Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6441|The Land of Scott Walker

Kmarion wrote:

m3thod wrote:

And im not attached to any cloth.
The cloth is representative of the soldiers that protect it. That is why so many are upset.
Exactly, speak to any war veteran and they will explain what the flag means to them. 

It's not a bad thing to have pride in one's country and fly the flag.  No matter what nation you visit, you typically see their flag flying (except the US where idiots are "offended" by it, so the flag isn't seen as much).  The flag represents their country and sometimes even their culture and they have a right to that pride.  If one is offended by that gesture, they need to get a life.  I'm still not sure when this right to be "offended" started trumping everyone else's rights.  Oh, that's right, when the stupid PC movement came to town.   It offends me that they want to make this lady take down her flag, do I count?

[TFT]Hostage wrote:

She has 3 options

1. Deal with it.
2. Move
3. Leave the country

It is our nations flag, there should be a law that no one can request and/or demand it be removed from anywhere.
+1 QFT

Last edited by Stingray24 (2007-02-05 09:03:14)

DoctorFruitloop
Level 13 Wrongdoer
+515|6542|Doncaster, UK
It's difficult to make any kind of comment here without a little more information. What exactly is the issue? What are the plaintif's reasons for wanting the flag removed. A simple "it offends me" is difficult to justify when it is the single most powerful image of your country's national identity.

It'll be very interesting to see how this story pans out. Can we keep it updated with more information when the newsies get there?
=MCHD= arush5268d
+46|6497|Houston, TX

venom6 wrote:

No offens but the historical Hungarian flag is older then the US one...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/h … savval.png
Ummm...okay.  What does that have to do with anything???  There are tons of countries with flags that are much older than the US's.  The age of the flag is not the issue here.  Try to keep up with the rest of the class before you post.
smtt686
this is the best we can do?
+95|6627|USA

Bubbalo wrote:

=MCHD= arush5268d wrote:

I don't see how he was making an ass of himself.  His comment about the liberals is pretty much dead-on-balls accurate.
Right, and you say this based on......................?

=MCHD= arush5268d wrote:

On a side note..... Yeah, um....about your sig...
How does Australia own everyone?  Just curious, cuz they aren't so much a 'superpower.'  I'm not bashing Australia...just don't see how you can say that Australia owns everyone.
I smell jealousy...........................
I smell a joke........................
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6596|132 and Bush

venom6 wrote:

None taken. This computer is older than the one I have now.
https://i9.tinypic.com/2emldas.jpg
(It actually was my first computer)

Last edited by Kmarion (2007-02-05 09:23:52)

Xbone Stormsurgezz
=MCHD= arush5268d
+46|6497|Houston, TX

Kmarion wrote:

venom6 wrote:

http://i9.tinypic.com/2emldas.jpg
Too funny.

I think that we can pretty much call this thread derailed.  Which is a shame, because it started off very valid, yet it was quickly destroyed (once again) by immaturity and pre-teens.
astdanno
+8|6738|New York

TigerXtrm wrote:

Okay I'll just respond to this and then I think I'm gonna drop it, since counter views are obviously welcomed with loaded shotguns around here...

The flag of the United States of America stands primarily for freedom, liberty and rights given to you by your constitution and Declaration of Independence. Your flag doesn't stand for space programs, car manufacturers or airplane companies so keep them out of your crazy list of things to be proud off... Seriously are you proud of your entire country because you have a Boeing factory around the corner? Good thinking mate...

The point I tried to make entirely may shock some people, but is true whether you like it or not. Everything that flag stands for is gone.
Freedom? You lost it after 9/11, dispite what people might think, putting a building there and calling it the freedom tower isn't gonna give it back to you. Your government is allowed to tap your phone, track your creditcard records, track what you do online, track what your kids do in school and what your husband does when he's out getting icecream and they don't even need a valid reason to do so. On top of that, they may arrest you and hold you even if you are somehow indirectly suspected of terrorism. If thats freedom then thanks but no thanks. You're being imprisoned by your own government at this point.
Also rights given to you by the constitution and the Declaration of Independance have slowly started vanishing. Separation of church and state for example has been thrown out the window years ago. Taxes have been trough the roof there as far as I know and gas prices apparently are even worse then over here.
What about the right to have the people vote for their leader as it is given in, I think, the constitution? Both elections were rigged, which has been pretty much proven, so thats not a right you have anymore either.

In the traditional sense of the values of America, do you have anything left to be proud off? Knowing what that flag represents, do you still believe you are putting out on your porch in good faith and that everything that flag stands for is still upheld? If so, you are mistaking, just like that patriotic woman who is just blindly patriotic, like someone else put it for me so nicely.
And yes of course, being the people living under that flag it is your duty to make sure those morals are upheld at all times. But I don't see any of you extreme pro Americans do anything to fix it. Maybe because you deny everything I just said is true, or maybe because you are to cowardly to step up and choose to hide behind a flag instead. I don't care for the reason, but the things that flag stands for have been lost a long time ago, and I stand by my opinion of that.

Now, I hope I'm gonna get some mature responses to this because I'm not even gonna pay attention to all you 'OMG LOSER ANTI AMERICAN FAG' idiots. If you have a valid counter point to make and you can make it in a mature fashion, then please do so. Otherwise, don't waste my time.

Tiger
I have to agree that there has been very little tolerance on this thread.  I don't really understand why it is that so many folks want to speak in absolutes, and make final judgements without considering what really matters most - the impact on people.  This impact cannot be determined by simply making a list of what appears to be going wrong and then judging an entire society.  That would be incredibly short-sighted.

First, let me say, I am proud to be an american.  It is my heritage.  I will always be proud to be an american, that is something that can never be taken away from me.  The symbol of my american heritage is the american flag, therefefore I will always be proud to fly it.  The current state of affairs in the USA will not deter me from doing so.   With that said, that does not mean that I will make excuses for, nor condone poor judgement on behalf of the United States government.  The United States of America is both the most prosperous and the most controversial country on the face of the earth.  We will always be under a microscope domestically and internationally.  We should be.  We have placed ourselves on the forefront of the global economy and political world stage and therefore must bare the responsibilities and criticism that goes with it.  The fuel for these responsaes can be rooted in many things - jealously, resentment, defensiveness, mis-trust, dislike, injustice - you name it.  To quote a recent movie, "With great power comes great responsibility", and yes, that power has at times been abused and our leaders have not always been responsibile.  That is part of being a super power that makes mistakes and must learn from them - sometimes it happens the hard way where people die in unexpected ways.

Yes, the flag of the United States of America does stand for freedom, but it also stands for protection from threats to that freedom both domestic and abroad.  I do not know the exact circumstances of those who have been detained by homeland security because of elevated terrorist threats in this country, but I do know that the intelligence to be more specific about targeted threats is increasing.  This does take time however.  Homeland Security certainly is aware that continuing to cast a wide net to try and stop terrorist plots takes far too much effort and yields poor results, so more specific intelligence and surveillance measures are being developed.  However, this has not made us a society of hostages, nor has it desecrated the freedoms the Decleration of Independance afford us.  The most the majority of americans have been affected is by slower airport security.  That is certainly not "imprisonment by our government" - again an absolute statement that knows nothing about the real impact on the american people.

> Knowing what that flag represents, do you still believe you are putting out on your porch in good faith and that everything that flag stands for is still upheld?

What I know is that this country is no more perfect than the Netherlands, and never will be.  America will always have it's faults, but what you need to understand is that your perception of America from the media is not what we actually live here.  Freedom, democracy, protection are things we will always strive for, but never fully attain.  I have travelled to over 20 states in this country in the last 6 years, and nothing is as you desribe it.  Our freedom and democracy is as strong as ever.  Yes, we are a nation that disagrees over our involvement in war, but we are not a nation that is self-imploding as you describe it.  No, rather, we are a nation that is figuring out how to get out of an ugly war and how to protect ourselves from terrorists attacks, like the WTC attack, that is on a scale the world has never seen.  This is not a perfect process, we are not a perfect people and it is a journey.  The mistakes made along the way do not suddenly make me turn against my country, they do not stop me from loving my fellow americans, and they do not put me in a state of shame or fear.  Sorry, but those traits are for cowards.  Rather, the problems we are facing require us to take notice, be even more patriotic and encourage to not hide in our homes for fear of terrorist attacks.  We will continue living as free people, and yes, we will continue to be proud to fly the american flag.

The history of the United States has always been one of internal struggle and then improvement.  From the revolutonary war, the civil war, civil rights movement, etc.  None of these improvements have been perfect or absolute nor will they ever be.  They have all come with struggle and pain.  It's not a switch that you flip, it's a life process that we have to live and struggle through.  Why should our current state be any different?  We have to get through these times, learn from what's happened and continue to change and improve.

Pretty easy to pass judement on another country in which you do no live isn't it?  You just watch some TV, google a bunch of websites and you've got it all figured out?  Doesn't work that way.  You need to talk to real people who live everyday lives in this country, who are raising a family as I am.  Folks who value living free and opportunity for prosperity.  Sometimes everyday folk are called upon to make hard decisions, like go to war and possbily give up our lives because freedom often comes with sacrifice.  You'll find we are not much different from folks in the Netherlands.  I hope you love your country too Tiger, even with it's faults.

Tiger, I wish you all the best in the Netherlands, and hope that as a country you will never have to face some of what the US has.  Regardless, if you do some day, I hope you will never be ashamed enough to hide your countries flag or feel like you are no longer proud of it.  Stand tall and speak out for what you believe, never walk away in shame.   Put your love of country above the mistakes it's leaders might make.  Use your voice to vote for leaders you think will serve the country best.

Last edited by astdanno (2007-02-05 14:41:10)

=MCHD= arush5268d
+46|6497|Houston, TX

astdanno wrote:

TigerXtrm wrote:

Okay I'll just respond to this and then I think I'm gonna drop it, since counter views are obviously welcomed with loaded shotguns around here...

The flag of the United States of America stands primarily for freedom, liberty and rights given to you by your constitution and Declaration of Independence. Your flag doesn't stand for space programs, car manufacturers or airplane companies so keep them out of your crazy list of things to be proud off... Seriously are you proud of your entire country because you have a Boeing factory around the corner? Good thinking mate...

Tiger
I have to agree that there has been very little tolerance on this thread.  I don't really understand why it is that so many folks want to speak in absolutes, and make final judgements without considering what really matters most - the impact on people.  This impact cannot be determined by simply making a list of what appears to be going wrong and then judging an entire society.  That would be incredibly short-sighted.

First, let me say, I am proud to be an american.
That whole multi-paragraphed bit was beautifuly stated, and very truthful.  +1
hate&discontent
USMC 0311 SEMPER FI
+69|6384|USA, MICHIGAN
I am a VET. (Former MARINE), and i always have a flag on my porch, i don't have the correct lighting so it comes in the house at dusk everynight.  If someone wants to fly the AMERICAN, let them don't be an asshole about it.  That goes for everyone else in different Countries, be proud, support your country.  If u think that a flag is just a piece of cloth, them you ought to be ashamed of yourself, it dosen't matter what country you live in, your people have died defending your country, and your flag was there.  Is there alot of stuff here in the U.S. fucked up, hell yes there is, but guess what....if you don't like it you can get the fuck out!!!  And for that bitch that wants her neighbor to remove her flag, NO WAY!  They need to kick that bitch out of the neighborhood for being an asshole, better yet, once every week, put about 25-30 mini-flags in her yard, just to piss her off!!!
TigerXtrm
Death by Indecency
+51|6364|Netherlands

Pretty easy to pass judement on another country in which you do no live isn't it?  You just watch some TV, google a bunch of websites and you've got it all figured out?  Doesn't work that way.  You need to talk to real people who live everyday lives in this country, who are raising a family as I am.  Folks who value living free and have opporunity for prosperity.  Sometimes everyday folk are called upon to make hard decisions, like go to war and possbily give up our lives because freedom often comes with sacrifice.  You'll find we are not much different from folks in the Netherlands.  I hope you love your country too Tiger, even with it's faults.
Just because I don't live there doesn't mean I can't have an opinion about the country. I get my opinion from facts on TV yes, but the news merely delivers what others have said. In no way can I get a wrong view of the world by watching the news, at least not here in the Netherlands. I have heard my share of stories about American news channels but I never watch those so I'm not passing any judgment over them.
When I form an opinion, I base it on facts I know. And as I like to say, an opinion is created when mixing a fact with morals.

Fact + Morals = Opinion (Heck I could be the next Einstein!)

For example, fact is that America is being screwed up the ass by Bush right now. Most Americans, you said it yourself, agree with that. But unlike you, I would not continue to be proud to be American if my country would do some of the most horrific things in history (just to name an example). I guess thats a cultural thing but it's also a moral that derived from that. You and me have different morals, thus we have different opinions.

You have your views from the inside, I give my views from the outside. I have yet to visit America sometime, but I certainly plan on doing it sometime. Maybe my opinions about it will be changed completely, but from the facts I know now I have formed my current opinions. And I expect people to respect that just as much as I respect their opinion.

Now have Karma for that well thought out post you managed to write out.

Tiger
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6596|132 and Bush

=MCHD= arush5268d wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

venom6 wrote:

http://i9.tinypic.com/2emldas.jpg
Too funny.

I think that we can pretty much call this thread derailed.  Which is a shame, because it started off very valid, yet it was quickly destroyed (once again) by immaturity and pre-teens.
In case you didn't understand why I posted that it was a response to venom6 stating his flag was older. In no sense did that have any relevance and I was pointing out the absurdity of it.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
astdanno
+8|6738|New York

TigerXtrm wrote:

Pretty easy to pass judement on another country in which you do no live isn't it?  You just watch some TV, google a bunch of websites and you've got it all figured out?  Doesn't work that way.  You need to talk to real people who live everyday lives in this country, who are raising a family as I am.  Folks who value living free and have opporunity for prosperity.  Sometimes everyday folk are called upon to make hard decisions, like go to war and possbily give up our lives because freedom often comes with sacrifice.  You'll find we are not much different from folks in the Netherlands.  I hope you love your country too Tiger, even with it's faults.
Just because I don't live there doesn't mean I can't have an opinion about the country. I get my opinion from facts on TV yes, but the news merely delivers what others have said. In no way can I get a wrong view of the world by watching the news, at least not here in the Netherlands. I have heard my share of stories about American news channels but I never watch those so I'm not passing any judgment over them.
When I form an opinion, I base it on facts I know. And as I like to say, an opinion is created when mixing a fact with morals.

Fact + Morals = Opinion (Heck I could be the next Einstein!)

For example, fact is that America is being screwed up the ass by Bush right now. Most Americans, you said it yourself, agree with that. But unlike you, I would not continue to be proud to be American if my country would do some of the most horrific things in history (just to name an example). I guess thats a cultural thing but it's also a moral that derived from that. You and me have different morals, thus we have different opinions.

You have your views from the inside, I give my views from the outside. I have yet to visit America sometime, but I certainly plan on doing it sometime. Maybe my opinions about it will be changed completely, but from the facts I know now I have formed my current opinions. And I expect people to respect that just as much as I respect their opinion.

Now have Karma for that well thought out post you managed to write out.

Tiger
Appreciate your response Tiger.  I wish you the best and hope you have a chance to visit someday - there are some on this forum who would like to shoot, woops, I mean meet you someday. :-)  *joke*

As for Bush, I don't feel it was his intentions for America to be caught up in an ugly war, I believe he truly thought he was taking out a serious threat in the middle east, as did many members of congress, etc, at the time.  Problem is, he's already admitted to running the war poorly, and bad intelligence(no WMD's) and now it's become much tougher to trust both his judgement and those around him.

The coming elections in 2008 should be very interesting.  Take care.
Sgt.Gh0st
Pump-Action Pimp
+16|6778|The Hague, Holland
You give em one finger..
.. And next they will be wanting the hand
commissargizz
+123|6459| Heaven
Tiger,

There are periods in all country's history that it's people are ashamed of. To some in the US it is now with the Bush administration. Once he is gone lets hope more sensible people are put into power and right any wrongs he has done. there is a lot of bad coming from the US but there is a lot of good too. But the bad always gets heard. We always like to see the worst, human nature?

I would like to see both Bush and Blair at The Hague to answer what for what they have done. And on that matter why wasn't Saddam sent there?
Major_Spittle
Banned
+276|6650|United States of America
A group of American extermists needs to form up and make people like that disappear to never be seen again.

What would have happened to her during WWII when Americans still had balls and pride.  Shave her head in public and make her wear an armband so we know she is the enemy of America.
Pierre
I hunt criminals down for a living
+68|6671|Belgium

TigerXtrm wrote:

Knowing that I QFT your post, this is where I would like to draw the line.

I strongly agree the current US administration is destroying all real 'American' values such as freedom and personal liberty, as you quoted, which is nothing to be proud of, but it doesn't mean those values are lost forever. I trust there are enough Americans who want their liberties back, and IMO the US is still a country to be proud of and to respect (I admit I was joking around with usmarine earlier, but he didn't took the bait).

@ astdanno: very impressive post, now go and take your country back !
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6710|US

TigerXtrm wrote:

In no way can I get a wrong view of the world by watching the news, at least not here in the Netherlands. ...

When I form an opinion, I base it on facts I know.
I disagree here.  Virtually all news sources will show the sensational stories and report it with some bias.  It is merely the extent of the bias that changes.  Trusting in the primacy of the press is not always wise.

You may form your opinion on the facts you know, but you do not know all the facts.  No one will likely ever know the full truth about something they did not witness, research, and fully question. 

If we read some blatantly liberal and conservative news sources, then read a bunch of moderate ones, I think we would all get a slightly better picture the real situation. (my opinion anyway)
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6767|PNW

topal63 wrote:

Mason4Assassin444 wrote:

usmarine2007 wrote:

This is what happens when liberals make rules.
http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/8720/bush911twb2.jpg

There is a non liberal disgracing the American Flag by stepping on it. A no-no Mr. Bush.

Its ridiculous to blame liberals. They have so many retarded rules in these home associations its more of a class thing than political. No chain link fences, no clotheslines, no flagpoles, not satellite dishes. People move into 500,000 dollar homes and PAY an association fee to live there and they have to abide by these shitty rules, they feel everyone else has to too.

I think the flag rule should change but thats been a debate for a while as each of these cases pops up.
You are absolutely RIGHT!

I live in an upscale community and OF COURSE we have an H.O.A. It is ABSURD and BEYOND annoying having to deal with the IDIOTS that LIVE RIGHT NEXT TO ME!

One WONDERFUL neighbor, sued the H.O.A., after the H.O.A. approved a landscaping plan-upgrade on another LOT. After a NEW hedge was placed. The homeowner sued the H.O.A. claiming un-written prescriptive rights to an aerial-view easement to the lake that was now blocked by the new hedge. He lost but it cost a considerable amount of money for the H.O.A. to legally defend itself. I of course got a special assessment for this non-sense.
That's why I'd never live in one of those places. I cherish my personal freedoms too much to give them up.
golgoj4
+51|6770|North Hollywood

deeznutz1245 wrote:

Ok, as many of you know I am a former Marine. I am also in the American Legion Post #40 in East Windsor, CT. Tonight I was attending a super bowl party at the Legion Hall and a petition came across the table. I began to read the petition and almost lost my mind. A woman in town who is a widower, owns a condo and has an American Flag mounted on her porch. Her late husband is a Veteran and her son is currently serving in Iraq so she is especially patriotic. A woman (neighbor) is protesting her having the Flag on display and the Condo Association has told her to remove it. The Condo Association rules state that you are allowed to have flags no larger than a certain size (this one is within regulation) if they do not impose a threat or likewise offend any other Condo owners. This particular woman says she is "offended" and wants it gone. She is refusing to remove it and I dont blame her. Our local news station is supposed to go there this week so when they do I will provide a link if there is one available but I wanted to hear your thoughts on this before hand. My thoughts: Fuck that bitch, hippy fucking dueche bag anti American whore. She feels she is offended that the Flag is there, I would feel equally offended if it wasnt. I do not know the womans ethnicity or political affiliation but I swear to God if she is a fucking Muslim I am going to go apeshit. Discuss.
on 1st inspection of your story...

I dont know what the precedent is...but eff the broad. Normally im all about the rules so to speak, but if America offends you, leave. And quickly. We'll mail you your shit. This may be somewhat hypocritical of me, but the Stars and Bars should be allowed to fly uninhibited by any lameass law or HOA rules. I know people (not this woman mentioned in the story) such as Donald Trump in Fl and others take advantage of the flag to 'stand out', but in this situation, I don't think the person who wants it down has any right to speak, much less be in the country.

But considering its a condo an I deal with homeowners associations in my daily life, god only knows what she signed away upon purchase of said condo. I hope she wins her fight and that the other broad falls off the planet. Im mean, even if I was living in France, SOMEHOW!!! i couldn't abide telling a Frenchman to take down his colors. Just crossing the line...

as far as the 'if shes Muslim bit' and 'hippie this or that' well, thats just the neo-con in you i suppose. But I agree with you on not striking the flag.
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6732|Salt Lake City

Part of what you have to deal with when you live in a condo community is this very type of thing.  Some one posted something about restrictions on this, but I wasn't aware that such a law had been passed at the federal level.  If that is the case, then the condo association will have to change their rules accordingly.  If this is not a law, then as much as many may dislike it, this lady will have to follow the condo association rules, or move into a private residence that is not part of a community that can set such rules (condo and gated communities).
Chuckles
+32|6543

DBBrinson1 wrote:

Chuckles wrote:

deeznutz1245 wrote:

You have wagered wrong. It is a standard inclement weather flag.
Oh really?  I'd gotten the impression you'd not seen it yet.  Tell me, is it illuminated properly during all hours of darkness?  And did the woman in question observe the recent 30 days of mourning for President Ford's death by displaying the flag at half mast?
I bet you don't even own a flag.
You'd really want to make that bet?  That doesn't seem like such a good idea if you really stop an think about it, does it?

But really, why would it matter?
Chuckles
+32|6543

usmarine2007 wrote:

Bubbalo wrote:

usmarine2007 wrote:

This is what happens when liberals make rules.
So, you've spoken to the landlord then?  Or are you just making an ass of youself like usual?
What country do you live in?  Trust me, this is the work of liberal pussies.
Believe me when I tell you that the vast majority of HOA or COA rules are drafted by little blue haired conservatives.  Think about it:  Why do these rules even exist?  To protect their property values.  That, and enforcing them gives them some misguided power trip when they go around and enforce their rules.  They're little Nazi's about it.  Little Nazi's not wanting the riff-raff cluttering up their pretty little retirement community.

Try planting the wrong species of tree in one of those neighborhoods.  They'll be out there hitting you Whit their walkers.  And whatever you do, don't hang a little kid's swing from your front porch for your baby to play in.  That's a $100 fine.  It was better back in the old days, when they could exclude those damn colored folk too.  Except for "domestic help", they were ok.
Superslim
BF2s Frat Brother
+211|6687|Calgary
ummm. NO   the flag stays up  and YES a cock in her ass, sounds like what she wants 
Superslim
BF2s Frat Brother
+211|6687|Calgary

venom6 wrote:

FTW!
Home
Section.80
+447|6843|Seattle, Washington, USA

{C4C}Phoenix wrote:

I say we stone her ass back to the Middle East and let her live with the other "ANIMALS" on the planet!!
Yeah. Because every middle eastern person is an animal and should be treated as such.

You are the animal. You are the pig that makes me embarassed to say, "I live in America."

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard