Ghost_of_Viking
+11|6518
i've had trouble with blue screens for some time now, long searches haven't brought any success of isolating the problem, since some people here are computer geniuses i figured I might try here

0x0000008e(0xc000001d, 0x8056b99e,0xb7a52b80,0x00000000)

the error code

os windows xp sp2
no viruses or spy, norton corp edition guarantees for that

further since I think it might be a driver/hardware problem

cpu 3.4ghz intel pentium IV
ram 1gb ddr of whatever (tested tho and works fine)
ati radeon 9800 xt with newest drivers
sound blaster live! 5.1 sound card which I personaly THINK might be the trouble cause there are no xp drivers for it
3 harddrives 1 SATA 2 IDE
1 LG DVD drive
1 Lite-On CD Drive

oh and ASUS p4p800 mainboard

I think it might be a problem with the sound card, but I dont want to buy a new one without being sure, maybe someone recognises the error codes.
The error ocures mainly while gaming, sometimes on  idle system.

it is not a heat problem, i've got monitoring tools fixed on that as well as i've screwed the case a apart and giving aditional cooling with a desk fan.

also while searching other pages there was allways a question to the error message, drv_less_equal or so, i got none of that
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6619|SE London

Could be lots of things. Maybe RAM, drivers, BIOS or could be a dirty virus. I wouldn't be relying on Norton for much protection and a lot of these things only show up either in safe mode or sometimes just under a recovery console (I think you can access the SAM through there as well actually - but that's totally irrelevant).

I very, very much doubt your sound card has anything to do with the problem.
BlAiR_AgaiN
+12|6382|Slovenia
What is your PSU? It may not provide enough power, especially while playing games. Check with Motherboard monitor or with SpeedFan. Watch the power on different rails (12v, 5.5v, ...)
It could also be overclocked CPU (not stable because of FSB or multiplier being too high)
Ghost_of_Viking
+11|6518
nothing is overclocked

i got a 550W powersuply since my 350W one exploded couple of years ago, the power shows steady on my utility, then again i cant check it after it bluescreened
BlAiR_AgaiN
+12|6382|Slovenia
What else is written on that BSOD (if there is)?
Ghost_of_Viking
+11|6518
the usualy your computer will be shut down to prevent any damage blabla contact your admin blabla

nothing specific which makes it hard to find the freaking problem
EvilMonkeySlayer
+82|6689

BlAiR_AgaiN wrote:

What else is written on that BSOD (if there is)?
Yeah, if you have a digital camera take a photo of it and post it up (full res if possible so it can be read).
Ghost_of_Viking
+11|6518
well il defenetly do that if i manage to recreate it sometime, but since i dont know what triggers it and have no idea how to poduce it, it might take time...

sometimes it happens dayly bout 4 times, sometimes it runs smooth for a month, its completly random
EvilMonkeySlayer
+82|6689

Ghost_of_Viking wrote:

well il defenetly do that if i manage to recreate it sometime, but since i dont know what triggers it and have no idea how to poduce it, it might take time...

sometimes it happens dayly bout 4 times, sometimes it runs smooth for a month, its completly random
Hmm, do you use daemon tools by any chance and/or a dualcore processor?

EDIT: Ignore that, I just noticed the pc specs.

Last edited by EvilMonkeySlayer (2007-02-21 15:13:42)

Ghost_of_Viking
+11|6518

EvilMonkeySlayer wrote:

Ghost_of_Viking wrote:

Hmm, do you use daemon tools by any chance and/or a dualcore processor?

EDIT: Ignore that, I just noticed the pc specs.
windows thinks I have 2 cpu's i get 2 seperate graphs in the task manager
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6476|King Of The Islands

Ghost_of_Viking wrote:

windows thinks I have 2 cpu's i get 2 seperate graphs in the task manager
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5e/Hyperthreadingpromo.jpg
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
Ghost_of_Viking
+11|6518
thx for clearing me up on that
viper313
One Shot, One Kill
+53|6679|Minnesota
How did you test your memory?  If you have 2 sticks, you should remove one and test, then replace it with the one you removed and test again.  I use the mem tester on the link below.  Works great and is free.  Read the readme file first though.

http://hcidesign.com/memtest/
Ghost_of_Viking
+11|6518
i got 1 stick

and i tested it by some memtest proggie with a freaked bootdisk windows cant read
viper313
One Shot, One Kill
+53|6679|Minnesota

Ghost_of_Viking wrote:

i got 1 stick

and i tested it by some memtest proggie with a freaked bootdisk windows cant read
That doesn't sound good. Or is it?  The memtest i linked doesn't even install.  It runs on it's own.  Which is good cuz if you want to del you just del the folder in win exp.

edit = Check out this link, explains what the blue screen of death is and what can cause it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_screen_of_death

Last edited by viper313 (2007-02-21 15:47:15)

The Stillhouse Kid
Licensed Televulcanologist
+126|6679|Deep In The South Of Texas
Try to notice what file causes the BSOD(it should say on the screen). If it's the same one over and over then the driver is the cause. If it's different every time then it's likely memory.

Try taking out your soundcard and uninstalling the drivers and software for a few days and see if you get any crashes.
MagikTrik
yes.....but your still gay
+138|6408|Pittsburgh, PA USA
How old is your CPU?
I don't know all that much but I do know when your processor starts to go you get alot of BSOD's.

*Edit:* Just to cure my own curiosity what are your temps?

Last edited by MagikTrik (2007-02-21 17:36:49)

cospengle
+140|6524|Armidale, NSW, Australia

Bertster7 wrote:

I very, very much doubt your sound card has anything to do with the problem.
I very much doubt it too, but if you're worried about it, and since your mobo has onboard sound, you could try running it without the soundcard for a while until you fix the problem.
EvilMonkeySlayer
+82|6689
Ah, so you use hyperthreading. Do you use daemon tools at all? There was an issue with it a bit ago with smp/dualcore/hyperthreading machines that caused it to bluescreen the pc.

Also, yeah.. download the memtest86 cd image, write it and test your memory too.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard