Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6669
After 2 years my Creative Zen Touch 20GB finally snuffed it. It lasted well, surviving some nasty accidents. But now the screen randomly dies, only the random/volume/power buttons work, and it refuses to connect to my PC. So, I need a new one

Criteria:

less than ~100 euro's. Do not tell me to stretch my budget so I can get something uber, i have more but I'm not willing to spend it on an mp3 player. less is good.
at least 1GB, don't really need much more
works well
lasts long (!)
is not an iPod
has good sound!

So far I'm looking at the Creative Zen V 1 GB which is a mere 45 pounds on amazon. The cheaper the better but if it meets all the criteria above it's ok.
https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6826|Nårvei

Oops, have had the exact same player for 1,5 years or so, should i start to worry about it soon

My biggest mistake was to buy the 20 GB, have still only filled half of it and will definately go for a 5 or 8 GB next time.

Check some tests Sarge, can often give you a clue what to buy ....
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
jord
+2,382|6694|The North, beyond the wall.
Most phones have MP2 players now,works fine for me just means I'm carrying one less thing around.

You can get all the accessories that you can get for normal MP3 players as well now.
syntaxmax642
+32|6641|Seattle

SargeV1.4 wrote:

After 2 years my Creative Zen Touch 20GB finally snuffed it. It lasted well, surviving some nasty accidents. But now the screen randomly dies, only the random/volume/power buttons work, and it refuses to connect to my PC. So, I need a new one

Criteria:

less than ~100 euro's. Do not tell me to stretch my budget so I can get something uber, i have more but I'm not willing to spend it on an mp3 player. less is good.
works well
lasts long (!)
is not an iPod
has good sound!

So far I'm looking at the Creative Zen V 1 GB which is a mere 45 pounds on amazon. The cheaper the better but if it meets all the criteria above it's ok.
Buy a 1gig nano... you wont be sorry...
znozer
Viking fool - Crazy SWE
+162|6561|Sverige (SWE)
JoS... Jens of Sweden 1.gb <80 euro´s last >5.h or moor (straight play) USB easy to handel
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6669

syntaxmax642 wrote:

iPods, lol.

Mp3 player phones? again, no thanks.

I've been reading lots of review and the zen V seems to be great. Does anyone have any experience with it?

Also varegg, unless if you've dropped it out of your pocket while riding a bike ~8 times, you're fine. I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did the dents in the side and back are huge and the paint job is practically non-existant
https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6510|N. Ireland

SargeV1.4 wrote:

Mp3 player phones?
what? maybe you are thinking of iphone.. that is different

i would also recommend a 1gb nano. apple are the shizzle for making mp3 and mp4 now. you know it deep down.
The#1Spot
+105|6556|byah
Go with sandisk only cost me $45 for 512 and i think its $60 for 1 gig and last close or over 8hours on one AAA battery. I dont know how much it is in pounds or euros all i know there ripping you guys off.

Last edited by The#1Spot (2007-02-17 11:53:55)

TheDarkRaven
ATG's First Disciple
+263|6641|Birmingham, UK

SargeV1.4 wrote:

syntaxmax642 wrote:

iPods, lol.

I've been reading lots of review and the zen V seems to be great. Does anyone have any experience with it?

Also varegg, unless if you've dropped it out of your pocket while riding a bike ~8 times, you're fine. I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did the dents in the side and back are huge and the paint job is practically non-existant
You've come to the right place! Your first assumption would indeed be the correct one! The Creative Zen V/V Plus is, for me, the most definitive mp3 (and in it's case mp4...but this has little point) player on the market for its size. I'm going to make a lot of enemies here, but iPods are, quite frankly, not as good as they're made out to be. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they're rubbish, I'm just saying that there are better mp3 players out there - with more 'usual' file types available to them (WMA/WMV etc.) Creatives & SanDisks etc. come up trumps on the iPod. The iPod comes into its own when you can afford to fill it up with iTunes, and if you can afford it great! However, the only reason I can think of to buy the iPod for a majority and average member of the public is for the style and a name - that's all that most of you are buying, a name. And even then you're paying over the odds. I pity iPod fans who have a Windows OS running computer, and who probably have to illegally obtain their music from file-sharing - for me the iPod is merely fuelling this illegal craze. People don't want to pay the outrageous iTunes prices, but have to find mp3s comewhere - hello Kazaa, LimeWire and others! Madness - and jobs says he's against DRM (yeah, this is a good thing but it'll just compound the problem with the ridding of DRM). I suppose this is the end of my rant on why not to buy an iPod. Enjoy your V!
All the best,
Andy

P.S. Just thought - I didn't elaborate on the WMA/WMV issue. Just wait until SpiralFrog and QTrax launch this year - then I can laugh at the iPod 'fanboys'. I can laugh hard.

Last edited by TheDarkRaven (2007-02-17 12:07:56)

kylef
Gone
+1,352|6510|N. Ireland

TheDarkRaven wrote:

iPods are, quite frankly, not as good as they're made out to be. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they're rubbish, I'm just saying that there are better mp3 players out there - with more 'usual' file types available to them (WMA/WMV etc.)
iPod supports AAC, which is better than MP3. I'm not sure if any other music product can use them except for Apple. It also supports MP3, WAV, AIFF - the list goes on.

TheDarkRaven wrote:

The iPod comes into its own when you can afford to fill it up with iTunes
Just because the iPod was built for iTunes doesn't mean it is the only program. Even Winamp supports iPod for adding any type of accepted media.

TheDarkRaven wrote:

the only reason I can think of to buy the iPod for a majority and average member of the public is for the style and a name - that's all that most of you are buying, a name. And even then you're paying over the odds.
You haven't done your research, have you? No, its not as if it has a GUI to do for, physical appearance and ease of use. Not to mention its playback quality and sound use. No, if you only buy the iPod for its name, you are an idiot. Just because some Creative Vision 'fanboy' sees Apple as a great threat, the only reason people buy them is because of their name. Yeah right.

TheDarkRaven wrote:

I pity iPod fans who have a Windows OS running computer, and who probably have to illegally obtain their music from file-sharing - for me the iPod is merely fuelling this illegal craze. People don't want to pay the outrageous iTunes prices, but have to find mp3s comewhere - hello Kazaa, LimeWire and others!
Pity me. Ha! What a load of crap. Yes, iPods are the only reason that Kazaa, Limewire etc exist. You are a total moron, who obviously doesn't know the first thing about audio. There were MP3 players before iPod, and sites before iPod too. You are just a pathetic Creative fanboy. It's not as if Creative users download their music. Oh no, Creative users are perfect and abide to the law. Every one of them. Yeah right. I'm friends with hundreds who aren't, and I bet are you too. Hell, I'm friends with Apple users who illegally download music. But that's not the discussion. If you want a debate about morals, you head over the debate section. Otherwise, stay out.

In case you are forgetting, oh wait, you live in a perfect, non-rule breaking Creative world, so I'll remind you. Creative have been in a ton of Apple lawsuits stealing their design, and in the end of those 11 (or was it 13?) lawsuits, they paid Apple a compensation and all lawsuits were dropped.

Typical fanboy, who can only see one side. And if anyone thinks I am a fanboy, you can talk to Sarge, as I gave him arguments to both sides.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6733|Riva, MD
Sandisk Sansa m240
xBlackPantherx
Grow up, or die
+142|6359|California

SargeV1.4 wrote:

Criteria:

works well
lasts long (!)
is not an iPod
has good sound!

for 50 euros, (I think, im american but i beilieve it's about 2-1 in your favor) you could get and old 2 gig ipod shuffle
arabeater
Do you have any idea how fooking busy I am?
+49|6697|Colorado Springs, CO

_j5689_ wrote:

Sandisk Sansa m240
Seconded.
Ninja_Monkey
I TK For Blackhawks
+60|6581|UK

SargeV1.4 wrote:

is not an iPod
half the people said an ipod just proves they are idiots

fuck ipod go for creative you wont be sorry
-=raska=-
Canada's French Frog
+123|6642|Quebec city, Canada
Ive bought a Sansa E260 two days ago and its a great mp3 player (reads videos too and has radio).

the e260 may be over your budget, so you may want to look for a lower model like the e250 for example : http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Catalog(1166)-SanDisk_Sansa_e200_Series_MP3_Players.aspx

so for around 100 euros, you get 2 gig of music and videos + radio.

(oops.. just remembered that the radio tuner on the sansa is not available in europe...)
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6510|N. Ireland
Heh, I tried to sell him an E250 earlier today ;P
Shem
sɥǝɯ
+152|6543|London (At Heart)

SargeV1.4 wrote:

syntaxmax642 wrote:

iPods, lol.

MP3 phones are awesomely great in my opinion, at least the Sony Ericcson W series phones, battery life is stupidly long, good quality, good phone, easy to navigate, just generally look cool, easier to carry one thing around instead of both an MP3 and a phone.
xBlackPantherx
Grow up, or die
+142|6359|California

Shem wrote:

SargeV1.4 wrote:

syntaxmax642 wrote:

iPods, lol.

MP3 phones are awesomely great in my opinion, at least the Sony Ericcson W series phones, battery life is stupidly long, good quality, good phone, easy to navigate, just generally look cool, easier to carry one thing around instead of both an MP3 and a phone.
Ipod. Music phones are a joke (100 songs??!?!?! Go away). All the other mp3's have either too little memory, too much memory you dont need and the price is too high, or are just stupidly impossable to use efficiantly.
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6581|Area 51

syntaxmax642 wrote:

SargeV1.4 wrote:

Criteria:

works well
lasts long (!)
is not an iPod
has good sound!

You will be sorry, I have an Ipod Nano (the first version, with the kind of mirror on the backside)

1: Its scratch sensitive, if you slide it by accident over the table on the chrome part it will be full of scratches
2: you will have to use itunes, Itunes sucks.
3: Unless you want to spend another 30 euro's on a adapter, you will have to reload the battery by pc, which takes about 2 hours.
4: Terrible overpriced
5: The earplugs suck because, the base is just crap, they quickly die. And the cable at the plug-in will loosen up pretty easy after some usage.

So: YOU WILL BE SORRY WHEN BUYING AN IPOD NANO, GOES FOR THE OTHER IPODS AS WELL (Captain Capslock away!)

Anyway, just search the web for some MP3 players, (I believe your Dutch right?)
Just go to www.dixons.nl They usually have some nice MP3 players, find one that you like, copy the name and find the same mp3 player but then cheaper somewhere else.

Good luck

Last edited by RDMC(2) (2007-02-17 13:41:25)

TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6636|Mhz

I get the same audio quality off my no brand, £30 mp3 player that I do off iPods (using my Sony earphones in both), mainly coz the player I have uses the same insides the older modle iPod Shuffle used, it just cost 1/8th the price lol.

Can't comment on the newer modle iPods, I know they pretty much outsourse every internal componant so you'd get another brand mp3 player with the same workings for less from someone else.

And anyone who says mp3 player phones arnt worth the cash is wrong, k750i and higher are fine, buy a 2GB memory card (all of £12, oh noes teh expence), load it up with songs, videos, pictures, any files actually, even comes with good earphones (shit on crappy iPods earphones, but then the free earphones you get with anything are generally poop).

On the whole I'd go with the Creative one you were gonna get, they're pretty cheap and nice quality.
viper313
One Shot, One Kill
+53|6658|Minnesota
I have an Ipod mini and its awsome.  Granted, the newer ipods are better, color screen and videos.  I've got a pioneer deck in my truck and pioneer makes a ipod connector for it.  Directly connected to the data port on the ipod for straight digital playback.  Over 500 songs at my fingertips with no having to switch cds. I don't think you can say that about alot of other mp3 players.  Most of the time you have to do the radio transmission which sucks A$$.

Last edited by viper313 (2007-02-17 13:49:42)

Cheddarmuff
+21|6668
Sarge, if you are ruling out the iPod then you are not getting the best...only something that "also ran"....

Suck it up and get a Nano...amazingly light, durable, crisp screen...or just buy something that doesn't work as well.
Darkhelmet
cereal killer
+233|6767|the middle of nowhere
Hey Sarge. I just karma'd you but somehow, I accidnetally pressed enter before I finished typing the message. Sorry. Anyways, I have a Zen V 1Gb and it works great. I've had it for a while and nothing's gone bad. It's rechargeable which is very good. The only downside, for me at least because my ears suck, are the headphones. The sound is great with any headphone but I've never really liked earbuds because they can't fit in my ears and stay there. So if you have your own headphones/buds you'll be just fine. If you have any more questions you can karma/PM/Xfire me.
Cheddarmuff
+21|6668

Ninja_Monkey wrote:

SargeV1.4 wrote:

is not an iPod
half the people said an ipod just proves they are idiots

fuck ipod go for creative you wont be sorry
Creative is quite the opposite...a over complicated brick. Oh and for the person that said 1gb nano, the nano comes in 2, 4, 8gb versions.  Shuffle comes in 1gb.

100 million consumers can't be wrong about the iPod...iTunes + iPod = HAPPINESS!!!!!!

Everything else is something that will be an antique in a couple years because the company went out of business or they keep changing products dramatically to try to get it right...the iPod is already there.
Jestar
Shifty's Home Number: 02 9662 8432
+373|6757

The iPod is VERY easy to use, put songs on etc.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard