unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6779|PNW

An approximately 1.5GB demo of the RPG hack-and-slash, Silverfall, is available at Fileplanet. While most RPG's seem to fail, this one shows promise. While good and evil seem to be present, the conflict is more between science and nature (with unique skill trees for whatever alignment you take). The skills are tree-based, with multiple trees, you can choose between four races (human, elf, troll and goblin, according to what I've seen in the demo), and customize the basic looks for each character. The quests seem set up as run and fetch, but there are sometimes ones where you don't have to carry anything back to the quest giver, which is a relief.

However, like Sacred, the game's one failing is the fact that the difficulty of monsters ratchet up as you gain levels, offering you no Diablo-esque horde of ridiculously outmatched monsters to viciously slaughter with idle flicks of your finger. Every fight seems to be against monsters who are a few levels above you, and while this may make for better drops, it does cut out some of the fun element when you're always getting killed. This sort of system is, of course, intended to challenge the player, but ends up only being aggravating...particularly when your equipment never quite seems to catch up with your experience. While I'm never tempted to cheat at Diablo, the fluid difficulty of dissimilar types of RPG's drives me to dig into game files to be sure that--while I'm smashing through hundreds of monsters--I am not stuck taking over half a minute to kill each one.

The cel-shaded graphics are a much-needed alternative for PC games, and Silverfall accomplishes that well enough, with the addition of sketch-like texturing. The controls and interface are easy to get a hang of, though the direction in which you're traveling can get somewhat muddled at times. Merc/companion inventories are identical to your own and your inventory is huge (eliminating the frustrating town portal spamming that plagued Diablo).

The game's worth a try. The story and the art seem to be what drives it, and it would be interesting to see if, once you learn all the skills from, say, nature, if you could turn around and realign yourself to science just to get those too.

Official site:
http://www.silverfall-game.com/en/news.php

Fileplanet:
http://www.fileplanet.com/173395/170000 … English%5D

6.5/10 for what I've seen so far. 9/10, if it weren't for the fact that not even a small fraction of the monsters stay weak.

https://www.silverfall-game.com/img/screeshots/b/10.jpg

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2007-02-04 04:38:58)

daffytag
cheese-it!
+104|6582
Looks fun, but I'm too lazy to download it
daffytag
cheese-it!
+104|6582
Thats a big wagoon, it dosnt look like it can steer though.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6779|PNW

daffytag wrote:

Thats a big wagoon, it dosnt look like it can steer though.
If anything, it's probably drawn by a machine, or some large fantasy creature. You're right about the steering...though it could be just an ornamental platform.

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

...and it would be interesting to see if, once you learn all the skills from, say, nature, if you could turn around and realign yourself to science just to get those too.
Confirmed. You can, for example, load your character up with passive technological skills, and then turn your back on science and realign with nature. Think cyborg druid. The demo's been pretty cool so far, and once you get used to it each fight isn't too difficult. However, the dumb masses of monsters prove an annoying obstacle that you have to wade through to each objective, so I may pass on the full game, despite its awesome skills.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2007-02-05 02:13:25)

Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6672|NT, like Mick Dundee

I'm waiting for Hellgate myself. My little brother loved Diablo 2, I liked the way it played but not the classes (except the Necromancer, those guys rocked).

And Hellgate has cricket bats.

Last edited by Flecco (2007-02-07 04:21:17)

Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6779|PNW

Flecco wrote:

aI'm waiting for Hellgate myself. My little brother loved Diablo 2, I liked the way it played but not the classes (except the Necromancer, those guys rocked).

bAnd Hellgate has cricket bats.
aHellgate looks great, but it's such a long wait. At least I've got D2 to keep me busy. How could you not like the paladin, what with teleporting around and barfing out 10k+ damage magic hammers of universal killage?

bIt does?!

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2007-02-07 13:46:49)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard