Thats ridiculous alt tab doesn't work with bf2142
JaMrulezass
+47|6472|Hong Kong
nice
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6505

RoofusMcDoofus wrote:

Get a cheap-o monitor (buy, cheat, steal, whatever) and stick it next to your old one.  It doesn't have to be pretty, it just has to work.  Most any card capable of playing 2142 will also be capable of dual screen. Good luck.
yeah, good luck trying this with SLI...fail
Zefar
+116|6657|Sweden
I can alt tab when I'm in BFHQ but in the other options part I get a black screen that I can't do anything about. Except restarting the game.
NooBesT
Pizzahitler
+873|6477

Strange... I have always alt + tabbed out and it has worked fine for me... No problems at all.
https://i.imgur.com/S9bg2.png
RoofusMcDoofus
+15|6583

burni$te wrote:

RoofusMcDoofus wrote:

Get a cheap-o monitor (buy, cheat, steal, whatever) and stick it next to your old one.  It doesn't have to be pretty, it just has to work.  Most any card capable of playing 2142 will also be capable of dual screen. Good luck.
yeah, good luck trying this with SLI...fail
First of all, SLI is a lame hack designed to do little more than separate stupid people from their money.  Secondly, SLI is not all it's cracked up to be.  Thirdly, SLI is a still a lame hack designed to do little more than separate stupid people from their money.  Fourthly, if you had brains (buying into SLI would be contrary to having brains, IMHO***), you'd go out and get a separate PCI video card to use in non-SLI mode, and you'd use that for your second monitor, and you'd STFU.

If you're any kind of nerd, you probably have half a dozen cards, if not more, that would do the job quite acceptably.

***Excepting the scenario where one would buy a second card to do SLI for a little performance boost after the price drops substantially on that card.  For example, say you bought a 6800 when it was new, and it's getting long in the tooth.  You find a second 6800 for cheap and say "yippie, I don't have to go drop Benjamins on a brand new top of the line card, because this will be cheaper, and will yield nearly the same performance!"
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6505

RoofusMcDoofus wrote:

Fourthly, if you had brains (buying into SLI would be contrary to having brains, IMHO***), you'd go out and get a separate PCI video card to use in non-SLI mode, and you'd use that for your second monitor, and you'd STFU.If you're any kind of nerd, you probably have half a dozen cards, if not more, that would do the job quite acceptably.

btw the way your user name is fitting.
why wouldn't i want better frames if i had the capability of getting them? is crossfire in the same league as sli?
i have half a dozen cards. they are pci-E and in use in three machines. i also have a laptop.

your arguments only make sense to a bitter, enviuos chump who would settle. instead of a machine that truly performs at it's best, you propose a solution that is "cheap".

i didn't buy my first sli setup:
http://www.hardocp.com/news.html?news=M … IgLDIwMDU=
i was so impressed with the performance, i bought and put together another system like it. and then upgraded my original machine. just because YOU don't have sli, you attack someone who points out that your cheapass, half-witted, 90's tech approach wouldn't work with todays' BEST video technology. the lemon you suck tastes so sweet because you are so bitter...
RoofusMcDoofus
+15|6583

burni$te wrote:

btw the way your user name is fitting.
why wouldn't i want better frames if i had the capability of getting them? is crossfire in the same league as sli?
i have half a dozen cards. they are pci-E and in use in three machines. i also have a laptop.

your arguments only make sense to a bitter, enviuos chump who would settle. instead of a machine that truly performs at it's best, you propose a solution that is "cheap".

i didn't buy my first sli setup:
http://www.hardocp.com/news.html?news=M … IgLDIwMDU=
i was so impressed with the performance, i bought and put together another system like it. and then upgraded my original machine. just because YOU don't have sli, you attack someone who points out that your cheapass, half-witted, 90's tech approach wouldn't work with todays' BEST video technology. the lemon you suck tastes so sweet because you are so bitter...
What the hell does any of that that have to do with anything?  You get off to SLI?  Fine.  Whatever works for you, but still I think you're a moron with too much money to spend, but the former is irregardless of the point, and the prior is exactly the point at hand. 

So you've SLI and you think it's the best thing since sliced bread.  However, you don't think it's going to work with dual monitors, and you're right; SLI mode cards won't work with dual monitors, because SLI is a silly little hack, but an excellent sales gimmick.  However, a smart person would think out of the box, and stick an old PCI video card that's just laying around, otherwise acting as a landing pad for dust mites, into one of those fresh and empty shiny little PCI-e slots (yes, it's backwards compatible), and use that for their second monitor (or third, fourth and so-on).

On the other hand, a-not-so-smart person would stick their thumb up their ass and spout some nigh-incompressible stuff like the above quoted text, when the fact is, they probably don't even have a basic understanding of how the stuff works, and they mostly like SLI because they think it makes a good metric for penis size.  However, I guess some people will never get it, no matter how hard they're beat with the cluestick.

Furthermore, if you think that little toy box you have encompasses the best video technology the era has to offer, you'd shit all over yourself if you got a glimpse of the things I've played with over the years--assuming of course, that you actually understood any of it.
l41e
+677|6656

RoofusMcDoofus wrote:

the point at hand.
No, it's not.

This topic was about a workaround to the 2142 Alt-Tab problem that many people have been having. What both of you are discussing has nothing to do with the original topic. Take your PCI/SLI stuff to another topic.
RoofusMcDoofus
+15|6583

k30dxedle wrote:

RoofusMcDoofus wrote:

the point at hand.
No, it's not.

This topic was about a workaround to the 2142 Alt-Tab problem that many people have been having. What both of you are discussing has nothing to do with the original topic. Take your PCI/SLI stuff to another topic.
You see, I was trying to interject a superior alternative solution (IMHO), and enrich everyone's gaming experience when some luser arrogantly said it wouldn't work with this particular setup.  I don't even care about the rest of this, but if some lame brain is going to say, in effect, that I don't know my stuff, I'm not going to stand idly by and look like a dumpkopf.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6505

k30dxedle wrote:

No, it's not.
you're right. i do apologize and didn't mean to derail. regardless of the bs that flies around here, i don't like it when threads deteriorate either. the alt +tab problem is why i read the thread, and could not help responding to some doofus's remark, which did not further the topic. if the next patch fixes it, or someone else has a viable, practical workaround, i'll keep checking to see if it gets posted.
Xenoscope
+2|6391
Ok this is not working for me, do I need to change my desktop resolution or in-game resolution for it to work?

Once I click the icon, the game loads in a windowed mode in which I can't move the window or maximize it, also the Username and Password both show up out of their "places".
IsaacLeavitt
+24|6359

k30dxedle wrote:

I found a solution to the BF2142 Alt+Tabbing problem, where people just got the black screen when going back in.

Answer: Run it in windowed mode.

1. Create a new shortcut.
2. When it tells you to put in the location, copy+paste the below string (all of it).

"F:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Battlefield 2142\BF2142.exe" +menu 1 +fullscreen 0

3. Name your new shortcut.
4. Put it in a convenient location.
5. Play.

Added benefits:

-You can run TS/Ventrilo on the side. You won't need TS Overlay or to memorize everyone's voices because you can see the flashing dots beside your game.
-You can do other stuff while loading.
-If your game happens to crash, running it in windowed mode will often give you a helpful error message (unless it's a CTD, in which case you won't get one either way).

Hope this helped.
this is pretty cool man, it will really be handy for the Admins in my clan who are always having to minimize  the game to run RCON and TeamSpeak...

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard