jord
+2,382|6691|The North, beyond the wall.
The spell check button is great for checking up the majority of words but it is for American English.If you're studying English then you might be making a few mistakes.

I tried to put that in a non offensive way,I was going to write British English but it didn't sound right.
confused
+10|6407|British Columbia

{XpLiCiTxX} wrote:

"You're" is a contraction of the words "You are".

See here. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/You're

Example:  You're an idiot if you don't know the difference between these two words.

"Your" is a possessive pronoun.

See here.  http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Your

Example: Can you hand me those papers on the table to your right?

What about using both in the same sentence?

Example:  If you're looking for your wallet you left it in your coat.

It angers me that people still don't know the fucking difference between the two.  I guess this is just one of my online pet peeves, but it's just annoying to me.  Just like I hate 'leet' speak.  I do, however, use 'lol' and such online.  Hypocrite?  No.  I just choose to type in a manner in which it's not difficult to read.
There are many grammatical errors on this forum.  Some are annoying; some are not too bad.  The one thing I really dislike is "I've got".

Just to be a pain, you missed the comma separating your dependent and independent clauses.
Ubersturmbannfuhrer
I am a fucking homosexual
+211|6619|Parainen, Finland
I guess that this is something we all have to live with.
You cannot require that everyone speaks perfect English. I can´t and will never do that.

But if you speak "I have a motorsykel and why all snow is on traintrack that is some test" -English,  you shouldn´t even bother to write here. I can live with reading posts about people having a few problems with "you´re " "your" and "is" "are" etc but when it goes down to "Me has two car and I are drive wery badd" -English I leave the fucking thread.

But there are not many of these threads, thank God for that!!!  Most people that don´t know how to write satisfies themselves with just reading!!! And I respect that!!!

https://www.acidpit.org/albums/Canceo/retard.jpg
[F7F7]KiNG_KaDaFFHi
Why walk when you can dance?
+77|6600|sWEEDen
How about "ask" and "axe" ...the ugly spawn of rap?
jOiNt_frAGGeR
+11|6666
or just another one..

example: i have 2 PC' s ~.~
PuN!sHer
+18|6572
{XpLiCiTxX}, your very smart!

Greenboi
+14|6380
mistaking you're and your, Their there and they're, where, were, and we're piss me off to no end, its a pet hate of mine.

@ jOiNt_frAGGeR: 100% with you on that

I also hate the kids on the internet who insist on typing in this new language that has no vowels, seriously, how had is it to type "cool" instead of "kl"

/rant over
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6704|Devon, England
It doesn't hurt me to see it, but it makes me feel better because I know I can spot it and that I would have done it right myself.

Laugh at the people who do it wrong.
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6578|Area 51

{XpLiCiTxX} wrote:

Example:  You're an idiot if you don't know the difference between these two words.

It angers me that people still don't know the fucking difference between the two.  I guess this is just one of my online pet peeves, but it's just annoying to me.  Just like I hate 'leet' speak.  I do, however, use 'lol' and such online.  Hypocrite?  No.  I just choose to type in a manner in which it's not difficult to read.
Well have you ever thaught about the fact that there are other countries that DO NOT have the ENGLISH LANGUAGE as the spoken language, and so they do not know the difference between your, you're. And even so what does it matter? Unless you were talking about English people misspelling this, than ignore else, stop whining and accept the fact that people do not speak perfect English..
Volatile
+252|6717|Sextupling in Empire

Unless YOU'RE posting in D&ST then who really cares?

This is a video game forum that has young ones and those who barely know english(second language), if it bothers you then go find a mature community that only has members who are proficient in english/grammar.
{XpLiCiTxX}
Ohh skeet skeet
+143|6483|New York

RDMC(2) wrote:

{XpLiCiTxX} wrote:

Well have you ever thaught about the fact that there are other countries that DO NOT have the ENGLISH LANGUAGE as the spoken language, and so they do not know the difference between your, you're. And even so what does it matter? Unless you were talking about English people misspelling this, than ignore else, stop whining and accept the fact that people do not speak perfect English..
Maybe part of the reason I posted this topic was for those who don't know the difference will learn from it and not make the mistake again.  Nevermind that, RDMC(2) wants to flame me.

Volatile_Squirrel wrote:

Unless YOU'RE posting in D&ST then who really cares?

This is a video game forum that has young ones and those who barely know english(second language), if it bothers you then go find a mature community that only has members who are proficient in english/grammar.
No.
Paco_the_Insane
Phorum Phantom
+244|6658|Ohio
your good.
Retalliation[1337]
Robin Hood ---> "u got arrownd"
+51|6487|Belgium
Hehe kind of funny I'm Belgian and I can be better at grammer than the Yanks
Yes, I do appreciate correct grammar and spelling.(punctuation too)
It sometimes may be easier to use teh l33tsp34k or lolz lang but not too often, it's like smoking Jane .

Lolz me can do grammmaarz me .jk

Last edited by Retalliation[1337] (2007-02-27 12:03:32)

max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6580|NYC / Hamburg

While you're at it, why don't you explain the difference between "dual" and "duel"? As far as I know there aren't any fighting CPUs out there.

Last edited by max (2007-02-27 12:11:09)

once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6749|Salt Lake City

max wrote:

While you're at it, why don't you explain the difference between "dual" and "duel"? As far as I know there aren't any fighting CPUs out there.
Haven't you heard?  The quad core Intel's are fighting the lowly dual cores in a duel to the death. 
{XpLiCiTxX}
Ohh skeet skeet
+143|6483|New York

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

max wrote:

Haven't you heard?  The quad core Intel's are fighting the lowly dual cores in a duel to the death. 
Touche!
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6578|Area 51

{XpLiCiTxX} wrote:

RDMC(2) wrote:

{XpLiCiTxX} wrote:

Maybe part of the reason I posted this topic was for those who don't know the difference will learn from it and not make the mistake again.  Nevermind that, RDMC(2) wants to flame me.
I didn't want to flame you, from what I understood was from your post, you were flaming on people that didn't speak perfect english
klassekock
Proud Born Loser
+68|6599|Sweden
Glad to hear that more people than me are getting a bit annoyed by this new "shiiitspeek" and bad grammar. Hell, i have english as my second language but i can still produce a sentence more correct than some fluently speaking british or american people(not generalizing here though).

As a matter of fact, i think it's a disgrase and a offence on your own intelligence when you don't write or speak properly, when you do have the ability.
And you're making it harder for me to fully understand you as well, which further opens up for bigger possibilities of misunderstanding in a conversation. And that can be difficult in "debate and serious talk" or instance. So please, for us non english speaking members of this forum, try to type as correct as possible.
-=raska=-
Canada's French Frog
+123|6639|Quebec city, Canada

klassekock wrote:

Glad to hear that more people than me are getting a bit annoyed by this new "shiiitspeek" and bad grammar. Hell, i have english as my second language but i can still produce a sentence more correct than some fluently speaking british or american people(not generalizing here though).

As a matter of fact, i think it's a disgrase and a offence on your own intelligence when you don't write or speak properly, when you do have the ability.
And you're making it harder for me to fully understand you as well, which further opens up for bigger possibilities of misunderstanding in a conversation. And that can be difficult in "debate and serious talk" or instance. So please, for us non english speaking members of this forum, try to type as correct as possible.
This is true..

I personally make efforts to write my english properly, and I think that I do better than some guys who have english as their mother tongue.

And... it seems that some rules I learnt at school don't apply here like for example, some people say "I learned" but I was taught that it's "I learnt". Maybe its just american slang or something ?
The Stillhouse Kid
Licensed Televulcanologist
+126|6655|Deep In The South Of Texas
So what your saying is that you're pet peeve is when people show they're ignorance by not using proper grammer, and that their should be something done about it? Rediculous!
klassekock
Proud Born Loser
+68|6599|Sweden

The Stillhouse Kid wrote:

So what your saying is that you're pet peeve is when people show they're ignorance by not using proper grammer, and that their should be something done about it? Rediculous!
Now here we have a flagrant example of misunderstanding. You are from Texas and i can't still understand what you have said? Please explain the following because i can't figure out if it's american slang or what?

- "you're pet peeve is when"   What the hell is this?  Klingon?
- "Rediculous"   Shit man. even i can spell that word correctly......
Ratzinger
+43|6405|Wollongong, NSW, Australia

-=raska=- wrote:

klassekock wrote:

As a matter of fact, i think it's a disgrase
And... it seems that some rules I learnt at school don't apply here like for example, some people say "I learned" but I was taught that it's "I learnt". Maybe its just american slang or something ?
I believe the correct usage is "I have learned", "learnt" is not formally correct, but widely used.

I think its a disgrase (sic) too....
{XpLiCiTxX}
Ohh skeet skeet
+143|6483|New York

The Stillhouse Kid wrote:

I love irony too.
Hurricane
Banned
+1,153|6643|Washington, DC

The people that annoy me the most are the 'half and half' variety. You know, the ones who will say something like "Yeah I really do not want to do that assignment b/c it's boring." What the fuck? If you're going to type out everything else, make that tiny effort to type 'because'. Besides, it's not as if it's killing you to do so; I'm sure typing correctly and intelligently will burn more calories than:

"lol ur funy"

And I have no problem with ESL (English as a second language) people. If you're ESL, then good on you for taking the effort to learn a language. What is just sad is the amount of Americans, Canadians, Brits, Australians, New Zealanders, South Africans, and basically any other person in an English-speaking country that can't use proper grammar and spelling. I mean, I don't care if you make a few mistakes here and there. Most of us do. I know I do. But when you type worse than a Norwegian (just using you folks as an example) who just started learning English a year ago, you're either a lazy fuck or you jack off during English class while drinking whiskey.

edit: Klassekock, a "pet peeve" is something that annoys you. It's almost always used when referring to a small personal annoyance. Everybody thinks that cdogmn is annoying, but only some people think that using "its" instead of "it's" is annoying. That's a pet peeve.

Last edited by Hurricane (2007-02-27 14:44:26)

Cougar
Banned
+1,962|6777|Dallas
Your....you're, this is one of those grammatical errors I usually let slide.  I know alot of people and sometimes myself, will get the two confused while typing and not realize it until they proof read what they typed.  I made this exact mistake on the title of the "If Your Asian, This Guy Is A Better Asian Than You" thread.  I didn't notice the error until after the thread had been posted, but does this make me an idiot or a dumbass?  No, it means I made a very simple and easy to make mistake. 

Either way, I know that my grammar is better than 95% of the people here just for the mere fact that I actually try to use good grammar when I type.  If you try, that's all I ask of you.  If you don't try, then as far as I'm concerned, you're a dumbass.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard