ReDevilJR
+106|6385
Okay, i understand DDR2 is new, and supposedly supposed to be faster. However, the Frequency AND the Latency are both increased dramatically. If I'm not mistaken, doesn't latency slow down ram, as in the higher it is, the slower it allows your ram to run?

I just don't see how things are getting that much faster with both going up so high... BTW, I'm sticking with DDR.
=MCHD= arush5268d
+46|6536|Houston, TX
Good questions you pose.  About the only thing I can intelligently say is that DDR2 is dual channel, and costs a lot more.
Neoburn_1035
Medic!!!!!!!
+27|6863|OP, KS
Well DDR is dual channel also. Here is an article overclockercafe
ReDevilJR
+106|6385
I mean, if it's in direct proportion to each other, if it's in the same ratio from DDR ~ DDR2, then there'd be no speed difference, correct?
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6616|SE London

ReDevilJR wrote:

I mean, if it's in direct proportion to each other, if it's in the same ratio from DDR ~ DDR2, then there'd be no speed difference, correct?
no
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6727
I could of sworn this thread was about Dance Dance Revolution...
Fenix14
scout rush kekeke ^___^
+116|6591|Brisbane, Aus

Ddr3 >ddr2
ReDevilJR
+106|6385

Fenix14 wrote:

Ddr3 >ddr2
DDR Vs. DDR2, not 3 which isn't released for ram yet.
Leprechaun56
Proud Infantry Whore
+31|6618|U.S.A
Well all the newer processors use DDR2, so im assuming that it is a new standard.  Could be wrong though.
PFC Eva[75thR]
+2|6358|Stafford, UK
Yes DDR2 is faster although the diffrence is not great.

People I know that did the change from 939 socket AMD to AM2 socket AMD said there was very little diffrence at all, but AMD do like low lat RAM where as Intel prefer high bandwidth with RAM so the change for an Intel rig would be much greater.

At the end of the day it dont really matter anyways as you are limited by your MOBO what to RAM you can use anyways cos DDR wont fit DDR2 MOBO and vis-versa.

If you have a Intel rig that is reasonably new chances are you have to run DDR2, same if you have an AM2 socket AMD system only time you will use DDR is if you got an old 939 AMD rig or an old Intel rig.

As mentioned DDR3 RAM will be released for retail soon enough which is supposed to be really good.

Last edited by PFC Eva[75thR] (2007-02-21 18:27:25)

Cubanpenguin
+35|6712|Kingston, Canada

Superior Mind wrote:

I could of sworn this thread was about Dance Dance Revolution...
haha Thank god I'm not the only one
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6635|132 and Bush

PFC Eva[75thR] wrote:

Yes DDR is faster although the diffrence is not great.
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/1046/c … index.html
DDR2 is generally more energy efficient as well.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Drykill
I Like Waffles.
+47|6726|England
Saw an article on DDR3 ram being developed, clock speeds from 800-1600 and only uses 1.5v.

EDIT: LINK

Last edited by Drykill (2007-02-20 20:14:45)

Sup3r_Dr4gon
Boat sig is not there anymore
+214|6361|Australia
DDR2 RAM is faster, but only the exspensive kind. The RAM may be 533/667/800mhz, but the latencies kill it. If you want a low-latency DDR2 kit, expect to pay about $600(AU).

And I just read that DDR3 article, and I think it's a crock of shit. C2D and AM2 have been out for less then a year, and they're already pushing a new standard on us? We'll need to buy new motherboards, and new processors as well, which is several hundred down the drain for a minimal speed upgrade for the RAM. You won't HAVE to upgrade, but they'll probably do like they did with AM2/C2D - release the new standard, and stop production of the DDR2 stuff, so if you want to upgrade, you'll need to buy a whole new PC.

[/rant]

Last edited by Sup3r_Dr4gon (2007-02-21 03:10:30)

ReDevilJR
+106|6385

Sup3r_Dr4gon wrote:

DDR2 RAM is faster, but only the exspensive kind. The RAM may be 533/667/800mhz, but the latencies kill it. If you want a low-latency DDR2 kit, expect to pay about $600(AU).

And I just read that DDR3 article, and I think it's a crock of shit. C2D and AM2 have been out for less then a year, and they're already pushing a new standard on us? We'll need to buy new motherboards, and new processors as well, which is several hundred down the drain for a minimal speed upgrade for the RAM. You won't HAVE to upgrade, but they'll probably do like they did with AM2/C2D - release the new standard, and stop production of the DDR2 stuff, so if you want to upgrade, you'll need to buy a whole new PC.

[/rant]
DDR3 will fit into the AMD2 mobo, it uses 240 pin.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6616|SE London

Everyone seems to have overlooked the fact that the performance of either type of memory (DDR or DDR2) is dependant upon the CPU architecture it is being used with. It is not simply a case of which is faster (although in general frequency > latency), more a case of which works better with different CPUs. A good example of this in action is the poor performance of AM2 based AMD CPUs, this is due to the fact that they utilise an onboard memory controller, which benefits substantially from lower latencies. Intel CPUs on the other hand, tend to be designed with pipelines that take advantage of higher memory frequencies and since the memory controller is not onboard the CPU, latencies matter less.

DDR2 is also rapidly becoming cheaper than DDR, due to higher production volumes. The significantly lower power requirements are also an issue.
Cookie.VXT
Bringer Of Cookies.
+178|6470|UK

ReDevilJR wrote:

Sup3r_Dr4gon wrote:

[/rant]
the article says it wont fit into DDR2 mobo's as the middle pin is in a differant place..
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6616|SE London

Zero!. wrote:

ReDevilJR wrote:

Sup3r_Dr4gon wrote:

[/rant]
the article says it wont fit into DDR2 mobo's as the middle pin is in a differant place..
He might mean AM3 socket boards, which will use DDR3. It's sad to see AMD haven't moved the memory controller off the CPU, so it's unlikely their new CPUs will make best use of the extra frequency provided by DDR3.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard