Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6608|132 and Bush

Cougar wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

I was trying to present this in a positive manner to demonstrate the positive changes we have made. I was not trying to make you feel guilty. I listed the good stuff and only posted the pics to show how far we have come.
Try showing that there is a black guy running for president and what accomplishements balck intellectuals have made, as well as how the percentage of black students that graduated from college has gone up since X year.  There are slew of things you can do to show "how far we've come" other than posting pictures of black people getting the shit beat out of them while buildings are burning behind them.
It was not my intent to overshadow everything with the pictures. I used the pictures to demonstrate the then and now. It's really that simple. Nearly everything I wrote in the OP was positive. You are very sensitive and judgmental. You threw everything out when you saw the pictures.

Last edited by Kmarion (2007-02-05 17:37:59)

Xbone Stormsurgezz
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6452|The Land of Scott Walker
I agree we've come along way and we should be glad for that.  Racism is stupid.  At the same time, I have to agree with some of Cougar's points.  The constant focus on the past and the transference of guilt onto the current white population by the likes of Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson is a load of crap.  No one is required to make for things we did not do or support.  If we all look toward the future we'll advance a lot faster than if we're looking back at a negative past. 

Let's all pull ourselves up by the bootstraps, no matter what our race may be, take responsibility for our actions instead of blaming someone else when life sucks, and make our lives better - by helping others regardless of color or creed. 

Stingray out.
l=l-Oneill-l=l
+27|6844|Dundas, ONT, Canada

Cougar wrote:

l=l-Oneill-l=l wrote:

After watching that video, I have to say one thing. What Civil war was all about. Freeing slaves.
Actually the civil war was not about slaves.  Lincoln freed the slaves towards the end of the war to give a metaphorical "fuck you" to the southern states.
Yes and Southern States followed his ruling to the letter and treated x-slaves as their equals.
Master*
Banned
+416|6502|United States

l=l-Oneill-l=l wrote:

Cougar wrote:

l=l-Oneill-l=l wrote:

After watching that video, I have to say one thing. What Civil war was all about. Freeing slaves.
Actually the civil war was not about slaves.  Lincoln freed the slaves towards the end of the war to give a metaphorical "fuck you" to the southern states.
Yes and Southern States followed his ruling to the letter and treated x-slaves as their equals.
[/sarcasm]
l=l-Oneill-l=l
+27|6844|Dundas, ONT, Canada
You got It.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6608|132 and Bush

Stingray24 wrote:

I agree we've come along way and we should be glad for that.  Racism is stupid.  At the same time, I have to agree with some of Cougar's points.  The constant focus on the past and the transference of guilt onto the current white population by the likes of Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson is a load of crap.  No one is required to make for things we did not do or support.  If we all look toward the future we'll advance a lot faster than if we're looking back at a negative past. 

Let's all pull ourselves up by the bootstraps, no matter what our race may be, take responsibility for our actions instead of blaming someone else when life sucks, and make our lives better - by helping others regardless of color or creed. 

Stingray out.
I think it is important to look back but of course not dwell in it. I guess starting a topic in a gaming forum is to much remembering (Even though my questions were about the future).
Xbone Stormsurgezz
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6639|949

OK, sorry to derail, but on the issue of the Civil War, as was stated previously, Lincoln freed the slaves in 1863, long after the war started.  Also, he freed the slaves of a self-proclaimed country that did not adhere to the President of the United States.  The Emancipation Proclamation was somewhat tantamount to FDR freeing Soviet slaves in the Gulag.

That being said, the Civil War was fought over two emerging economies - The Northeastern manufacturing and production economy vs. the Southeast agriculture economy.  Only because people in the South relied on slaves for their profits were slaves seen as a main component in the war.

Black History Month is an acknowledgment that for many years in History (basically since the founding of our country until the 1960's) African-Americans were treated like utter shit by a lot of people in the US.  Not only is it celebrating Black culture and progress in society, but it is also an expression of how far we as a society have come.  A pat on the back if you will.
Cougar
Banned
+1,962|6772|Dallas

Kmarion wrote:

Cougar wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

I was trying to present this in a positive manner to demonstrate the positive changes we have made. I was not trying to make you feel guilty. I listed the good stuff and only posted the pics to show how far we have come.
Try showing that there is a black guy running for president and what accomplishements balck intellectuals have made, as well as how the percentage of black students that graduated from college has gone up since X year.  There are slew of things you can do to show "how far we've come" other than posting pictures of black people getting the shit beat out of them while buildings are burning behind them.
It was not my intent to overshadow everything with the pictures. I used the pictures to demonstrate the then and now. It's really that simple. Nearly everything I wrote in the OP was positive. You are very sensitive and judgmental. You threw everything out when you saw the pictures.
Ok, lets say that on page 3 of this topic we have all become friends and everything is peaceful and great and everyone is getting along.  But then you decide to post quotes from the first page.  Now, would you say that it is showing everyone how far we've come or would you say that everyone would start fighting again and people would revert back to how shitty the first page was?

They overcame and tried to make the situation better.  They accomplished that.  People need to stop dredging the bad things from that era up, over and over again.  Try posting pics of MLK and MalcomX or maybe even the mass crowds gathering in Washington for peaceful protest (which you kinda did), not the bad stuff.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6608|132 and Bush

Cougar wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Cougar wrote:

Ok, lets say that on page 3 of this topic we have all become friends and everything is peaceful and great and everyone is getting along.  But then you decide to post quotes from the first page.  Now, would you say that it is showing everyone how far we've come or would you say that everyone would start fighting again and people would revert back to how shitty the first page was?

They overcame and tried to make the situation better.  They accomplished that.  People need to stop dredging the bad things from that era up, over and over again.  Try posting pics of MLK and MalcomX or maybe even the mass crowds gathering in Washington for peaceful protest (which you kinda did), not the bad stuff.
If I reminded them at the same time that we are still friends then yes I would say it would be showing everyone how far we have come.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Fancy_Pollux
Connoisseur of Fine Wine
+1,306|6653
We should get rid of affirmative action. It is the very thing it aims to counter: racism. Being denied employment or admission to a University as a White person simply because a Black person applied is nonsense. It promotes the opposite of a colorblind society by making race the issue, not qualifications.

Last edited by Fancy_Pollux (2007-02-05 17:58:31)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6608|132 and Bush

https://i9.tinypic.com/43rqxe1.gif
Maybe i should have posted that as well.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6639|949

Fancy_Pollux wrote:

We should get rid of affirmative action. It is the very thing it aims to counter: racism. Being denied employment or admission to a University as a White person simply because a Black person applied is nonsense. It promotes the opposite of a colorblind society by making race the issue, not qualifications.
I agree that Affirmative Action is inherently racist.  I do not agree that we need to get rid of affirmative action in the near future.  In 5-10 years, probably.  I think the next generation will have been raised with enough intelligence that we will not need flawed laws to promote equality.
Fancy_Pollux
Connoisseur of Fine Wine
+1,306|6653
Also, the "gangsta" image that Hip-hop culture portrays needs to die. People should listen to Bill Cosby.
Cougar
Banned
+1,962|6772|Dallas

Kmarion wrote:

If I reminded them at the same time that we are still friends then yes I would say it would be showing everyone how far we have come.
Ahh, but we are not friends you see.  We simply tolerate each other and try to accept each other in a increasingly more intimate culture, society and living space.  Which is precisely my point, the complete obliteration of racism and discrimination is not yet complete, and this type of thing does not help, it only reminds people of the bad things. 

That is my main problem with black history month.  It's not a problem that the month is dedicated to blacks, it's a problem that it is used to separate races and remind people of how barbaric people once were.  If we do it for blacks then we should have a month for Jews to remember the holocaust, a month for Asians to remember the nearly slave labor on the railroads and overall poor treatment given thereafter, a month for Native Americans to remember the "genocides" and stealing of their lands, a month for the Irish to remember how they were discriminated against in the early 1800's and so on and so forth.
topal63
. . .
+533|6725

Fancy_Pollux wrote:

While I agree with that statement in principle... such considerations aim for a color-blind society; but actually create another form of thing they wish to eliminate.

And... understanding your own ability to discriminate is an internal personal responsibility - not something you can simply legislate out of existence. Trying to legislate stupidity or ignorance out of existence is an absurdity.

What if there is a real disparity of achievement:
Academic
Economic
or whatever...

Do you just ignore the disparity? Is it OK just say I don't give FUCK pull your bootstraps up loser?
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6608|132 and Bush

Cougar wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Ahh, but we are not friends you see.  We simply tolerate each other and try to accept each other in a increasingly more intimate culture, society and living space.  Which is precisely my point, the complete obliteration of racism and discrimination is not yet complete, and this type of thing does not help, it only reminds people of the bad things. 

That is my main problem with black history month.  It's not a problem that the month is dedicated to blacks, it's a problem that it is used to separate races and remind people of how barbaric people once were.  If we do it for blacks then we should have a month for Jews to remember the holocaust, a month for Asians to remember the nearly slave labor on the railroads and overall poor treatment given thereafter, a month for Native Americans to remember the "genocides" and stealing of their lands, a month for the Irish to remember how they were discriminated against in the early 1800's and so on and so forth.
So in order to obliterate it we must ignore history? We come from different cultures and races, there is nothing wrong with that. We must get this in our heads. This doesn't mean you have to look the other way anytime someone presents a historical fact. I'm not here advocating Black history month neither, timing is everything I guess. The solution is when we can realize that although we have faced challenges in the past, it is who we are today that defines us. There is no need to tell someone to go fuck themselves because they believe this.

Last edited by Kmarion (2007-02-05 18:15:57)

Xbone Stormsurgezz
Cougar
Banned
+1,962|6772|Dallas

Kmarion wrote:

So in order to obliterate it we must ignore history? We come from different cultures and races, there is nothing wrong with that. We must get this in our heads. This doesn't mean you have to look the other way anytime someone presents a historical fact. I'm not here advocating Black history month neither, timing is everything I guess. The solution is when we can realize that although we have faced challenges in the past, it is who we are today that defines us. There is no need to tell someone to go fuck themselves because they believe this.
Thats not what I said.  What I'm trying to get across is that, if you focus on the good rather than the bad, it works out faster and better. 

Take the Irish for example.  You may or may not know the discrimination and persicution that the Irish faced back in the 1800's and into the early 1900's.  However, today, how much bad shit do you ever hear about the Irish?  Do you even care if someone is Irish?  Also, now that I think about it, the Irish have their own "mini history thing" called St. Patty's day and we all know what a hoot that can be. 

So explain why Black History month seems to dredge these horrible images, memories, sights and sounds back up all the while hoping to heal wounds and move forward?  The Irish just throw a big ass party and everyone is as happy as can be. 

Which seems more logical?
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6608|132 and Bush

Cougar wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Thats not what I said.  What I'm trying to get across is that, if you focus on the good rather than the bad, it works out faster and better. 

Take the Irish for example.  You may or may not know the discrimination and persicution that the Irish faced back in the 1800's and into the early 1900's.  However, today, how much bad shit do you ever hear about the Irish?  Do you even care if someone is Irish?  Also, now that I think about it, the Irish have their own "mini history thing" called St. Patty's day and we all know what a hoot that can be. 

So explain why Black History month seems to dredge these horrible images, memories, sights and sounds back up all the while hoping to heal wounds and move forward?  The Irish just throw a big ass party and everyone is as happy as can be. 

Good for the Irish. Looking back at atrocities it does not seem to me as if we should be partying. Are we supposed to have a gala event to remind us of the holocaust? The Irish do not have St Patrick's day to celebrate their discrimination.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6536|Global Command

Cougar wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

A glaringly obvious difference would be the lynchings, fire hoses and attack dogs, fer Christ sakes man its as obvious as the nose on yer face.
It was a bad idea for you to post in this thread if you didn't like it, that's one of the things your always going on tirades about, isn't it?

Hypocrisy doesn't fit you well, to are too prolific to squander your otherwise good reputation.
Now, enough of this.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6412|North Carolina

Cougar wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Cougar wrote:

t. 

Ohh yeah, let me guess, I'm a racist for having an opinion.
No your ignorant for thinking you know me enough to give me a label.
yeah, and your ignorant enough to try and shove this shit down my throat and make me and everyone else that shares my skin color feel bad for what our fathers, grandfathers and great-grandfathers did.  Fuck that and fuck you.
Cougar, I often find myself in agreement with you, but what the hell man?

What's with the attitude?...
ATG
Banned

Turquoise wrote:

Cougar wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

No your ignorant for thinking you know me enough to give me a label.
yeah, and your ignorant enough to try and shove this shit down my throat and make me and everyone else that shares my skin color feel bad for what our fathers, grandfathers and great-grandfathers did.  Fuck that and fuck you.
Cougar, I often find myself in agreement with you, but what the hell man?

What's with the attitude?...
Good question.

Cougar wrote:

Wow, you people like to whine and cry over some meaningless shit. 

If you don't like the thread then don't fucking read it you goddamned fucking morons!!

Cougar wrote:

I have seen many Shepherd's in this forum that didn't even know they were Shepherd's.  The people who help each other, be it sigs, game support, answering questions, writing guides or just being helpful.  People who educate by putting search links in their signatures or posting links in threads to answer someone who needed help.  People who actively defend against idiots, the derailers and hijackers who do it the right way, etc etc etc.  Each person has the ability to make this an even better place that will endure beyond BF2, BF2142, BF3 and beyond.  This is no longer a stats forum, it has evolved into a community, a very large community.

It's time for the Shepherds to rise up together.
Cougar my love, you have gone astray. Come back to the pack before the wolves eat you.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6412|North Carolina

l=l-Oneill-l=l wrote:

After watching that video, I have to say one thing. What Civil war was all about. Freeing slaves. But up until 1950's when President was trying to put black and whites together, black people felt like slaves in southern states.
Two key facts here....

First, the Civil War was primarily about economic conflicts of interest: the industrialized North vs. the agricultural South.  Slavery was just a convenient "moral" facade that Lincoln brought up near the end of the war.  The true "morality" of the North was shown in the abuses of Reconstruction and by Sherman's burning of Atlanta.

Second, the worst race riots during the civil rights movement were in Boston and Detroit -- 2 Northern cities.

Last edited by Turquoise (2007-02-05 19:15:55)

Major_Spittle
Banned
+276|6662|United States of America
The greatest thing to protect civil liberties and prevent racism is for the government not to ever ask what race someone belongs too.  If we are all to be equal the government should not acknowlege race, skin color, eye color, hair color, elc. and treat people differently based upon it.

2 wrongs don't make a right.  The US government is far from color blind, and perfers negros more than hispanics, hispanics more than asians, asians more than white.  WTF is "white" anyway.  Why would someone from Korea be different than someone from Italy, Norway, or Ireland.  Why would someone with no skin pigment be from Africa be different than someone with Dark skin pigment from Africa? 

it is all racist.
Cougar
Banned
+1,962|6772|Dallas

ATG wrote:

A glaringly obvious difference would be the lynchings, fire hoses and attack dogs, fer Christ sakes man its as obvious as the nose on yer face.
It was a bad idea for you to post in this thread if you didn't like it, that's one of the things your always going on tirades about, isn't it?

Hypocrisy doesn't fit you well, to are too prolific to squander your otherwise good reputation.
Now, enough of this.
There is a difference between not liking the existance of a thread and simply disagreeing with the subject of the thread.  If what you say were true, then you shouldn't have posted in any of the "Israel is the devil" threads and the D&ST section would not exist.  I refer to the threads such as "check my stats", "goodbye everyone" and "OMG N00B ADMIN HAXOR$!!11".

Also, I'm very careful not to consciously commit acts of hypocrisy.  As it stands now, I don't think anyone here has ever been able to show hypocrisy on my part.  Perhaps you should ponder a fact of the matter before you go accusing someone who can confidently defend themselves and back-up what they say.

Aye Friend. 

Kmarion wrote:

Good for the Irish. Looking back at atrocities it does not seem to me as if we should be partying. Are we supposed to have a gala event to remind us of the holocaust? The Irish do not have St Patrick's day to celebrate their discrimination.
The Irish had their fair share of atrocities, just like all the other races of the world has.  Literally every race on Earth has had some sort of atrocity pitted against them at some point in time, so why are Black people special?  The Irish do not celebrate the atrocities, they celebrate their achievements.  Thats how it should work.

Last edited by Cougar (2007-02-05 19:35:45)

ATG
Banned

Cougar wrote:

ATG wrote:

Now, enough of this.
There is a difference between not liking the existance of a thread and simply disagreeing with the subject of the thread.  If what you say were true, then you shouldn't have posted in any of the "Israel is the devil" threads and the D&ST section would not exist.  I refer to the threads such as "check my stats", "goodbye everyone" and "OMG N00B ADMIN HAXOR$!!11".

Also, I'm very careful not to consciously commit acts of hypocrisy.  As it stands now, I don't think anyone here has ever been able to show hypocrisy on my part.  Perhaps you should ponder a fact of the matter before you go accusing someone who can confidently defend themselves and back-up what they say.

Aye Friend. 

Kmarion wrote:

The Irish had their fair share of atrocities, just like all the other races of the world has.  Literally every race on Earth has had some sort of atrocity pitted against them at some point in time, so why are Black people special?  The Irish do not celebrate the atrocities, they celebrate their achievements.  Thats how it should work.
I'm still not clear; why are you being such an ass lately?
I only ask because I care.
Friend

You own the , not me.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard