Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6734|St. Andrews / Oslo

<3
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
ghettoperson
+1,943|6651

Woo yay! <3 Chuy. And IRC will once again be free of morons! Well, n00bish morons anyway.
chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6849|"Frisco"

FathomsDown wrote:

1, Replace both Raptors with something bigger and more reliable.
Such as? While I did just have a drive fail, I also have 6 raptors in my home machine in which none have failed (in fact, 2 of them were originally used in Gibson, but got replaced by the 150's when I started to run low on space)

FathomsDown wrote:

2, Mirror both internal drives.
K, I'll explain this again -- it is a 1U server with 2 drive spaces. That's it. If I had four spaces, I'd slap 4 vertical 500's in it and run RAID 10, but I can't. The best I will get is two identical drives at RAID 1. Additionally, I made the mistake of picking SATA instead of SCSI when I purchased the machine, so I'm stuck with that tech for now since the drive bays are swap-fit for sata.

FathomsDown wrote:

3, Create a RAM disk for the MySQL data (if its really causing a massive IO hit) and modify the startup script to recreate the RAM disk and copy the data files to it from disk backup (so its starts seamlessly when the server does).
If you'd kindly read back in this very thread, you will note that the mysql database takes nearly 30GB of space. While gibson DOES have a massive amount of ram, 16 !> 30. Besides which, I give most of that ram to the query cache and inno buffer pool which, essentially, does the same thing.

FathomsDown wrote:

4, Subscribe to an "over the Internet" backup service or use rsync to make sure the data is saved off the server.
I own quite a few servers in different DC's and will be using them to do backups.

FathomsDown wrote:

6, Ditch Linux and use something much more reliable such as Solaris 10 for x86.
I don't know Solaris. I don't know how it works with php or mysql or lighttpd or anything else I do. Addtionally, it's not "Linux's" fault that a drive decided to have a heart attack. In fact, the only problems I've ever had on Gibson have been hardware related (bad ram stick, failed drive) -- in which case Solaris would have been in just as bad a boat.
Neoburn_1035
Medic!!!!!!!
+27|6831|OP, KS
Yes your back. Skeet Skeet Skeet.

I talked with a friend that works at the largest Server hosting company in Kansas City (see link below). He said they had trouble with thier hard drives in their offsite back up servers. They were frying drives left and right, so they had to switch from The Western digital Enterprise Sata II YS  drives to the Sata II YD and YJ enterprise editions. He said they have very little trouble seince they changed. 

GSI Hosting

PS I guess the Spell Check is not up yet.........

Last edited by Neoburn_1035 (2007-02-14 08:49:28)

Brasso
+1,549|6632

https://img374.imageshack.us/img374/8009/loloq5.jpg
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Sir Aidyn Sage
DEATH FROM ABOVE!!!
+32|6365
Great work getting BF2s back to the Living...
scottomus0
Teh forum ghey!
+172|6639|Wigan. Manchester. England.
We was on about that in IRC

no one knew who did it and when.
Emil
Teh strogg!
+205|6481|Trondheim, Norway

Fenris_GreyClaw wrote:

I never realised how boring the rest of the internet is. I'm glad everything's back
Yup, it has been terrible without bf2s ....

But now it's all happiness
Dirrty_Bird
Dirtier than thou
+5|6742|Vermont
any idea when stats will be back?
KylieTastic
Games, Girls, Guinness
+85|6454|Cambridge, UK

Maybe anyone who thinks Chuy should have a difo system/backup config to make things more failure proof and/or quicker should hit the Donate button so he can afford it.

Good job chuy, always a mare when this sort of crap happens, nicely handled recovery

p.s. 'Check Spelling' just errored
mauirixxx
+1|6678|Kihei, Maui (hawaii yo!)
is the 2 drive option a motherboard or case limitation?

We run 2x 1U's at my work, both with 4 bays, and both running raid 5. So far we've had only 1 drive failure (at the end of the day thank god) so far, which was replaced and had the data rebuilt before the start of the next workday. I love Raid 5 now.

<OT>Now if I could just convince my boss to let me convert them to Linux and ditch Windows Server 2003. What's funny is, one of the boxes is running a virtual Linux setup (vmware ftw!), which powers our website.

And gets better performance then our previously dedicated box. Go figure ...</OT>
docnutz
+39|6761|B O S T ON area
thx guys , hope u had some beers during the reinstall and updating 
BellusEndus
Make love not war
+59|6625|Edinburg
nice one!
Des.Kmal
+917|6620|Atlanta, Georgia, USA

chuyskywalker wrote:

SATA instead of SCSI
i was about to ask... why didnt u have scsi?

15K > 10K

Last edited by Des.Kmal (2007-02-14 12:53:34)

Add me on Origin for Battlefield 4 fun: DesKmal
Hurricane
Banned
+1,153|6632|Washington, DC

I needed my BF2s. Thank god it came back quickly hope it never never never happens again.
Stealth_Bain
+19|6499|England, United Kingdom
Well done  and thanks for getting it back up, is an invaluable tool to anyone playing BF2.

keep it up chaps
AlterOrAbolish
+0|6284|North Carolina
Thanks for bringing it back up so quickly!

Everyone who relies on this site should kick in $5 towards new server gear...
Col_Claypool
+0|6284
I've been using this site to check my stats and find my buds online for over 2 years.  This site is awesome. Nice job and thanks for the great service.
UnknownRanger
Squirrels, natures little speedbump.
+610|6347|Cali

Paco_the_Insane wrote:

Woot! bf2s is back!
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6776|Noizyland

Re-post time! Bring back some nostalgia of the last time GIBSON drank too much beer and passed out.
https://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f266/Tyferra/Gibsonshutdown.png
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
RoosterCantrell
Goodbye :)
+399|6482|Somewhere else

BiRdMaN829 wrote:

any idea when stats will be back?

chuyskywalker wrote:

Stats aren't updating again yet. I should get to that tomorrow I hope.
Chuy posted this Yesterday, on this thread.
Mr.Dooomed
Find your center.
+752|6330

I have to say you did an amazing job getting everything recovered so fast. It seems like just yesterday it was down. A bit of a shocker I admit, but I wasn't breaking out into any kind of sweats... But nice work getting it operational again. I can't imagine what it took to get it all recovered and back up and working. I have a website also that hasn't been updated in like....4 monthes because I moved to iowa, and the website is hosted by my ISP in Wisconsin...So i have yet to call and get things switched.....
Nature is a powerful force. Those who seek to subdue nature, never do so permanently.
MT_Androo
Banned
+122|6471|The Suburb at Karkand
Right when I put the gun to my head, BF2s is back up...
destruktion_6143
Was ist Loos?
+154|6628|Canada

Ender2309 wrote:

seriously. i cried myself to sleep every night. my browser never leaves this page. ever.
umm, not to be a jerk, but....get a life?

just a thought.
chaosdragon001
Whee
+53|6510|Los Angeles, California
Yay it's finally back!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard