ShotYourSix
Boldly going nowhere...
+196|6727|Las Vegas
Lately I've become infatuated with the idea of creating music through software. I've downloaded demos of Reason 3.0, Fruity Loops Studio 6, and Sonar 6 Producer, but to say the least I'm overwhelmed and have no idea what the hell I'm doing.

I have several questions:

1: For a noob like me, what would you suggest for a starting point. Dive right in to the professional level software, grit my teeth and learn it from the ground up? Or start with something simpler like a consumer level application?

2: If I were to purchase one of the above 3 applications, which do you think would be the best choice? Am I missing any obvious choices which I should also consider?

3: Could you direct me to any links which might help me to get myself up to speed with regard to digital music creation in general or application specific guides for the above software? Video guides would be especially helpful....

I can't remember feeling so excited about something in a long time, thanks for any suggestions you could offer.
OneEyedFatKid
+3|6628|Mechanicsburg PA, USA
If you're gonna play from a keyboard synth I'd go with Sonar.  I use Steinberg Cubase myself.  Software like Cubase and Sonar will record audio and midi tracks and have nice drum and keyeditting features.  Reason only records midi but has loads of different patches and effects.  All you'd need for that is a 25 key midi controller keyboard because all your patches will be on Reason. The only thing I'm not crazy about is the sequencer in Reason it's not as nice as the others. 

http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums … orum_id=19
Coolbeano
Level 13.5 BF2S Ninja Penguin Sensei
+378|6771

What's your musical theory background? It makes a big difference.
ShotYourSix
Boldly going nowhere...
+196|6727|Las Vegas

Coolbeano wrote:

What's your musical theory background? It makes a big difference.
Not much to speak of.  I played trumpet for 6 years during jr. and sr. high school (complete with weekly tutoring from a local university prof.)  3 years of A cappella choir (for the chicks damnit!!!) I dabbled with a local jazz oriented band for a couple years after high school until the egos of some of the band members brought about a rather spectacular implosion.  Bit of a guitar hack (but still improving daily).

I can read music fine, but i'd have to say my knowledge of musical theory is pretty weak...though i'm not entirely convinced that a background in theory is requisite to creating compelling music.  At any rate, my intentions are not so much to create music that will impress others, I'm just looking for an interesting hobby that will provide an outlet for my need to be creative. Combined with my lust for all things musical, it just seems like a perfect match.
CommieChipmunk
+488|6577|Portland, OR, USA
fruity loops is really tight.  I have a friend whose pretty crazy at it.  It's not something you learn really its just kinda inside of you... cool stuff though
XISIX
+116|6622
Cool !

Good luck with it.  I've been releasing music for past 17 years or so.

Started off making soundtrack for my own video pieces.

Kinda dark dance elektro

http://www.myspace.com/xisix

Used primarily mac + but recently used a bit of pc software.

Reason's alright but sound quality always has kinda bugged.  Much better in 3.0.

Check out  Ableton Live

http://www.ableton.com

Pretty basic + useful program.  PC/Mac compatible.
Bounce down files.  Trigger clips.  Midi.

AS far as whether to use dumb or complicated programs - I'd go for higher quality + then learn more further along the road.

p.s - e.q + compression make a huge difference.
d4rkst4r
biggie smalls
+72|6461|Ontario, Canada
i have sonar 6, its wicked heres what you do:

- get guitar pro and write out the music in there
- open it up in sonar 6 for mixing
"you know life is what we make it, and a chance is like a picture, it'd be nice if you just take it"
oChaos.Haze
+90|6446
One thing I like about *gasp* Sony Acid, is that it combines right into Reason.  You can have both running feeding right off of each other, same BPM, time, yadda yadda yadda.  I've seen this with Protools as well, but if you're just starting, I'd say use Acid, or Fruity maybe.  Protools can be a bitch.  Ableton is cool, but I find it far better for live use.  I really like reason, with the combinator, and all the synth you can get going that just sounds so real.  Reason's strings, brass, and piano all sound really good.  And with a midi kb, you can just play it right out, and Reason records it and sets it in there for you.  I learned Reason by myself, it can be done.  Just patience, and look into the tutorials, and the premade files that come with it.  Look and see what they do, try to mimic it at first, then just add your own twist and voila.  You'll be fine.  So in synopsis, I say use Reason for any synth you want, then rope it right into Acid for any live recording, such as vocals or guitars.  There you can line them all up side by side and affect the volume, effects and such on each track.  Good luck man, post a linkie to some of your stuff when it's done.

Last edited by oChaos.Haze (2007-01-23 00:26:25)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6608|132 and Bush

CommieChipmunk wrote:

fruity loops is really tight.  I have a friend whose pretty crazy at it.  It's not something you learn really its just kinda inside of you... cool stuff though
Fruity loops would be my suggestion as well.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6782|Noizyland

I wish I had a recording studio. I can play a lot of instruments well, but I don't know theory very well. Gave up[p theory when I gave up piano lessons, (when I was 13.)

I'm really stoked so many of you know how to run this stuff, I'll be sure to keep an eye on this thread.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Coolbeano
Level 13.5 BF2S Ninja Penguin Sensei
+378|6771

Fruity Loops (actually it's FL Studio after version 5.0 to make the name less homosexually oriented) is good, but it has its limitations, mainly due with time stretches and pitch changing. Guitar Pro, believe it or not, is a great tool for not guitars but synth recording via MIDI, and you can put in bends, whammys and vibratos which can enhance your sounds really well.

And your musical background should be enough. Granted, you won't be the next Derek Sherinian or Jordan Rudess, but knowing notes and the basic theory is enough to get you started. Play around with FL Studio and Guitar Pro, as well as anything else you can get your hands on. Remember, don't just stick to one program, use each for what its best at and then put everything together.
ShotYourSix
Boldly going nowhere...
+196|6727|Las Vegas
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.....this really helps me to get a glimpse of the overall picture. 

So far I've been experimenting with the demos of Reason 3.0, FL Studio 6, and Sonar 6 Producer.  Reason seems by far to be the most intuitive to me.  I've gotten some really interesting results with the Redrum/Matrix/Subtracter that are far better than anything I have been able to do achieve with the other two apps.  I can't buy 'em all, so Reason is the one for me for now...at this point I really need to concentrate on what I'm comfortable with, there will be plenty of time later to focus on what is technically superior. 

My current dilemma is which KB to buy (M-Audio Ozone or 02 are tempting) but then I also wonder if I should go for a full size KB.  Any suggestions here?

Also, I am using an Audigy 2 ZS.  I realize that this is a compromise, but what soundcard should I be looking at and at what point is it really necessary.  I would imagine that the ZS is fine for now while I am navigating the learning curve.  Any opinions here?

Thanks again for your opinions, I'm kinda lost in the dark here.....

EDIT: XISIX:  Been reading up on Ableton Live, I really like what I'm hearing but at this point I'm leaning heavily toward Reason 3.0.....

Last edited by ShotYourSix (2007-01-23 22:27:05)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard