen it feel free to post your thoughts.

I did search to see if it had already been mentioned.

22:00 a piece by the way.

Last edited by Mason4Assassin444 (2007-02-26 21:20:16)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6815|PNW

Mason4Assassin444 wrote:

Alot of people are interviewed and its pretty unbiased politically. If you've already seen it feel free to post your thoughts.
Nice sentiments, but what could possibly come out of it but yet another political bash session? A Homer Simpson quote comes to mind but I can't place it.
acEofspadEs6313
Shiny! Let's be bad guys.
+102|6736|NAS Jacksonville, Florida
I watched it a few months ago. Very interesting watch.
Superglueman
+21|6403|The Great South Land
what a joke...NOTHING america does is unbiased......maybe unbiased towards america, but complete bias for everyone else
Mr.Pieeater
+116|6667|Cherry Pie
I thought that the first 3 parts of the video were great and well put, but the 4th video had a bit of bias in it.  Like the woman saying that we didn't go to Iraq to free the Iraqi people.  How does she know?  She doesn't, it is just an opinion.

The name of this video bothers me because it makes the US seem to be a giant corporation that only wants to make money and kill others to help itself.  The purpose of a military is to act defensively or offensively for a country's greater good and the worlds greater good.  Nothing these days is unbiased and/or corrupt in some way.  Take the UN for example, a group of countires put brought together after WWII to keep the world a peaceful place by having the ability to defend peoples rights around the world.  And then MANY people are involved in the Oil for Food Scandal including the French Ambassador for example.

I am a firm believer in the corporate machine and big business.  And I also trust my government, I trust that they will do their best to make decisions that will help ensure our country's survival and the greater good for the world.  Otherwise why are they there?  I pay my taxes without complaining and I find comfort in knowing that my money will go towards a bomb or a fighter jet or even a 50 cal bullet that will kill a terrorist and/or enemy of freedom and the American people.  I will work hard in the future to make more money and further give back to my country.

The United States is a great and giving country whether people like us or not.  We give Millions upon Billions of dollars of foreign aid and we have no problem doing so.  Many of the countries we provide to hate us, but they would not have the quality of life they have if it weren't for the US.  No country is perfect, but if you look at an overall picture the US has good in its heart.

Even if going to Iraq was not because of 9/11 as stated in the video, that doesn't mean that killing terrorists or insurgents that are against what the US is setting out to do is a bad thing.  We are giving the Iraqi people freedom and they already have had a democratic election which is a HUGE thing!  Good for them, I'm happy for their people.  And 50 years from now following a successful completetion of the war they will be happy for the change in their lives. 

Peace is not possible in this world, you either get busy living or get busy dying.  And you know what?  I'd rather live.  If that means fighting other people who want to kill me because of my way of life, then so be it.  Bring it on and we will put a 2,000 lbs bomb straight up your ass. 

Besides, among your choices for the most powerful country in the world isn't the United States a good choice?  Or would you rather have China a country that makes its own people disappear if they stand up against the government.  (Look up Tiananmen Square Tanks on google and the guy that is standing in front of those tanks can't be found.  He is gone... Wonder why...)

Anyway, great video.  I really enjoyed it.  God Bless America and God Bless everyone else who loves freedom and liberty. 

-Pie
Mr.Pieeater
+116|6667|Cherry Pie

Superglueman wrote:

what a joke...NOTHING america does is unbiased......maybe unbiased towards america, but complete bias for everyone else
You act as though Australia is perfect and does nothing with its own interest in mind.  Everyone and everything is biased.  And while the US does things other don't agree with, we also do good things for the rest of the world.  Like the $15.7 billion we donated to foreign aid in 2003 alone.  Where does Australia stand in foreign aid?  Or are you guys still a great country with citizens that have the right to get on the internet and complain about the US?? 

If aren't looking out for your own interests then you will have nothing but pain in your life.  Do you use money you made from your job on things like a computer and videogames?  Or do you donate it to charity?  We already know the answer to the question.

Side note:  Don't try to turn this around on me asking if I donate to charity, I'm not acting like my country is absolutely perfect. I admit flaws, but bias is all part of nationalism.  Then again, so is my choice of pies...  Mmmmmm, Cherry....

Last edited by Mr.Pieeater (2007-02-26 23:30:21)

usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6410|Columbus, Ohio
Please read the book " Because They Hate" to compliment this film.

Last edited by usmarine2007 (2007-02-27 05:37:43)

CannonFodder11b
Purple Heart Recipient
+73|6733|Fort Lewis WA
I fight because its habit forming.  There is no greater adrenaline rush then that of a fire fight.
Controlled Chaos is all it is.
Mason4Assassin444
retired
+552|6705|USA

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Mason4Assassin444 wrote:

Nice sentiments, but what could possibly come out of it but yet another political bash session? A Homer Simpson quote comes to mind but I can't place it.
Did you watch it?
GermanLegionaire
...performing headshots!
+46|6628|Hamburg / Germany
good to see videos like that. i think most of it is true...
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6448|North Carolina
"Why We Fight" is my favorite documentary.  It really puts things in perspective.

For the most part, war is done for the war profiteers -- not any ideal, national security, or humanitarian cause.

When people lose sight of this, the military industrial complex reigns supreme....  (like now).
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6410|Columbus, Ohio

Turquoise wrote:

"Why We Fight" is my favorite documentary.  It really puts things in perspective.

For the most part, war is done for the war profiteers -- not any ideal, national security, or humanitarian cause.

When people lose sight of this, the military industrial complex reigns supreme....  (like now).

usmarine2007 wrote:

Turquoise
O Canada

usmarine2007 wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

usmarine2007 wrote:

I'll check it out...  but would you mind presenting a significant part of the ideas within?  Like, can you remember anything that stands out in particular in defense of the military escalation we are currently in?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6815|PNW

Mason4Assassin444 wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Mason4Assassin444 wrote:

Did you watch it?
Yes, and I had to laugh at the Clinton quote at the beginning. The one about keeping strong. The rest of the film was irreversibly magnetized towards talking about the Bush administration and intermixing quotes with clips of Rumsfeld. It contradicts its obsession with the current administration by quoting someone stating that the system won't change in 2009.

Oh, whatever will people do for fun when there's no longer a Bush in office?

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2007-02-28 22:44:00)

I2elik
+12|6795|Perth, Western Australia

Mr.Pieeater wrote:

Superglueman wrote:

You act as though Australia is perfect and does nothing with its own interest in mind.  Everyone and everything is biased.  And while the US does things other don't agree with, we also do good things for the rest of the world.  Like the $15.7 billion we donated to foreign aid in 2003 alone.  Where does Australia stand in foreign aid?  Or are you guys still a great country with citizens that have the right to get on the internet and complain about the US?? 

If aren't looking out for your own interests then you will have nothing but pain in your life.  Do you use money you made from your job on things like a computer and videogames?  Or do you donate it to charity?  We already know the answer to the question.

Side note:  Don't try to turn this around on me asking if I donate to charity, I'm not acting like my country is absolutely perfect. I admit flaws, but bias is all part of nationalism.  Then again, so is my choice of pies...  Mmmmmm, Cherry....
You're implying that Australia does an insignificant amount of support towards foreign countries in need? We've had peacekeeping operations in the Pacific and South-East Asia for half a century now. So you US folks think you're right to say we do jack all in terms of foreign aid?

We don't even have a quarter of your population, and our Economy might be strong in local terms, but it's a grain of salt compared to Japan, China and the US. We do as much as we possibly can for nations around ours. What does the US do about problems around the world? It just throws money everywhere, not taking into account the possible corruption in the nation it's donating to, or giving it to charity organisations that deal with other nations. No, what you guys do is just invade the country, fuck everything up, then start the country's infrastructure up again, at the cost of soldier and civilian lives.

So don't make it seem as if my country simply doesn't give a crap about those around us.
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6410|Columbus, Ohio

Turquoise wrote:

usmarine2007 wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

usmarine2007 wrote:

I'll check it out...  but would you mind presenting a significant part of the ideas within?  Like, can you remember anything that stands out in particular in defense of the military escalation we are currently in?
JimmyBotswana
+82|6629|Montreal

usmarine2007 wrote:

if there was a movie called "why they hate" it would be complimented by a book called "because we fight."
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6410|Columbus, Ohio

JimmyBotswana wrote:

usmarine2007 wrote:

if there was a movie called "why they hate" it would be complimented by a book called "because we fight."
ya well...

got me.
Turquoise
O Canada

usmarine2007 wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

usmarine2007 wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

You know...  it's sad.  That woman was saying many insightful things until she mentioned Iran at the end.

Her suggestion for moderates in Islam to stand up against extremism was very noble and will hopefully be followed at some point.  However, she unfortunately resorts to fearmongering near the end of the clip.

Iran is way less of a threat than the American government would have you believe.  Ahmadinejad is very unpopular in Iran.  He's not going to be in power much longer, and his nuclear program has less to do with aggression than it does with defense.  With Israel now interested in doing air strikes on Iran, it makes perfect sense for them to develop nuclear weapons.  Iran wants to be powerful enough so that Israel can't do air strikes and expect to get away with it unscathed.

The things that Ahmadinejad has said concerning Israel have been very stupid, because they've added fuel to a fire that the American government wants to escalate.  There are many people in the American government looking for a reason to invade Iran -- Ahmadinejad's attitude may soon serve as part of that.  Yet, this entire conflict is unnecessary.  Iran is, comparatively speaking, one of the most advanced cultures in the Middle East.  They aren't the kind of country that needs to be invaded.

Pakistan is the country we should be worried about.  Again, invasion will hopefully not be necessary, but Musharraf is limited in his power over the extremist-plagued areas.
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6410|Columbus, Ohio

Turquoise wrote:

You know...  it's sad.  That woman was saying many insightful things until she mentioned Iran at the end.
That is like part 1 of 4.  But I see your point.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard