The oldest chav in the world
+2,423|6713|Cardiff, Capital of Wales
The 2007 Cricket World Cup "kicks off" in the West Indies on Tuesday 13th March.

There will be many warm up games ahead of this when fans of the various countries will be keeping their fingers crossed none of their favorite players pick up any niggles.

There will be 4 groups with the top 2 teams from each group qualifying towards the "Second Stage - Super 8".

You then have the Semi-Final and the final to be played on April 28th in Barbados.

Teams consisting of:

Group A

Australia, South Africa, Scotland & Netherlands

Group B

Sri Lanka, India, Bangladesh and Bermuda

Group C

New Zeland, England, Kenya and Canada

Group D

Pakistan, West Indies, Zimbabwe and Ireland

Personally I'm looking forward to the tournament, the Asian Countries are fanatical about their cricket as much as Americans are about their football and the UK is about their soccer.  This years tournament will be accessable more than ever due to the ever growing media, ie Internet, TV and Radio.  Below are some good sites to check out various stats and facts about the WC and Cricket in general.

http://cricketworldcup.indya.com/index.htm

http://www.cricket-worldwide.com/

http://www.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/WORLD_CUPS/WC2007/

Many more can be found by simply googling the words "Cricket World Cup".  If your "lucky" enough to live in the UK like myself I will be listening to much of the action on http://www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive/sport/ as the tournament draws closer links will become available.

I don't think the WC itself will be the one horse race that it looked about a month ago as England have found some form, Australia have been rocked by some unfortunate injuries (awwwwwww) and the Pakistani's have been batting well.  You can't rule out a young yet inexperienced home West Indian team either, all in all it stands to be one of the best World Cups held so far.

My money would be in one of the following:

Pakistan, England or New Zeland however, only a fool will rule out the Aussies (pictured below as current holders)

https://www.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/PICTURES/DB/032003/043644.1.jpg

Last edited by 1927 (2007-02-20 03:33:22)

mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6761|Sydney, Australia

1927 wrote:

Pakistan, England or New Zeland however, only a fool will rule out the Aussies (pictured below as current holders)

http://www.cricinfo.com/link_to_databas … 3644.1.jpg
I'd be half inclined to rule Australia out at this current point. We have lost the last 5 matches (I think it's 5). The last 3 to NZ to lose the Chappell-Hadlee series (3-0, NZ).

Not the best considering that we were ranked no.1 two months ago.

Mcminty.
cospengle
+140|6526|Armidale, NSW, Australia
Yeah, after the Aussies lost the second match in the NZ series, the South Africans took over the top spot in the One Day International (ODI) rankings.

Hey, how come Pakistan gets a free ride into the super 8?
TeamZephyr
Maintaining My Rage Since 1975
+124|6569|Hillside, Melbourne, Australia
Australia will only win if we get a new bowling attack that doesn't include horrible bowlers like

-Shane Watson (I know he is there to bat but DON'T GIVE HIM THE FUCKING BALL)
-Glenn McGrath (Should've retired with Warney at teh end of teh 5th Test, but had to go for personal glory and keep out a good bowling like Ben Hilfenhaus)
-Brad Hogg (No wickets in the Chappell-Hadlee, crap)
-Shaun Tait (I'm not a big fan of extras being given away in every over)

Mitchell Johnson is average at best. I can't believe that they left out Stuart Clark from the squad, he is easily Australia's most consistent bowler. And the coup by the selectors to leave out Hilfenhaus was disgraceful. In his only game during the One Day Series he took 3 wickets and kept the run rate down. Then he was dropped and didn't get another game for the series? Why? Because he would pose a threat to McGrath for a spot in the team.

Get rid of no hopers like Hogg and Watson who bowl endless pies and bring in someone who can actually keep the rate down.

My money for the World Cup is the South Africans, they have the goods and the form to carry them to victory. Second will be Pakistan.

Anyone who puts money on the Poms is stupid.
The Magic Mullet
+240|6464
I have a sneaky feeling that New Zealand could reach the final.
Brett Lee is out of the WC.
^*AlphA*^
F*ckers
+3,135|6778|The Hague, Netherlands

Group A: Australia, South Africa, Scotland & Netherlands
We play cricket ? damn..... well Im sure that  that Netherlands team knows as much about cricket as me...... (nothing)
https://bf3s.com/sigs/36eac2cb6af70a43508fd8d1c93d3201f4e23435.png
elz_17
+0|6337|Brisvegas
if we had brett lee, clark and haifenhouser (whatever his damn name is ) and also symmonds on the bat, i think australia would definitley be in with a chance....

but i think the selectors must be toking a bit of sticky hooch, which is all cool but they aren't looking at anything that is good for winning.
panda-pat
+10|6527|Sydney, Australia
13th march my b'day woo!
Anyway, as much as i'd like the Aussies to win again i'm very doubtful about it.
Lee is probably out and they've got no chance
panda-pat

elz_17 wrote:

if we had brett lee, clark and haifenhouser (whatever his damn name is ) and also symmonds on the bat, i think australia would definitley be in with a chance....

but i think the selectors must be toking a bit of sticky hooch, which is all cool but they aren't looking at anything that is good for winning.
Hilfenhaus
delta4bravo*nl*
Dutch Delight
+68|6792
maybe a fun sport to play but boring as hell to watch
panda-pat
I like watching it, like tennis and golf, fun to play boring as fark to watch
1927(h)
Gilchrist is back in as his Mrs has had their baby early.  This obviosuly makes Strayers chances of winning much better. I know reckon they have as much of a shout as Pakistan, New Zealand, South Africa and England.
The Paki's have 3 players out, Razzaq, and 2 other fella's I can pronounce, basically I now think they have had it.

My latest predictions are now, Australia, NZ, England or S. Africa to take up the semis and obviously any 1 of them to win with the underdogs being NZ.
cospengle

TeamZephyr wrote:

Anyone who puts money on the Poms is stupid.
or a Pom, oh wait...

The Magic Mullet wrote:

I have a sneaky feeling that New Zealand could reach the final.
I have a sneaky feeling you could be right.

1927 wrote:

Brett Lee is out of the WC.
sux

1927(h) wrote:

Gilchrist is back in as his Mrs has had their baby early.  This obviosuly makes Strayers chances of winning much better. I know reckon they have as much of a shout as Pakistan, New Zealand, South Africa and England.
Well he was never going to miss the finals anyway (and either were Australia). He's been batting like Merv Huges lately anyway.

1927 wrote:

The Paki's have 3 players out, Razzaq, and 2 other fella's I can pronounce, basically I now think they have had it.
Yep. Shoaib and Asif

1927 wrote:

My latest predictions are now, Australia, NZ, England or S. Africa to take up the semis and obviously any 1 of them to win with the underdogs being NZ.
Top 4 is about right, but one of Pak, SL or India might also make it, but I doubt it. Also, I don't think you can say NZ are the underdogs with Oram saying he'll have his finger amputated if it means he can play.
Merv Huges - Get hold of Billy Birminghams "Its just not cricket" to hear Bill Lawry go off on one about him, funny as fuck.

Big Merv gets a hattrick at the MCG and Lawry looses it at the greatness at his hero.  Tony Greig giving Merv the put down saying he fat etc, Lawry saying how he'll pass on his "kind" words.

The ball gets stuck in Big Mervs, Big guts and thats out.

Burried in his guts?? That the best C&B you ever wanna see my friend, and dont you fucking forget it.

Merv gets the hatrick, lawry goes nuts and ends it with "He's a hero that man, the crowd love him, the MCG love him, the Australian team love him, I love him, get him up here, I wanna boff him, Merv, Merv Merv".

I have tried to get links of this stuff but I cant find any anywhere other than pics of cd's cases but it is out to download on peer2peer networks.  They havent brought anything new out for a while but cricket lovers of my age will love the stuff, they take the piss outta some of the Indian Names all the way through.
BVC
+325|6735
One things for sure, theres going to be some good cricket on TV then!!
TheDarkRaven
ATG's First Disciple
+263|6664|Birmingham, UK
Now, New Zealand or South Africa are set to win this but...

ENGERRRRRRRRLANDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!
Some warm up games have been played ahead of the main action kicking off next week.  England beat Bermuda which should be expected but they did have to watch out for this fella.

Dwayne Leverock - Local Policeman (19 Stone)

https://www.cricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/DB/072004/053515.jpg

There arn't many "whites" that Shane Warne could fit into other than his, but this fella owns some.
cospengle

1927 wrote:

Merv gets the hatrick, lawry goes nuts and ends it with "He's a hero that man, the crowd love him, the MCG love him, the Australian team love him, I love him, get him up here, I wanna boff him, Merv, Merv Merv".
lol 12th Man, love it!

"I can't wait to get down to his members end and face a couple of balls."

I've got a couple a CDs somewhere, I should dig them up and have a listen on the way to work.

1927 wrote:

http://www.cricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/DB/ … 053515.jpg
I was thinking he'd get run out alot, but he's got about a meter less to run than everyone else. He's touch down his bat at one end and then take 2 steps before touching down with his gut at the other.
...are you sure he isn't just an imposter? One of the Barmy Army in disguise .

cospengle wrote:

1927 wrote:

lol 12th Man, love it!

"I can't wait to get down to his members end and face a couple of balls."

I've got a couple a CDs somewhere, I should dig them up and have a listen on the way to work.

1927 wrote:

http://www.cricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/DB/ … 053515.jpg
I was thinking he'd get run out alot, but he's got about a meter less to run than everyone else. He's touch down his bat at one end and then take 2 steps before touching down with his gut at the other.
...are you sure he isn't just an imposter? One of the Barmy Army in disguise .
He's a new concept in cricket, he plays, eats the tea's and then rolls the pitch making sure it's flat.

I've played agaisnt the Windward Islands and Barbados myself and listening to these warm up fixtures bring back happy memories, they are some of the nicest people you could meet so perhaps I should lay off "Tubby" a bit.

Besides once the action starts there will be plenty of people to take the piss out of anyway, for eg, Bangladesh beating NZ in a warm up fixture
cospengle

1927 wrote:

Besides once the action starts there will be plenty of people to take the piss out of anyway, for eg, Bangladesh beating NZ in a warm up fixture
Well at least they didn't lose to them in a real ODI
1927(h)
West Indies beat Pakistan (I didnt expect that) Australia beat Scotland (expected) not sure how Canada got on.
1927(h)
Well done Irland (sorry Cameron) for mis-informing you must as the game ended the Irish were Jubilant and like myself had thought they had won.

The following was copy/pasted:

Ireland and Zimbabwe tie in thriller
Thu 15 Mar, 11:43 PM

Ireland's Jeremy Bray hits a shot against Zimbabwe during their World Cup cricket match in Kingston
view photo

KINGSTON, Jamaica (Reuters) - Debutants Ireland tied a thrilling World Cup Group D match with Zimbabwe on Thursday after both sides ended the contest on 221 at Sabina Park.

It was just the third time that a World Cup game has ended in a tie but Ireland, playing their first match at the tournament, were far happier with the result after clawing back from what looked a certain defeat.

"In certain stages of the game we did our very best to throw it away then we fought back in the last eight to 10 overs and really gave ourselves a chance," said Ireland's Australian-born captain Trent Johnston.

"I'm very proud of the guys that were out there... the whole squad are a bunch of fighters and we never give in till the game is over."

In 1999, the scores were tied in Australia's semi-final against South Africa, who also ended level with Sri Lanka in a pool match in Durban in the 2003 tournament.

On Friday, after Jeremy Bray had scored an unbeaten 115 for Ireland, Zimbabwe looked to be comfortably heading towards victory.

Zimbabwe's Christopher Mpofu bowls against Ireland during World Cup cricket in Jamaica
view photo

Half centuries from Vusi Sibanda and Stuart Matsikenyeri left them needing just 12 runs to win off the last four overs with four wickets remaining.

But Ireland captain Trent Johnston gave just two away from a tight over and then Andre Botha trapped Gary Brent leg before and conceded just a single in his over to leave Zimbabwe needing nine off the last two overs.

The next over was a disaster for the African side with captain Prosper Utseya hitting a full toss from Kevin O'Brien straight into the hands of Eoin Morgan at extra cover.

In came tail-ender Christopher Mpofu who failed to score from four balls, with Matsikenyeri trapped at the non-striker's end. Then off the last ball of the over Mpofu was run out attempting a single which his partner had no intention of taking.

Suddenly Zimbabwe needed nine off the final over with just one wicket remaining but at least they had their top scorer Matsikenyeri facing the strike.

The only member of the Zimbabwe side to have previously appeared in a World Cup took two each off the first two balls of off-spinner Andrew White's over but then a single left number eleven Ed Rainsford facing the strike although he managed to scamper a single.

The penultimate ball of the game had Matsikenyeri back on strike and he cracked a short ball from White straight at Johnston who dropped the chance and in the chaos, the Zimbabwean batsmen managed to take two runs and bring the scores level.

Matsikenyeri missed the final delivery though and amidst appeals for a stumping, non-striker Rainsford was run out leaving the scores level and Ireland celebrating.

"Who knows, we may even qualify for the next stage," quipped a jubilant Johnston.

Hosts West Indies and Pakistan are the other teams in Group D.

The big one today, England vs New Zealand.

It's a game which neither side can afford to loose.

Good Luck England, still reckon you should of picked me though, (ya shits).
TeamZephyr
Maintaining My Rage Since 1975
+124|6569|Hillside, Melbourne, Australia
Ireland beat the Pakis!!!!!!!

Bangladesh beat India!!!!!!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard