7eregrine
+1|6437
When I flash my headlights at you! It means "can I please get past you?". It DOES NOT mean 'Move over A******!".
In Europe, and it used to be likewise in the States, it's called USING YOUR PASSING LIGHTS!

Am I alone here? Or do you flash your lights when you are ticked off?
Volatile
+252|6707|Sextupling in Empire

Flash your headlights at a trucker and it means "Somethings fucking wrong, PULL OVER!!". I think?

I know that turning off the headlights momentarily tells the truck ahead of me that its ok to merge into my lane.

7eregrine wrote:

Or do you flash your lights when you are ticked off?
There are a lot of angry and impatient drivers these days(at least here in arizona, USA), that truly are a bunch of cock mongers that are looking to engage in road rage.

Last edited by Volatile_Squirrel (2007-01-17 20:47:20)

Dressed In Decay
+14|6540
I think its frowned upon around here, I usually just go past the guy. When I get pissed at someone I'll usually flash my brights a few times at them, that usually gets me stared down at the next stop light..
TuataraDude
+115|6525|Aotearoa
Flashing your lights at on-coming traffic means they will be coming up to a cop with a radar.
Flashing lights at a car trying to merge into your lane means "Go ahead".
Flashing lights while driving behind someone means "I'm coming through". If you toot the horn briefly when passing to say "Thanks you". Be careful though, too long and the initial message changes to "Outta my way dick!": and as you pass it means "Moron!".

It's all in the context.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6532|Global Command
Flashing your brights at somebody in L.A. may result in a hail of gunfire.
CommieChipmunk
+488|6573|Portland, OR, USA
flashing your brights means that you need to turn on your lights.
delta4bravo*nl*
Dutch Delight
+68|6755
flash your light at me while driving and you will come to a complete stop...
I hate drivers that flash lights or drive so close behind you, that you cant even see their hood.
Usualy I just hit the brakes...Hard.
Yaocelotl
:D
+221|6653|Keyboard
Flashing your tits in Mardi Grass means that you want beads.
Stealth42o
She looked 18 to me officer
+175|6675

7eregrine wrote:

When I flash my headlights at you! It means "can I please get past you?". It DOES NOT mean 'Move over A******!".
In Europe, and it used to be likewise in the States, it's called USING YOUR PASSING LIGHTS!

It can mean many things in the states, in my state it can mean "Cop up ahead, or Dear in the road".

Semi trucks know what it means, passenger cars not so much.
=ST6=SewerMaster
AK Whore
+152|6799|Barrington, RI
it can also mean turn off your high-beams
delta4bravo*nl*
Dutch Delight
+68|6755

Stealth42o wrote:

7eregrine wrote:

It can mean many things in the states, in my state it can mean "Cop up ahead, or Dear in the road".

Semi trucks know what it means, passenger cars not so much.
Dude we where talking about flashing from behind, I know in the USA you can overtake from left or right on freeway but in most countries in europe that can result into heafty fines.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6775|PNW

CommieChipmunk wrote:

flashing your brights means that you need to turn on your lights.
The usual.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2007-01-17 22:02:07)

Ice Cold Killa
+26|6447|Perth, W.A, Australia.
i thought it meant "Speed Camera Up Ahead"
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6634|Finland

This are my motives:

Flashing lights to oncoming traffic:

- "Your headlights are off"
- "Your high beams are on"
- "Cops!"
- "Animals on the road"
- "Accident ahead"

Flashing lights to the one in front of you

- "Tail lights are out"
- "Your car is broken, pull over"
- "I'm being a prick"
I need around tree fiddy.
INFERNO552
One shot wonder
+62|6443|canada
well where i drive flashing your lights mean theyre comin up to some cops
MrPredictable
+14|6689
Flashing your lights into oncomming traffic up here (yukon, canada) means that either your lights are off or your highbeams are on. Flashing into the person in front of you is meant to wake them up/be a dickhead. If there is a cop/animal/accident ahead you turn on your hazards for 2 flashes.
Dieselboy
Flicker of beans since 1986
+87|6553|Reading, Basingrad

DonFck wrote:

Flashing lights to the one in front of you

- "Tail lights are out"
- "Your car is broken, pull over"
- "I'm being a prick"
Here - Flashing your lights to the one in front means "I am a company exec with a new BMW and obviously more important than you.......I am also a fucking retard"
blisteringsilence
I'd rather hunt with Cheney than ride with Kennedy
+83|6705|Little Rock, Arkansas

delta4bravo*nl* wrote:

flash your light at me while driving and you will come to a complete stop...
I hate drivers that flash lights or drive so close behind you, that you cant even see their hood.
Usualy I just hit the brakes...Hard.
You try this with me, I will get on my portable, call dispatch, and have one of the friendly (to me) gentlemen from A Troop write you a ticket and explain why they don't like smartasses. And the judge down here doesn't look kindly on smartasses either.

delta4bravo*nl* wrote:

Dude we where talking about flashing from behind, I know in the USA you can overtake from left or right on freeway but in most countries in europe that can result into heafty fines.
Actually, in the United States you *cannot* overtake in the right hand lane. It *is* against the law, and *will* result in a hefty fine if you're caught doing it. Down here, you're liable to be charged both with overtaking in the driving lane and careless and imprudent driving. Meaning you're going to be forking over something in the neighborhood of $500 to the state as pennance.

Actually, while we're on the topic, it is also illegal to flash your lights at oncoming traffic to warn of a police officer ahead. The statute violated is improper use of a signaling device, and the reason is that not all cops on the side of the road are speedtrapping. They could be waiting for someone. A domestic abuser, a child abuser, a kidnapper, a violent criminal.

Please don't flash your lights to let folks know there's a police officer ahead.

Last edited by blisteringsilence (2007-01-18 09:41:20)

usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6370|Columbus, Ohio
If you flash your lights at me, you better have a quick reaction on your brake pedal.
[TUF]Whiskey_Oktober
mmmm...Toasty!
+91|6725|Oregon
if i want to pass someone, i leave my turn left turn-signal on. i do it when im in Germany too (rich cousin's + Audi = ), you get in the left lane, turn on your left blinker, and leave it on. its my way of saying "if your in my way, get out cause im going a hellufa lot faster then you." most people (in Europe at least) recognize what this means.
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6844|Cologne, Germany

moved to junk drawer
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6370|Columbus, Ohio

B.Schuss wrote:

moved to junk drawer
You forgot to flash your lights.
smtt686
this is the best we can do?
+95|6634|USA
If your in the left lane (U.S.) and you someone flashes you from behind, you need to get the fuck over.  Quit playing the moral conscience of the highway and let traffic flow.  Too many times I have been behind 2 idiots playing games because one guy thinks 67mph is fast enough when someone wants to go around and go faster and just causes traffic to back up behind them.  If you think its funny slam on the brakes on a highway when someone flashes you, you will be in just as much trouble as the guy who hit you. 

Basically, move over and play nice.  Its not a race to home, work, shopping or whatever.  The left lane is for passing and if your not passing your just an asshole!
13rin
+977|6482
Screw light flashing.  I installed a CB with a loud PA in it.  I just talk into the mic.  For example:

"Hey your spare tire is falling off"
"Could I please merge?"
"Sure I'll let you out"
"You tail light is out"
"Thanks"
"You Dickhead!"
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
blisteringsilence
I'd rather hunt with Cheney than ride with Kennedy
+83|6705|Little Rock, Arkansas

DBBrinson1 wrote:

Screw light flashing.  I installed a CB with a loud PA in it.  I just talk into the mic.  For example:

"Hey your spare tire is falling off"
"Could I please merge?"
"Sure I'll let you out"
"You tail light is out"
"Thanks"
"You Dickhead!"
Our sirens on the rigs have PA's built into them. On the drive back from a far-away transport, I really enjoy amusing nearby vehicles with Family Guy quotes. People love 'em.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard