heggs
Spamalamadingdong
+581|6358|New York
Well, my computer is a little weak for what Oblivion requires and I was wondering what you guys think.
for reference:
3200+
2 gb ram @ 400 mhz
7800 gt

Should i get the PS3 version when it comes out, or try it with my computer. I feel like i won't be able to experience it as well through my computer as I'll be able to through the PS3.
Remember Me As A Time Of Day
Brasso
+1,549|6600

Computer of course, dumb shit.  Sell your PS3 and save that money to upgrade your computer when it really needs to be upgraded.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6637

heggs wrote:

Well, my computer is a little weak for what Oblivion requires and I was wondering what you guys think.
for reference:
3200+
2 gb ram @ 400 mhz
7800 gt

Should i get the PS3 version when it comes out, or try it with my computer. I feel like i won't be able to experience it as well through my computer as I'll be able to through the PS3.
You already have PS3 specs.  Stick with the PC version.  Tons of mods for it already...
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6623
hmm.. think of it like this:

PS3 = oblivion = sex with Vida Guerra
PC = oblivion + mods = sex with Vida Guerra and Sky Lopez
https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
Fenris_GreyClaw
Real Хорошо
+826|6489|Adelaide, South Australia

SargeV1.4 wrote:

This man knows his stuff. Heed his words.
kessel!
Peruvian Cocaine
+261|6735|Toronto Canada
oblivion looks lame as hell.
Fearmesnipers
+41|6416|Wales

kessel! wrote:

Perhaps to you
but to people who enjoy RPG's its a great game. Best of its kind i think.
Kanil
"Aff, Star Colonel!"
+37|6732|Internet!
I'm more of a bitter Morrowind fan myself, but...

You really should get it for PC. The sheer amount of player-made content you miss out on when you play on a console really isn't worth it.
Bjenkins_X_123
+11|6465|London, UK

kessel! wrote:

looks can be decieving..........especially to people who havn't tried to play it.

Personally, just the single moment of looking over the Imperial City at sunrise from a mountain path cannot been beaten, at least, not in a game....simply exquisite
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6637

Bjenkins_X_123 wrote:

kessel! wrote:

looks can be decieving..........especially to people who havn't tried to play it.

Personally, just the single moment of looking over the Imperial City at sunrise from a mountain path cannot been beaten, at least, not in a game....simply exquisite
The look and sounds of the "undead" areas have a nice atmosphere too.  With full X-Fi support, hearing those ghastly sounds getting louder beats your typical horror flick.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6438

Ilocano wrote:

heggs wrote:

for reference:
3200+
2 gb ram @ 400 mhz
7800 gt

You already have PS3 specs.  Stick with the PC version.  Tons of mods for it already...
I <3 Oblvion mods
SonderKommando
Eat, Lift, Grow, Repeat....
+564|6630|The darkside of Denver
i agree sell your PS3. its DOOOMED.
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6623

Bjenkins_X_123 wrote:

kessel! wrote:

I can seriously spend an hour or two just walking around in oblivion. if I skip the day time, at least. it's just incredible.
https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6635|NT, like Mick Dundee

Bahaha... Your PC can run it. Trust me. MINE can run it... So yours definitely can mate...
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
heggs
Spamalamadingdong
+581|6358|New York

Flecco wrote:

Bahaha... Your PC can run it. Trust me. MINE can run it... So yours definitely can mate...
i agree, it can run it, but can my pc run it well. i'd rather not play it on the pc with everything toned down and be able to play it on the ps3 with better settings. that's my point i suppose. i'm almost thinking the ps3 will give me better visuals than my computer can produce.
Monkeyman911
Dun wori, it's K.
+76|6392|California, US

SargeV1.4 wrote:

haha
he got it all
yeah i think its a great game
awesome graphics if your computer can run it good
(maybe its just because i started playing 2142 and BF2) but it gets kinda old after youve beaten through the good stuff
Ganko_06
Laughter with an S
+167|6615|Camoran's Paradise

heggs wrote:

Flecco wrote:

i agree, it can run it, but can my pc run it well. i'd rather not play it on the pc with everything toned down and be able to play it on the ps3 with better settings. that's my point i suppose. i'm almost thinking the ps3 will give me better visuals than my computer can produce.
The visual loss would be minimal in comparison if any at all.
What you would really miss out on is the gameplay in general you get with a PC.

Edit:  There are mods out there that almost double the quality of the game that you can't get on the PS3.  Save your money and upgrade your system later.

Last edited by Ganko_06 (2007-02-06 16:19:45)

InnerMonkey
+62|6689
3700+ (OC'd), 2gb ram, 7800GTX playing at 1900x1200 and I have almost every setting mid-to-high (but no AA).  I play fine like this.  Outdoors, it can really slow down (20fps at worst), but you don't fight much outdoors anyway.  Turning the grass and such down a bit helped, but I wouldn't want to turn it off.  Oblivion is a beautiful game!

I used to have settings higher at 1600x1200, but I started playing widescreen and had to lower my settings. 

I agree with everyone else, the PC version is the way to go.

Last edited by InnerMonkey (2007-02-06 16:23:48)

heggs
Spamalamadingdong
+581|6358|New York

InnerMonkey wrote:

3700+ (OC'd), 2gb ram, 7800GTX playing at 1900x1200 and I have almost every setting mid-to-high (but no AA).  I play fine like this.  Outdoors, it can really slow down (20fps at worst), but you don't fight much outdoors anyway.  Turning the grass and such down a bit helped, but I wouldn't want to turn it off.  Oblivion is a beautiful game!

I used to have settings higher at 1600x1200, but I started playing widescreen and had to lower my settings. 

I agree with everyone else, the PC version is the way to go.
interesting.

i would play at a res of around 1280x1024, possibly lower to optimize it a bit.

do you play at the full distance with those settings?
also, how does a mod increase the quality of the game so much? are you talking about content or performance?
InnerMonkey
+62|6689

heggs wrote:

interesting.

i would play at a res of around 1280x1024, possibly lower to optimize it a bit.

do you play at the full distance with those settings?
also, how does a mod increase the quality of the game so much? are you talking about content or performance?
Curious, I just had to go look. :-)

I have full distance view, yes.  I have item/object/actor fade and grass distance at around 30% of the slider. shadow settings are: Self shadow-off, grass-shadow-off, tree shadows-on  Distant objects are all turned on.  Water detail is set to high, and all water effects are enabled.  HDR is on.  I'm using large texture settings.  That's about it really.

I loaded up a game and ran around outside a bit.  I saw 20-45fps depending on what was going on.  Just walking around with no fighting, I would get 35-45. I went into a dungeon area and got several baddies after me and then fought them hand-to-hand and with magic.  I saw 35-60 fps just walking around indoors, but when fighting that many things up close, it would drop to 20-25fps.  I know these sound bad, but honestly, the game style doesn't need high framerates. 

Mods cover quite a bit really.  Gameplay tweaks, item tweaks etc.  There are 'mission' content mods as well. I hate the site, but here's a good list of mods with brief descriptions: http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/V … nMods.List
heggs
Spamalamadingdong
+581|6358|New York
thank you everyone for giving me your thoughts. i've got a bit to think about before i do anything.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6637

You can actually turn most settings to medium and Oblivion will still look awesome.

As far as mods, check out fileplanet.  I consider the Natural Faces Plugin one of the best out there.
http://www.fileplanet.com/99950/0/secti … :-Oblivion

Check out the mods under Faces and Graphics.
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6615
Expansion for Oblivion coming out this year I think in march on PC.
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6635|NT, like Mick Dundee

Lol, thanks to my crappy graphics card I have to run it on low and it still looks brilliant. The Dark Brotherhood stuff alone was worth buying it for.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
Pernicious544
Zee Tank Skank
+80|6671|MoVal So-Cal

SargeV1.4 wrote:

fuck sky lopez! Selina Spice FTW!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard