ssonrats
+221|6647
You can turn for as long as you want with a joystick, meaning you will be more effective in dogfights, as opposed to a mouse where you will eventually run out of desk space lol. Although you might need quite a high end joystick for better precision.

Last edited by ssonrats (2007-01-24 15:18:22)

BigfeetUSMC
+1|6290
Thanks to everyone for their comments on joysticks.  It is educational to say the least.

Bigfeet
-=S8M=-Phoenix
+45|6795|South Cybertown, Texas
I have a Saitek X52 and have seen people flying with a keyboard that are just as good if not better than I.

I think it just what you get used to playing with that matters!
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6655

-=S8M=-Phoenix wrote:

I have a Saitek X52 and have seen people flying with a keyboard that are just as good if not better than I.

no. Not true. It can seem that way but it's not true.
https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
OakLeaves
Banned
+70|6317|Newcastle UK

SargeV1.4 wrote:

-=S8M=-Phoenix wrote:

I beat most pilots out there sarge when i can be bothered but i gave up on my jet kdr after my shitty connection ruined it, I would be suprised if half of my jet deaths are not me getting a disconect.
Not
Great success!
+216|6578|Chandler, AZ
If u just wanna aserape go mouse and keyboard, but if u ever fly a dogfight against a good pilot with a joystick you'll be outmaneuvered badly. Up to you. And yes thats a good stick.
theelviscerator
+19|6290
Joystic ftw.
RavyGravy
Son.
+617|6407|NSW, Australia

hey thats the joystick i have.
-=S8M=-Phoenix
+45|6795|South Cybertown, Texas
Let me re-phrase and add to clarify

I have >and use< a Saitek X52 and have seen people flying with a >keyboard and Mouse< that are just as good if not better than >others I know who use a Joystick<.

Don't get me wrong, I love my X52 and would not fly without it. But I personaly know people who can fly just as good with a Mouse and Keyboard.

Last edited by -=S8M=-Phoenix (2007-02-10 14:32:48)

=Karma-Kills=
"Don't post while intoxicated."
+356|6586|England

OakLeaves wrote:

SargeV1.4 wrote:

-=S8M=-Phoenix wrote:

I beat most pilots out there sarge when i can be bothered but i gave up on my jet kdr after my shitty connection ruined it, I would be suprised if half of my jet deaths are not me getting a disconect.
L
O
L
spells lol
alpinestar
+304|6598|New York City baby.
For those that said kb+mouse is better to fly, why don't you suggest that to jet fighter makers they might have a blast. Imagine a mouse and keyboard inside of a mig, tards....
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6655
of course, any mouse+keyboard users willing to dogfight me are welcome.
https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
Auqakuh2213
Bianchi Whore.
+53|6671
As I understand it, when you use a joystick with BF2, it is still only "full on" or "full off". That is, if you move the stick one centimetre to the left, the game still believes you've pushed it all the way to the left.

Therefore there should be no discernable difference between playing with a keyboard and playing with a joystick - it's all personal preference. I prefer the keyboard. That is, when my keyboard doesn't lock because I pressed three keys simultaneously.

alpinestar wrote:

For those that said kb+mouse is better to fly, why don't you suggest that to jet fighter makers they might have a blast. Imagine a mouse and keyboard inside of a mig, tards....
Congratulations. You look like an idiot.

May I also ask (in general) how you can "see someone flying... with a keyboard"? Does the jet have a little keyboard symbol over it? Did I miss that somewhere?

Sorry, I'm feeling exceedingly sarcastic tonight. Might be something to do with my chaff* failing to do a damn thing when other people's seem to work just fine...

I think the keyword here is "seem", however, and I'm just in a poor mood (I not only grouse more, but actually play worse when I'm grumpy). :p

Also, out of curiousity... am I the only person who flys with -just- keyboard? I have limited space to move my mouse (yes I know sensitivity would change this, but higher sensitivity = lesser precision), so I've just learnt to use keyboard only. Also, thanks to... Slayer? Maybe? Dunno for sure. For showing me the proper way to fly in this game, way back when.

*Yes, I'm dumb, and I typed "chafe". So sue me.

Last edited by Auqakuh2213 (2007-02-10 17:19:31)

FeedUsYourFetus
+89|6454

.:ronin:.|Patton wrote:

Dude do not get a joystick, you can fly so much better with a mouse. Gunning with a joystick is way to fucking hard. Mouse=precise aiming. Get a Logitech G5 or something.
Don't listen to patton.  He still breast feeds.

But yeah, the joystick you have posted is a good one.

KiL
PvtStash
+4|6765|Australia
I havnt done a heap of flying in BF2 but have done 1000's of hours combat flight siming. I think it's really personal preference, some people like to use KB/mouse where as others much rather a joystick. I guess there's reasons that support the use of either method but if one makes you more effective than the other and you feel comfortable with that method then who gives a rats arse what anyone else thinks. I wish I had used the planes etc in BF2 more as I started the game with the intention of mainly using rifle and not vehicles but I have done quite a bit of messing about with them to the point where I can land a J10 on the roof of a building at Wake with ease. I use a crappy old MS Sidewinder FFB Pro but I get pretty precice control from it but I also know people who use KB etc and they are good with it. Choose a method that you feel good with then practice practice practice. I know my stats dont support my comments about flying but I  CAN fly and quite well, probably not as good as some but well enough to not get killed every 5 seconds.  Anyway, happy flying and may you always hit what you aimed for.
[AH1z]PJ
+75|6358
its not about joysticks and keyboards, as long as you are able to keep ur self from crashing you can own

just gotta play smart
CTD-CaptainBuck
BLEEDING BLUE
+71|6769|Tenn

Auqakuh2213 wrote:

As I understand it, when you use a joystick with BF2, it is still only "full on" or "full off". That is, if you move the stick one centimetre to the left, the game still believes you've pushed it all the way to the left.
that is the most uneducated reply evar. it isn't "full on" or "full off" as you put it. do you even own a joystick?
PvtStash
+4|6765|Australia
Read this also, it's real The Dicta Boelcke

Boelcke's list of tactics

1. Try to secure the upper hand before attacking. If possible, keep the sun behind you.
   2. Always continue with an attack you have begun.
   3. Only fire at close range, and then only when the opponent is properly in your sights.
   4. You should always try to keep your eye on your opponent, and never let yourself be deceived by ruses.
   5. In any type of attack, it is essential to assail your opponent from behind.
   6. If your opponent dives on you, do not try to get around his attack, but fly to meet it.
   7. When over the enemy's lines, never forget your own line of retreat.
   8. Tip for Squadrons: In principle, it is better to attack in groups of four or six. Avoid two aircraft attacking the same opponent.
straz_mataz
Banned
+86|6536|Edmonton Alberta
well i dont have a joystick so i use a gamepad (basically its a ps2 controller for the pc) to fly planes..... and i suck....bad at flying planes in bf2

but for helos use the mouse and keys.... you will get way too dependant on the joystick when your gunner gets shot out and wont be able to solo tv missle as easily

solo> is way better than a noob gunner anyhow
Djbrown
+129|6498|Adelaide, Aussieland

Auqakuh2213 wrote:

May I also ask (in general) how you can "see someone flying... with a keyboard"? Does the jet have a little keyboard symbol over it? Did I miss that somewhere?
you clearly have no idea what your talking about. if i'm in a circle war with an enemy pilot and suddenly they straighten for a split second, then return to circles, you know they have an M&K, which usually results in their ass getting gunned down because of the tighter circles i can get from a joystick. If you see someones who's only evasive manouvre is to pull up and do loops, they're using M&K. if you see someone going for a bombing run but never adjust their path, just fly in straight lines until they have dropped the bombs, they're using M&K. all of which results in getting shot down without any problems.
soalfa
+7|6529|raahe finland
i flyed 80hrs whit keyboard and mouse ,now 40hrs whit joystick and keyboard .. and have noticed that gunning is harder but u can learn it just accurrate then whit mouse ... i think joystick is quite vital ,expecially when u have to make quick manuvers in f35b and  j10 in right behind you ,  when i got flares afterburner full in f35b, i almost every time get away ,before that was lot harder .
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

Joysticks are dead useful.
Heavy_Guns_91
I hand out purple hearts like candy
+72|6405|Alberta, Canada
I'm not bragging right now... But if you look at my stats, you'll see that my aviator K to D is around 8:1. That's just with keyboard.

My helocopter flying is just as good. My stats don't show it because I'm always the pilot. My gunner, blinky_mon, has his helo K to D as my gunner.
el capitan
+11|6532
I am not claiming to be a good pilot. I am claiming to be decent. (I played for 5 months with a GeForce 5200, and 512 of ram, so stats are misleading.)

However, dogfight me, and see that I am more than decent. And I fly with a mouse. I went out an bought a joystick, but didn't like it. It seems more natural. (BTW, why do all the good fighterpilots in the world use joysticks? Because the joystick was invented waaayyy before the mouse was. Dee de-dee.)

I use a standard microsoft optical mouse, and the sensitivity is set to 6 for planes, and 4 for choppers. I fly against people in servers, and after a good dogfight (more often then not one I win), they ask me what type of joystick I use. When I tell them that I am not using a joystick, they say "I don't believe you".
B00MH3ADSH0T
Fresh NoobCaeks Here
+118|6392|Penrith,Nsw, Aus
I wouldnt buy it just for bf2 but if you like to fly in other games aswell its worth it if not use the kb/m

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard