Yaocelotl
:D
+221|6667|Keyboard
Just wow Video here.
acEofspadEs6313
Shiny! Let's be bad guys.
+102|6710|NAS Jacksonville, Florida
Awesome video.

Just wait for all of them armchair "tank experts" to come along and start a flame war over what MBT is better, and grab some popcorn.
some_random_panda
Flamesuit essential
+454|6408

Tanks are starting to lose their usefulness - they have massive blind spots, they can overheat easily, they guzzle fuel and the cooling system is vulnerable to rockets.

Now where is a hot place where tanks are frequently used?

Answer: I_aq.
MoonShadow616
Doesn't read the Whole Thread
+16|6639|Japan
The Challenger 2 MBT walks all over the M1 Abrams.
cdogmn31
Banned
+0|6309
vidoe good, music sucks
Reciprocity
+721|6598|the dank(super) side of Oregon

MoonShadow616 wrote:

there's always some limey around to chime in.
Fenris_GreyClaw
Real Хорошо
+826|6537|Adelaide, South Australia

MoonShadow616 wrote:

QFT
SgtHeihn
Should have ducked
+394|6504|Ham Lake, MN (Fucking Cold)
What do you all base you opinions on that the Challenger 2 owns the M1A2? I have seen plenty of documentaries on the military channel where Professors from the Royal Military Academy at Sandhurst says different
spray_and_pray
+52|6509|Perth. Western Australia

SgtHeihn wrote:

What do you all base you opinions on that the Challenger 2 owns the M1A2? I have seen plenty of documentaries on the military channel where Professors from the Royal Military Academy at Sandhurst says different
Because the US is ordering Challenger 2's... Would they have done that if their tank is king? The C2 also has the best armour in the world. Go figure.
SgtHeihn
Should have ducked

spray_and_pray wrote:

SgtHeihn wrote:

Because the US is ordering Challenger 2's... Would they have done that if their tank is king? The C2 also has the best armour in the world. Go figure.
Over 8,800 M1 and M1A1 tanks have been produced at a cost of $2,350,000-4,300,000 per unit, depending on the variant.

Export variants, with the export armor package and different options (such as multi-fuel diesel engines) of the M1 Abrams are also used by the militaries of:

* Australia (59 M1A1 AIM, to enter service in 2007).
    * Egypt (880 M1A1)
    * Saudi Arabia (315 M1A2)
    * Kuwait (218 M1A2)
    * Also tested but not adopted by Sweden, Greece and a number of other nations.
I have searched the web and I can not find anything about the US buying the Challenger 2, I would like to see the story

Edit: M829 "Silver Bullet" APFSDS rounds from other M1A1 Abrams were unable to penetrate the front and side armor (even at close ranges) in friendly fire incidents as well as an incident in which another Abrams tried to destroy an Abrams that got stuck in mud and had to be abandoned.
That is the Sabot round that punchs through tanks, Considered to be the best AT round in the world

Last edited by SgtHeihn (2007-02-05 01:23:39)

delta4bravo*nl*
Dutch Delight
+68|6770
Still, the Abraham's is overrated... yes it fine when fighting a bad army.
fight against a another good army and the Abraham's will quickly disappear, their heat signature is as loud as the sun on 12 noon.
the Challenger 2 and Leopard 2 A6 are the better tanks.

forgot to ad that the Abrahams is a real Gas drinker.
changing the engine for a Leopard is 20 minutes and 24 hours for a Abrahams.

Last edited by delta4bravo*nl* (2007-02-05 01:27:51)

legionair
back to i-life
+336|6641|EU

if you have problems with russian... sorry

show me something in which Abrams is better then T-90!
SgtHeihn
Should have ducked

delta4bravo*nl* wrote:

Still, the Abraham's is overrated... yes it fine when fighting a bad army.
fight against a another good army and the Abraham's will quickly disappear, their heat signature is as loud as the sun on 12 noon.
the Challenger 2 and Leopard 2 A6 are the better tanks.

forgot to ad that the Abrahams is a real Gas drinker.
changing the engine for a Leopard is 20 minutes and 24 hours for a Abrahams.
At least you threw in some comparisons, the engine on the M1 doesn't take that long, I will ask my buddies that are tankers how long it takes exactly, and on the MPG, you hit that nail on the head.

But everyone is saying tanks that have never been in combat are better than a tank that is combat proven.
legionair
back to i-life
+336|6641|EU

SgtHeihn wrote:

But everyone is saying tanks that have never been in combat are better than a tank that is combat proven.
Do u mean Chechnya?
BALTINS
ಠ_ಠ
+37|6504|Latvia

sdlettonieCZLV wrote:

Don't be too proud of russian equipment, we'll be seing them live soon enough...

Krievi nāk.. labi jokojos tikai
SgtHeihn
Should have ducked

sdlettonieCZLV wrote:

SgtHeihn wrote:

Do u mean Chechnya?
Only thing I've heard about Chechnya is that a Russian armored regiment got wiped out, and how many tanks do  the Chechnyians have?
ozzie_johnson
+98|6675|Penrith, N.S.W, Australia
nice vid +1
legionair
back to i-life
+336|6641|EU

a wise man once said: american armor is undestroyable only by american weapons, american jets are invisible only to american radars ... etc

Im not saying that you (Americans) havent good technics and army, but plz admit that it doesnt mean you are the best at everything, not even close...

/end
The_Guardsman
Tally Ho!!
+81|6762|I'm not sure.... Buts its dark

sdlettonieCZLV wrote:

Would be great..... If l could understand what he was saying!

On the best tank in the world debate... you have to inclued if its battle proven or not and the training of the crew inside it. You could have the best Tank in the world with a bunch of monkeys working it!
The M1 is battle proven along with the Challenger, a couple of Russian T varient tanks (not including the T90) And maybe the Israeli tank Merkava.
Some of the best trained tank crews in the world are the British, Germans and yanks. The Russians can't afford much training.

Because l'm British and the such, tally ho, chin, chin and l would love a cup of Tea. I'd say that the British Challenger 2 is the best tank, due to the fact its battle proven, the crews are some of the best trained in the world and l think the challenger 2 losses in combat are none (l think)

Just watched a documentry on Sky.... The British are testing a new armour system, so if it is not the best in the world, it may soon be.

Please feel free to pick holes in this... At the end of the day, sod being on the reciving end of any tank!
l41e
+677|6666

M1A2/TUSK. Challenger 2 w/applique armor/side skirts. Leopard 2A6. T90 w/Arena APS. Type 90. Type 99. Leclerc AZUR.

They're all good tanks. What's all the complaining about? It's not like American infantry are going to go "LOLZ T90 N00B IMA KILL J00 WIT MAI BERETA!!!11 LLOL" just because it's a T-90 as opposed to an Abrams or Challenger. The differences are miniscule. Besides, nowadays, who do tanks fight? Infantry. Not other tanks.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6599|SE London

The Challenger 2 and the M1A2 are the best proven tanks in the world by quite a long way. On paper the Leopard 2 A6 looks better, but it hasn't seen enough proper combat to make any real judgements. The T-92 could also be a contender for best tank, but I don't know enough about it. The Merkava is a flimsy, rubbish tank that gets blown up every 5 minutes - remember Lebannon?

I do know that documentaries about tanks tend to be complete bollocks. A friend of mine is currently working on a program about tanks (for National Geographic I think), in which they have decided to focus on the Abrahms and say it is the best current tank, despite the fact that the two lead researchers think the Leopard 2 is the best, followed by the Challenger 2, then the M1A2. The reason they have chosen to take this approach is all about how much information they can manage to get hold of about interesting things to put in the documentary, not about how good the tanks are at all. When they approached the MoD about the Challenger 2 they were given very little information and the armour, which is the interesting part of the Challenger 2, is all totally classified. They chose instead to go with the M1A2 and focus on its gun, the L44 I think, which isn't as good as the L55 fitted to newer Leopard 2s - but fires a nice range of NATO anti-tank rounds, which lots of information is available on.

The Challenger series of tanks have by far and away the best combat performance figures. No Challengers were lost through their entire service history and they hold the record for the longest tank to tank kill (which happened during Operation Desert Storm, I think), final KDR more than 300-0. The Challenger 2 has had only one loss, which was due to being shot by another Challenger 2.

There is no doubt the M1A2 is a very good tank, but I don't think anyone could really pick one from the top 3, they're all damn good. On paper, the Leopard 2 looks best, on performance figures the Challenger 2 looks best and the M1A2 looks damn good whichever way you look at it. They're all great.
seymorebutts443
Ready for combat
+211|6612|Belchertown Massachusetts, USA

The_Guardsman wrote:

sdlettonieCZLV wrote:

On the best tank in the world debate... you have to inclued if its battle proven or not and the training of the crew inside it. You could have the best Tank in the world with a bunch of monkeys working it!
The M1 is battle proven along with the Challenger, a couple of Russian T varient tanks (not including the T90) And maybe the Israeli tank Merkava.
Some of the best trained tank crews in the world are the British, Germans and yanks. The Russians can't afford much training.

Because l'm British and the such, tally ho, chin, chin and l would love a cup of Tea. I'd say that the British Challenger 2 is the best tank, due to the fact its battle proven, the crews are some of the best trained in the world and l think the challenger 2 losses in combat are none (l think)

Just watched a documentry on Sky.... The British are testing a new armour system, so if it is not the best in the world, it may soon be.

Please feel free to pick holes in this... At the end of the day, sod being on the reciving end of any tank!
Isralis have the most experience with tank battles, various wars with various mideast nations. they have the best tankies i can think of. The challenger uses Chobam armor which is the equivalent of 800mm of protection. i'd say the best tank in the world goes to either the Leaprod 2 or the Abrams, although the Challenger is still a force to be reckond with, british tankers in the 1st gulf conflict took out iraqi T-72s at ranges up to 5000m. alot longer than what the americans were engaging at.

Last edited by seymorebutts443 (2007-02-05 13:50:48)

Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6784|UK
I dont know much about tanks tbh other than small snips ive read and seen.

Abrams is a well seasoned tank from what i can tell. Reliable, good gun, good armour.
Challenger is also a well seasoned tank 300-0 pretty good. Best armour like ever, fastest tank off road.
No fucking idea about the leapard other than what it looks like gotta read up on that.
syntaxmax642
+32|6642|Seattle

MoonShadow616 wrote:

Yeah maybe next time the Brits are screaming SAVE US... We just stay out of it.. God knows they cant build an army to save themselves or their dammned Queen...
syntaxmax642
+32|6642|Seattle

seymorebutts443 wrote:

The_Guardsman wrote:

sdlettonieCZLV wrote:

Isralis have the most experience with tank battles, various wars with various mideast nations. they have the best tankies i can think of. The challenger uses Chobam armor which is the equivalent of 800mm of protection. i'd say the best tank in the world goes to either the Leaprod 2 or the Abrams, although the Challenger is still a force to be reckond with, british tankers in the 1st gulf conflict took out iraqi T-72s at ranges up to 5000m. alot longer than what the americans were engaging at.
The Americans were shooting at closer targets because we have always liked to see the whites of their eyes.. Just like the dammned redcoats... (kill the officers first then the men wont know what to do)

Also... the Abrahms is best for Pwning N00bs... (Abrahms WHore FTW)

Last edited by syntaxmax642 (2007-02-05 14:00:12)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard