CameronPoe
+2,925|6567
Let's all laugh at the people who forgot to wash their foreheads today!!
_NL_Lt.EngineerFox
Big Mouth Prick
+219|6542|Golf 1.8 GTI Wolfsburg Edition
no
daffytag
cheese-it!
+104|6587
eeeeeh???
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.
+1,396|6758|The United Center
That's today?  Man, I really need to study religion more.
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6821|Nårvei

ThomasMorgan wrote:

Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Gillenator
Evils Bammed Sex Machine
+129|6406|Evilsville
Haha
theDude5B
Cool member
+804|6762
what are you talking about?
Dwit
+34|6521
Ha-ha-ha.......
SplinterStrike
Roamer
+250|6422|Eskimo land. AKA Canada.
Wednesday of the Ashes. It may be funny to you, but its what some people choose to believe in. Enjoy your day Poe
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6696|United States of America

ThomasMorgan wrote:

It normally follows Mardi Gras; every year, actually. You boozin' it up?
13rin
+977|6490

CameronPoe wrote:

Yea.  This is a much better alternative.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/meast/01/ … index.html
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6567

DBBrinson1 wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

I agree - all religious dogma is a stinking pile of dogshit.
Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6560|UK

How about I laugh at you?

Infach I shall

*laughs at moron*

Martyn
topal63
. . .
+533|6729

CameronPoe wrote:

DBBrinson1 wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

What about this:

That life is sacred and of immense value.

By attempting to reconcile the mortal and finite self - with the infinite - man (men; or a man) has realized that he cannot. That the infinite: God, Yahweh/Yehoshua/Holy-spirit* must do it. That is, man is not capable of making atonement (at-one-ment; reconciling the nature of existence with the self). Jesus as a symbol (as a mask of God, facet of the infinite) represents the atonement finite-limited-man cannot make. . . God must make the leap man cannot make by enduring: the suffering, horror, humiliation, evil, etc, that is part of necessary existence (the truth of polarity & unity in opposites). Jesus represents the conception that God has atoned (in necessary finite limited mortal form) for the realities of necessary existence - that God has become at-one with man (atonement); by his shear-will, and not by the will of man.

When people enact any symbolic ritual they are partaking in the aforementioned concept of reconciliation; atonement; unity with and-in existence (that life is sacred and of immense value). Whether it be: communion (the symbolic consumption of eternal-life & the light of transcendence), ash-Wednesday (dust to dust, the circle of life-death), baptism (death of the animal-self & re-birth of the self into a community at which a symbol of perfection, wholeness, or greater being is placed as the head; or defining concept), etc... it does not matter it is an: expression, a dance, humanity, culture, myth, a meaningful-ritual, etc - they “the faithful” are partaking in. I don’t think all - consider its meaning (to some it is probably something they’ve just been told to do) - but I doubt they (or all; or many) are clueless to all subtleties and value of a “ritual.”

What is a pile of dogshit to you, might be a pile of dogshit, to even the so-called “faithful,” but I doubt that it is pile of dogshit to all or even many.

*God: this image / conception being a mask of understanding, an image of finite-scope, so that man can contemplate God; the infinite; transcendence; in terms - the finite-self can apprehend.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6567

topal63 wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

DBBrinson1 wrote:

What about this:

That life is sacred and of immense value.

By attempting to reconcile the mortal and finite self - with the infinite - man (men; or a man) has realized that he cannot. That the infinite: God, Yahweh/Yehoshua/Holy-spirit* must do it. That is, man is not capable of making atonement (at-one-ment; reconciling the nature of existence with the self). Jesus as a symbol (as a mask of God, facet of the infinite) represents the atonement finite-limited-man cannot make. . . God must make the leap man cannot make by enduring: the suffering, horror, humiliation, evil, etc, that is part of necessary existence (the truth of polarity & unity in opposites). Jesus represents the conception that God has atoned (in necessary finite limited mortal form) for the realities of necessary existence - that God has become at-one with man (atonement); by his shear-will, and not by the will of man.

When people enact any symbolic ritual they are partaking in the aforementioned concept of reconciliation; atonement; unity with and-in existence (that life is sacred and of immense value). Whether it be: communion (the symbolic consumption of eternal-life & the light of transcendence), ash-Wednesday (dust to dust, the circle of life-death), baptism (death of the animal-self & re-birth of the self into a community at which a symbol of perfection, wholeness, or greater being is placed as the head; or defining concept), etc... it does not matter it is an: expression, a dance, humanity, culture, myth, a meaningful-ritual, etc - they “the faithful” are partaking in. I don’t think all - consider its meaning (to some it is probably something they’ve just been told to do) - but I doubt they (or all; or many) are clueless to all subtleties and value of a “ritual.”

What is a pile of dogshit to you, might be a pile of dogshit, to even the so-called “faithful,” but I doubt that it is pile of dogshit to all or even many.

*God: this image / conception being a mask of understanding, an image of finite-scope, so that man can contemplate God; the infinite; transcendence; in terms - the finite-self can apprehend.
I appreciate what you're saying. I suppose the problem is that I'm not spiritual in the least and as symbolic gestures to an intangible (as I see it) 'being' or 'force' are not obviously productive for me I dismiss them as bullshit. Genuine believers who understand the significance of the symbolic gestures no doubt get a sense of well-being from their acts, making the practice mentally 'productive' as it were. Having said that I was using inflammatory language because this is the junk drawer after all...

In short. To me it's bullshit but I can understand why people might want to embrace the dogma as they benefit mentally from their beliefs, where they are plausible or not. Those that embrace it without understanding the significance of their acts are pretty moronic in my opinion.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2007-02-21 09:05:50)

topal63
. . .
+533|6729
Shit fuckster I knew that.

And your not even wrong - it is a pile of dogshit - to you... I don't actually see anything wrong with that statement. I am just presenting the other; an opposite POV; non-dogshit...

Oh, and your edit - gets an edit by me.

CameronPoe wrote:

... Those that embrace it without understanding the significance of their acts are pretty moronic in my opinion.
Quite true, and actually I personally detest the concept of un-earned spirituality, "faith" is justified by "faith" alone; etc and the like ... ug, arg, gag, puke... what a circular construct of absurd proportions.

And one other point...

You can apprehend this symbolic act - can you not? A marriage ceremony, even the so-called relationship to the intangible (transcendent) is not all that this ritual (or any ritual) is about. It is an act preformed before a community. You understand that a declaration of love before your family and cherished friends is part of the ritual and symbolism contained in the act itself. Right? (This applies to any ritual; tradition; symbolic-act; etc - it is not just preformed in relation to the intangible / transcendent conception - it is in relation to community).

Last edited by topal63 (2007-02-21 09:33:20)

Erkut.hv
+124|6746|California

CameronPoe wrote:

Those that embrace it without understanding the significance of their acts are pretty moronic in my opinion.
Agreed Poe, and I kinda feel dirty for it. I don't put ashes on my head, though them folks claim to serve the same God as I do.

Although, I bet I could get out of work early to get some.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard