Gawwad
My way or Haddaway!
+212|6694|Espoo, Finland
SOLVED

My case was a broken/fried memory slot which lead to a memory error at windows start up. Moving the memory to another slot solved the problem.

This problem started yesterday while overcloking. I increased the core speed by 2MHz at a time and ran a benchmark between each increase. At one point the system started locking up at the windows loading screen so I 
set my processor to run at stock speed to make sure I don't damage anything. I booted again only to get the same situation, stuck at a black screen after watching the windows loading screen for a while.

I have my windows installed on a IDE drive and I also have a S-ATA drive in place. When I disconnected the S-ATA I was able to get to windows yesterday evening. Today. when I came home and started my PC, it hang on the loading screen. It seems to be stuck on a loop, the windows screen is shown for a while and then it restarts.

I have restarted my BIOS with the jumper as well as reverted to factory settings in the BIOS, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

I also once was thrown in to BIOS at start up and given a warning that my CPU was set to minimal frequency due to the system hanging at start up.

My system
MOBO - ASUS A7V600-X
CPU - AMD 3000+ Barton
RAM - 1GB (2x512) 400Mhz
GPU - GeForce 6800LE
HDD1 - 120GB IDE
HDD2 - 320GB S-ATA
Running Windows XP SP2

I'm really confused with this one and would apreciate any help!

Thanks!

(didn't find anything with search. please forward me to an existing thread if you ound one)

Last edited by Gawwad (2007-03-02 09:05:08)

MagikTrik
yes.....but your still gay
+138|6379|Pittsburgh, PA USA
Now that's how to post a help request in the tech section! +1 for you. I really can't think of what it would be but I'll definitely search around before I gotta leave.

I imagine you've tried removing the CMOS battery for 15 seconds already though?
The Stillhouse Kid
Licensed Televulcanologist
+126|6651|Deep In The South Of Texas
Try booting in Safe Mode with F8. If that let's you get into Windows, reboot again with F8 and select Last Known Good Configuration.
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6745|Salt Lake City

The Stillhouse Kid wrote:

Try booting in Safe Mode with F8. If that let's you get into Windows, reboot again with F8 and select Last Known Good Configuration.
That was also going to be my suggestion, so I'll 2nd this.
Slayer
---hates you
+1,137|6765|Hell, p.o box 666

3rd
Gawwad
My way or Haddaway!
+212|6694|Espoo, Finland

MagikTrik wrote:

Now that's how to post a help request in the tech section! +1 for you. I really can't think of what it would be but I'll definitely search around before I gotta leave.

I imagine you've tried removing the CMOS battery for 15 seconds already though?
Thanks
Actually I have only removed the battery for the time that I reseted the BIOS with the jumper. I don't know if having it of for 15sec has an effect on this MOBO. Going to give it a shot though.

EDIT: Didn't work

I've already tried every start up option through f8 and none of them have worked. Thanks for the input though!
And remember that I was actually able to get windows to start properly once when I disconnected the other HD (It is still disconnected).

Last edited by Gawwad (2007-02-27 09:23:04)

The Stillhouse Kid
Bummer none of that worked. Sounds like Windows got corrupted, you might have to do a reinstall.
Buckles
Cheeky Keen
+329|6565|Kent, UK
run a test on the SATA drive then, or connect it to another computer if you got one handy and try it.
The Stillhouse Kid
It's not the SATA but the IDE drive that's the problem:

Gawwad wrote:

I have my windows installed on a IDE drive...
...I was actually able to get windows to start properly once when I disconnected the other HD (It is still disconnected).
Gawwad
My way or Haddaway!
+212|6694|Espoo, Finland

It's not the SATA but the IDE drive that's the problem:

Gawwad wrote:

I have my windows installed on a IDE drive...
...I was actually able to get windows to start properly once when I disconnected the other HD (It is still disconnected).
That's right. Although now it doesn't boot even with the SATA drive disconnected. It restarts after a about 5 seconds in the windows loading screen. I tried the HDD on another PC and it booted to windows succesfully.
But as I said, I got it to boot on my PC once too.

Weird stuff
Gawwad
My way or Haddaway!
+212|6694|Espoo, Finland
Apparently the problem was with a broken memory slot on my MOBO (only 1 of 3 luckily as I only have 2 sticks )
I finally got an error message, or more specifically a memory error blue screen, while trying to repair my windows installation. I just took one stick out, booted and it worked. Then I tried the other stick in the same slot and luckily it worked too. I just moved one stick out of the broken slot and the system is running fine again!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard