joker3327
=IBF2=
+305|6604|Cheshire. UK

Gfinners wrote:

The last war there we were lucky to win, it wasn't an 'Asscreaming' as some of you think it was.
Oh yes it was..... .... .....  ...... ......

258 British and 649 Argentine deaths

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falklands_War

Last edited by joker3327 (2007-02-23 03:05:01)

Gfinners
+17|6309|Cornwall, England
Oh no it wasn't, my dad was serving in The Falklands while it was happening and he told me what it was really like.
joker3327
=IBF2=
+305|6604|Cheshire. UK

Gfinners wrote:

Oh no it wasn't, my dad was serving in The Falklands while it was happening and he told me what it was really like.
Oh good for you....... What unit was he in...I was probably taking Stanley with him......and it was easy ...very little resistance from a force that did not want to be there!
Stealth_Bain
+19|6503|England, United Kingdom

ProudLimey wrote:

Something which this small article leaves out is what the Falklanders want, and they want to remain British. It'll stay that way.
Absolutley right, they are British citizens, and as long as they want to stay that way, end of debate as far as I'm concerned! its the way our whole empire worked (in principle)
Gfinners
He was in 42 and 45.
Stealth_Bain

joker3327 wrote:

Gfinners wrote:

The last war there we were lucky to win, it wasn't an 'Asscreaming' as some of you think it was.

To have a smaller amount of deaths injuries as an attacking force is prob the best statistic you can pull from that! our boys were fighting 13,000km's from home and still go tthe job done, was an amazing effort, even got a bombing raid down there from one of our V bombers designed for nuclear war (wasn't really a successful bombing but they didn't see that coming). 

Most of the Argies were conscripts and our paras really made them pay, were outnumbered by a 2 to 1 minimum and still made whole fields of them surrender!! beware of those chaps who wear the winged badge!!
That said it wasn't just the paras there, was the whole lot, more than I can quote, read the link posted above! amazing effort chaps!
Also had something to do with those amazing little jet aircraft we invented called the sea harrier!!!

All that said I don't reckon our guys could do it again, the spirit is still there, some of the best guys in the world are in our armed forces.
But sadly the support and equiptment isn't they have rifles that don't work, crap boots etc and ancient aircraft carrier that prob wont make it. Is a disgrace our government allowed the armed forces to erode so much!!

Last edited by Stealth_Bain (2007-02-23 03:25:06)

joker3327
=IBF2=
+305|6604|Cheshire. UK

Gfinners wrote:

He was in 42 and 45.
Royal Marine.....Well if he was there on the initial invasion..then yeah ok not nice for him....they were treated pretty bad by the argies...But when we arrived it was relatively easy going....I was attached to Support Company of the Welsh Guards.... ..
joker3327
=IBF2=
+305|6604|Cheshire. UK

Stealth_Bain wrote:

joker3327 wrote:

Gfinners wrote:

To have a smaller amount of deaths injuries as an attacking force is prob the best statistic you can pull from that! our boys were fighting 13,000km's from home and still go tthe job done, was an amazing effort, even got a bombing raid down there from one of our V bombers designed for nuclear war (wasn't really a successful bombing but they didn't see that coming). 

Most of the Argies were conscripts and our paras really made them pay, were outnumbered by a 2 to 1 minimum and still made whole fields of them surrender!! beware of those chaps who wear the winged badge!!

Also had something to do with those amazing little jet aircraft we invented called the sea harrier!!!

All that said I don't reckon our guys could do it again, the spirit is still there, some of the best guys in the world are in our armed forces.
But sadly the support and equiptment isn't they have rifles that don't work, crap boots etc and ancient aircraft carrier that prob wont make it. Is a disgrace our government allowed the armed forces to erode so much!!
The rifle is not that bad now its had the mid life upgrade  SA80 A2 ..... and the boots have got better .... Pro boot... good field boot..
Gfinners

joker3327 wrote:

Royal Marine.....Well if he was there on the initial invasion..then yeah ok not nice for him....they were treated pretty bad by the argies...But when we arrived it was relatively easy going....I was attached to Support Company of the Welsh Guards.... ..
Ok, sorry for being rude if i was, just didn't want people to think it was a rollover, cos for some people it was opposite.
SuperMike
Banned
+11|6466|KENT
The Argies would do well to remember "THE BELGRANO" & back off or else !
joker3327
=IBF2=
+305|6604|Cheshire. UK
No probs mate..... But when you have the Paras the Marines and the Gurkhas all in a battle the reputation precedes any attack and gives you an edge right away ...the majority of the defending force were conscripts..and gave up with very little resistance..
JahManRed
wank
+646|6634|IRELAND

Are Argentinians allowed to settle easily in the Falklands?
Stealth_Bain

joker3327 wrote:

Stealth_Bain wrote:

joker3327 wrote:

The rifle is not that bad now its had the mid life upgrade  SA80 A2 ..... and the boots have got better .... Pro boot... good field boot..
As reliable as the SLR?? I've got mates in the force, best one is a medic I hear some terrible stories with crap kit. but all stories so not verifiable facts!
aardfrith
Δ > x > ¥
+145|6798
As far as I am aware, international relations between the UK and Argentina are very good at the moment and I think we have put 1982 very far behind us.  I do not think Argentina would be stupid enough to put this in jeopardy by using military force to take the Malvinas but will only use diplomatic negotiations.

Having said that, the Falkland Islanders themselves have repeatedly voted to remain part of the British Isles.  It'll be a cold day in hell before our Prime Minister willingly signs British territory over to a foreign power when there is (nearly?) 100% of the population wishing to remain British.
joker3327
=IBF2=
+305|6604|Cheshire. UK

Stealth_Bain wrote:

joker3327 wrote:

Stealth_Bain wrote:

As reliable as the SLR?? I've got mates in the force, best one is a medic I hear some terrible stories with crap kit. but all stories so not verifiable facts!
The SLR was brilliant ...elephant gun.....you hit someone with one of those ..they werent getting up lol..but that said...they have ironed out the main problems with the SA80 A2 and if you keep it clean it works fine
Sambuccashake
+126|6616|Sweden
Anyone seen the Ricky Gervais DVD where he compares the Falklands war as the military equivalent of holding a midget at arms length and kicking him in the bollocks?
Switch
Knee Deep In Clunge
+489|6469|Tyne & Wear, England

m3thod wrote:

I'm sure they sing God Save the Queen and root for the Brits at the Olympics, still doesn't make you British.
Actually I beg to differ.  It is those kind of qualities which you speak of that make them feel British, it is that kind of patriotism which makes them have a British identity.

Id say that was far more important than a piece of paper.

There are people in the UK who ARE British citizens however some of these people are actually anti-British and preach hate about our country.  Granted this is a small minority but why should they be considered more British than the people living on the Falkland Islands.
Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
Superglueman
+21|6366|The Great South Land

Vilham wrote:

m3thod wrote:

KILLSWITCH wrote:

After the war in 1982, they were granted full British citizenship.
True dat.  However, The British Overseas Territories Act 2002 knocked that little decision into touch.

look it up as i am too lazy to do any searches, I'm sure wikipedia will prob have some info on it.
Lets think about this for a second, they could be members of one of the richest countries in the world... or they could belong to a poor country. Not too hard a decision for them.
Here we go again...the old "your with us or against us" bullshit...
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6373|Columbus, Ohio

Vilham wrote:

One thing to say... 2nd largest navy in the world vs near none existent navy = getting your ass handed to you.
Have to agree with that reasoning.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6772|UK

Superglueman wrote:

Vilham wrote:

m3thod wrote:

True dat.  However, The British Overseas Territories Act 2002 knocked that little decision into touch.

look it up as i am too lazy to do any searches, I'm sure wikipedia will prob have some info on it.
Lets think about this for a second, they could be members of one of the richest countries in the world... or they could belong to a poor country. Not too hard a decision for them.
Well seeing as the Falklands are part of the UK yes you bloody moron.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6722

Vilham wrote:

Superglueman wrote:

Vilham wrote:

Never engage in personal attacks. Ever.

Please, no flaming.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6772|UK

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

Vilham wrote:

Superglueman wrote:

Never engage in personal attacks. Ever.

Please, no flaming.
Well his comment was a pretty stupid one tbh.
silo1180
The Farewell Tour
+79|6428|San Antonio, TX
I have this song stuck in my head now...

Brezhnev took Afghanistan
And Begin took Beirut
Galtieri took the Union Jack
And Maggie over lunch one day
Took a cruiser with all hands
Apparently to make him give it back

-Pink Floyd - The Final Cut - "Get Your Filthy Hands Off My Desert"

I remember seeing Naval footage on the news when I was younger of the initial Falkland's Island War.  Seems like if the two governments could elect, back 25 years ago, to let the people decide, they should just do that again.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6763|Argentina

Vilham wrote:

m3thod wrote:

KILLSWITCH wrote:

After the war in 1982, they were granted full British citizenship.

I don't give a shit for these shitty islands.  But saying we are a poor country is a bit ignorant.  Argentina is not a poor country.  The wealth distribution is wrong, I admit it.  But this is one of the richest countries in the World, and I've been to a couple.  It's way richer than UK.  Corrupted politicians make poor people, but this country could never be poor.  Yeah, you have a higher GDP, but when you take the GDP (PPP = Purchasing Power Parity) UK is 6th and Argentina is 20th, among 200 countries.
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6573|NYC / Hamburg

if i remember this correctly the pm cant even give up the Falklands. the citizens there would have to proclaim their independence for the queen in order for it to legally break away. thats at least how it is in Gibraltar.

both are some tiny place the brits would love to get rid off and the neighboring countries (spain/argentina) would love to have. but due to british law its just not possible unless the people living there would agree. in gib that will never happen and i imagine that the falklands are very similar in that respect
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard