PureFodder
+225|6284

Kmarion wrote:

BN wrote:

Bubbalo wrote:

Not yet they aren't.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superpower

Wiki has a definition:

"A superpower is a state with the first rank in the international system and the ability to influence events and project power on a worldwide scale"

Economic Power     Comparative GDP size? Role in world trade?
Military Power     Force projection capability? Troop size? Naval size?
Political Power     Influential foreign policy? UN leadership?
Cultural Power     Role of history? Worldwide art, music, film?

China probably lacks the cultural influence
The United States is a Hyper Power, get with the times..lol

PureFodder wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Funny, Americans have been told in this forum that they have little to no culture. Now we are told how others identify with it. Not you in particular Braddock, but we have heard that song before.

There are plenty of fulfilled dreams in this country as well. It is not dormant in the imagination. The whole nation is a dream realized. America is what it is today because we are products of the immigrant spirit and the pioneer mentality. All of our ancestors took a chance on a dream.
But there are soooooo many tired, poor, huddled masses of Mexicans with sooooooo much immigrant spirit and veritable piles of pioneer mentality they just want a chance to fulfill their dream.....
It's the difference between legal and illegal, comprehend?
Yeah they're illegal immigrants because America won't let them be legal immigrants
Major_Spittle
Banned
+276|6653|United States of America

weamo8 wrote:

Maybe this has already been posted.  I wouldn't know because a search of "The United States," or "America" brings up too many thousands of topics to go through.  Coincidently, this is exactly my point.

There are people in these forums from so many different countries, why is the conversation always focused on America, our politicians, and our way of life?

Why do I never see topics like "Why is Brazil so violent?," or "Why are Chinese politicans so corrupt?," etc. etc.

If you are in France, why do you care about New Orleans?   If you are Peruvian, why do you care about American violence?  If you are Canadian, why do you care about the War in Iraq?

There are much more extraordinary happenings of injustice, malice, and destruction all over the world.  Why do things become such a big deal to everyone when they involve America?

Is it hatred, envy, fascination?  None of these things, a combination of these things or what?
I like the way you think weamo8, you'll go far in this forum.  Do you like Gladiator movies?
ELITE-UK
Scratching my back
+170|6472|SHEFFIELD, ENGLAND

TheOneAndOnlyX wrote:

Because British people have nothing better to do than moderator forums, sip tea and complain about America. We kick their ass and they know it.
ok you stupid child, we dont moderator the forums like say umm, american people here! we dont sip tea, we drink tea, and we dont complain about america, we complain about some people in america..like YOU
weamo8
+50|6441|USA

Major_Spittle wrote:

weamo8 wrote:

Maybe this has already been posted.  I wouldn't know because a search of "The United States," or "America" brings up too many thousands of topics to go through.  Coincidently, this is exactly my point.

There are people in these forums from so many different countries, why is the conversation always focused on America, our politicians, and our way of life?

Why do I never see topics like "Why is Brazil so violent?," or "Why are Chinese politicans so corrupt?," etc. etc.

If you are in France, why do you care about New Orleans?   If you are Peruvian, why do you care about American violence?  If you are Canadian, why do you care about the War in Iraq?

There are much more extraordinary happenings of injustice, malice, and destruction all over the world.  Why do things become such a big deal to everyone when they involve America?

Is it hatred, envy, fascination?  None of these things, a combination of these things or what?
I like the way you think weamo8, you'll go far in this forum.  Do you like Gladiator movies?
Who doesn't!?! lol

Last edited by weamo8 (2007-02-15 16:25:03)

BALTINS
ಠ_ಠ
+37|6485|Latvia

ELITE-UK wrote:

TheOneAndOnlyX wrote:

Because British people have nothing better to do than moderator forums, sip tea and complain about America. We kick their ass and they know it.
.. we dont sip tea, we drink tea..
and I had a tea time yesterday! tea with a bit of vodka makes the worst winter wonderful warm.. 
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6599|132 and Bush

PureFodder wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

BN wrote:

Wiki has a definition:

"A superpower is a state with the first rank in the international system and the ability to influence events and project power on a worldwide scale"

PureFodder wrote:

But there are soooooo many tired, poor, huddled masses of Mexicans with sooooooo much immigrant spirit and veritable piles of pioneer mentality they just want a chance to fulfill their dream.....
It's the difference between legal and illegal, comprehend?
Yeah they're illegal immigrants because America won't let them be legal immigrants
There is a process that must be followed. The absolute number of international migrants is highest in the United States, 39 million. So your statement is totally inaccurate.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6764|UK

usmarine2007 wrote:

Bubbalo wrote:

How many other countries run around imposing their views by force?
England did...French did...Germany did...
Major thing there... "DID". YOU LOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6764|UK

aardfrith wrote:

usmarine2007 wrote:

Bubbalo wrote:

As did the Spanish, the Portuguese, the Romans.. pretty much most of Europe did.  However, as was then, we have progressed further and faster than the rest of the world and while we live in an enlightened world, we can't be too surprised if the developing "baby" nations, such as North korea, Israel, the USA, etc. want to do what we did so many centuries ago.
THE ANSWER.
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6365|Columbus, Ohio

Vilham wrote:

usmarine2007 wrote:

Bubbalo wrote:

What country did we take over?  I know you are going to say Iraq, so lets just agree to disagree on that.  But what other country?  Where are our colonies?
Major_Spittle
Banned
+276|6653|United States of America

weamo8 wrote:

Major_Spittle wrote:

Who doesn't!?! lol
I don't.  And don't call me " lol ".
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6642
China is big time influencing other parts of the world.  the lesser developed nations in south america and africa in particular.  china has troops garrisoned in foreign countries where ever they have industries that are tied to their government.  and before anyone says anthing about china being the good big brother trying to help out those in the unfortunate side of the world know this.  china gives money to a lot of different nations and they dont care what kind of gov't the reciever is.  the UN has been making noise about this especially of late since the funds china coughs up empowers dictators and human rights abusers.
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6365|Columbus, Ohio

Major_Spittle wrote:

weamo8 wrote:

Major_Spittle wrote:

Who doesn't!?! lol
I don't.  And don't call me " lol ".
fadedsteve
GOP Sympathizer
+266|6489|Menlo Park, CA
America isnt perfect, we have made mistakes, we are humans therefore prone to error!!

America is unique because it has the most success stories (i.e. immigrant to millionaire story).  People from all over the world want to come here because they have the best opportunity to succeed.  Contrary to others beliefs, America opens its doors to everyone, and encourages those who come here to become entreprenuers.  We defend the undefendable because it is in our constitution to give people due process.

What other country do you know of, donates the most in foreign aid to 3rd world countries?? There is NONE, America is the most generous country in the world. . . period!

We fight wars to better the world as a whole, not for Americas personal gain, contrary to European opinion.  We are a respected and misunderstood people as a whole! We are envied and scoffed at constantly, bottom line is were number one, and that aint changin anytime soon!!!

When you're number one, people/countries are out to take your title! They are jealous and want a piece of the action (so to speak), its very typical behavior to micromanage and find every fault of the most powerful and influential country in the world.  America is a great country, and those who are intelligent realize the benefit of America being the lone superpower as opposed to say. . .China or Russia.  Im not saying we are perfect, but we are far from being an evil nation out to destroy the world.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6288|Éire

kmarion wrote:

The United States is a Hyper Power
Like a child who's had too much sugar!

BN wrote:

Braddock wrote:

The reason everyone goes on about America and its rights and wrongs is because for starters it is the worlds only remaining super power

is China not a superpower? Just cos they dont flex their muscle does not mean they are not powerful.
If you read the rest of my post i talk about the cultural affinity many countries share with America through film and popular culture that we do not feel with countries like China as we have little or no exposure to their culture, media or movies.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6764|UK

usmarine2007 wrote:

Vilham wrote:

usmarine2007 wrote:

What country did we take over?  I know you are going to say Iraq, so lets just agree to disagree on that.  But what other country?  Where are our colonies?
Since when did imposing their views by force mean taking over... Your military acts all around the world as the "world police". Even your failed campaigns such as Vietnam were used to impose on their country.

Its almost as if some Americans have some belief that they have a god given right to go into other peoples countries with force, some would compare that to what the Germans did in WWI and WWII.
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6365|Columbus, Ohio

Vilham wrote:

some would compare that to what the Germans did in WWI and WWII.
Minus the ovens.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6764|UK

fadedsteve wrote:

America isnt perfect, we have made mistakes, we are humans therefore prone to error!!

America is unique because it has the most success stories (i.e. immigrant to millionaire story).  People from all over the world want to come here because they have the best opportunity to succeed.  Contrary to others beliefs, America opens its doors to everyone, and encourages those who come here to become entreprenuers.  We defend the undefendable because it is in our constitution to give people due process.

What other country do you know of, donates the most in foreign aid to 3rd world countries?? There is NONE, America is the most generous country in the world. . . period!

We fight wars to better the world as a whole, not for Americas personal gain, contrary to European opinion.  We are a respected and misunderstood people as a whole! We are envied and scoffed at constantly, bottom line is were number one, and that aint changin anytime soon!!!

When you're number one, people/countries are out to take your title! They are jealous and want a piece of the action (so to speak), its very typical behavior to micromanage and find every fault of the most powerful and influential country in the world.  America is a great country, and those who are intelligent realize the benefit of America being the lone superpower as opposed to say. . .China or Russia.  Im not saying we are perfect, but we are far from being an evil nation out to destroy the world.
Actually America is one of the least generous countries based on their wealth. Just thought i should point that out. What is your right to say what is better? I would be more than happy for America to be number one if everything they tried to do didnt end up screwing up things.
weamo8
+50|6441|USA

Vilham wrote:

fadedsteve wrote:

Actually America is one of the least generous countries based on their wealth. Just thought i should point that out. What is your right to say what is better? I would be more than happy for America to be number one if everything they tried to do didnt end up screwing up things.
I appreciate the story of the Widow's Mite, but this isnt Sunday School.  The fact is that Americans feed more impoverished people than any other country in the world.  That is called reality.  More filled stomachs, and less people starving to death is "better," imo.  Most is most.  In the future you can just say "Thank you."

We dont "screw everything up."  It is just that people only focus on what went wrong, not what went right.  Everyone in the world was okay with Iraqis dying when Saddam was killing them, but when we kill innocents in friendly fire and the like, there is international outcry.  Give me a break.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6288|Éire

fadedsteve wrote:

That's a naive and idealistic view of American foreign policy, if that was the case why did they take their eye off the ball so badly with North Korea and go wading into Iraq looking for imaginary WMD's. Wouldn't the world be safer if N Korea didn't have nukes instead of Iraq having a civil war?
commissargizz
+123|6462| Heaven
Where are our colonies?

hahahahahaha

Read your history America at one time was the colony of several European nations. then you got independence then what? Went west and colonised Indian (oppss not allowed to say that, Native American) and Mexican terrorites.

Maybe that is the reason why Mexicans want to go the US, they want their land back.

BTW I am not anti American I'm anti idiot.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6560

BN wrote:

Bubbalo wrote:

Not yet they aren't.

Wiki has a definition:

Then how could the USSR and US both have been superpowers at the same time.

Wikipedia = /fail.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6560

Kmarion wrote:

Some use that term.  I find it childish and unimaginative.  It's like little kids in a playground:

USSR:  I'm a superpower.

US:  So am I!  And you suck.  You can't be a superpower.

Iran:  Oh yeah?  Well I'm a rogue state.

China:  I wanna be a superpower.

US:  Fine, but I'm a hyperpower.

It's like the UN version of an e-penis.
BN
smells like wee wee
+159|6766

Bubbalo wrote:

BN wrote:

Bubbalo wrote:

Not yet they aren't.

Wiki has a definition:

Then how could the USSR and US both have been superpowers at the same time.

Wikipedia = /fail.
Wikipedia is just a gathering of opinions. You take what you want from it.

Maybe USSR and US were equal first. although I have not seen too much cultural influence from the USSR except for stoli vodka
weamo8
+50|6441|USA

Braddock wrote:

fadedsteve wrote:

That's a naive and idealistic view of American foreign policy, if that was the case why did they take their eye off the ball so badly with North Korea and go wading into Iraq looking for imaginary WMD's. Wouldn't the world be safer if N Korea didn't have nukes instead of Iraq having a civil war?
True.  It would be nice if America would take care of North Korea.  Then we could go to the Sudan, and make peace between Israel and the Palestinians, and pick up more Burmese refugees, and etc. etc. etc.

Everyone says they are tired of the U.S. sticking thier nose into everything, but they then expect them to solve all the worlds problems.  Maybe someone else in the world could step up and do a single damned thing!
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6599|132 and Bush

Braddock wrote:

kmarion wrote:

The United States is a Hyper Power
Like a child who's had too much sugar!

BN wrote:

Braddock wrote:

The reason everyone goes on about America and its rights and wrongs is because for starters it is the worlds only remaining super power

is China not a superpower? Just cos they dont flex their muscle does not mean they are not powerful.
If you read the rest of my post i talk about the cultural affinity many countries share with America through film and popular culture that we do not feel with countries like China as we have little or no exposure to their culture, media or movies.
Yes a child that that is militarily, economically, and technologically dominant on the world stage (In a fraction of time). I wonder how I would feel being replaced on the world stage by the rookie. Europe is haunted by by its brutal past and insulted by America's upstart success. The old continental powers are still far from forgiving us for supplanting them in the strategic arena. The primary goal has been to prove that the United States is as cruel and corrupt as they themselves have been. When your heritage is genocide, wars of aggression, or cowardly surrender the record of the United States can be pretty hard to bear. The old powers cannot avoid measuring themselves against us, but the disparities they discover are so great that Europe's Moral delinquents can not help but comfort themselves with lies about our clumsiness, our violence, and our crudity. Perhaps they should stop and ask themselves how could such a pathetic mediocrities built the richest, most powerful exemplary society in history.
Xbone Stormsurgezz

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard