spray_and_pray
+52|6509|Perth. Western Australia
Well as some of you might know I bought a new PC on the 3rd/1/07 so far its been running great. Yesterday it didn't want to boot windows, I had to use the windows disk and enter the command scandsk to check my hard drive as well as running a fix boot. The fix boot didn't help so I did the scan disk. It found an error said some other crap I restarted and windows loaded blazing fast. Great I thought, so I ran another scan disk on startup (this time without CD) its been on 60% for about 3 hours without budging. The HDD I have is a 300GB Seagate SATA II 7200RPM with a 8 meg cache. Will I have to return it to the manufacturer (netplus (where I got it) has a return policy within 3 days of purchase.) What is the return to manufacturer policy on HDD's after 30 days? Ive never had to return anything I ever bought with a PC for the last 9 or so years ive been using them. Is there a way to fix this problem or is it a hardware error.
Stealth42o
She looked 18 to me officer
+175|6690
As far as the return policy your going to have to goto there website and find out.  Should be a year at least parts and labor.

Downside, you pay for shipping and your will be without a HD for 2-4 weeks.

Last edited by Stealth42o (2007-01-31 23:13:57)

spray_and_pray
Run: 1/02/2007 4:42:32 PM

NVIDIA nForce 590/570/550 Serial ATA Controller : SAMSUNG HD300LJ
Model:        SAMSUNG HD300LJ
Serial Number:    S0D7J1FL904802
Capacity:        300.07 GB
Test result:    Self-test routine completed with a S.M.A.R.T. alert error!

The Drive Self-Test has determined that the drive may have one or more failing sectors.  Please run SeaTools Desktop for additional information about this problem.
Any drive reporting a S.M.A.R.T. error should be considered likely to fail at any time. You should back up your data from any such drive as soon as possible. Contact your computer or hard drive vendor to obtain return information.

Let me run their Desktop version and see what happens. It seems to tell me im in deep shit.
spray_and_pray
Edit* HDD is samsung my bad..... too used to my old f*cked up baracuda.

After running desktop tools my HDD failed to pass the tests it said if any files are missing I should immediately stop using the HDD and transfer off everything important. Thats when I remembered that I did miss some files (i thought it was a virus) it however did say that if it was caused to an incorrect startup defrag or scndsk  will help. I tried both Scan Disk blocks at 60% and Defrag blocks at 60% analyzing. Not good.

Last edited by spray_and_pray (2007-02-01 01:19:38)

MagikTrik
yes.....but your still gay
+138|6389|Pittsburgh, PA USA
I'd send it back as soon as I could, sooner you do it the sooner you'll get it back
spray_and_pray

MagikTrik wrote:

I'd send it back as soon as I could, sooner you do it the sooner you'll get it back
Or I can just throw it outta the window for laughs.... Maybe not... Setting it on fire would be much more amusing and harmful to me ..... Then again it was $150 AU.... sigh.
joker3327
=IBF2=
+305|6616|Cheshire. UK
If you back up your stuff you could reformat and see if that cures it....sometimes does...

http://hddguru.com/content/en/software/ … rmat-Tool/

Try that...it worked for me !
spray_and_pray
Isn't it also possible to reformat using Windows?
B00MH3ADSH0T
Fresh NoobCaeks Here
+118|6408|Penrith,Nsw, Aus

spray_and_pray wrote:

Isn't it also possible to reformat using Windows?
Yes

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard