Ikarti
Banned - for ever.
+231|6716|Wilmington, DE, US
Does anyone even know anyone who celebrates this? I dated this girl who knew this family that celebrated when she was like 10 so she celebrated it once but that's as close as I can get.

Discuss
xX[Elangbam]Xx
+107|6705
its mostly African American
polarbearz
Raiders of the Lost Bear
+-1,474|6796|Singapore

Uh. Huh.

*Looks Intelligent*
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6848|Cologne, Germany

what the hell is "Kwanzaa" anyway ? somebdy pls explain...
polarbearz
Raiders of the Lost Bear
+-1,474|6796|Singapore

SCHUSS IS THE STUPID ONE! I was going to ask that but I was waiting for someone else to look stupid. Anyway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kwanzaa

Its some secular holiday honoring African American Heritage. Hmm. Karenga looks gangsta-cool in that pic in wiki though.
Buffnuggles
+11|6740|The Hague, Netherlands
Just Google a little bit and you find the answers.

"Kwanzaa is a unique African American celebration with focus on the traditional African values of family, community responsibility, commerce, and self-improvement. Kwanzaa is neither political nor religious and despite some misconceptions, is not a substitute for Christmas. It is simply a time of reaffirming African-American people, their ancestors and culture. Kwanzaa, which means "first fruits of the harvest" in the African language Kiswahili, has gained tremendous acceptance. Since its founding in 1966 by Dr. Maulana Karenga, Kwanzaa has come to be observed by more than18 million people worldwide, as reported by the New York Times. When establishing Kwanzaa in 1966, Dr. Karenga included an additional "a" to the end of the spelling to reflect the difference between the African American celebration (kwanzaa) and the Motherland spelling (kwanza)."
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6848|Cologne, Germany

polarbearz wrote:

SCHUSS IS THE STUPID ONE! I was going to ask that but I was waiting for someone else to look stupid. Anyway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kwanzaa

Its some secular holiday honoring African American Heritage. Hmm. Karenga looks gangsta-cool in that pic in wiki though.
well, maybe I was just too lazy to google it myself

thx for the answer guys.

from what I've read it's like the german "Erntedankfest", which also celebrates the first harvest.
Maybe a sort of black thanksgiving ?
Ikarti
Banned - for ever.
+231|6716|Wilmington, DE, US
I had to explain Kwanzaa to a Nigerian once, who said it was stupid.
Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6844
I think its a made up holiday so "everyone can be happy" it goes along with made up Civilizations that give people a scense of Heritage like Nubia. lol

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard