Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6732|SE London

usmarine2007 wrote:

No Varegg, I think you miss what some of us are saying.  Some of us have a problem with the "do as I say, not as I do" BS.
Strange that those of you who hold that view seem to agree totally with the US's "Do as we say, not do as we do" attitude to foreign policy.

Last edited by Bertster7 (2007-02-26 07:39:54)

Braddock
Agitator
+916|6441|Éire
Haven't seen the film, many of the critics on this side of the water have said it's an important documentary but not necessarily a great documentary. I agree that the whole Oscar ceremony with all of it's pomp is totally hypocritical but I can't believe the people who are posting here that still try to argue that we are not in some way connected with the global warming problem. It reminds me of the problem in Africa where a large majority of people still try to argue that AIDS and HIV are still not definitely linked. Even if all of the facts aren't in a lot of study would dictate that we are indeed in many ways responsible for the climate problems affecting the world today. Instead of pointing fingers at one element of society over another maybe we should all start to think about the legacy we'll be leaving for following generations.

'Why should I stop driving my SUV, Big industries churn out more pollution?' ...why not try cutting down on both?
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6961|Nårvei

usmarine2007 wrote:

No Varegg, I think you miss what some of us are saying.  Some of us have a problem with the "do as I say, not as I do" BS.
Okay, so lets all us polute as much as we can just because Gore takes a jet to spread his message !
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
sfarrar33
Halogenoalkane
+57|6769|InGerLand
*cries* oh god no more global warming, has this not been done to death already?!?! i was forced to watch this pile of toss 3 times
ok yes theres global warming fine thank you very much now go do something about your self mate instead of telling other people to
and even from a documentary point of view its crap
for those who havn't seen it, its more Gore looking serious, and going around giving these speeches, i mean what was the point of that speech he gives in china?! to say he has been to china and this saved the planet? the only facts he gave were not in that speech but in the car later and voiced over the top of him (by him) and it was all really really boring shit that most people know anyway (i.e China has a big coal industry, well no no one knew that...) and theres more of these speeches and 'clever' looks than there are facts that people can use and relate to, and then theres that last half hour of death by power point, i think the only thing the people in that room tuned into was the [bad] joke about the frog.

i'm starting to understand why so many american forum members here are conservative when the liberal alternative is people like him.

/rant
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6518|Columbus, Ohio

Varegg wrote:

usmarine2007 wrote:

Okay, so lets all us polute as much as we can just because Gore takes a jet to spread his message !
No, not what I am saying, and you know it.  I think him and his buddies would deserve more credit if they actually did what they were preaching.
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6518|Columbus, Ohio

Bertster7 wrote:

usmarine2007 wrote:

Strange that those of you who hold that view seem to agree totally with the US's "Do as we say, not do as we do" attitude to foreign policy.
I don't agree with most of our foreign policy.  Then again, I do not have access to all the information they do either.
too_money2007
+145|6459|Keller, Tx
You can't talk that way about the man who single handedly defeated Manbearpig!!!
https://smithellis.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/08/Manbearpig_Drawing.JPG

Last edited by too_money2007 (2007-02-26 07:52:31)

Mason4Assassin444
retired
+552|6813|USA

usmarine2007 wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

usmarine2007 wrote:

I don't agree with most of our foreign policy.  Then again, I do not have access to all the information they do either.
Its loss/loss either way for him. Its Al Gore. Even if he practiced what he preached, its Al Gore. You guys would still shit all over him.
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6518|Columbus, Ohio

Mason4Assassin444 wrote:

Its loss/loss either way for him. Its Al Gore. Even if he practiced what he preached, its Al Gore. You guys would still shit all over him.
Wrong.  If he flew on a Southwest flight and drove a hybrid car, I would respect his little documentary.  Same goes for the hollyweird folk.
Varegg
+2,206|6961|Nårvei

sfarrar33 wrote:

*cries* oh god no more global warming, has this not been done to death already?!?! i was forced to watch this pile of toss 3 times
ok yes theres global warming fine thank you very much now go do something about your self mate instead of telling other people to
for those who havn't seen it, its more Gore looking serious, and going around giving these speeches, i mean what was the point of that speech he gives in china?! to say he has been to china and this saved the planet? the only facts he gave were not in that speech but in the car later and voiced over the top of him (by him) and it was all really really boring shit that most people know anyway (i.e China has a big coal industry, well no no one knew that...) and theres more of these speeches and 'clever' looks than there are facts that people can use and relate to, and then theres that last half hour of death by power point, i think the only thing the people in that room tuned into was the [bad] joke about the frog.

i'm starting to understand why so many american forum members here are conservative when the liberal alternative is people like him.

/rant
Reading out of this post it seriously doesn`t seem like you have watched the movie or you didn`t understand it, if you are unable to grasp the powerpoint presentations in that movie and are unable to understand what 2500 leading scientists have just reported to the UN you need to get your school money returned !
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Varegg
+2,206|6961|Nårvei

usmarine2007 wrote:

Varegg wrote:

usmarine2007 wrote:

No, not what I am saying, and you know it.  I think him and his buddies would deserve more credit if they actually did what they were preaching.
Al Gore have done more that enough with his work in this field for a bloody amount of years and he started his interest about the issue way before it became popular to do so, that's enough for anyone to show some respect and credit for his work !
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6518|Columbus, Ohio

Varegg wrote:

Al Gore have done more that enough with his work in this field for a bloody amount of years and he started his interest about the issue way before it became popular to do so, that's enough for anyone to show some respect and credit for his work !
So if I made a documentary about the disgusting way animals are killed and processed for human consumption, yet continue to eat hamburgers and steak, I deserve respect?
Mason4Assassin444
retired
+552|6813|USA

usmarine2007 wrote:

Mason4Assassin444 wrote:

Wrong.  If he flew on a Southwest flight and drove a hybrid car, I would respect his little documentary.  Same goes for the hollyweird folk.
On the enviroment issue, hipocrites are on both sides,

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2006/04/2 … 19954.html

But our whole country is a bunch of hypocrites.
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6518|Columbus, Ohio

Mason4Assassin444 wrote:

Yes, we are.  And so is the world.
Mason4Assassin444
retired
+552|6813|USA

usmarine2007 wrote:

Mason4Assassin444 wrote:

Yes, we are.  And so is the world.
So why hate Al Gore for being a hypocrite? Everyones doing it. Its the cool thing. A conservative President spending out the ass, chairman of the House Caucus on Missing and Exploited Children trying to exploit children....

Guess we can all pick and choose eh?
sfarrar33
Halogenoalkane
+57|6769|InGerLand

Varegg wrote:

sfarrar33 wrote:

/rant
Reading out of this post it seriously doesn`t seem like you have watched the movie or you didn`t understand it, if you are unable to grasp the powerpoint presentations in that movie and are unable to understand what 2500 leading scientists have just reported to the UN you need to get your school money returned !
haha oh dear i shall put it into bold and caps then shall i "FROM A DOCUMENTARY POINT OF VIEW"
and yes i did get the power points in it
but whats the point in them "China is here, Europe is here, USA is all the way up there"
right yes Mr Gore, thats a coloured line you havn't said where that carbon comes from and you havn't said how to stop it only that it can be stopped.

Varegg wrote:

where the hell have you been i mean what about greenpeace for a start?
all of this stuff has come up in the past many a time it is nothing new and people have been trying to do stuff about it for years, in the 80's for example there was a big scare that we were going to enter a miniature ice age because of this stuff.
America might be relatively new to global warming but it definatly isn't spearheading it and nor did it start it
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6732|SE London

sfarrar33 wrote:

haha oh dear i shall put it into bold and caps then shall i "FROM A DOCUMENTARY POINT OF VIEW"
but whats the point in them "China is here, Europe is here, USA is all the way up there"
right yes Mr Gore, thats a coloured line you havn't said where that carbon comes from and you havn't said how to stop it only that it can be stopped.
Actually he did. Perhaps if you'd been listening - it's really quite simple - emit less carbon. The whole point of saying, China is here, Europe is here etc, was from the point of emissions standards. Stricter standards = less carbon emissions. The whole point of the film is to try to convince people of the very real need to emit fewer greenhouse gases and consumer forcing is possibly the most powerfull tool to actually get serious reductions in emissions in an economically viable way.
Varegg
+2,206|6961|Nårvei

usmarine2007 wrote:

Varegg wrote:

So if I made a documentary about the disgusting way animals are killed and processed for human consumption, yet continue to eat hamburgers and steak, I deserve respect?
If you made a point out of only eating hamburgers and steak from "humanly" killed animals yes you would acomplish just that, but that`s hardly a just statement in this issue is it ?

So you mean Gore should have to ride around on a horse or walk on his feet when travelling the globe to hold his conferences to try and convince millions about the effects of global warming and that its not to late to turn the effect if we act now, does the time limit afford a slow pace movement ?

I really thought better of your reasoning usmarine, cause your arguments only backfires on itself ....
Varegg
+2,206|6961|Nårvei

sfarrar33 wrote:

Varegg wrote:

sfarrar33 wrote:

/rant

Varegg wrote:

all of this stuff has come up in the past many a time it is nothing new and people have been trying to do stuff about it for years, in the 80's for example there was a big scare that we were going to enter a miniature ice age because of this stuff.
America might be relatively new to global warming but it definatly isn't spearheading it and nor did it start it
So because Greenpeace stated the obvious 20 years ago and got overlooked gives you the right to overlook Gore`s documentary and the opinion of 2500 scientists ?

What a sharp observation !

America didn`t start it so it`s not Americas business to help end it ? ... are you totally deranged ?
sfarrar33
Halogenoalkane
+57|6769|InGerLand

Bertster7 wrote:

sfarrar33 wrote:

Actually he did. Perhaps if you'd been listening - it's really quite simple - emit less carbon. The whole point of saying, China is here, Europe is here etc, was from the point of emissions standards. Stricter standards = less carbon emissions. The whole point of the film is to try to convince people of the very real need to emit fewer greenhouse gases and consumer forcing is possibly the most powerfull tool to actually get serious reductions in emissions in an economically viable way.
oh for the love of god...
i don't fart graphite and neither do countries
yes america releases a lot of carbon emissions this he said he did not say where it comes from, is this industry, is this cars, is this boats, is this planes, is it power stations, is it your compost heap in the garden

where do i go to find out if my car is the most carbon efficient car that there is, ok so biofuels exist but i've never seen one in this country that isn't a prototype so thats no good is it

the only useful global warming advice i have got has been from the bbc and not from any documentary or school thing
i.e buy more fruit thats in season in the country you live in
its simple, it can be exanded upon easily if anyone wants to know more, but its a really easy life style change that if everyone did would cut down on carbon emissions significantly

In Gore's documentary he didn't give any information like that at all
Mason4Assassin444
retired
+552|6813|USA
Just another thing to throw in here.

I just paid my car off, and the next auto in my driveway will be a hybrid or "green" car. Because of the environment? No, because I get a fat ass tax break for having one.
sfarrar33
Halogenoalkane
+57|6769|InGerLand

Varegg wrote:

sfarrar33 wrote:

Varegg wrote:

Varegg wrote:

So because Greenpeace stated the obvious 20 years ago and got overlooked gives you the right to overlook Gore`s documentary and the opinion of 2500 scientists ?

What a sharp observation !

America didn`t start it so it`s not Americas business to help end it ? ... are you totally deranged ?
wtf? when did i say i didn't believe in global warming, i just wish people would stop saying it was going to kill us all like they were headless chickens and do something more useful with their time
i wonder if you even know the names of one of those 2500 scientists... (thats just me poking fun though and going off topic)
i am saying that Gore's documentary is crap, yes it has a message and an important one, it just does not deliver it right at all
crimson_grunt
Shitty Disposition (apparently)
+214|6805|Teesside, UK

sfarrar33 wrote:

the only useful global warming advice i have got has been from the bbc and not from any documentary or school thing
its simple, it can be exanded upon easily if anyone wants to know more, but its a really easy life style change that if everyone did would cut down on carbon emissions significantly

20 seconds using google and i found the website that accompanies the documentary and it contains a shit load of changes you can make at home, while traveling and how you can try and make a difference.

http://www.climatecrisis.net/
sfarrar33
Halogenoalkane
+57|6769|InGerLand

crimson_grunt wrote:

sfarrar33 wrote:

20 seconds using google and i found the website that accompanies the documentary and it contains a shit load of changes you can make at home, while traveling and how you can try and make a difference.

http://www.climatecrisis.net/
oh i know that this information exists but it isn't in gores documentary where it should be
how many people did watch his documentary and go and find this?
you yourself make it sound like its the first time you went and found this website
Varegg
+2,206|6961|Nårvei

sfarrar33 wrote:

oh for the love of god...
i don't fart graphite and neither do countries
yes america releases a lot of carbon emissions this he said he did not say where it comes from, is this industry, is this cars, is this boats, is this planes, is it power stations, is it your compost heap in the garden
Yes they all do, the big diffrence is that the compost heap is calculated into the 97% the earth is producing itself. Your car amongst others is in the 3% group that tips the scale of what nature itself can`t absorb back into nature and manufacture oksygen.

sfarrar33 wrote:

where do i go to find out if my car is the most carbon efficient car that there is, ok so biofuels exist but i've never seen one in this country that isn't a prototype so thats no good is it
The smaller the engine the less carbone dioxyde it produces, its so simple as if the total amounts of cars in the world was 0,3 metric cubic smaller that would solve much of the problem, buying a hybrid car like the Toyota Prius is the way to go as far as technology has come to emission control. Biofuels sounds like a good thing but isn`t as good as Hybrid just yet !

And why is that ? .... biofuels like "Raps" (not shure what that yellow plant is called in English) could compete if it wasn`t for these factors:

*Almost all of the biofuel produced by this plant is made in South America and the transportation with oilfuled ships around the globe would not create less emissions.
*The "Raps" would if not harvested become a part of the 97% emissions the globe produces itself but what happends when we harvest it ? ..... "Raps" is a quick growing plant that can be harvested 4 or maybe even 5 times pr year in South America witch again means the normal emmision from rotting plants would now be 4 to 5 higher from the same amount of land !

sfarrar33 wrote:

BBC is an exellent source of good information, and the example you just mentioned are one of the few ways to rethink your daily contribution.

sfarrar33 wrote:

Why not do some investigation on your own, it`s a good thing to seek information and not just wait for a solution to appear on its own ..... it`s one of the downsides of the western society today to keep from having an own opinion and ask the right questions to the right people - wright a letter to a politician where you live and ask him what he and his friends are doing about the issue !

Like Gore stated in his movie: Wright a letter to your congressman and ask what he does about green house gases, if he doesn`t answer run for congress !

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard